PDA

View Full Version : Powers for my Fighter/Psion(Nomad) gish

danielxcutter
2017-05-23, 10:38 PM
Heya, guys. I'm in a PbP now, and my character's a Fighter 2/Psion(Nomad) 3, as the title says. Could you guys suggest some what powers I should choose?

Our party is a Catfolk blastlock(who's planning to enter Hellfire Warlock and dip a level of Binder, a Pixie Swordsage with Shadow Blade, a Whisper Gnome Cloistered Cleric with Travel and Knowledge, plus the devotion feats(traded extra domain for Knowledge, got Travel from HD) who doesn't really plan to optimize that much.

Here's the powers I've selected:

1st:

Vigor: I have a psicrystal

Inertial Armor: this one is important; I only have a +1 padding for armor.

Energy Ray: having a backup direct damage power will probably be useful.

Entangling Ectoplasm: duh

Detect Psionics

2nd:

Share Pain: see Vigor

Dimension Swap: hey, it's a Nomad power, and the Psychic Warrior handbook also says it's nice.

Here's the powers I'm probably going to take, unless they're a huge NOPE.

2nd

Energy Adaption, Specified: I hear this is better than the general version.

Feat Leech: feat battery combo, yes! DM specifically allowed it.

3rd

Dispel Psionics: Of course.

Time Hop: I don't think locks have high Will saves, and that's not even the most creative usage of this power.

4th

Open Chakra, Psionic: I have Shape Soulmeld(Shedu Crown), and the DM greenlighted Mindsight.

Psychic Reformation: Pretty sure this one's a no-brainer.

Fly, Psionic: Flight is good.

5th

Anticipatory Strike: I'm not sure how often I'll use this, but it's a good "end this, NOW" button, since I can dish out two full attacks in a row with this, among other things.

True Seeing, Psionic: Aka, screw illusions.

6th

Temporal Acceleration: Time Stop, as a 6th level power. I'm planning to get Extend Power and Metapower(Extend Power+Temporal Acceleration).

Inconstant Location: Move and full attack. Even better since the DM banned research, so I might not have the feats to grab Hustle.

7th

Planar Champion: For one, it has flavor, since I plan to enter Slayer and choose Cerebrilith as my favored enemy. For another, the research ban means no Astral Construct.

8th

Planar Bond: Flavor, coolness, and honestly it doesn't suck either.

And here's the powers I'm considering but not sure about taking.

3rd

Energy Wall: BFC and decent damage, but not sure.

Telekinetic Thrust: Cool, but not sure if direct damage helps, like, at all. Probably going to pick either this or Energy Wall.

4th

Intellect Fortress: I like this, but there could be better choices.

Freedom of Movement, Psionic: Great, but there are ways of getting around taking it as a power.

5th

Power Resistance: Hmm... should I? It's nice, but there are other good powers...

Major Creation, Psionic: Useful. Not sure if I should pick this up, or another buff power, though.

6th

Retrieve: Fun, and funny, but I'm still on the fence.

Disintegrate, Psionic: Utility/SoD. Utility is nice; SoD isn't bad since I have an 18 in Int, but gishes prefer buffs. So... yeah. Note, I really like this power, but is it worth it at all?

Contingency, Psionic: Good for saving my butt, but since I'm the meatshield my butt probably shouldn't be the first to be in trouble.

I'm open to suggestions.

Manyasone
2017-05-23, 10:56 PM
...a Pixie whatever...
I cringe everytime...

Reformation is a take, use and forget since you can use it every level. Also too bad you can't take hustle unless you use a feat.

danielxcutter
2017-05-23, 11:20 PM
I cringe everytime...

Uh... why? Too OP or too fragile?

Reformation is a take, use and forget since you can use it every level.

True, but honestly I'm seriously considering on keeping it, for the flavor + you never know just what will happen...

Also too bad you can't take hustle unless you use a feat.

Yeah, major annoying. :smallannoyed: It's a shame the DM's banned research. I was going to learn Astral Construct and Hustle, maybe Schism too, but oh well...

Manyasone
2017-05-23, 11:29 PM
Uh... why? Too OP or too fragile?

True, but honestly I'm seriously considering on keeping it, for the flavor + you never know just what will happen...

Yeah, major annoying. :smallannoyed: It's a shame the DM's banned research. I was going to learn Astral Construct and Hustle, maybe Schism too, but oh well...

The pixie, I just don't get it, the appeal.
Unless it's Tinkerbell...
Anyway. If you will keep Reformation and are willing to fork the xp everytime you can actually use it to give the relevant feat since it doesn't care about lists.
What is the general idea? Slayer? Elocator?

danielxcutter
2017-05-23, 11:38 PM
The pixie, I just don't get it, the appeal.
Unless it's Tinkerbell...

Pixies have an insane Dex bonus, they get Weapon Finesse and Dodge as bonus feats, SR that scales with class levels, DR 10/cold iron(which is hard for monsters to penetrate), and also have Greater Invisibility as a SLA, along with a few other perks. Pixie Swordsages and Warlocks are very rare examples of being worth an LA over +3.

Anyway. If you will keep Reformation and are willing to fork the xp everytime you can actually use it to give the relevant feat since it doesn't care about lists.
What is the general idea? Slayer? Elocator?

Um... I don't have any spare feats to trade away with Reformation, or to be honest any spare feats at all.

As for the next question... you really should have checked the list of powers I put in the OP; it says that I'm going to enter Slayer with Cerebrilith for my Favored Enemy.

Kaleph
2017-05-24, 01:31 AM
I'd get rid of inertial armor, since a physical armor tends to be better and more customizable. Why are you limited to padded armor? I can also image I can survive without detect psionics.

I remember I used a similar character, and I've got some use of force screen - a good way to decently increase your AC while still retaining the ability to hold a 2-händer. Combine with linked power for best use.

Other nice powers I liked were evade attack, detect hostile intent (although it's useless if you get mindsight) and telekinetic maneuver. Worthless to say, try to grab as many (tactical/long range) teleportation powers as you can

danielxcutter
2017-05-24, 01:45 AM
I'd get rid of inertial armor, since a physical armor tends to be better and more customizable. Why are you limited to padded armor? I can also image I can survive without detect psionics.

I'm planning to use the padding armor as an enhancement sink and rely on Inertial Armor for the AC. Not the soundest tactic, true, but that's what I want to do, and that's what I'm going to do.

Also, I've already started play, so I'm not going to be able to change that anyways.

I remember I used a similar character, and I've got some use of force screen - a good way to decently increase your AC while still retaining the ability to hold a 2-händer. Combine with linked power for best use.

Force Screen has bad duration, compared to Inertial Armor - though I do admit that it's a nice bonus. As for Linked Power, I actually don't think I'll have the feats to spare.

Other nice powers I liked were evade attack, detect hostile intent (although it's useless if you get mindsight) and telekinetic maneuver. Worthless to say, try to grab as many (tactical/long range) teleportation powers as you can

Honestly, Evade Attack's mostly good for the augmentation, and no more. As for Telekinetic Manever, it loses value once Freedom of Movement becomes common.

Kaleph
2017-05-24, 03:49 AM
I'm planning to use the padding armor as an enhancement sink and rely on Inertial Armor for the AC. Not the soundest tactic, true, but that's what I want to do, and that's what I'm going to do.

Also, I've already started play, so I'm not going to be able to change that anyways.

In this case, forget it.

Force Screen has bad duration, compared to Inertial Armor - though I do admit that it's a nice bonus. As for Linked Power, I actually don't think I'll have the feats to spare.

It's a pity, since you may actually get from time to time a surprise round, and vigor+force screen is a nice combo to link. If it's out of discussion, you can easily replace it with a floating shield.

Honestly, Evade Attack's mostly good for the augmentation, and no more. As for Telekinetic Manever, it loses value once Freedom of Movement becomes common.

True, but evade attack fits thematically with a nomad gish, so flavorwise I'd still recommend it. And, at medium levels, the ability to avoid an attack of an enemy going nova is unvaluable. Regarding telekinetic manoeuvre, it mostly depends on your master, but it can be definitely a solid choice. Freedom of movement is not soooo common (unless your master knows your tactics, wants to nerf you, and start to distribute rings and single-use objects of freedom of movement). Another risk is that the target will escape through dimension door and the like, but telekinesis is still useful also in this case, unless the master decides that the power automatically ends if an enemy teleports away.

EDIT
Regarding some powers you are considering, I can give you my Feedback based on my experience.
Energy ray: yes, some blasting is useful when melee doesn't help (or you are low on HP), and you really need some damage to finish the enemy.
Dimension swap: one of my favorite powers.
Energy Adaptation, specified: I'm not saying it's not great, but your power inventory is limited, and energy protection can be provided by other casters. So I'd skip it.
Psychic Reformation: plan in advance which power/feat you'll replace it. Once you feel the Job is done, replace Reformation itself. At Level 4 I don't see Dimension door, so I'd consider selecting it as a back-up power (that's just me, but I just love this power).
Anticipatory strike: this is the typical power you select and you're happy with, even if you end up using it once in an entire campaign. It's not only about twinning a full attack, but rather scrapping some deadly tactic of your enemy (anticipatory strike --> prepped Action --> counterspell using energy ray vs the spell-of-ultimate-destruction that the enemy caster is dropping).
Inconstant Location: I like it, it has Utility and flavor.
Regarding Level 3 powers, I'd put in the Ballot also touchsight.
Level 4, I consider Dimension door better than Freedom of movement in many cases. Also, wall of ectoplasm may be useful in case you want some BFC. Divination may be a nice alternative.
Level 5, I'd favor ectoplasmic shambler over power resistance. But I second Major creation.

danielxcutter
2017-05-24, 03:54 AM
It's a pity, since you may actually get from time to time a surprise round, and vigor+force screen is a nice combo to link. If it's out of discussion, you can easily replace it with a floating shield.

I am considering whether to ask my DM if I can purchase a dastana later on. The AC specifically stacks with shield AC and armor AC. Although that *and* an animated shield would not be disagreeable.

True, but evade attack fits thematically with a nomad gish, so flavorwise I'd still recommend it. And, at medium levels, the ability to avoid an attack of an enemy going nova is unvaluable. Regarding telekinetic manoeuvre, it mostly depends on your master, but it can be definitely a solid choice. Freedom of movement is not soooo common (unless your master knows your tactics, wants to nerf you, and start to distribute rings and single-use objects of freedom of movement). Another risk is that the target will escape through dimension door and the like, but telekinesis is still useful also in this case, unless the master decides that the power automatically ends if an enemy teleports away.

True, but I think there are many better choices than those.

danielxcutter
2017-05-24, 08:11 AM
EDIT
Regarding some powers you are considering, I can give you my Feedback based on my experience.

Sorry, didn't see this the first time.

Energy ray: yes, some blasting is useful when melee doesn't help (or you are low on HP), and you really need some damage to finish the enemy.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. I'm considering Energy Barrage too, if I think I can spare the powers known. Probably not, though.

Dimension swap: one of my favorite powers.

Well, I'm the beatstick, so this makes tanking much easier.

Energy Adaptation, specified: I'm not saying it's not great, but your power inventory is limited, and energy protection can be provided by other casters. So I'd skip it.

We only have one more caster: our Cloistered Cleric. Plus, it can be augmented to an immediate action manifestation.

Psychic Reformation: plan in advance which power/feat you'll replace it. Once you feel the Job is done, replace Reformation itself. At Level 4 I don't see Dimension door, so I'd consider selecting it as a back-up power (that's just me, but I just love this power).

Eh, it has it's uses, but honestly I'm picking it just in case someone makes a bad build choice that we didn't expect - for example, our Warlock has Mortalbane, which doesn't work on constructs, undead, and outsiders.

Anticipatory strike: this is the typical power you select and you're happy with, even if you end up using it once in an entire campaign. It's not only about twinning a full attack, but rather scrapping some deadly tactic of your enemy (anticipatory strike --> prepped Action --> counterspell using energy ray vs the spell-of-ultimate-destruction that the enemy caster is dropping).

Yeah, once I get this I intend to use it a lot.

Inconstant Location: I like it, it has Utility and flavor.

Especially since I don't have the feats to pick up Hustle via Expanded Knowledge.

Regarding Level 3 powers, I'd put in the Ballot also touchsight.

I plan to get Mindsight, so I don't think I'll need this one.

Level 4, I consider Dimension door better than Freedom of movement in many cases. Also, wall of ectoplasm may be useful in case you want some BFC. Divination may be a nice alternative.

Hmm... I don't really think I'll need Dimension Door, but Wall of Ectoplasm seems worth considering.

Level 5, I'd favor ectoplasmic shambler over power resistance. But I second Major creation.

Okay. Sounds fine.

Calthropstu
2017-05-24, 10:03 AM
Why isn't teleport on the list? Teleport is the single biggest reason for going nomad.

danielxcutter
2017-05-24, 05:12 PM
Why isn't teleport on the list? Teleport is the single biggest reason for going nomad.

Because our Cleric has the Travel domain, which includes Teleport(and if I remember correctly, Greater Teleport).

But yeah, now that I think about it, maybe I should grab that later. Maybe swap it for the greater version with Reformation after that.

Kaleph
2017-05-25, 01:08 AM
Because our Cleric has the Travel domain, which includes Teleport(and if I remember correctly, Greater Teleport).

But yeah, now that I think about it, maybe I should grab that later. Maybe swap it for the greater version with Reformation after that.

The fact is, sometimes you need no teleport at all, sometimes you need it 4 times in a day. Same for dimension door.

Actually we elaborated several times strategies based on teleportation (short and long range), and my nomad was vital for it. I didn't regret all those teleportation powers, although I wasn't using them every day.

danielxcutter
2017-05-25, 01:16 AM
The fact is, sometimes you need no teleport at all, sometimes you need it 4 times in a day. Same for dimension door.

Actually we elaborated several times strategies based on teleportation (short and long range), and my nomad was vital for it. I didn't regret all those teleportation powers, although I wasn't using them every day.

That's why I changed my mind. While most parties probably don't have to Teleport somewhere every day, sometimes you really, really need it, and it sucks not to. What if the one Teleport our Cleric prepared in their domain slot isn't enough? What if they didn't prepare it at all that day? What if we have to split up and both teams need to get somewhere?

I'm less sure about Dimension Door, especially since psionics don't have verbal or somatic components and there are several ways of getting short-distance teleportation(example: Shadow Jaunt). Teleport, however, is a very good point.