PDA

View Full Version : Disguising a magic item

J4m0nT045t
2017-05-23, 11:39 PM
I'm playing a paladin of Cyric who lies and claims to be a paladin of 'The one true god', a deity she made up. As part of my deception of the party and npcs, I want a Talisman of Ultimate Evil that looks like a Talisman of Pure Good (or something that works similarly in terms of alignment). Is there any way to do this (short of just asking the DM if they'll make it happen somehow, like a gift from Cyric or something like that). Ideally it'd be a permanent enchantment but I'd settle for a spell I can learn/get an item for that I have to reapply regularly

JackPhoenix
2017-05-23, 11:54 PM
Disguise Self can change appearance of both you and your equipment. It's just an illusion, though, so it won't work if anyone touches it.

lunaticfringe
2017-05-24, 12:00 AM
I mean it is a gift from the God of lies why wouldn't it look like the good version? It doesn't have to look like it doesn't in the book. I'd talk to your DM.

some guy
2017-05-24, 06:04 AM
Nystul's Magic Aura for changing the aura. Or maybe the combination disguise self + nondetection (for hiding it's appearance and masking's it's aura.

But if your dm is granting you a legendary item, you can just ask your dm to have it be a specific shape.

RSP
2017-05-24, 09:29 AM
Nystul's Magic Aura for changing the aura. Or maybe the combination disguise self + nondetection (for hiding it's appearance and masking's it's aura.

But if your dm is granting you a legendary item, you can just ask your dm to have it be a specific shape.

I do love Nystul's but just want to clarify: if the OP wants the talisman to appear as a Talisman of Pure Good, Nystul's won't help as the two talismans would, I imagine, radiate the same type of magical school. Nystul's could mask that its magic altogether and make it appear as a mundane necklace, though. (Side note: RAW Nystul's wouldn't fool Identify very well, but since that would involve a supposedly non-evil party member touching it, and taking the damage, it's probably less important in this case).

A Major Illusion cast at 6th level is permanent until Dispelled. That could work for its outward appearance, assuming the DM allows the MI to stay on an item that's moving without taking up the caster's action.

Just keep in mind, by the time you're getting Legendary items, someone probably has True Sight thru an item or spell, so Nystul's to make it appear mundane might be the best option for keeping it hidden.

krunchyfrogg
2017-05-24, 01:36 PM
I mean it is a gift from the God of lies why wouldn't it look like the good version? It doesn't have to look like it doesn't in the book. I'd talk to your DM.
bam .[/thread]

GPS
2017-05-24, 03:35 PM
Nystuls should do that for ya