PDA

View Full Version : Epic Warlock Shadowmaster and Shades (Rule Lawyering)

RoboEmperor
2017-05-24, 01:11 AM
You can use material from the Plane of Shadows to create quasireal illusions, mimicking sorcerer and wizard conjuration spells of 8th level or lower (as shades).

This means both this epic feat and shades spell mimick all sorcerer/wizard conjuration spells of 8th level or lower right?

No debate about "Creation and summoning only" right?

This wording is different from shades

This spell functions like shadow conjuration, except that it mimics sorcerer and wizard conjuration spells of 8th level or lower. The illusory conjurations created deal four-fifths (80%) damage to nonbelievers, and nondamaging effects are 80% likely to work against nonbelievers.

In shades it says it's like shadow conjuration except for 8th level or lower which makes it open for debate, but this epic feat doesn't mention shadow conjuration or school limitations.

Am I wrong?

Please let me be right :D

T.G. Oskar
2017-05-24, 03:09 AM
This means both this epic feat and shades spell mimick all sorcerer/wizard conjuration spells of 8th level or lower right?

No debate about "Creation and summoning only" right?

This wording is different from shades

In shades it says it's like shadow conjuration except for 8th level or lower which makes it open for debate, but this epic feat doesn't mention shadow conjuration or school limitations.

Am I wrong?

Please let me be right :D

Well, if you read the Epic feat, it specifically mentions that the effect is "as Shades", so it implicitly excludes any spells except [Creation] or [Summoning].

The Epic feat allows you to, in essence, take Shades as a spell-like ability, with all that implies. That's true for most of the abilities granted by those Epic Warlock feats - they grant you 7th to 9th level spells as at-will spell-like abilities.

That said, Shades as an at-will SLA is pretty powerful. Think of it as this: you're getting all Summon Monster spells up to SMVIII essentially for free, usable any time, at your Warlock caster level, plus all other 8th level or lower conjuration [creation] or conjuration [summoning] spells. You know what spells comply with those requisites? Spells like Incendiary Cloud, Trap the Soul, Daern's Instant Summons (think of the protagonist from Fate: Stay Night, who can do Projection magic, except you can do this with stuff you scribble your Arcane Mark on), Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion...and those are merely the 7th and 8th level spells on the Player's Handbook. You got at least 4 spells you can cast at-will, as long as people don't disbelieve it (or you get a way to make them extra-real), and for every splat you find, you'll find new stuff to cast.

So: it's not the entirety of the Conjuration school (or some of the cooler ones, like the Calling spells), but it's a significantly large amount of spells you got there.