PDA

View Full Version : Contest Local Speakeasy Competition Chat II: No Shirt? No Shoes? Materials Provided within

ShiningStarling
2017-05-24, 03:57 AM
Welcome one and all to the 3.X Local Speakeasy, custodian of many Home Brews. Bring a new brew to the table, or have a taste of someone else's. The 'brews in this fine establishment are not your heavy Base Classes, or the ever popular 10 level Prestige Classes. Here patrons enjoy lighter fare: Feats, Skill Tricks or Uses, Spells, Powers, Invocations, Vestiges, Soulmelds, and Maneuvers for those looking to add a little flavor to their day, Alternate Class Features, Racial Substitution Levels, Prestige Classes of less than 5 levels, and Monsters for those seeking a bit more kick, and for guests of hearty guts, we also take and provide Alternate Rules for Magic and Combat.

Past Competitions

Contest
Name
First Place
Winner

I
To the Ruin of All (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?489915-Local-Speakeasy-Home-Brewing-3-X-Competition-I-To-The-Ruin-of-All&styleid=2)
The Soul of Ruin, Fixed Sorcerer Lists & New Spells
Amechra, Jormengand

II
The Wild Side (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?494640-Local-Speakeasy-Home-Brewing-3-X-Competition-II-The-Wild-Side)
The Wild (Ruleset)
Jormengand

III
Treacherous as the Sea (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?499162-Local-Speakeasy-Home-Brewing-3-X-Competition-III-Treacherous-as-the-Sea&p=21160782)
Soul of the Sea
Libro

V
The Curtain Call (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?525363-Local-Speakeasy-Home-Brewing-3-X-Competition-V-The-Curtain-Call&p=22025906#post22025906)
Cadence Casting (Magic System)
Jormengand

Current Competition is...
TRAVEL (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?530509-Local-Speakeasy-Home-Brewing-3-X-Competition-VI-Here-There-and-Everywhere&p=22201097#post22201097)

Chat your hearts out! Just go easy on the local brew, some people have some pretty strong stills.

Celestia
2017-05-24, 07:00 AM
Cool. I'll work something out for this.

sengmeng
2017-05-24, 10:28 AM
I want to create a rule subset based around bards playing together in a band, allowing them to put on concerts for massive cash and cast uber spells similar to the epic spellcasting rules except with a perform check rather than a spellcraft check. I don't know how much time I have to devote to this though, so if someone wants to steal this idea, I won't mind.

Morphic tide
2017-05-24, 01:48 PM
I want to create a rule subset based around bards playing together in a band, allowing them to put on concerts for massive cash and cast uber spells similar to the epic spellcasting rules except with a perform check rather than a spellcraft check. I don't know how much time I have to devote to this though, so if someone wants to steal this idea, I won't mind.

Well, given that my main idea is to make a few feats revolving around using Bardic Music uses to do useful things like Metamagic without the asinine spontaneous caster gimp, I can probably work in a crude setup for using Bardic Music uses as freeform-ish spellcasting fuel. Group performances can easily be a modifier for that setup. "Epic Songcraft," maybe? If I want it to be Epic anyway...

aimlessPolymath
2017-05-24, 03:54 PM
Ooh!

I have a half-written system for songwriting lying around somewhere, might as well finish it.

Celestia
2017-05-25, 03:07 AM
I'm considering making a vestige. I have a nifty idea for a murdered bard.

sengmeng
2017-05-25, 06:53 AM
I'm considering making a vestige. I have a nifty idea for a murdered bard.

Jealous husband situation?

Celestia
2017-05-26, 03:00 PM
Alright, finished with the story stuff. Now I just need to think of what abilities she gives.

bekeleven
2017-05-29, 10:05 PM
I'm assuming items are allowed.

rferries
2017-06-01, 06:44 AM
I'm assuming items are allowed.

Those are all brilliant :)

rferries
2017-06-08, 01:29 AM
Apologies for double-posting, but should we ask a mod to pin this to the front page? I feel like the contest threads sometimes get buried after a few days, which gives a potentially unfair advantage to early submissions.

ShiningStarling
2017-06-09, 04:34 PM
Apologies for double-posting, but should we ask a mod to pin this to the front page? I feel like the contest threads sometimes get buried after a few days, which gives a potentially unfair advantage to early submissions.

That sounds wonderful, and the base class competition too! Now how to ask...

rferries
2017-06-09, 08:23 PM
Just sent a PM to one of the mods.

Temotei
2017-06-16, 12:19 AM
I've nearly finished my entry, which is a magical location, the Echoes of the First Lillend. All that's left as far as I can tell is explaining what an echo revenant is and its statistics.

If anyone has feedback, I'd appreciate it.

rferries
2017-06-18, 05:12 PM
I've nearly finished my entry, which is a magical location, the Echoes of the First Lillend. All that's left as far as I can tell is explaining what an echo revenant is and its statistics.

If anyone has feedback, I'd appreciate it.

I'm not familiar with the rules for magical locations so I'll just say that looks awesome!

On an unrelated note, I've messaged all of the mods for this forum about pinning the contest to the front page but haven't received any replies. It seems academic though, so long as the submissions keep coming in.

Temotei
2017-06-20, 12:49 AM
I'm not familiar with the rules for magical locations so I'll just say that looks awesome!

Dungeon Master's Guide II has rules for them, and a few other books include a magical location or two. Essentially, they're places you encounter that give benefits for simply arriving and meeting the prerequisites for a certain duration. Usually, the duration is not permanent, but sometimes it's so long that it might as well be. In this case, once you've dealt with this magical location, it disappears forever, unlike other magical locations, so I've made the duration permanent.

Each magical location also has a gold value to allow DMs to size up what the ability the location grants is worth so they can keep within WBL guidelines.

EDIT: Also, I'm glad you like it. :smallsmile:

rferries
2017-06-20, 02:08 PM
Dungeon Master's Guide II has rules for them, and a few other books include a magical location or two. Essentially, they're places you encounter that give benefits for simply arriving and meeting the prerequisites for a certain duration. Usually, the duration is not permanent, but sometimes it's so long that it might as well be. In this case, once you've dealt with this magical location, it disappears forever, unlike other magical locations, so I've made the duration permanent.

Each magical location also has a gold value to allow DMs to size up what the ability the location grants is worth so they can keep within WBL guidelines.

EDIT: Also, I'm glad you like it. :smallsmile:

Neat! Are there stats for the echo revenant?

Temotei
2017-06-20, 03:15 PM
Neat! Are there stats for the echo revenant?

I still have to make those. :smalltongue:

ShiningStarling
2017-06-23, 05:26 PM
... torn between just making more bard songs, or turning them into a martial discipline...

Jormengand
2017-07-01, 06:25 PM
So the deadline was on a day which didn't exist, but which has pretty definitely passed whichever way you swing it. And I got my entry in, possibly on time!

rferries
2017-07-01, 10:57 PM
So the deadline was on a day which didn't exist, but which has pretty definitely passed whichever way you swing it. And I got my entry in, possibly on time!

Ha! Also, how do we vote?

Jormengand
2017-07-02, 12:22 AM
Ha! Also, how do we vote?

There should be a voting thread put up soon where you can vote and it's explained how.

ShiningStarling
2017-07-02, 06:10 PM
... I a silly. Meant 30th. Yes, I will put the voting thread up as soon as my computer gets internet (shouldn't be long.)

Edit: Voting Thread up! Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?529046-Local-Speakeasy-Home-Brewing-3-X-Voting-Thread-V-Curtain-Call&p=22154831#post22154831)

Now taking suggestions for the next round! I'm leaning towards doing a sort of Planar Tour, going through a series of planes for the next few contests, and probably upping their pace somewhat, but this idea may not be any good and would like to hear what other people want to do :smallsmile:

Temotei
2017-07-02, 07:10 PM
Ah, poop. Forgot to make stats for the echo revenant.

rferries
2017-07-02, 07:14 PM
... I a silly. Meant 30th. Yes, I will put the voting thread up as soon as my computer gets internet (shouldn't be long.)

Edit: Voting Thread up! Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?529046-Local-Speakeasy-Home-Brewing-3-X-Voting-Thread-V-Curtain-Call&p=22154831#post22154831)

Now taking suggestions for the next round! I'm leaning towards doing a sort of Planar Tour, going through a series of planes for the next few contests, and probably upping their pace somewhat, but this idea may not be any good and would like to hear what other people want to do :smallsmile:

Thanks for organising this! It's been great fun watching all the ideas roll in.

I quite like the planar idea - would be an excuse to revisit Sigil if nothing else!

Ah, poop. Forgot to make stats for the echo revenant.

You could probably whip something up if you're quick enough, or insert "an echo revenant is an advanced Lillend with the lich template" or somesuch.

ShiningStarling
2017-07-16, 12:54 PM
Voting has concluded!

1st: Jormengand - Cadence Casting
2nd: bekeleven - Instruments of War
3rd: Temotei - Echoes of the First Lillend

Originality and Theme - Tie - Jormengand and Temotei
Most Likely to See Play - bekeleven

Congrats to our winners! This was a very close round, with literally everyone one point apart at the end! (just realized that before my votes, it was a complete 4-way tie... good thing I decided to vote, lol)

New contest going up tonight, any input you wish to have on the theme should be done now!

Jormengand
2017-07-16, 03:02 PM
You seem to have the contests going I-II-III-II for some reason...

(just realized that before my votes, it was a complete 4-way tie... good thing I decided to vote, lol)
You get a 6! You get a 6! Everyone gets a 6!

:smallamused:

New contest going up tonight, any input you wish to have on the theme should be done now!

Hmm...

No ideas, sorry.

Morphic tide
2017-07-16, 03:45 PM

Hmm... Something I can work with as a 3-level PRC, feat or variant rule... Caster screwing? Let's go with antimagic for my vote on the next theme. Because there's enough ways to do anti-magic that I can easily think of multiple variant rules, feats, 3-level PRCs and even replacement levels to make it work. Turning Monk into a functional mage killer would be fun...

ShiningStarling
2017-07-16, 04:42 PM
New Contest is up! Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?530509-Local-Speakeasy-Home-Brewing-3-X-Competition-VI-Here-There-and-Everywhere&p=22201097#post22201097)

Decided to go more broad than the specific ideas out at the moment, good luck all!

Celestia
2017-07-16, 08:38 PM
Oh, man. I completely forgot all about this. Shoot. Hopefully I can actually finish the new one in time.

rferries
2017-07-17, 03:19 AM
Posted a swarm-type monster. Let me know if evasion is a bit much, I didn't want it to be wiped out by a few fireballs but may have gone overboard.

Eldan
2017-07-17, 04:12 AM
I'm a simple person. I see Ygramul, I see a winner.

rferries
2017-07-17, 04:33 AM
Ha thanks but I won't hold you to it, plenty of creative submissions to come I'm sure.

Temotei
2017-07-26, 07:17 PM
Don't forget to update the first post in this thread with the current contest.

ShiningStarling
2017-07-27, 04:02 PM
Oh my, fixed, thanks for the reminder.

ShiningStarling
2017-08-13, 10:58 AM
I also forgot to put templates in the current contest. Whoopsie.

Also, how would current followers of the contest feel if in the future it was for Pathfinder, rather than 3.X? In many cases there's just more material available to work with, and Archetypes are fun, and there's not really anything 3.5 has that Pathfinder doesn't (besides slightly greater grievous imbalance). Thoughts?

Jormengand
2017-08-13, 11:16 AM

Also, how would current followers of the contest feel if in the future it was for Pathfinder, rather than 3.X? In many cases there's just more material available to work with, and Archetypes are fun, and there's not really anything 3.5 has that Pathfinder doesn't (besides slightly greater grievous imbalance). Thoughts?

I have less than no interest in working with Paizo's homebrew non-fix. I would literally continue writing the same stuff and hope it translates well to PF.

Morphic tide
2017-08-13, 11:04 PM
Welp, my idea for this contest has to wait for the primary d20 SRD to reactivate from its server swap, because it's going to need the Animated Object statblocks and a hillariously overpriced magic item's statblock. The idea is to have an animated-object derived self-moving carriage with bundles of travel-useful upgrade options, like discounted Bags of Holding/Handy Haversacks built into it, or being larger on the inside than the outside. And making it able to be piloted with all it's actions accounted for by use of the appropriate action from the pilot/driver.

Overall, working out the basis of a mecha system as a significantly customizable magic bus/loot carrier using the mechanics of a grotesquely sub-optimal use of money for operation of mecha. Possibly with a specified Artifact version with bundles of absurd abilities to mimick the Magic School Bus of Ye Olden Edutainment fame(23 years old, at this point). Probably including Inherent Bonuses to Knowledge skills for going on sufficiently long trips nebulously-defined for actual XP-worthy challenges being possible. Also, apparently the GiantITP spell checker recognizes Edutainment as a real word.

Edit: In regards to swapping to PF or staying 3.5, I say go 3.PF. That way we can work with whatever mechanics we want, with an extra requirement of specifying which system it's intended for so people know if they need conversion for the system they use. It'd certainly open me up for some fun with niche PF material like Necrocraft.

rferries
2017-08-14, 06:35 AM
Welp, my idea for this contest has to wait for the primary d20 SRD to reactivate from its server swap, because it's going to need the Animated Object statblocks and a hillariously overpriced magic item's statblock. The idea is to have an animated-object derived self-moving carriage with bundles of travel-useful upgrade options, like discounted Bags of Holding/Handy Haversacks built into it, or being larger on the inside than the outside. And making it able to be piloted with all it's actions accounted for by use of the appropriate action from the pilot/driver.

Overall, working out the basis of a mecha system as a significantly customizable magic bus/loot carrier using the mechanics of a grotesquely sub-optimal use of money for operation of mecha. Possibly with a specified Artifact version with bundles of absurd abilities to mimick the Magic School Bus of Ye Olden Edutainment fame(23 years old, at this point). Probably including Inherent Bonuses to Knowledge skills for going on sufficiently long trips nebulously-defined for actual XP-worthy challenges being possible. Also, apparently the GiantITP spell checker recognizes Edutainment as a real word.

Edit: In regards to swapping to PF or staying 3.5, I say go 3.PF. That way we can work with whatever mechanics we want, with an extra requirement of specifying which system it's intended for so people know if they need conversion for the system they use. It'd certainly open me up for some fun with niche PF material like Necrocraft.

Nifty idea! Here's the alternate site (http://dndsrd.net/monstersA.html) (in case of emergency).

Grand Arbiter
2017-08-14, 10:12 PM

Perhaps make the contest 3.P?
3.X brewers would continue produce the same work, but people could jump in if they have an idea for something that belongs in Pathfinder.

Temotei
2017-08-15, 01:36 AM
I didn't like Pathfinder when I tried it so I'd probably just make 3.5 stuff.

Westhart
2017-08-16, 07:30 AM
Hmm, all the time I spend here and I've never seen this before XD.

Have a small PrC I am going to enter.

Jormengand
2017-08-16, 09:35 AM
Yo,

I know the deadline's technically already passed, but could we perhaps have it extended a week or so? I have been without a home (and therefore internet is hard to find) for a few days, so haven't had a chance to work on my entry.

Westhart
2017-08-16, 10:06 AM
Yo,

I know the deadline's technically already passed, but could we perhaps have it extended a week or so? I have been without a home (and therefore internet is hard to find) for a few days, so haven't had a chance to work on my entry.

Passed? Ooops, guess mine is out then :smallbiggrin:

sengmeng
2017-08-16, 01:01 PM
Passed? Ooops, guess mine is out then :smallbiggrin:

Oops me too :P

Westhart
2017-08-16, 01:04 PM
Oops me too :P

hehe, I posted mine then saw yours, "Well, I just go showed up."
nice work!

ShiningStarling
2017-08-16, 02:55 PM
Request for extra week granted!

sengmeng
2017-08-16, 04:12 PM
Request for extra week granted!

So me and NothingAbnormal are in???

ShiningStarling
2017-08-17, 02:51 PM
So me and NothingAbnormal are in???

Absolutely!

Jormengand
2017-08-18, 05:11 PM
Should I feel bad about all the "Magical [power_name]" spells? Or the fact that I'm literally re-doing the thing from the first contest? :smalltongue:

ShiningStarling
2017-08-18, 06:50 PM
Should I feel bad about all the "Magical [power_name]" spells? Or the fact that I'm literally re-doing the thing from the first contest? :smalltongue:

Psionics did it to magic, turnabout is fair play.

As for repeating a concept... I'll leave that to the judges to decide. Aw, the Russian one gave it a 2. We'll see what the rest give later.

Jormengand
2017-08-23, 06:58 AM
Well, I managed to finish in time at least...

Lanth Sor
2017-08-23, 11:47 AM
I feel like I made the fighter in the make a lord of war competition.

ShiningStarling
2017-09-08, 04:53 AM
Voting has concluded, congrats Sengmeng, may your bean can runneth over.

Thoughts on next contest? I'm thinking "Gish out of Water"

Westhart
2017-09-08, 07:28 AM
I'd be down with that, of course I already have a "gish slayer" (epic) type monster in the works :smallbiggrin:

Or we could do a knowledge type... in which case I have a seer PrC (yeah, I've not had time to post on the forum much so I have *A lot* of stored HB... that all needs formatting -.-')

I'm good with whatever everyone else wants.

Lanth Sor
2017-09-08, 08:30 AM
Zombies, Doom, Happy Unicorn Land, Immortality?

sengmeng
2017-09-08, 01:44 PM
Voting has concluded, congrats Sengmeng, may your bean can runneth over.

Thoughts on next contest? I'm thinking "Gish out of Water"

I'd prefer my change cup runneth over lol, but thanks!

I second gish out of water.

I like gishes as a concept, but it seems to me that they really rely more on your build or base class than anything allowed in this contest. Still, that slight shoehorning might result in some very interesting entries.

sengmeng
2017-09-18, 06:10 PM
Bump. Anyone else have theme suggestions?

rferries
2017-09-18, 08:20 PM
Agreed on Gishes! I've avoided them in the past so homebrewing them would get me out of my comfort zone haha.

Lanth Sor
2017-09-19, 11:47 AM
I have a mean base class idea but i could kinda make it work as a ACF.

Grand Arbiter
2017-09-21, 02:40 PM
Best of luck with homebrewing, I'm likely to be away from the forum for a while.

Morphic tide
2017-11-12, 10:12 AM
...It's been a bit over two months since the voting of the last thread closed. Is there going to be another of these?

Westhart
2017-11-12, 10:22 AM
...It's been a bit over two months since the voting of the last thread closed. Is there going to be another of these?

If it comes down to it I can start running these if OblviMancer doesn't have the time (?)