PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Fighter Archetype selection.

Khrysaes
2017-05-24, 10:43 AM
Hello,

I previously made a couple threads and a post about this character, but I have another question that has yet to be answered.

I have a level 3 Tabaxi Battlemaster Archer

Maneuvers:
Precise Attack
Trip Attack
Disarming Attack

At level 6, and 7, I plan on taking, because I have been allowed, a Revised Spell-Less Ranger. The combination of the two UA. and at level 8: Fighter 6.

The spell-less UA gives me two more maneuvers, and I was planning on taking

Parry
Menacing.

Now, keeping in mind that I hadn't planned on taking fighter 7 until level 19, so not for the majority of the character's life, if I reach it ever.

My question:

Since fighter 7 will be so far in my career, should I take monster hunter instead of battlemaster?? I gain more maneuvers total, and one is nice defensively, and one is supportive, not to mention the other bonuses.

If so, what maneuvers would you take (2) from ranger at level 7?

I get two proficiencies, in a couple skills I wouldn't otherwise, or in a couple tools.

I also would get Detect magic as a ritual, and a 1/long rest Protection from evil and good.

Lastly, and most importantly, I get 4 maneuvers:

Precise attack,
One that adds damage and imposes disadvantage on concentration saves.
The ability to add the roll to a cha, wis, and int save.
and the ability to add the roll to Perception or Investigation checks.

I would still get 2 maneuvers from Ranger.

and at level 19, I could add 2 dice to damage instead of one, and these are maxed against fiends, fey, undead, and aberration.

Specter
2017-05-24, 11:34 AM
I would definitely go Monster Hunter, because you can get the best Battlemaster maneuvers later by multiclassing into Spellless Ranger, but Battlemaster can't get the bonus to saves and skills you'd have. Actually, if Ranger is not vital to your concept, you can take the Martial Adept feat to grab 2 Battlemaster maneuvers. So you could have all the Monster Hunter goodness along with (maybe) Menacing Attack and Parry. Pretty good.

jaappleton
2017-05-24, 11:36 AM
Specter is quite the optimizer. I'd trust his advice, TC.

Khrysaes
2017-05-24, 12:09 PM
I would definitely go Monster Hunter, because you can get the best Battlemaster maneuvers later by multiclassing into Spellless Ranger, but Battlemaster can't get the bonus to saves and skills you'd have. Actually, if Ranger is not vital to your concept, you can take the Martial Adept feat to grab 2 Battlemaster maneuvers. So you could have all the Monster Hunter goodness along with (maybe) Menacing Attack and Parry. Pretty good.

Ranger isn't vital I guess, but it is certainly a nice to have what with natural explorer, a second fighting style and the 4 superiority dice I would get. I deemed it more valuable than fighter 6 and 7, After level 8(fighter 6/ranger 2), i was going to go into rogue.

Feat wise I was really only looking at Sharpshooter and Resilient Wisdom(con from fighter), and 4 dex. I would have 1 extra I could use on martial adept, but it would likely be at level 12, 14, 18, or 20, and I am not sure I would get that high.

Citan
2017-05-26, 06:56 AM
Hello,

I previously made a couple threads and a post about this character, but I have another question that has yet to be answered.

I have a level 3 Tabaxi Battlemaster Archer

Maneuvers:
Precise Attack
Trip Attack
Disarming Attack

At level 6, and 7, I plan on taking, because I have been allowed, a Revised Spell-Less Ranger. The combination of the two UA. and at level 8: Fighter 6.

The spell-less UA gives me two more maneuvers, and I was planning on taking

Parry
Menacing.

Now, keeping in mind that I hadn't planned on taking fighter 7 until level 19, so not for the majority of the character's life, if I reach it ever.

My question:

Since fighter 7 will be so far in my career, should I take monster hunter instead of battlemaster?? I gain more maneuvers total, and one is nice defensively, and one is supportive, not to mention the other bonuses.

If so, what maneuvers would you take (2) from ranger at level 7?

I get two proficiencies, in a couple skills I wouldn't otherwise, or in a couple tools.

I also would get Detect magic as a ritual, and a 1/long rest Protection from evil and good.

Lastly, and most importantly, I get 4 maneuvers:

Precise attack,
One that adds damage and imposes disadvantage on concentration saves.
The ability to add the roll to a cha, wis, and int save.
and the ability to add the roll to Perception or Investigation checks.

I would still get 2 maneuvers from Ranger.

and at level 19, I could add 2 dice to damage instead of one, and these are maxed against fiends, fey, undead, and aberration.
Hi!
It depends mainly on two things
1) Are you really not interested in Know your Enemy (Battlemaster)?
2) Are there any Manoeuvers that you really like and would not fit in the "starting" selection?
If both answers are no, definitely take Monster Hunter.

And to be honest, even if answer to second question was yes, I'd still suggest taking Monster Hunter. It's just plain OP compared to PHB archetypes, because you get some kind of "short rest Indomitable" (add superiority dice to saving throw) and that is really gravvy. You also get a "mini-Mage Slayer" effect (disadvantage on Concentration saving throw when you expend a die on damage).

Also it's much more fitting thematically and providing more synergies with Ranger, especially Revised (Monster Slayer with Favored Enemies = true hitman against a large amount of creatures).

(Seriously: don't tell your DM, but he is "merry christmasing" you by allowing you to stack all those power-creepy UAs... XD)

However, I don't understand why you would aim at a final build of Fighter 7 / Ranger 13.
Unless you really want to get the "Natural Allies" feature, the "spellless UA" does not give that many interesting things. And for superiority, you only learn 3 more manoeuvers and 1 more die.
Revised Ranger provides Superior Defense (great) at level 7, Dash as bonus action at level 8 (good), bonus to hide at level 10 (decent), Volley/Whirlwind at level 11 (good but only situationally better than 3rd attack from Fighter), Hide as bonus action at level 14 (good) and Evasion at level 15 (great, but coming very late).
Monster Hunter provides Indomitable, 1 other die at lvl 7, die size increase at lvl 10, Indomitable at level 9, 3rd attack at level 11, 1 die at Initiative at level 15.
Die size should not be considered lightly since (logically) it would affect all your superiority die: 9d8 > 9d10 seems small, but makes a big difference in the long run.

So I'd say it depends on whether you want to be a stealthy guy or not. If you go for stealth (and cannot grab Rogue 2 for whatever reason), then aim for Ranger 14 and drop the Fighter's lvl 7 feature, although it's a big miss.

If you don't care about stealth, go Monster Hunter 11 / Revised Ranger 9: you get 10d10 dice, 4 Battlemaster manoeuvers from Ranger (see suggestions below), "Precision"+"Mage Slayer"+"Indomitable"+"Tracker" effects from Monster Hunter, 3 attacks per Attack, Indomitable from Fighter, Dash as bonus action, extremely good damage against one type of enemy (Greater Favored Enemies + Monster Slayer).
Manoeuvers suggestions:
Ranged character (depending on number of melee allies): Trip, Disarm, Goading, Precision*
Melee character: the ones above but also Evasive Footwork (great for reaching a powerful enemy, especially paired with Ranger lvl 7's Escape the Horde you will be untouchable), Riposte (to damage an enemy as you pass by), Lunging (an alternative way of limiting risks while attacking).

* By RAW, per the formulation of the UA, Monster Hunter's "tactics" are not "manoeuvers". But dices are called the same strangely. XD
So ask your DM: either he considers "everything is a Manoeuver" then the die size from Fighter applies to dice from Ranger, but you can use only one on any weapon attack.
Or he considers these are different features, then you get two different "supplies" of dice but it means you could stack one Ranger's Manoeuver and one Monster Hunter's effect on the same weapon attack which could lead to pretty stupid combinations.

If you want the best of both worlds and can afford it, aim Rogue 2 / Ranger 7 / Fighter 11. The only thing you really lose is one more superiority die and manoeuver, but you gain Expertise, extra 1d8 damage and Cunning Action for that. Seems like a fair trade for me. ;)

Last thing: in your place, whatever you choose, I would pick the Fighter's 7th level much sooner, like just before or after taking Ranger 2. One more die and (Monster Hunter) auto-max damage will make a very big difference at low-mid levels. Whereas in your original plan, taking it at level 19 with "only Extra Attack", enemies have such a high amount of HP that maxing damage won't usually make a difference in how fast you kill them unless, maybe, if you blow all your resources in a nova turn (Action Surge + Greater Favored Enemy + all dice used in Monster Hunter's "extra damage" effect.

Khrysaes
2017-05-26, 07:22 AM
Hi!
It depends mainly on two things
1) Are you really not interested in Know your Enemy (Battlemaster)?
2) Are there any Manoeuvers that you really like and would not fit in the "starting" selection?
If both answers are no, definitely take Monster Hunter.

And to be honest, even if answer to second question was yes, I'd still suggest taking Monster Hunter. It's just plain OP compared to PHB archetypes, because you get some kind of "short rest Indomitable" (add superiority dice to saving throw) and that is really gravvy. You also get a "mini-Mage Slayer" effect (disadvantage on Concentration saving throw when you expend a die on damage).

Also it's much more fitting thematically and providing more synergies with Ranger, especially Revised (Monster Slayer with Favored Enemies = true hitman against a large amount of creatures).

(Seriously: don't tell your DM, but he is "merry christmasing" you by allowing you to stack all those power-creepy UAs... XD)

However, I don't understand why you would aim at a final build of Fighter 7 / Ranger 13.

*Snip*

Final Build plan was 8 Fighter/4 Ranger/8 Rogue.

Monster Slayer or Battle Master/ Deep Stalker/ Arcane Trickster or Assassin. I was planning for Arcane Trickster because of the familiar and versatility.

Citan
2017-05-26, 07:50 AM
Final Build plan was 8 Fighter/4 Ranger/8 Rogue.

Monster Slayer or Battle Master/ Deep Stalker/ Arcane Trickster or Assassin. I was planning for Arcane Trickster because of the familiar and versatility.
Hmm, the familiar and some versatility you could get with Ritual Caster feat (more affordable as a Fighter gets more ASI), and spell-wise you would get pretty much the more important things with a small dip into Cleric (Forge for Shield spell for example) or Druid (Wild Shape, Longstrider, Speak with Animals etc).

Also, I feel the "magickyness" of any of those options counters a bit the feeling of your character so far (relying purely on martial and environmental awesomeness). But hey, it's a good build anyways and it's your character so if it is good with you that's the only important thing. ;)

Have fun!