PDA

View Full Version : Anyone played Middle Finger of Vecna's Green Star Adept?

Big Papa Turnip
2017-05-24, 03:14 PM
I can't post links yet, but it's easily google-able or findable on their site.

A quick summary of the features:

+1 HP per level taken
AC is 13+dex when not wearing armor
d4 for unarmed damage, punches are magical, damage scales at 6 and 14
can add unarmed damage to melee spell attacks
can cast a ranged spell attack as a melee spell attack once per turn

Really loving the fluff involved, but I feel like all those tasty melee perks would lure me into spending more time in melee than is safe for a wizard. Even with the boosted HP and AC, a d6 hit die is flimsy as all get out.

Has anyone played this, and if so, how did it go for you?

Arkhios
2017-05-25, 03:42 AM
Haven't seen it nor played it before, but seems to me that since it's encouraged to be unarmed, you could easily grab Tough feat as your first feat (v.human would be awesome for this), probably postponing War Caster a bit further. Yes, d6 is small die, but in the long run, the amount of hit points matter more than the dice for your survival.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-05-25, 05:41 AM
I can post links (http://mfov.magehandpress.com/2017/01/green-star-adept.html)!

If anyone does have feedback from using this - or anything else of ours - in a game, we're always happy to hear about it. Feel free to PM myself, DracoKnight or Submortimer on here, post on our Reddit or Patreon, tweet us or send an ask to my tumblr. We monitor all of those regularly. :smallsmile:

DracoKnight
2017-05-25, 05:45 AM
tweet us

@knuckleofvecna - and I never close my Twitter tab, so if anyone Tweets me, I will see it. And I have a compulsion to reply whenever someone messages me - I can't leave it unanswered. #tweetresponsibly

Garret Dorigan
2017-05-25, 08:32 AM
I can't post links yet, but it's easily google-able or findable on their site.

A quick summary of the features:

+1 HP per level taken
AC is 13+dex when not wearing armor
d4 for unarmed damage, punches are magical, damage scales at 6 and 14
can add unarmed damage to melee spell attacks
can cast a ranged spell attack as a melee spell attack once per turn

Really loving the fluff involved, but I feel like all those tasty melee perks would lure me into spending more time in melee than is safe for a wizard. Even with the boosted HP and AC, a d6 hit die is flimsy as all get out.

Has anyone played this, and if so, how did it go for you?

One of my players checked it out in a quick leveling one shot, since we had some people unable to attend for the night and the few that did show up wanted to test some classes/builds.

It's pretty much a glass cannon like you're thinking, by 5th level Vampiric Touch becomes almost mandatory and as you start getting higher the Tough feat then does. With Tough it's actually not that bad, as between GSA and Tough you basically have a d8 hit die, or a d12 if you always do average HP. I'm sure the earlier levels wouldn't be as harrowing if you go Vuman and grab Tough from the get go, but he started as a High Elf and grabbed Magic Initiate at 4 for Thorn Whip, which actually isn't a bad choice for go-to cantrip, considering.

There are a couple problems with it intrinsically. It's MAD as hell, needing Str for your Unarmed Strike, Dex for your AC, Con for your HP, and Int for your Melee Spell Attack rolls. Starmetal Resistance is kinda "Meh...". It's not that Multiclass friendly until 14, then you can get some interesting combinations. Also, there needs to be a bit more explanation on what the "Used Ranged Spell Attack as Melee Spell Attack" actually does to the mechanics of the spell used.

As for the aforementioned Multiclass friendliness post 14; it makes Frenzy Barb have absolutely no downside, Sun Soul Monk can get both Str and Dex to damage, Druid multiclass (not to speak of this making you even more MAD) gets you a very synergistic spell in Flame Blade, though Cleric is what the player went with.

Cleric gets you heavy armor with a bunch of different Domains so you can basically ignore Dex, huge Alpha Strike with Inflict Wounds, and a surprisingly good combination with Spiritual Weapon. Cleric makes you just as MAD as before as you'll still need Wis to attack with, but with some forethought you can turn yourself into a muscle caster Monk, basically, in only needing Str/Con/Wis with at least a 13 Int. If you can guarantee yourself a Giant Belt/Ogre Gauntlets and a Headband of Intellect you're in the clear easier.

But, with all that, there are better Gishes. You're still a Wizard, so you have all those Wizard tools, but you're a Gish that does it strangely.