PDA

View Full Version : does fear provoke attack of opportunity?

wilhelmdubdub
2017-05-24, 03:47 PM
I was wondering because I was thinking what would happen if a fighter took tunnel fighter then Sorc to get fear as a spell. Could you charge in to a mob with a reach weapon and cast fear to provoke up to 3 attacks of opportunity. I also thought a paladin could take advantage with turn the unholy/faithless. Any other ways to take advantage of tunnel fighter?

mephnick
2017-05-24, 04:01 PM
Forced movement doesn't provoke AoOs. The question is if using your own movement due to fear counts as "Forced". I'd say it does but there's probably an official ruling on it.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-05-24, 04:12 PM
Using an attack of opportunity costs a reaction and you only have one of those per round

Gray Mage
2017-05-24, 04:26 PM
Using an attack of opportunity costs a reaction and you only have one of those per round

Tunnel fighter gives an exception.

On the actual question, I'd say that the movement resulting from fear does not count as forced movement.

Millstone85
2017-05-24, 04:27 PM
Forced movement doesn't provoke AoOs. The question is if using your own movement due to fear counts as "Forced". I'd say it does but there's probably an official ruling on it.What doesn't provoke an opportunity attack is "when someone or something moves you without using your movement, action, or reaction". So if you are using your own movement, this is what matters, not the fact that you are using it against your will.

mephnick
2017-05-24, 04:42 PM
What doesn't provoke an opportunity attack is "when someone or something moves you without using your movement, action, or reaction". So if you are using your own movement, this is what matters, not the fact that you are using it against your will.

Ok good to know

wilhelmdubdub
2017-05-24, 09:19 PM
"... you can use your reaction to make a melee attack against a creature that moves more than 5 feet while within your reach". Does this part of tunnel fighter require the same stipulation that it has to be unforced movement? It just says if they move more than 5 feet.

Drackolus
2017-05-24, 09:24 PM
"... you can use your reaction to make a melee attack against a creature that moves more than 5 feet while within your reach". Does this part of tunnel fighter require the same stipulation that it has to be unforced movement? It just says if they move more than 5 feet.

The key part is the part whete op attacks don't take your reaction.

And yeah, getting opportunity attacks off of fear is good. A vengeance paladin with this setup could also constantly move with the target, repeatedly hitting them while they are running and them having nothing they can do about it.
Unless the paladin has sentinel.

wilhelmdubdub
2017-05-24, 10:58 PM
So if you had warcaster could you spam SCAG cantrips or any other spells?

RSP
2017-05-24, 11:58 PM

So if you had warcaster could you spam SCAG cantrips or any other spells?

If that wording is correct in the definition provided by wilhelm, and I'm assuming it is, the attack from Tunnel Fighter isn't using an Opportunity Attack, but rather is simply using your reaction to make an attack. This means anything that specifically works with Opportunity Attacks, like Warcaster, would not apply.

RSP
2017-05-25, 12:02 AM
Also, Fear provokes Opportunity Attacks, however, someone under the effects of Fear doesn't cause the secondary effect of Booming Blade to trigger, as BB specifically states the creature has to choose to move, and Fear doesn't allow a choice:

"If the target willingly moves before then, it immediately takes 1d8 thunder damage, and the spell ends."

Vaz
2017-05-25, 12:09 AM
If that wording is correct in the definition provided by wilhelm, and I'm assuming it is, the attack from Tunnel Fighter isn't using an Opportunity Attack, but rather is simply using your reaction to make an attack. This means anything that specifically works with Opportunity Attacks, like Warcaster, would not apply.

Tunnel Fighter You excel at defending narrow passages, doorways, and other tight spaces. As a bonus action, you can enter a defensive stance that lasts until the start of your next turn. While in your defensive stance, you can make opportunity attacks without using your reaction, and you can use your reaction to make a melee attack against a creature that moves more than 5 feet while within your reach.

Also, **** copying quotes from Unearthed Arcana. Formatting is broke asf.

djreynolds
2017-05-25, 01:24 AM
You can make an opportunity attack when a hostile creature that you can see moves out of your reach.

The question is, if under fear or charm or whatever, is that creature hostile anymore?

RSP
2017-05-25, 02:22 AM
Also, **** copying quotes from Unearthed Arcana. Formatting is broke asf.

I probably wouldn't use Tunnel Fighter, as it has too much opportunity for breaking, particularly with Fear. But this isn't a thread on that.

From that description, yeah, you could go into the stance on your turn, take a reaction attack to hit the Feared creature as it moves by you running away from the caster, then attack it again with your Opportunity Attack (or spell if using Warcaster) when it moves out of reach.

Likewise, you could attack any other creatures caught in the Fear AoE as they run by and leave your reach, giving another OA for each creature. Note: you'd only get the one reaction attack, but OAs would be limited only by the number of enemies leaving reach.

RSP
2017-05-25, 02:26 AM
You can make an opportunity attack when a hostile creature that you can see moves out of your reach.

The question is, if under fear or charm or whatever, is that creature hostile anymore?

Fear doesn't necessarily prevent attacks (if they're cornered they can't run away) and the target is still your enemy; I'd say they're hostile. Now if you happen to catch another PC in your AoE, you could probably argue you shouldn't get an OA against them (though after being Feared they may start to feel hostile towards you).

djreynolds
2017-05-25, 02:59 AM
I wonder exactly how it works. With Turn Undead, if attacked the undead are no longer afraid.

Now I know turn undead isn't exactly like the frightened condition because they do not get to attack unless attacked.

I would have to see how Mr Crawford would rule on this one...............................................

Bobby the Barbarian ‎@BobbyBarbarian
@JeremyECrawford Does the movement from Dissonant Whispers provoke opportunity attacks? The creature uses its reaction to move.

Jeremy Crawford ‎@JeremyECrawford
You provoke an opportunity attack if you leave a foe's reach using your movement, action, or reaction. #DnD https://twitter.com/bobbybarbarian/status/722576515502903298 …

So yes, fear just as dissonant whispers, allows for AoO. Turn undead does also... but the price being the undead are no longer turned