PDA

View Full Version : Ur Preist Bone Knight build help

Silex
2017-05-24, 04:25 PM
Pretty simple; looking for a good build utilizing ur priest followed by bone knight to advance the casting.

This build is going to be used for an NPC who has infiltrated a church of Pelor, and is secretly a cultist leader for my campaign.

The only other thing that is essential in the build, is the Mother Cyst feat from Libris Mortis, as that is the basis for the cult I have designed.

Looking for an overall build, including feats, spells and items. He will need to be 18th level.

Help me, playgrounders, you're my only hope! Lol

Silex
2017-05-24, 09:47 PM
No takers?

ArendK
2017-05-25, 08:45 AM
Not having my books in front of me nor any means to access them, I'd imagine this is something pretty straight forward. Get into Ur-Priest as fast as possible (I can't remember the pre-reqs), then power out bone knight for the rest of the build.

CozJa
2017-05-25, 09:56 AM
It really depends on what you want your character to do. Considering your description, and the Bone Knight idea, I suppose that you'd like it to be a decent combatant. I'd say a combination of Paladin/Duskblade levels may be interesting, or even Paladin/Hexblade (Mettle+ double Cha to saves).

The problem lies in the load of skill points you have to expend for Ur-Priest...

nighteyes95
2017-05-25, 10:17 AM
what character creation rules would also be important

Point by?
flaws allowed?
magic locations?
race restrictions?
I'm sure there's more that would be important but that's all I can think of off the top

Darrin
2017-05-25, 10:20 AM
I would probably start with Duskblade 2/Rogue 3/Ur Priest 2/Bone Knight 10.

Duskblade 1/Hexblade 4/Ur Priest 2/Bone Knight 10 could work, but is a bit tighter on the skill points stuff.

Silex
2017-05-25, 12:33 PM
what character creation rules would also be important

Point by?
flaws allowed?
magic locations?
race restrictions?
I'm sure there's more that would be important but that's all I can think of off the top

Stats rolled
Flaws allowed
No magic location cheese
No race restrictions, although would prefer human or something easily passable as human

Banned books, ToB, ToM, Dragon Magic and Psionics

Silex
2017-05-25, 12:35 PM
I would probably start with Duskblade 2/Rogue 3/Ur Priest 2/Bone Knight 10.

Duskblade 1/Hexblade 4/Ur Priest 2/Bone Knight 10 could work, but is a bit tighter on the skill points stuff.

I like Duskblade, but would want to go 3 for Arcane Channeling. Maybe spellthief over rogue, with the Master Spellthief feat? Seems to fit more thematically with the Ur Priest, siphoning power. It also provides necessary skill points for the PrCs.

Open to more suggestions

CozJa
2017-05-25, 01:04 PM
Duskblade would definitely help with the skill choices, like Spellthief would; rogue a bit less because it has more skills points but less of the relevant ones as class skills.

Still... It's a pity not taking at least a couple of Paladin levels when the Bone Knight can give you almost all its powers back even if it's evil (and that would help even more in his 'infiltration')

nighteyes95
2017-05-25, 01:09 PM
with those rules a fairly straightforward build is Human, Paladin 2, Hexblades 3, Ur-priest 2, Bone Knight 10. not sure what the last level would be
Education at lvl 1
Iron Will human bonus
Spell Focus (evil) at lvl 3
Mother Cyst at lvl 6
need an intelligence of 14 for it to work
but either with goods that rolls or some Ability boosting items you'd end up with a fairly Tanking character casting as a lvl 10 Ur-priest with 16/17 BAB depending on what you use for the last level.
I don't have time to do a full build currently if nobody posts one that works i might have time tonight

Buufreak
2017-05-25, 01:26 PM
with those rules a fairly straightforward build is Human, Paladin 2, Hexblades 3, Ur-priest 2, Bone Knight 10. not sure what the last level would be
Education at lvl 1
Iron Will human bonus
Mother Cyst at lvl 6
but either with goods that rolls or some Ability boosting items you'd end up with a fairly Tanking character casting as a lvl 10 Ur-priest with 16/17 BAB depending on what you use for the last level.
I don't have time to do a full build currently if nobody posts one that works i might have time tonight

Last I checked, 2+3+2+10 is 17. So last 3 levels.

Silex
2017-05-25, 01:29 PM
Duskblade would definitely help with the skill choices, like Spellthief would; rogue a bit less because it has more skills points but less of the relevant ones as class skills.

Still... It's a pity not taking at least a couple of Paladin levels when the Bone Knight can give you almost all its powers back even if it's evil (and that would help even more in his 'infiltration')

Maybe a Duskblade 3, paladin (variant) 2? Although it would mix spellthief from the build. Or possibly just cut spellthief back to 1 level.

Thoughts?

Silex
2017-05-25, 01:32 PM
Education at lvl 1
Iron Will human bonus
Mother Cyst at lvl 6

Not a fan of hexblade, and don't want to kill pc saves.

My players aren't optimizers or power gamers, so while I am fine with some optimization to make fights tough, I also want things that fit thematically.

Plus, I love the idea of a Duskblade channeling plane shift, thus opening possibility for new adventures lol.

nighteyes95
2017-05-25, 03:21 PM
Last I checked, 2+3+2+10 is 17. So last 3 levels.

he said a level 18 character which is why I said one level

Not a fan of hexblade, and don't want to kill pc saves.

My players aren't optimizers or power gamers, so while I am fine with some optimization to make fights tough, I also want things that fit thematically.

Plus, I love the idea of a Duskblade channeling plane shift, thus opening possibility for new adventures lol.

fair enough I was thinking hexblade for more charisma fun.
i do love the idea of Duskblade channeling plane shift:smalleek:

Silex
2017-05-25, 04:28 PM
he said a level 18 character which is why I said one level

fair enough I was thinking hexblade for more charisma fun.
i do love the idea of Duskblade channeling plane shift:smalleek:

So you think paladin over spellthief? Pally works well with bone knight, but spellthief does work well with ur priest, at least thematically, as well as being great against caster PCs

nighteyes95
2017-05-25, 04:50 PM
So you think paladin over spellthief? Pally works well with bone knight, but spellthief does work well with ur priest, at least thematically, as well as being great against caster PCs

paladin 2, spellthief 3 would also work

2 in Paladin gets a lot of good abilities so I wouldn't really want to drop that in a bone Knight build.

and I just like stacking Paladin and hexblade because twice your charisma bonus to save throws again spells pretty nice.

Silex
2017-05-25, 05:22 PM
I did forget to mention; this NPC will get bonus vile feats, 4 if I recall, for worshipping an Elder Evil.

Have at it folks!

Silex
2017-05-25, 05:24 PM
paladin 2, spellthief 3 would also work

2 in Paladin gets a lot of good abilities so I wouldn't really want to drop that in a bone Knight build.

and I just like stacking Paladin and hexblade because twice your charisma bonus to save throws again spells pretty nice.

I agree. I think I can afford to go paladin of slaughter/tyranny 2, Duskblade 3, spellthief 1, ur priest 2, bone knight 10

John Longarrow
2017-05-25, 09:05 PM
Another fun option is Bard-4 / Paladin of slaughter - 2 before your 2 level Ur-Priest dip. Bard 4 gives you Alter Self on your list (toss in Practiced SpellCaster to get 5 hd forms and a decent duration) and you'll have a very versatile enemy.

Thurbane
2017-05-25, 09:59 PM
Bard 2/Duskblade 5/Ur-Priest 2/Bone Knight 9/Dragon Disciple 2 (not in that exact order...Duskblade levels 4 and 5 come online later in the build)

I know what you are thinking...Dragon Disciple, what the? Bonus spell slots! That's 2 bonus 9th level Ur-Priest spells a day: not to be sneezed at. The Str boost and natural attacks are just nice little extras.

Duskblade 5 gives a free quicken 1/day, with no increase to spell level. Again, can be applied to any spell you can cast, including your Ur-Priest high level spells.

Silex
2017-05-25, 11:47 PM
Bard 2/Duskblade 5/Ur-Priest 2/Bone Knight 9/Dragon Disciple 2 (not in that exact order...Duskblade levels 4 and 5 come online later in the build)

I know what you are thinking...Dragon Disciple, what the? Bonus spell slots! That's 2 bonus 9th level Ur-Priest spells a day: not to be sneezed at. The Str boost and natural attacks are just nice little extras.

Duskblade 5 gives a free quicken 1/day, with no increase to spell level. Again, can be applied to any spell you can cast, including your Ur-Priest high level spells.

I actually quite like it Thurbane. On another subject, I know you have the iron chef comp going on.
Maybe you'd be willing to check out my thread on a custom Elder Evil and give me some input. Specifically, advancing a skulking cyst far enough to be an elder evil.

Any advice or input on my threads is greatly appreciated

Thurbane
2017-05-26, 12:38 AM
Happy to have a look, but I'm far from an expert on Elder Evils. Do you have a link handy?

Silex
2017-05-26, 12:43 AM
Happy to have a look, but I'm far from an expert on Elder Evils. Do you have a link handy?

Right now, it is just ideas thrown around, and I haven't had time to get anything on paper as of yet.

As I said, would like to take a Skulking Cyst from Libris Mortis, and somehow advance it to be the Elder Evil.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions or input of any type is welcomed. Even a final product if you feel up to the task lol

Here is the link http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?523666-Help-me-create-a-custom-Elder-Evil