PDA

View Full Version : fun use of "command"

MadBear
2017-05-24, 04:50 PM
in a recent gaming session, we had a really creative use of the command spell. Our wizard cast a fog spell in the middle of an enemy camp, but unfortunately for us, a guardmen walked out at that very second.

Our paladin cast the spell "Command" at this moment and used the command term "forget". Our DM ruled, that it only knocked out the last 6 seconds of his memory, but that was enough to stop the guard from calling foul on our party.

Citan
2017-05-24, 05:30 PM
Nice one!

Depending on DM leniency (in that he accepts that you can provide "context" with your arms or facial expression), you could imagine some other 1-word commands.

1. "Obey": provided you gave a clear order just before casting Command. This one has by far the most potential for cheesiness, but as long as you don't abuse and keep within borders of the "Charm Person" or "Suggestion" guidelines (no self-harm or harming "friends" for example), DM should be flexible enough.

2. "Sleep": another very tricky to adjudicate. As a DM I would certainly not allow it to have any strong effect in a fight, at most the target's attention would drop enough to provide advantage against him for one turn (which is pretty strong imo already). However, out of fight, I see how this could be used to make someone sleep, although I would personally say it requires much time (like any person suddenly tries to sleep, but cannot do it immediately for x reason).

3. "Eat/Drink": provided you clearly put something that at least looks edible right in front of him: good to make people go to sleep or poison themselves for example (there are certainly more creative uses but I'm out of ideas at the moment).

4. "Give": provided you clearly point out an object that is either worn/held or visible and immediately accessible to the target (otherwise it would be too powerful: point out something 100 feet away and the target spends his whole turn trying to reach it? No way): the target makes everything it can to take the object and give it to you (dashing/throwing if needed).

5. "Leave/Go": in a fighting context, I'm not sure it would be proper to make it have a meaning at all, or just plain incoherent when applied to the context (you are the enemy of the target after all).
When you are not in active confrontation or the target's presence in the place is not essential to his survival though (like "I'll execute you if you leave your post"), I don't see why not. Make a guard leave his post is the evident use. Although to keep inline with PHB, the effect would end when the guard's next turn start so he would come back to his post.

6. "Blink": target would spend its next turn while blinking repeateadly, losing some agility and responsiveness (up to DM as to how to translate in mechanics: malus to hit / AC, disadvantage on Dexterity checks?)

7. "Tell": a final one that would be very dependant on situation. I could accept as the DM, if you asked the same questions several times before, that the context is clear enough for the target to understand it and answer as expected. Otherwise, the target would "tell" whatever he wants.

Other commands that I feel should be allowed as RoC but not sure if RAW (PHB does not specify the kind of word -noun/adjective/verb- but gives only verbs as examples of command).

- "Silence": target does not speaks any word until the end of its next turn.
- "Truth": target is compelled to speak truthfully during its next turn.

Commands I feel would be unacceptable because too far and wide in consequences
- "Surrender": should work by RAW, but seems totally no RAI, because this order has strong and durable implications whereas all PHB examples are very restrained in scope and duration. At best the creature would both drop its weapon and crouch during its next turn only.

In general, it feels that anything should go as long as you keep the duration of the command limited to one turn, then the creature resumes its normal course of action/thinking.

Thoughts?

solidork
2017-05-24, 10:20 PM
When I decided to start using command frequently, we had to take a close look at the given examples to try make sense of things. We decided that, generally speaking, that a failed save means that the target isn't going to be using their action for that doesn't fit the parameters of the command. So, if you tell them to come towards your or move away, they might be able to dash, but we decided that they wouldn't get to take their action regardless of where they end their movement (the example for "approach" only says that they end their turn without acting if they end their movement within 5 feet of you).

When I'm using it on my War Cleric, I am almost always commanding people to walk towards me. I've been using "approach", but it just doesn't feel right for my character (hes a Half Orc from a relatively civilized 'barbarian' tribe). The other obvious word is invalid for being a double entendre. Maybe "advance"? Commands I'm sandbagging for potential future use: confess/answer and vomit.

I agree with your interpretation for "surrender". Using it on the leader of a group of enemies could buy you a little bit of confusion. The initiatives would have to line up perfectly though; if the leader calls for surrender and then one of your allies goes immediately after him and keeps attacking, the enemies aren't gonna just stand there and take it. If I tried that with my group, it would almost certainly result in them wasting their turns by not attacking unless we had worked it out beforehand. That raises another question... how obvious is it when you cast command? Is the only verbal component the one word command?

SharkForce
2017-05-24, 11:59 PM
back when 1 round was 1 minute, "strip" could be fairly devastating to anyone wearing a lot of armour :)

Vaz
2017-05-25, 12:05 AM
in a recent gaming session, we had a really creative use of the command spell. Our wizard cast a fog spell in the middle of an enemy camp, but unfortunately for us, a guardmen walked out at that very second.

Our paladin cast the spell "Command" at this moment and used the command term "forget". Our DM ruled, that it only knocked out the last 6 seconds of his memory, but that was enough to stop the guard from calling foul on our party.

https://media.giphy.com/media/fDO2Nk0ImzvvW/giphy.gif

Dudu
2017-05-25, 01:38 AM
Not sure.

Can you actively forget about what you saw in the last seconds?

If you see an elephant, and I say "forget about the elephant!", do you actually forget about the elephant?
I would rule out that no, you wouldn't be able to.
It's like yelling "explode", people can't do that on their own. Or saying "stand" to a tetraplegic person, like some sort of optimistic reverend.

You could, however, command "ignore". Ignore is something you can actively do. Or even "shut up", which isn't even a single word, but I would rule that it works.

Arcangel4774
2017-05-25, 01:58 AM
Ignore: if the dm won't let them forget you than they can simply not pay attention.

TheMightyPotato
2017-05-25, 03:08 AM
This is a list of commands I gathered.

Monologue (finally give your dm the time to reveal his evil plan 6 seconds at a time)
Defecate (destroy someones reputation)
Strip (armor or reputation)
Dance (just fun)
Vomit (just fun)

tieren
2017-05-25, 07:17 AM
I had a fight on a boat dock once and got a few turns of respite with a Command to "swim". The opponent jumped off the dock into the water, next turn he was able to act as he wanted and started to swim and climb back to the fight but I was able to get a quick breather.

EvilAnagram
2017-05-25, 07:44 AM
I used, "Stop," in a chariot race. It caused a bit of a pileup.

Specter
2017-05-25, 07:49 AM
From Inception:

Andrew: 'Do not think about elephants'. What are you thinking about?
Saito: Elephants.
Andrew: Exactly.

This 'forget' command couldn't work on a human.

Dappershire
2017-05-25, 07:53 AM
From Inception:

Wrong. Im thinking about how you just told me not to think about elephants. If you added the power of a magical compulsion to that, i'd forget elephants entirely. But remember that you just told me to forget something.

Specter
2017-05-25, 08:09 AM
Wrong. Im thinking about how you just told me not to think about elephants.

What's the next thought after thinking about how I just told you not to think about elephants? Yeah.

Zalabim
2017-05-25, 08:34 AM
From Inception:

Personally, I'm trying to remember those two having a conversation about elephants, but I only watched the movie once. I don't know who they are, so I'm imagining Neo and Nicholas Cage. Sorry, not sure where I'm going with this.

Blacky the Blackball
2017-05-25, 09:47 AM
Sorcerers get to have even more fun with the spell.

Twinned Command: Kiss!

MadBear
2017-05-25, 11:13 AM

That moment when in the middle of court the king kisses his adviser and it just gets awkward.

Flashy
2017-05-25, 11:28 AM

Or just cast it through a second level slot.

krunchyfrogg
2017-05-25, 01:05 PM

OMG, I'm making a cleric/sorcerer just so I can do this.

Dudu
2017-05-25, 02:32 PM
@Flashy sort of already pointed that out but,
Command scales by affecting an additional target per level, so no need for Sorcerer.

In fact, I'd say Command is one of the spells with best scalling out there.

Maxilian
2017-05-25, 02:43 PM
@Flashy sort of already pointed that out but,
Command scales by affecting an additional target per level, so no need for Sorcerer.

In fact, I'd say Command is one of the spells with best scalling out there.

So that means that a Cleric / Sorcerer could cast it in a high lvl spell to make 2 people kiss and then use his bonus action to cast the marriage spell?

Specter
2017-05-25, 06:58 PM
Now I'm thinking that perhaps one of the greatest benefits of the Palasorc multiclass is getting the Command spell, so at higher levels you can target potentially all foes in the battlefield with some hardcore stuff, like 'Grovel!'

Drackolus
2017-05-25, 08:54 PM
Vomit (just fun)

I was actually gonna bring this specific word up. My paladin in a fairy-tale inspired campaign used this against the Big Bad Wolf (huge size). Freed Grandma and Little Red with a first level slot.
Still had to kill it anyway, but at least I didn't have to worry about the monster's "inhabitants" while I was beating it to a pulp.

Rixitichil
2018-08-04, 05:13 PM
Depending on context, the following words can work well: Confess, Betray, Throw, Ignite, Extinguish can all be useful. As can Dispell or Dismiss against casters with ongoing spell effects.

archetypex
2018-08-04, 05:30 PM
If you chain the spell, you could reenact the "Shake Your Tailfeather" sequence from _The Blues Brothers_. :-)

Aett_Thorn
2018-08-04, 05:33 PM
Depending on context, the following words can work well: Confess, Betray, Throw, Ignite, Extinguish can all be useful. As can Dispell or Dismiss against casters with ongoing spell effects.

Thread necro.

But what the heck...”confess” might just get the person to confess all about their unrequited love, or that time when they were ten when they fake vomited at the theatre and everyone started vomiting. (ala Chunk from the Goonies)

sithlordnergal
2018-08-04, 05:36 PM
Personal favorite use that I got to do:

Grovel on a dragon that was flying. They fell, took fall damage, and it was glorious to see a dragon groveling