PDA

View Full Version : Help with some monster abilities *Curse of Artaith players keep out!*

curious-puzzle
2017-05-24, 06:04 PM
Seriously players, you know who you are, so away with you. If you spoil stuff for yourself, I'll just make it even nastier. :smallbiggrin:

So one of the major antagonistic forces in my campaign is the imprisoned goddess of Fate. The players have discovered this last session, but just the fact of learning of her existence (and her name) has put them on the hit list for her favoured servants/creatures. Some of them are just going to be advanced PC classes, but for the creepier eldritch ones I want to give them some cool and nasty fate-themed abilities.

So what sort of cool monsters/abilities/spells/powers/feats/what have you do people know of and like that are related to fate, destiny, fortune, and the like? The Norns from pathfinder are one thing I'm considering, as well the Unluck ability of the corrupter of fate (along with the monster itself). Link fate was the other ability that stuck out to me.

Anything people can think of are more delicious ingredients to throw into the pot!

Mike Miller
2017-05-24, 09:24 PM
AFB at the moment but the Fatespinner class comes to mind. Not particularly thrilling, but it has Fate in the name.

Fuzzy McCoy
2017-05-25, 10:49 AM
Surge of Fortune is a great spell for your purposes, +2 luck bonus to all the things plus end the spell to auto roll a 20? Right up your alley!

Fizban
2017-05-25, 01:15 PM
For fatesealing: about the only ability Entropomancers have that's worth anything is their Entropic Field, which shuts down magical healing and lets them force a reroll 1/round. Hexblades are pretty thin with little support, but the free action curse and unstoppable miss chance at high levels are something. Spells, Alter Fortune (PHB2) forces a reroll, and Benediction and Execration (CCh) give bonuses or penalties with more rerolls. Fortunate Fate (SpC) is your contingent Heal spell, while Surelife (Sand) makes you not die to a specific non-combat thing, good 'ol Delay Death + Diehard makes you not die to other things, all useful for those fated to not die. The Sign spell gives you an initiative bonus. And Moment of Prescience can make something happen.

For prophecy, the Dragon Prophesier feats and related PrC from Magic of Eberron have prophecy in the title, even though they're more about free metamagic and action points. There's also the spell that gives you a free action point every round. Divine Oracles (CD) can't be surprised and have nigh-foolproof Divinations.

Monsters, there's the ol' Elemental Weirds from MM2 and their 18th level casting/free action tons of detections for 15HD and "CR 12." A number of Invevitables could be associated, guarding gods, time, ensuring death. Zodar have a number of problems but an enigmatic construct that alters reality could be useful for controlling destiny.

Kaleph
2017-05-26, 09:28 AM
For fatesealing: about the only ability Entropomancers have that's worth anything is their Entropic Field, which shuts down magical healing and lets them force a reroll 1/round. Hexblades are pretty thin with little support, but the free action curse and unstoppable miss chance at high levels are something. Spells, Alter Fortune (PHB2) forces a reroll, and Benediction and Execration (CCh) give bonuses or penalties with more rerolls. Fortunate Fate (SpC) is your contingent Heal spell, while Surelife (Sand) makes you not die to a specific non-combat thing, good 'ol Delay Death + Diehard makes you not die to other things, all useful for those fated to not die. The Sign spell gives you an initiative bonus. And Moment of Prescience can make something happen.

For prophecy, the Dragon Prophesier feats and related PrC from Magic of Eberron have prophecy in the title, even though they're more about free metamagic and action points. There's also the spell that gives you a free action point every round. Divine Oracles (CD) can't be surprised and have nigh-foolproof Divinations.

Monsters, there's the ol' Elemental Weirds from MM2 and their 18th level casting/free action tons of detections for 15HD and "CR 12." A number of Invevitables could be associated, guarding gods, time, ensuring death. Zodar have a number of problems but an enigmatic construct that alters reality could be useful for controlling destiny.

Also, inevitable. Kinda good representation of the ineluctable destiny.

curious-puzzle
2017-05-26, 10:22 AM
I was leaning towards Inevitables as well. Just have to emphasize the more alien aspects to make them creepy. Thanks for the suggestions! I had forgotten about the Weird and Zodar shenanigans, too.

Hmm...there's the Horrific Vasuthaunt as well, with that whole rewriting previous turns...

meschlum
2017-05-27, 03:15 AM
Psionics could work too...

Time Regression to state that destiny does not agree with what the players did, and enforce a new path.

Various opponents sent under Time Hop to appear at the most inconvenient moment and places, brought to the point where their fates are focused. Or sending a party member away via Time Hop, as Fate stated they'd appear later if at all.

Bend Reality / Reality Revision for when you need to rewrite what is into what should be.

Second Chance and Fate of One to alter the threads of fortune your way.

Recall Death / Recall Agony to seek to impose how things should be upon the party.

Deja Vu and Destiny Dissonance for minor effects that reflect the distortions in time being made manifest and repaired.

Modify Memory out of combat to ensure that things are remembered as being the way they should.

Thurbane
2017-05-27, 07:19 PM
I did a bit of digging in relation to creatures:

An adult or older Gold Dragon (MM) has the Luck Bonus ability that can (more-or-less) create a temporary Stone of Good Luck.

Halflings (MM/PHB) have a Luck bonus to saves.

Spirit of the Air (FF) has innate casting that includes the Luck domain and it's granted ability.

Earth Weird (FF) has fluff that links it to being foreseers of fate.

A Vasuthant (MM3) has a Reality Distortion ability that allow it to make rerolls, or can force others to make rerolls.

The Corruptor of Fate (MM4) was already mentioned in the OP.

Jaebrin (MM5) have a Luck bonus to AC.

The Xorvintaal template (MM5) can grant a dragon an ability called Twist of Fate, that give oit a couple of tactical maneuvers in response to specific triggers.

Greenspawn Zealot (MM5) gets Zealotry (reroll one save/day)

Pain Devils (FC2) get Sadism, which grants a +1 Luck bonus on attacks, saves and skill checks for every 10 points of damage they inflict on a round.

Moon Dog (BoED) gets a +2 Luck bonus on saves.

Nando
2017-05-28, 08:56 AM
Seconding the Fatespinner PrC (Complete Arcane p. 37).

Also, I was reminded of the Ruin Chanter (MMV p.132), CR14/20HD fey with some kind of "inevitable demise" fluff...and, while at it I stumbled over the Joystealer (MMIV p. 78), a fey too, CR5/6HD, which could fit as well, if you're going to use fey...

PrismCat21
2017-05-28, 11:44 AM
I was going to bring up Elemental weirds as well, and paraelemental weirds. Oh well. :)

This may be one of the rare times where using loaded dice makes since for the creatures.
With certain attacks, the same numbers always come up on attack and damage dice. All 6's for the more hellish looking creatures. All 2's for a duo team.
But only for certain abilities or protections.

A special blessing from the goddess, or magic item that grants one of her servants a permanent true strike. "It's Fated to hit!" With an aura easily recognized by the players.