PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Potion of Frostbite

Ellrin
2017-05-24, 10:42 PM
So the only restrictions I can find on brewing potions is the spell level (0-3), range (no range: personal spells), casting time (under a minute), and target (one or more creatures or objects).

Potions of offensive spells generally aren't a good idea, since you'd usually need to find some way to cram it down the target's throat, but the poisoner's gloves, for example, allow you to administer a potion as a touch attack.

Each glove may be filled with a single dose of poison, a potion, alchemist infusion, holy water, or similar liquid [...] The wearer can deliver the dose to a target as a melee touch attack or as part of an unarmed strike or natural attack with the hands (such as a claw or slam attack).

(Emphasis mine.)

This seems relatively straightforward with most offensive spells; however, I'm curious to know how this would function with spells that allow the caster to make multiple attacks, but list the target(s) of the effect as the target of the spell.

Take my eponymous example, frostbite (assuming the caster level of the potion were high enough to allow multiple attacks). Would only the first attack work? Would the character wearing the gloves be able to continue making the appropriate number of attacks as dictated by the spell rules, as if he had cast the spell? Since the drinker (or "drinker" in this case) is treated as both the target and caster with potions, would the target hold any remaining charges?

Barstro
2017-05-25, 01:16 PM
Chill Touch

Range touch
Targets creature or creatures touched (up to one/level)
Duration instantaneous
Saving Throw Fortitude partial or Will negates; see text; Spell Resistance yes

DESCRIPTION
A touch from your hand, which glows with blue energy, disrupts the life force of living creatures. Each touch channels negative energy that deals 1d6 points of damage. The touched creature also takes 1 point of Strength damage unless it makes a successful Fortitude saving throw. You can use this melee touch attack up to one time per level.

Interesting question. One logical answer is that "deliver the dose" used up the potion, so there is no way to administer it with a second attack.

I actually cannot find a way to use logic to get it for multiple attacks. Fairness should allow it, since it costs more to do it and I doubt it's cost effective at all for such a minor damage increase.

Here's my issue;
Frostbite is a standard action that creates a single touch attack. Visually, it's a charge of energy sitting on the caster's hands.

Chill touch is a standard action that allows for effects a few rounds later. It actually changes the type of attack the caster has.*

Chill Touch really is a personal spell; it basically gives the caster's hands a touch attack. If read that way (and personal spells were allowed), the gloves would allow the PC to touch himself to administer the potion, then his next (up to three) attacks would be Chill Touch.

I really like the question. Sadly, I think "only one attack" is the answer.

*I realize that particular abstract conception fails when we get to details and nothing RAW accounts for it. It's just the way that I, personally, view the spells.

EisenKreutzer
2017-05-25, 01:36 PM
Not to be a party pooper, but wouldn't delivering a potion of Frostbite via poisoners gloves to a target give the target the effects of Frostbite, not the deliverer?
So the target would be able to make the touch attacks?

Barstro
2017-05-25, 01:43 PM
Not to be a party pooper, but wouldn't delivering a potion of Frostbite via poisoners gloves to a target give the target the effects of Frostbite, not the deliverer?
That was my first thought, but I concluded "no". The spell specifically says; "Range-Touch" "Target: creature touched" "your melee touch attack" and "target is fatigued". I believe the spell creates the melee attack as part of the delivery of the range-touch spell.

Ellrin
2017-05-25, 02:45 PM

That is one of the possibilities I considered, but the first attack (assuming the potion could provide any more) would certainly affect the target—the drinker of a potion is considered both the target and caster, and the gloves effectively force the target to "drink" the potion. Since the target of the spell is the one taking the damage, the target of the gloves takes the damage from that first attack.

I think there's a decent case by RAW that the target thereafter becomes the one holding any subsequent charges the potion allows, though, silly though that seems, since he's also treated as the caster.

dude123nice
2017-05-25, 05:19 PM
Honestly, Frostbite is just a poorly worded spell.

Barstro
2017-05-25, 09:52 PM
Honestly, Frostbite is just a poorly worded spell.

Find a well worded one that suggests an answer to the posed question.