PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Length of Weapon?

Colonel Snazzy
2017-05-24, 11:16 PM
Hello all,
I've found a way to wield what is effectively a Gargantuan Full-blade, and I was wondering how long it would be.
Also, would it be possible to house-rule it having reach? (since its at least 20ft I think)
Thanks

Zaq
2017-05-24, 11:27 PM
It's possible to houserule anything. I know that isn't especially helpful, but it's what you asked.

As to whether it's reasonable to houserule it, well, I think that depends on the power level of the game (and also on what resources you used to get a weapon that big). It's not a crime to give a beatstick a nice toy or two, but that becomes easier if the rest of the party is at a similar power level and won't regret the beatstick kinda-sorta getting something for nothing. (You invested the resources, so it's not totally without cost, but it's the GM choosing to give you a benefit that the rules don't offer, so that's kinda something for nothing.)

To be clear, it seems like you know this already, but by RAW, a Medium or Small character wielding a fullblade (regardless of the size of the weapon) still has a reach of 5 ft (barring other game elements artificially increasing your reach, like Willing Deformity: Tall or Inhuman Reach).

On a final note, make sure that the tricks that you're using to increase weapon size actually stack. There are several that don't.

Psyren
2017-05-24, 11:30 PM
Reach isn't actually about the size of the weapon itself, it's about the range at which you can use it effectively. So if for example you have a large bastard sword that's as tall as you are (as the PF iconic barbarian Amiri (http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/pathfinder/images/0/0b/Amiri.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20080602015712) does) it doesn't give you reach, despite the sword being 5ft. long - you can still only effectively employ it on adjacent targets until and unless your own natural reach changes, or you use some other ability.

Thurbane
2017-05-26, 07:38 AM
In answer to the length of weapon question: A&EG says "a fullblade is 18 inches longer than a greatsword".

Let's assume a medium D&D greatsword is around the same length as an historical two handed sword or zweihander, which max out at around 70 inches (we'll go with the upper end of the spectrum, for this excercise). [side note: I'm pretty sure 1E defined two handed swords as being 6 ft, from memory].

This would put the fullblade at (very roughly) 88 inches {7' 4"}.

A Gargantuan creature is (again, roughly) 4 times as large as a Medium creature (a Medium creature takes up 5 ft. space, while a Gargantuan creature takes up 20 ft. space).

So your Gargantuan fullblade would be around 352 inches long (almost 30 ft.).

Assuming I didn't botch any calculations or assumptions.

OldTrees1
2017-05-26, 10:57 AM
In summary:

It is a 30ft blade that you are wielding in a manner to threaten a 5ft radius.

As far as coherent houserules:
A reach weapon wielded by a medium creature threatens enemies within a 10ft radius but outside a 5ft radius. So you could houserule they were wielding it as an improvised glaive.

Remember, your reach is based off your size. A "reach" weapon merely acts to shift your threatening range

Rebel7284
2017-05-27, 09:55 AM
In summary:

It is a 30ft blade that you are wielding in a manner to threaten a 5ft radius.

As far as coherent houserules:
A reach weapon wielded by a medium creature threatens enemies within a 10ft radius but outside a 5ft radius. So you could houserule they were wielding it as an improvised glaive.

Remember, your reach is based off your size. A "reach" weapon merely acts to shift your threatening range

This feels like a very elegant and balanced solution to me.