PDA

View Full Version : Should I multi class into a fighter as a barbarian?

JobsforFun
2017-05-25, 12:04 AM
I am playing in a campaign and I just recently switched to a half-orc barbarian, we were level 8 and last session we were given level 9. I was wondering should I multi class into a fighter at this level? Will multi classing at this level be bad? I have never multi classed so I am not experienced with it at all and I was wondering what were some of your opinions on it?

Vaz
2017-05-25, 12:23 AM
It depends on what you want. You're actually at a decent break point if there's nothing more you want especially from Barbarian, and even just dipping into Fighter 3 for Champion can really make you brutal when it comes to Barbarianing. Brutal Critical however makes those Critical Hits you get from a Champion Fighter's increased range even more damaging, and even more often. If you've capped out on Strength, I don't see a good reason as to why you shouldn't.

Fighter gives you a Fighting Stance, plus Improved Crit. The Battle Master alternatively can add some more consistent damage and let maybe a Party rogue get an off turn Sneak Attack against what you're fighting.

I played a Barbarian Berserker 14/Champion Fighter 3, and when you're doing so much damage that even when they're attacking you, you can make another attack which has a chance of critical hitting. A combination of that and Shield Master with Unarmoured Defence makes you really resilient. It was only for a one shot though.

djreynolds
2017-05-25, 01:00 AM
It depends on what you want. You're actually at a decent break point if there's nothing more you want especially from Barbarian, and even just dipping into Fighter 3 for Champion can really make you brutal when it comes to Barbarianing. Brutal Critical however makes those Critical Hits you get from a Champion Fighter's increased range even more damaging, and even more often. If you've capped out on Strength, I don't see a good reason as to why you shouldn't.

Fighter gives you a Fighting Stance, plus Improved Crit. The Battle Master alternatively can add some more consistent damage and let maybe a Party rogue get an off turn Sneak Attack against what you're fighting.

I played a Barbarian Berserker 14/Champion Fighter 3, and when you're doing so much damage that even when they're attacking you, you can make another attack which has a chance of critical hitting. A combination of that and Shield Master with Unarmoured Defence makes you really resilient. It was only for a one shot though.

I like this build. Got the goodies from barbarian and a nice addition of fighter.

Now to wait on brutal critical at 9th, or grab 1 fighter... I say grab the 1 fighter now and get to champion 3, and then the rest barbarian

Shield master and reckless attack are both good ways to grab advantage

krunchyfrogg
2017-05-25, 09:07 AM
It's tricky. If you have any chance of hitting 20th level, just stay barbarian. The capstone is awesome.

ChampionWiggles
2017-05-25, 09:36 AM
Like Vaz said, it depends on what you're trying to do. When multiclassing, the questions you have to ask yourself are "What am I postponing myself from getting in my main class?" "What high lvl abilities do I lose out on end game for my main class?" and "Is what I'm gaining from the new class outweigh what I would be getting?"

Most classes have a lvl 20 capstone ability that is kind of "Meh" and can afford taking a couple multi-class levels, but Barbarian is one of the few classes that has a pretty good lvl 20 ability. +4 to STR and CON and it can raise them past the normal 20 capstone. That's +2 to attack, damage, Unarmored AC, and a free +40 HP. Not only that, but you also get unlimited rage use at lvl 20 barbarian. Granted, in a normal adventuring day, you shouldn't need to rage more than 6 times per long rest.

Fighter is the only class that can really make that trade-in worthwhile and that's mostly because Action Surge is a lvl 2 Fighter ability and it's just so good (At least that's my opinion). If you are hoping for a better chance to get Savage Criticals, then going into Champion Fighter isn't a bad idea. If you're looking to be able to do more in combat than just "HULK SMASH", then Battle Master would be worthwhile.

As others have said, you're at a good point to multiclass if you choose to.

Specter
2017-05-25, 09:41 AM
The only case in which you shouldn't take a few Fighter levels as a Barbarian is if your campaign surely going up to level 20, because the Barbarian capstone is too good. Otherwise, MC away.

You already have Rage, Reckless Attack and Extra Attack, which are the most important Barbarian things. Now fighter can bring more short rest resources and strategy to your hands.

bid
2017-05-25, 09:45 AM
I am playing in a campaign and I just recently switched to a half-orc barbarian, we were level 8 and last session we were given level 9. I was wondering should I multi class into a fighter at this level? Will multi classing at this level be bad? I have never multi classed so I am not experienced with it at all and I was wondering what were some of your opinions on it?
The +3 rage damage and brutal critical are hard to beat.

Multiclassing should open up new avenues. For instance, getting rogue 1 could give you expertise in athletics and turn you into a wrestler. That 's something that changes your RP concept.

Champion would prolly be +1 AC (or +1 damage), an action surge to react once in a while, and the fun of critting more often. Nothing wrong per se, but it won't make you "better", nor "different".

That being said, you seem to change character often enough that some experimentation might be good. Barbarian 17 / champion 3 is a good target if you keep the character that long.

krunchyfrogg
2017-05-25, 10:09 AM
the +3 rage damage and brutal critical are hard to beat.

Multiclassing should open up new avenues. For instance, getting rogue 1 could give you expertise in athletics and turn you into a wrestler. That 's something that changes your rp concept.

Champion would prolly be +1 ac (or +1 damage), an action surge to react once in a while, and the fun of critting more often. Nothing wrong per se, but it won't make you "better", nor "different".

That being said, you seem to change character often enough that some experimentation might be good. Barbarian 17 / champion 3 is a good target if you keep the character that long.

+1 ac?

Biggstick
2017-05-25, 10:41 AM
+1 ac?

Bid is talking about fighting styles. He means Defense for +1, Dueling for +2 damage, or potentially GWF.

krunchyfrogg
2017-05-25, 10:57 AM
Bid is talking about fighting styles. He means Defense for +1, Dueling for +2 damage, or potentially GWF.
I hadn't thought of that. I haven't seen any barbarians wear armor in such a long time!

Biggstick
2017-05-25, 01:06 PM
I hadn't thought of that. I haven't seen any barbarians wear armor in such a long time!

It's easier to have a decent AC when using medium armor if you're using Point Buy and playing a Barbarian. Certain armors are also magical, and grant a benefit other then just AC.

jaappleton
2017-05-25, 01:06 PM

If the table allows UA, I believe the Mariner style doesn't require armor. Just make sure you don't use Heavy (which Barbs don't want anyway)

bid
2017-05-25, 01:52 PM
If the table allows UA, I believe the Mariner style doesn't require armor. Just make sure you don't use Heavy (which Barbs don't want anyway)
And no shield, which is not an issue for 2-handers.

Unarmored defense is mostly fluff. Sure, a stout halfling is a good candidate for nakedness: Str17 Dex20 Con24 yields AC22 before the magic shield pushes it past AC25. But a typical barbarian 20 has Dex14 / Con24 for AC19, same as a half-plate+2.

And leveling up, you will prioritize GWM and Str20. With Dex14 / Con16 you only get AC15 compared to AC17 from half-plate.

Cl0001
2017-05-25, 02:05 PM
If the campaign will last to level 20, stay barbarian. It has the best capstone ability. If it won't go to 20 then I'd definitely multiclass. A few levels in fighter can give you a bunch of powerful abilities including a fighting style, action surge and second wind

SharkForce
2017-05-25, 02:28 PM
And no shield, which is not an issue for 2-handers.

Unarmored defense is mostly fluff. Sure, a stout halfling is a good candidate for nakedness: Str17 Dex20 Con24 yields AC22 before the magic shield pushes it past AC25. But a typical barbarian 20 has Dex14 / Con24 for AC19, same as a half-plate+2.

And leveling up, you will prioritize GWM and Str20. With Dex14 / Con16 you only get AC15 compared to AC17 from half-plate.

edit: huh... ok, umm... i totally missed your last line somehow. turns out we're agreeing. carry on, nothing to see here! :P

and a typical barbarian 1 through 19 doesn't have con 20, let alone con 24, and will probably build for feats rather than maxing con. because until you get that 24 con, there is *no* difference in AC between half-plate and unarmored defense for even a max con barbarian, let alone one that is still building up attributes. and over the course of 20 levels, it isn't exactly super improbable for the barbarian to find some magical armour, either.

naked AC is a poor argument for going 20 levels in barbarian unless you are actually starting at level 20. if you're going to be spending the great majority of your time in between level 1 and 20, armour is a much more interesting choice, since even if you don't go for the most optimized damage build, feats generally provide you with something much more interesting than +2 to an attribute.

Biggstick
2017-05-25, 03:15 PM
And a typical barbarian 1 through 19 doesn't have con 20, let alone con 24, and will probably build for feats rather than maxing con. because until you get that 24 con, there is *no* difference in AC between half-plate and unarmored defense for even a max con barbarian, let alone one that is still building up attributes. and over the course of 20 levels, it isn't exactly super improbable for the barbarian to find some magical armour, either.

Naked AC is a poor argument for going 20 levels in barbarian unless you are actually starting at level 20. if you're going to be spending the great majority of your time in between level 1 and 20, armour is a much more interesting choice, since even if you don't go for the most optimized damage build, feats generally provide you with something much more interesting than +2 to an attribute.

Both very good points. I don't think I've ever seen a Barbarian with 20 Con. In fact, the only PC I've ever seen with 20 Constitution is my own level 12 Hill Dwarf Nature Cleric (Stat rolls with the shared-best set of 4d6d1 from a group of 7 other Players, which had a pair of 17's in it). I was able to start with 19 Con and took Resilient Con as my 8th level ASI.

A Barbarian using a 2 handed weapon has three awesome combat feats available with PAM, GWM, and Sentinel. They should be grabbing at least one of those imo. Their other ASI's should go towards getting 18-20 Strength, Resilient Wisdom/Lucky, and there isn't much room left after that. No room in that ASI progression to get Constitution past 16 or 18 unless you've rolled amazing stats.

bid
2017-05-25, 04:24 PM
edit: huh... ok, umm... i totally missed your last line somehow. turns out we're agreeing. carry on, nothing to see here! :P
Nice brainfart! :smallbiggrin:

SharkForce
2017-05-25, 07:52 PM
Both very good points. I don't think I've ever seen a Barbarian with 20 Con. In fact, the only PC I've ever seen with 20 Constitution is my own level 12 Hill Dwarf Nature Cleric (Stat rolls with the shared-best set of 4d6d1 from a group of 7 other Players, which had a pair of 17's in it). I was able to start with 19 Con and took Resilient Con as my 8th level ASI.

A Barbarian using a 2 handed weapon has three awesome combat feats available with PAM, GWM, and Sentinel. They should be grabbing at least one of those imo. Their other ASI's should go towards getting 18-20 Strength, Resilient Wisdom/Lucky, and there isn't much room left after that. No room in that ASI progression to get Constitution past 16 or 18 unless you've rolled amazing stats.

well, when i said that feats grant something more interesting, i mostly was referring to feats other than the standard damage-increasing ones (those would fall under the "optimized build" category i mentioned). mounted combatant, for example, is far from optimized for a barbarian in most situations (the exception being party optimization where a second character is your mount as a moon druid)... but if what you want to play is a mounted combatant does offer some interesting things. stuff that offers new and interesting options, like tavern brawler (because you want to use the chains that you were imprisoned in as your primary weapon) or martial adept (because you want to sometimes be so terrifying in combat that your enemies are crippled by their fear).

because if you just want to be better at doing the things you're already doing, hands-down you should go for PM/GWM with a halberd, and maybe sentinel depending on the situation. it basically just flat out makes you better at being a barbarian.