PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 D&D. A young Red Dragon, RAW, wants to assume humanoid form easily.

Metahuman1
2017-05-25, 12:16 AM
As the title says.

Any suggestions on how this dragon could do that?

Coidzor
2017-05-25, 12:23 AM
Add 5 Sorcerer levels to him, have him take the Alternate Form feat from Dragons of Eberron.

I can't recall exactly if it would give him the ability to change into humanoid forms, but Reincarnate would probably be able to make him into a Steel, Bronze, Gold, or Silver Dragon (eventually).

Metahuman1
2017-05-25, 12:26 AM
Does it have to be 5 levels of sorcerer, or would merely having casting as a 5th level sorcerer be good enough?

Scots Dragon
2017-05-25, 12:35 AM
It doesn't specify, and only says that you have to be a true dragon with a sorcerer level of 5th. The language of the rest of the book, as seen in Loredrake and Wyrm of War, lends itself to suggesting that this refers to a dragon's innate spellcasting plus whatever levels of sorcerer they might have on top of that.

A young dragon would only need 4 sorcerer levels to qualify for the feat, though a fifth level might be necessary because that's the HD at which they'll gain a new feat. A young red dragon is 19 HD, +4 is only 23HD, with the next feat being at 24HD unless you're using Pathfinder's feat progression rules.

Metahuman1
2017-05-25, 01:08 AM
Awesome! I think we have it then!

J-H
2017-05-27, 12:36 PM
Use the xorvintaal abilities from... mm5 i believe. One of the selectable choices is alternate form.

Draconium
2017-05-27, 02:05 PM
A young dragon would only need 4 sorcerer levels to qualify for the feat, though a fifth level might be necessary because that's the HD at which they'll gain a new feat. A young red dragon is 19 HD, +4 is only 23HD, with the next feat being at 24HD unless you're using Pathfinder's feat progression rules.

Small nitpick: Young Red Dragons have 13 Hit Dice, Young Adults have 19. Of course, 13+4+17, so there otherwise isn't a problem with your math. :smalltongue:

Use the xorvintaal abilities from... mm5 i believe. One of the selectable choices is alternate form.

Nope, you gotta be a Young Adult dragon to take the Xorvintaal template. He's too young. And a Young Adult dragon has 5 sorcerer casting levels anyways, so he can just take the feat (... next time he gains two Hit Dice).

Dragolord
2017-05-27, 03:13 PM
Add 5 Sorcerer levels to him, have him take the Alternate Form feat from Dragons of Eberron.

I can't recall exactly if it would give him the ability to change into humanoid forms, but Reincarnate would probably be able to make him into a Steel, Bronze, Gold, or Silver Dragon (eventually).

"Easily" does not, to my mind, entail repeated Druid-enabled suicide and resurrection.

daremetoidareyo
2017-05-27, 06:58 PM
"Easily" does not, to my mind, entail repeated Druid-enabled suicide and resurrection.

This made me laugh. Exemplifies that TO vs at the table thread before it became a fighter measuring contest

Barbarian Horde
2017-05-27, 10:48 PM
I swear I seen the concept already somewhere in the 3.5 D&D Archives. The article in question had a Red Dragon who assumed the form of a Humanoid Merchant who made created his hoard of treasure through the means of capitalism. Does anyone remember?

Coidzor
2017-05-27, 11:28 PM
I swear I seen the concept already somewhere in the 3.5 D&D Archives. The article in question had a Red Dragon who assumed the form of a Humanoid Merchant who made created his hoard of treasure through the means of capitalism. Does anyone remember?

Are you sure you're not thinking of a Steel Dragon?