PDA

View Full Version : Movies Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

BWR
2017-05-25, 01:45 AM
The film I'm most excited for this year, rivaled only by Wonder Woman, is this one so I thought it was time to share the hype if you haven't heard of it yet. It is based on the excellent comic by Christin and Mézières, which is full of all the visually spectacular things one enjoys in really far out SF: amazing vistas, weird alien races, outlandish plots, at best a passing resemblance to real world physics, and situations that are not always solved by hitting/shooting/blowing things up.

I'm generally fond of Luc Besson's films and this one looks fantastic. The two gripes I have at this point are the casting for the titular hero and the title. This whey-faced dude does not resemble the handsome and resourceful Valerian. Dropping Laureline from the title does her a disservice. I know this is partially in line with the comics, but the two are a team and casually dropping her name in either case annoys me.

Hopeless
2017-05-25, 05:12 AM
Doesn't sound like they're familiar with the source material?!

Hope it's not as bad as the idiot behind the Dragonball movie who didn't even bother watching the original fortunately they chose the right person to play Piccolo whilst Goku went on to play Superman in a Dr Who Xmas Special!

Hope this does better!

Southern Cross
2017-05-25, 05:46 AM
Considering the movie Laureline is a blond, while the comic version is a redhead, you may have a point...

Eladrinblade
2017-05-25, 11:36 AM
What grabbed my interest the most was actually their casting choices for the main characters. A guy and girl I've never seen before, who look more attractive than average but both clearly have appearance flaws, and who seem competent and powerful despite appearing to be teenagers. Yet everywhere on the internet, it's getting bashed for those very same reasons.

Leewei
2017-05-25, 12:01 PM
The movie looks gorgeous. If it's smart, well-acted, and immersive, so much the better -- but I'd watch it for looks alone, much like Avatar.

Legato Endless
2017-05-25, 04:14 PM
As the most expensive film to come out of France, I'm a bit worried how risky this venture looks. The comic isn't very well known in the US, and the trailers look a bit too similar to Jupiter Ascending. With so little in the way of Space Opera besides Star Wars I'd really prefer this didn't flop...

theMycon
2017-05-25, 04:40 PM
I've been looking forward to it since the first trailer. It looks like the a Purified version of Besson's best movie, Fifth Element.

Looking at them, I'm amazed to find out that Valerian (Dane DeHaan) is 31, and Laureline (Cara Delevingne) is 25. They look 13, 14; and I would've guessed maybe 21.

Pex
2017-05-25, 05:41 PM
I never heard of it before but figured it was based on some anime comic. As a sci-fi movie the special effects in the trailer sell the movie. The plot given isn't original, not that it need be, but I'm hoping the story and acting deliver.

Artemis97
2017-05-25, 08:35 PM
I've been looking forward to this film from when I first saw the trailers for it months ago. Everything I've heard about the universe and the comics, and their relation to the Fifth Element (A Personal Favorite), has been promising. I really, really hope this one doesn't flop.

Does anyone know the release date for the US?

Rodin
2017-05-25, 09:10 PM
As the most expensive film to come out of France, I'm a bit worried how risky this venture looks. The comic isn't very well known in the US, and the trailers look a bit too similar to Jupiter Ascending. With so little in the way of Space Opera besides Star Wars I'd really prefer this didn't flop...

The similarities to Jupiter Ascending certainly have me terrified. I almost went to watch that one without waiting for reviews because the trailers were so good. I only got saved by not realizing the exact date it came out, so word of the awful reviews reached me before I knew it was out.

If it gets good reviews, I'll watch. I'm not going without waiting for critical reviews though.

And if it does turn out to be good, that'll be a shame, because a lot of people will just not go because of the similarities in the trailers. Jupiter Ascending really poisoned the well. I just hope that Guardians of the Galaxy 2 will have helped purify the waters enough to get butts back into seats.

JadedDM
2017-05-26, 12:51 AM
Does anyone know the release date for the US?

July 21st.

Artemis97
2017-05-26, 06:00 PM
Awesome, thank you.