View Full Version : Player Help Level 13 Caster build Ideas?

Khrysaes
2017-05-25, 03:40 AM
I got thrown into a level 13 game for the next foreseeable future, and spent half of my first session making a new character.

Now, I made tables to allow me to quickly roll a concept, based on what instructions I have been given.

Terrifyingly, I rolled a Sorceror, and Yuanti.

This is good because there is a Melee hunter Ranger, a Barbarian, a Battlemaster, and a Bard in the party.

Someone else who joined at the same time decided to make a Necromancer Wizard.

So I decided to make an Oathbreaker Sorcadin because I am more familiar with melee and gish characters than casters.

Now the problem. The wizard will not be continuing with us, and I am not sure I want to continue as a sorcadin.

I want to create a ranged character, preferably with some burst ability. This is the Tyranny of dragons adventure. All published works are allowed, no UA. 3 Uncommon items, 1 Rare.

I have no idea what to make.

What I have is a Yuanti Pureblood Oathbreaker 9/Draconic Sorceror 4. 13(21)/ 14/15/9/8/20

Chosen items were mithril fullplate, +1 longsword, +1 shield.

Foxhound438
2017-05-25, 04:12 AM
are you being allowed to start from scratch? If so, I'd recommend going with pure sorcerer. Higher level spells and all. For damage your best bet is to do something like quickened fireball (or higher level equivalent if you need) followed by a cantrip, or maybe cast something like storm sphere and have that to do damage on your bonus action with other spells as your main action. You should probably spend some time reading through the spells on the sorcerer's list so you can get a handle on what kind of damage options you can take, but of course that takes quite a bit of time.

Lombra
2017-05-25, 05:34 AM
This is out of topic so sorry about that, but: why orceror? I've always read it sorcerer, but sometimes someone uses the o in place of the e, why is that so?

On topic: if you want to stay ranged keep pure sorcerer, i like sorcerers as buffer/debuffers more than blasters (I have a weakness for twinned haste) but at that level everything is possible, sadly I can't help you with the magic items, but anything that gives you more damage or more ways to get out of melee should be good.

Khrysaes
2017-05-25, 06:23 AM
This is out of topic so sorry about that, but: why orceror? I've always read it sorcerer, but sometimes someone uses the o in place of the e, why is that so?

On topic: if you want to stay ranged keep pure sorcerer, i like sorcerers as buffer/debuffers more than blasters (I have a weakness for twinned haste) but at that level everything is possible, sadly I can't help you with the magic items, but anything that gives you more damage or more ways to get out of melee should be good.

It is actually spelt sorcerer. I have the poor habit of spelling it with an O instead of an E because of how it phonetically sounds to me. I usually notice and change the spelling to the proper way. It is like spelling disease: desease.

English is an annoying language.

Byke
2017-05-25, 06:59 AM
If UA is allowed Shadow Sorc 11/ Hex 2 might fit what you are looking for.

xen
2017-05-25, 07:19 AM
No UA allowed per OP.

Fighter/Tempest Cleric?

To the OP, please define a little more what you are looking for.

Caster, Longbow, throw a kettle at them?

A straight up fiend lock would give you ranged and burst. A Rogue would give you easy ranged attacks and consistent high damage considering your party (probably very high damage depending on what your Battlemaster can do). Straight up draconic sorcerer would fit the bill as well.

Specter
2017-05-25, 07:44 AM
Ranged caster with burst ability? Can't go wrong with Storm Sorcerer 11/Warlock 2. Eldritch Agonizing Blast gives you top tier damage with a cantrip, and you can always quicken a lightning bolt along with it to make things nicer.

The Storm origin may not be the best, but it facilitates movement and gives you some nice resistances.

Khrysaes
2017-05-25, 07:34 PM
No UA allowed per OP.

Fighter/Tempest Cleric?

To the OP, please define a little more what you are looking for.

Caster, Longbow, throw a kettle at them?

A straight up fiend lock would give you ranged and burst. A Rogue would give you easy ranged attacks and consistent high damage considering your party (probably very high damage depending on what your Battlemaster can do). Straight up draconic sorcerer would fit the bill as well.

I honestly don't know.

If I had the ability to use UA it would be much easier.

I need a ranged character, preferably with decent party support. I was thinking recently of a multiclass sorc/warlock.

The problem is, is that I REALLY like 6-7 paladin/sorc x.

I also considered a Archer Fighter/Warlock. EK with Warcaster, use EB then Bow. But it doesn't have much synergy with the warlock otherwise.

Warlock/Sorc

I would like heavy armor. That seems to be what I want.

JeffreyGator
2017-05-25, 08:17 PM
I like the SorLock for you

3 BladeLock and the Rest Sorcerer (probably storm from SCAG)

You could take 5 Lock but for melee I like the melee cantrips as well or better than dual attack.

And SCAG is allowed so you have plenty of cantrips.

Doesn't have heavy armor though

Specter
2017-05-25, 08:26 PM
Warlock/Sorc

I would like heavy armor. That seems to be what I want.

All it takes is the 1st level as fighter, to get the best save proficiency and heavy armor and +1AC and bonus action healing.

Khrysaes
2017-05-25, 08:57 PM
All it takes is the 1st level as fighter, to get the best save proficiency and heavy armor and +1AC and bonus action healing.

So thinking this way,

1 level of fighter
3 levels of warlock
9 levels of sorc.

Gets my 5th level spells on character creation, and pretty much all I want from Warlock, and heavy armor from fighter

I am sad about missing that ASI though...

So perhaps 1/4/8.. Though I sacrifice my 5th level spells.

Alternatively, I could do 1 level of cleric, which would allow me to have 5th level slots, and heavy armor. I could get the cleric cantrips as well. I wouldnt get defensive style, or the better saves though :(

Cleric would also allow me to function as a support with some healing. We only have the lore bard.

djreynolds
2017-05-26, 02:57 AM
6th level spells... chain lightning and disintegrate

Just play a full sorcerer

Byke
2017-05-26, 02:38 PM
If UA is allowed Shadow Sorc 11/ Hex 2 might fit what you are looking for.

If UA is allowed then you don't need anything else.

Great AOE, Excellent single target via EB/Hex/Curse/Quicken, Con saves, extremely tanky medium armor and shield. Darkness Cheese, Quicken/Twin booming blade if you feel like melee. Great buffing via Twin haste, impose disadv via dog...ect..ect..ect..ect..

Currently playing this setup and it's awesome.

Khrysaes
2017-05-26, 03:24 PM

Great AOE, Excellent single target via EB/Hex/Curse/Quicken, Con saves, extremely tanky medium armor and shield. Darkness Cheese, Quicken/Twin booming blade if you feel like melee. Great buffing via Twin haste, impose disadv via dog...ect..ect..ect..ect..

I would love to do a shadow sorc/hex.

UA isn't allowed.

Although I the DM did approve the frost spear invocation.

He also approved the one that makes it so you don't sleep. But, I cant get spell slots past the maximum shown on the table. so no Java.

Khrysaes
2017-05-26, 07:03 PM

So.. I just got done talking with the DM. and after review he will allow a hexblade/shadow sorcerer.

How would I go about building these? I am assuming that the Invocations I would take are Devil's sight and agonizing blast?

What race should I pick? Half elf? Human? Aasimar(doesn't make sense), Yuanti?

He also changed Cursebringer saying that it doesn't have to be a greatsword, but it can be a one handed sword instead. Like me, he seems to think that requiring a subclass with a class feature that allows you to use Cha to hit and damage for an invocation that gives you a weapon you cant use that class feature with doesn't make sense.

Because of cursebringer, should I go more levels in Warlock? At third level I also get second level spells, which is a few more sorcery points per short rest.

Also please note that 6 Paladin for the Cha to saves, and 7 Paladin Ancients or Oathbreaker are still very tempting. Probably ancients in this case.

On another note, he would allow Undying Light warlock as well. However, he will not allow Draconic elemental affinity to stack with the level 1 feature.

But on that thought, By raw it just says add your charisma modifier to damage, for both of these, so does Agonizing blast.

Therefore, would a 2 Lore wizard, 2 Undying Light Warlock, 6 Draconic sorcerer, be able to cast eldritch blast as a fire spell with +15 per ray?

Mortis_Elrod
2017-05-26, 09:02 PM
So.....

here's some options.
Merfolk (Emeria/Wind)
Tempest Cleric 6/ Storm Sorcerer 7. or Tempest Cleric 2 Storm Sorcerer 9 Hexblade 2

Second build is more gishy but both can do ranged. You got +1 Cha +2 Wis from racials and a free druid cantrip. If you prioritize Wisdom or if you want to melee it up in the first build you can take shillelagh. If not druidcraft, thornwhip, produce flame, control flames, shape water, mold earth, magic stone, gust, frostbite, or thunderclap is nice. Second build can get CHA to attack so change priorities there, leaving wis at 16 is fine.
Merfolk is in Planeshift: Zendikar and the spells you may not recognize offhand are from Elemental Evil.

I would go for build two since you get 11th level spell slots and CHA to attack as well as 5th level spells from sorcerer. You get heavy armor proff and martials from cleric (though you already get martials from hexblade). Pick up a Mace and be Thor. Also pick up booming blade.

djreynolds
2017-05-27, 01:13 AM
At level 13, casters hit their prime. With standard array you have a 20 in your casting stat and +5 to your spell DC.

Disintegrate is awesome and so is chain lightning. And you still have BB/GFB for melee. Too easy. You AC will be fine and you have the shield spell for +5AC.

I would play a straight up dragon sorcerer at level 13. At level 14 you have can fly. With draconic armor and a decent dex you could have AC 16-AC18.

Corran
2017-05-27, 01:33 AM
If you want to play a ranged character (as I seem to have seen a few posts back), then drop the paladin levels. If you like the idea of smiting with your spell slots, and still be in range, you could always take 3 evels in warlock (archfey) for blade pact and moonbow (you will retrain one of the invocations gained at level 2 into oombow when you hit warlocl 3 and get the blade pact), and then start adding sorcerer (or bard?) levels on top of that. Three warlock levels are probably enough (as EB seems better in term of dpr), but nabing an extra attack somehow (warlock 5, or valor bard) wouldnt hurt for when you want to go nova.

If you want to play a melee gish, involving shadow sorcerer, I would advise getting resilient con and perhaps even 6 levels in paladin for aura of protection, in order to exploit the strength of the grave, which is incredible on melee characters.

If you are set on hexblade however, and aiming for a melee gish, then perhaps you could look into stone sorcerer instead of shadow sorcerer. The idea here is let the hexblade replace your attacking stat with cha, and the stone sorcerer replace your need for a good dex/str for AC purposes with con. This way you have a character that relies for everything on 2 stats: CHA and CON. Which coincidentally are the stats that affect your spellcasting and hp too. If going this route, 1 level of hexblade can be enough, but a 3rd level can also be justified if you want to grab the reworked by your DM smite invocation, and following on that, perhaps even 5 levels could be justified in hexblade, for extra attack and thus better nova potential (and not dpr, as for dpr using cantrips will just be better than using extra attack, at least in most cases).
Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?519483-Hexblade-Warlock-1-Stone-Sorcerer-X-better-than-a-Paladin-Sorcerer) is a thread by Klorox, discussing this last apporach, in case it interests you.

djreynolds
2017-05-27, 03:06 AM
6th level spells are awesome and so are 7th level spells, these spells are literally game changers.

Smites and plate armor is nice, but a full 13th level caster, arcane or divine, is scary at 13th level and on

A sorcerer with heightened at 13th level, no one is routinely making those saving throws

This is good because there is a Melee hunter Ranger, a Barbarian, a Battlemaster, and a Bard in the party.

I mean what do you need to do in melee.... other than twin haste the barbarian and fighter and stay back and disintegrate stuff with green rays

Grab any sorcerer, max out charisma and grab magic initiate for EB or resilient wisdom, 3 ASI/feats

Khrysaes
2017-05-27, 04:04 AM
If you want to play a ranged character (as I seem to have seen a few posts back), then drop the paladin levels. If you like the idea of smiting with your spell slots, and still be in range, you could always take 3 evels in warlock (archfey) for blade pact and moonbow (you will retrain one of the invocations gained at level 2 into oombow when you hit warlocl 3 and get the blade pact), and then start adding sorcerer (or bard?) levels on top of that. Three warlock levels are probably enough (as EB seems better in term of dpr), but nabing an extra attack somehow (warlock 5, or valor bard) wouldnt hurt for when you want to go nova.

If you want to play a melee gish, involving shadow sorcerer, I would advise getting resilient con and perhaps even 6 levels in paladin for aura of protection, in order to exploit the strength of the grave, which is incredible on melee characters.

If you are set on hexblade however, and aiming for a melee gish, then perhaps you could look into stone sorcerer instead of shadow sorcerer. The idea here is let the hexblade replace your attacking stat with cha, and the stone sorcerer replace your need for a good dex/str for AC purposes with con. This way you have a character that relies for everything on 2 stats: CHA and CON. Which coincidentally are the stats that affect your spellcasting and hp too. If going this route, 1 level of hexblade can be enough, but a 3rd level can also be justified if you want to grab the reworked by your DM smite invocation, and following on that, perhaps even 5 levels could be justified in hexblade, for extra attack and thus better nova potential (and not dpr, as for dpr using cantrips will just be better than using extra attack, at least in most cases).
Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?519483-Hexblade-Warlock-1-Stone-Sorcerer-X-better-than-a-Paladin-Sorcerer) is a thread by Klorox, discussing this last apporach, in case it interests you.

Moonbow is not allowed.

Yeah, I was looking at various potential Builds regarding the Hexblade.

I actually came across http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?516847-Hexblade-Patron-Pact-of-the-Blade-Curse-Bringer-invocation-Witcher
Which discusses making a Witcher like character from the Hexblade, and which spells/whatever would work as the signs.

The DM is a big fan of Concept > Mechanics, which I support but am bad at in practice. I get hung up on numbers so easily because I love mechanics, it is literally my bread and butter as a game designer, and breaking those mechanics is just a part of balance testing, which is also fun.

So, I think he would go for a Witcher based Hexblade, especially with an appropriate background/feats. Such as the alchemist feat. and a BG that gives gwent & alchemist or herbalism kits. I also love the spell less ranger and artificer for their poultices in these concepts, especially if the alchemist feat were to stack with their healing abilities instead of just potions of healing. The only problem being that those healing abilities are tied to class levels.

Looking at the signs I was thinking of the following:

Igni: Greenflame blade/prestidigitation
Quen: Shield/Armor of agathys
Aard: Repelling blast/Thunderclap
Yrden: Hunger of Hadar/ Ray of frost/or the slowing EB invocation that requires Feylock/Repelling blast/Booming Blade
Axii: Suggestion/ Charm person/ Hold Person
Heliotrop: Armor of Agathys/Ancient Paladin level 7
Somne: Suggestion/Sleep

Witcher Sight: Detect Magic invocation/Devil's Sight or Darkvision race

The problem I am facing, is that the paladin's Cha to saves is oh so lovely looking, while the warlock's Cursebringer really needs 3rd level spell slots to take the most advantage of.

The paladin abilities also fit well with a Witcher's abilities, with immunity to disease and the ability to shrug off most hits(cha to saves/ancient 7). Accelerated healing(lay on hands) uncanny ability to track and hunt(hunter's mark, also the shadow hound).

Perhaps if i could get the DM to allow the warlock to use the spell point variant, with spell points/short rest. This would make their "slots" stack with another caster type and would solve the issue of multiclassing and ending up without the slots.

To be clear, this would only stack for the spell points. A warlock wouldn't stack with another class for spell level known. Other classes would stack normally for that.

djreynolds
2017-05-27, 06:08 AM
You got a lot going on here and lots of players in melee.

I see the witcher and that helps me out envisioning what you want.

Paladin 6 is a huge upgrade of the paladin with that aura of protection

Now if you multiclass into a caster you will need war caster with a shield for those arcane spells

But you could also just go with 2 paladin and get the ability to smite and still wear heavy armor.

What exactly do you want out of warlock?

Citan
2017-05-27, 06:38 AM
I got thrown into a level 13 game for the next foreseeable future, and spent half of my first session making a new character.

Now, I made tables to allow me to quickly roll a concept, based on what instructions I have been given.

Terrifyingly, I rolled a Sorceror, and Yuanti.

Someone else who joined at the same time decided to make a Necromancer Wizard.

So I decided to make an Oathbreaker Sorcadin because I am more familiar with melee and gish characters than casters.

Now the problem. The wizard will not be continuing with us, and I am not sure I want to continue as a sorcadin.

I want to create a ranged character, preferably with some burst ability. This is the Tyranny of dragons adventure. All published works are allowed, no UA. 3 Uncommon items, 1 Rare.

I have no idea what to make.

What I have is a Yuanti Pureblood Oathbreaker 9/Draconic Sorceror 4. 13(21)/ 14/15/9/8/20

Chosen items were mithril fullplate, +1 longsword, +1 shield.
If you want a purely ranged caster with burst damage, with no UA allowed, I'd say it would be difficult to make better option than Sorcerer / Warlock.
More specifically, a Fey Tome Warlock 5 / Draconic (fire) Sorcerer 8

Build

Warlock side
Pick Agonizing, Repelling Blast along with Rituals Invocation if you'd like to take the place of Wizard in this aspect, otherwise Devil's Sight or Shadow Armor. Learn Hex, Armor of Agathys, Mirror Image, Faerie Fire, Plant Growth. Learn the following cantrips: Eldricht Blast, GreenFlame Blade, Thorns Whip, then whatever you like for the rest (Mage Hand, Mold Earth, Message, Prestidigitation, Guidance, Produce Flame, Spare the Dying etc).

Sorcerer side
Learn Burning Hands, Shield, Chromatic Bolt, Fireball, Stinking Cloud, Greater Invisibility, Counterspell, whatever else you like (Magic Missile, Shatter, Suggestion, Web, Misty Step, Enhance Ability, Enlarge, Blindness, Slow, Haste, Aganazz's Scorcher, Pyrotechnics, Dust Devil...).
Pick up Quickened and Careful metamagics.

Tactics
- Nova single-target damage: Agonizing Blast + Quickened Agonizing Blast.
- Sustained pure damage: Hex + Agonizing Blast.
- Resilient damage: Greater Invisibility + Agonizing Blast.
- Sustained control damage: Careful Plant Growth then Agonizing Repelling Blast / Thorns Whip to push / pull enemies. You can also work with pals so then Grapple/Push them into a group before moving away at the moment you unleash a Fireball (Careful would still hurt them unless they all have Evasion or Shield Master). If your Ranger pal knows Spike Growth, you could also push enemies away and into it for additional damage.
- Opening control: Careful Stinking Cloud

Options
1. Optionally, pick your starts to get at least 13 WIS, drop a level of Sorcerer to get a level of Life Cleric to help with buffs and healing if needed, also grab heavy armor proficiency, with a Giant Belt to overcome the STR requirement. You lose an ASI but can help people survive (if Bard would be "too late" for a Healing Words for example) and more importantly can buff everyone on the front with Bless.
More generally, if you want to be a "buffer", you may consider Extended or Twin Metamagic instead of Careful.

2. Or forego 2 levels somewhere to grab 2 levels of Fighter for some Action Surge nova. The best if dealing great opening damage is your priority. With Warlock, each short rest you could begin a fight with a double +CHA Fireball. If you want to be an AOE blaster primarily, you may consider getting Distant and Empowered metamagics instead of the other ones, with the Alert feat.

3. Or forego 2 levels somewhere to get some powerful melee option if needed by going back to your roots (2 levels of Paladin) but that's the lesser option unless you want to keep some versatility (healing/buff with Bless and Cure Wounds, good defense with medium/heavy armor + shield, melee damage with weapon cantrip+smite).

Khrysaes
2017-05-27, 06:48 AM
You got a lot going on here and lots of players in melee.

I see the witcher and that helps me out envisioning what you want.

Paladin 6 is a huge upgrade of the paladin with that aura of protection

Now if you multiclass into a caster you will need war caster with a shield for those arcane spells

But you could also just go with 2 paladin and get the ability to smite and still wear heavy armor.

What exactly do you want out of warlock?

I am in the process of figuring that part out.

Invocations wise, really the determining factor:
Agonizing blast, Repelling blast, Cursebringer if i don't take paladin, though this is less important, Devil's sight(also less important), Frost Lance, if I can convince the DM to allow it on a hex blade, or convert it to cold damage, and take sea sorcerer(Raven queen is a patron of winter, so it would fit). Detect magic at will. I also like green lord's gift, but again that is Fey, I may be able to convince the DM to allow it for the witcher's increased healing capacity.

I would say those are the order of priority? If I only take 2-4 warlock, it is pretty easy. If I wanted Cursebringer i need at least 5, if I want devil's sight or frost lance, I would need 7 - 9, all of them would require 12.

The problem is overlapping capabilities.

For example: I like the hill dwarf, as the race for this. It gets dark vision, poison resistance(fits the witcher resistance), an artisan tool proficiency(it has a list, but i could probably convince DM to allow alchemist tools to fit in with the witcher's aspect), and the bonus health witch aligns with the witcher's toughness. No str requirement to avoid the penalty with heavy armor.

overlapping darkvision from race/class may be a pro because I can then choose to avoid it in the class.

Cons, no + to charisma. proficiencies with the weapons is overlapping. Darkvision overlap with shadow sorc(current plan), and devil's sight(possible choice). and both of those are better.

Half elf: Pro: +2 charisma and +1 to two other stats. +2 skills. +Sleep immunity and charm resistance.
Con: Darkvision overlap with shadow sorc(current plan), and devil's sight(possible choice). and both of those are better.

V.Human: Pro: Feat, +1 to two abilities. +1 skill. Doesn't have overlapping dark vision.
Con: Helves get +2 charisma, sleep immunity, charm resistance, darkvsion, and another skill. That is actually better than a feat, just less versatile.

Others: ???

Paladin: Pro: Divine Health(fits witcher theme), +Cha to saves, Ancient spell resistance.(Both fit theme and are mechanically awesome.) Extra attack probably wouldn't get as much use, though it could. Spell choices. Smite. Fighting style.

Con: Extra attack may not get much use. Smite overlaps with cursebringer, and while harder to resist, does less damage and doesn't reduce enemy speed to 0. Half spell progression. Requires 6-8 levels for the features I want.

Cleric: pro: Life domain for heavy armor proficiency, cure wounds, and a boost to healing with it. Full spell casting. Extra cantrips. Can get this with only 1 level dip.

Con: Doesn't get paladin saves, or resistances.

Fighter: Pro: Con save proficiency, heavy armor proficiency, fighting style. Level 7 eldritch knight can weapon attack combined with a cantrip, although this doesn't work very well with extra attack. Action surge. Eldritch knight doesnt lose as much spell casting progression as a non EK fighter.

Cons: 7 paladin is better, but it doesnt get cantrips.

others: ???

All i know is that some combination of Warlock/sorc is most likely. and that I want a ranged capabable gish. With eldritch blast that is easily possible.

Also of note: Earlier i mentioned 2 Lore wizard/2 undying light warlock/6 Draconic sorcerer getting +15 cha to damage per EB hit. Well 2/2/1 Sea sorcerer, gets only +5, but can knock back 25ft per hit & lower speed 15ft per hit. so -60 speed and pushed 100ft. Most things wont get close to you :).

djreynolds
2017-05-27, 07:01 AM
Grab 8 paladin as your base, 2 ASI. Half-elf is better. 2 auras

You could grab 2 warlock now and get repelling blast and agonizing blast, your spells here will replenish on a short rest.

And go sorcerer the rest of the way. You will lose out on an ASI

Khrysaes
2017-05-27, 07:39 AM
Grab 8 paladin as your base, 2 ASI. Half-elf is better. 2 auras

You could grab 2 warlock now and get repelling blast and agonizing blast, your spells here will replenish on a short rest.

And go sorcerer the rest of the way. You will lose out on an ASI

This is what I was thinking, though without the dwarf I need to get str in there for the heavy armor.

I was thinking 4 warlock/8 sorcerer, instead of 2/10. I lose a metamagic, 2 sorcery points and a 7th level slot.(not that I would know w 7th level spell, but I could up cast.

I gain that missing ASI, 4 cantrips, and warlock spell slots become second level.

djreynolds
2017-05-28, 03:23 AM
Do you really need heavy armor?

I think draconic armor/mage armor, decent dex 14-16, and the shield spell in fine

And you have misty step there also

Also I see no rogue in the party and if you are focusing on BB/GFB... a splash of rogue could go miles.

Here me out, this way you only need dex and chr and some con. And now you add all that SA damage, on top of BB/GFB and can smite with hexblade. And cunning action gives you are reliable use of your bonus action as well.

You could go with rogue instead of paladin, uncanny dodge at 5th level will help out with damage when you know the shield spell will not help you, especially with critical hits by the enemy.

And swashbuckler would increase your initiative as well, for 5 levels you would get an extra 3d6 of damage.

Go half-elf 4 sorcerer, 5 rogue, 4 hexblade
8/16/16/10/10/15---- 8/18/16/10/10/19

you can fiddled around with the stats, at least 17AC, shield spell is 22AC

Khrysaes
2017-05-28, 07:14 AM
Do you really need heavy armor?

I think draconic armor/mage armor, decent dex 14-16, and the shield spell in fine

And you have misty step there also

Also I see no rogue in the party and if you are focusing on BB/GFB... a splash of rogue could go miles.

Here me out, this way you only need dex and chr and some con. And now you add all that SA damage, on top of BB/GFB and can smite with hexblade. And cunning action gives you are reliable use of your bonus action as well.

You could go with rogue instead of paladin, uncanny dodge at 5th level will help out with damage when you know the shield spell will not help you, especially with critical hits by the enemy.

And swashbuckler would increase your initiative as well, for 5 levels you would get an extra 3d6 of damage.

Go half-elf 4 sorcerer, 5 rogue, 4 hexblade
8/16/16/10/10/15---- 8/18/16/10/10/19

you can fiddled around with the stats, at least 17AC, shield spell is 22AC

I don't actually know if I need heavy armor.

A fullplate gives me 18 AC.

Shield 2.

so 20 AC not counting magic, and maybe defense fighting style(its that or dueling).

A stone sorcerer, if my DM allows it, would be max of 17. but I need to up my con to 20.

With a h.elf, I could start with 17 cha, and 16 con.. it would still take 4 ASI to be one worse than heavy armor. and max my cha, alternatively there is barbarian, which can get a max of 20 without a shield, and with Helf I can start with 16 no problems. though, so can stone sorcerer. And a half plate is a max of 16 without the feat, which raises it to 17.

THe point is, heavy armor is easy to get since I am starting at level 13, AND I like the paladin aura of protection. I really like the paladin aura of protection and warding, different spell types, smite, heavy armor, extra attack, fighting style, etc.. If I can stop being hung up on those, many other optons are available to both get heavy armor(life cleric), or get smite(cursebringer). But the aura of protection and warding keep drawing me to paladin.

Brendanicus
2017-05-28, 08:34 AM
Barbarian 12/Wizard 1. Secretly always wanted to be a wizard instead of a warrior, and becomes infuriated if you disparage his spellcasting.

djreynolds
2017-05-29, 01:11 AM
I don't actually know if I need heavy armor.

A fullplate gives me 18 AC.

Shield 2.

so 20 AC not counting magic, and maybe defense fighting style(its that or dueling).

A stone sorcerer, if my DM allows it, would be max of 17. but I need to up my con to 20.

With a h.elf, I could start with 17 cha, and 16 con.. it would still take 4 ASI to be one worse than heavy armor. and max my cha, alternatively there is barbarian, which can get a max of 20 without a shield, and with Helf I can start with 16 no problems. though, so can stone sorcerer. And a half plate is a max of 16 without the feat, which raises it to 17.

THe point is, heavy armor is easy to get since I am starting at level 13, AND I like the paladin aura of protection. I really like the paladin aura of protection and warding, different spell types, smite, heavy armor, extra attack, fighting style, etc.. If I can stop being hung up on those, many other optons are available to both get heavy armor(life cleric), or get smite(cursebringer). But the aura of protection and warding keep drawing me to paladin.

I gotta say I'm hooked, I would love to see what your build is. 13th level is such a power point for a character.

Access to 6th/7th level spells
cantrips are 3dx
Most builds will have 3ASI and maxed attack/spell stat
+5 proficiency

Paladin is awesome, I like warlock and sorcerer. I love rogue and wizard

The thing is with BB/GFB that extra attack seems wasted... but not really. You may not always need to use them.

Go for paladin 8..... everything else is gravy. I would then get 4 sorcerer and grab the shield spell and cantrips you want.

(3ASI/FEATS)Max out charisma and grab war caster. Aura of protection will cover your con saves. Go S&B.

The at 13th grab warlock and get EB.

Devils sight and darkness is fun until your friends can't do anything either

Lombra
2017-05-29, 01:43 AM
Play straight paladin? Sounds like it's what you want, because heavy armor will be of no use if you want to stay at distance, at level 13 every class is powerful, plus you'll most likely get cool magic items. Ask your DM if GW fighting style applies to smite die, or decide if you prefer to use a shield, yo'll have good saves, good damage and good HP. In my experience AC doesn't really matter, critical hits will hit you regardless of your AC, so advantage and disadvantage are the real thing that you have to worry about (aka positioning yourself in the battlefield)

Khrysaes
2017-05-29, 07:09 AM
I gotta say I'm hooked, I would love to see what your build is. 13th level is such a power point for a character.

Access to 6th/7th level spells
cantrips are 3dx
Most builds will have 3ASI and maxed attack/spell stat
+5 proficiency

Paladin is awesome, I like warlock and sorcerer. I love rogue and wizard

The thing is with BB/GFB that extra attack seems wasted... but not really. You may not always need to use them.

Go for paladin 8..... everything else is gravy. I would then get 4 sorcerer and grab the shield spell and cantrips you want.

(3ASI/FEATS)Max out charisma and grab war caster. Aura of protection will cover your con saves. Go S&B.

The at 13th grab warlock and get EB.

Devils sight and darkness is fun until your friends can't do anything either

I ended up going 8 Paladin, 4 Warlock, 1 Sorcerer.

The Idea is still Witcher based, so I tried to select spells and cantrips that would and could mechanically represent the Signs that a Witcher could use.

And I tried to chose the subclasses for Warlock and Sorcerer that would better represent that.

So I made an Ancient Paladin 8.

Undying light Warlock 4.

Sea Sorcerer 1.

They had to be approved by the DM, and were.

I have 12 Cantrips, and will get up to 13.
From Undying Light Warlock: Light, Sacred Flame
From warlock 4 I chose: Booming Blade, Minor Illusion, Eldritch Blast.
From Tome Pact I chose: Thorn Whip, Guidance, Vicious Mockery.

For Sorcerer I chose: Fire Bolt, Lightning Lure, Ray of Frost, Green Flame Blade.

Undying light Warlock gets me resistance to radiant damage, and I can apply my Charisma bonus to Fire AND Radiant spells. Radiant spells such as divine favor, which will now add 1d4+5 to my melee attacks.
It also nets me burning hands and flaming sphere.

From Sea Sorcerer I get a bonus effect one different types of spells, and they can serve to work as the effects of the signs. You can only choose 1 effect per round

Cold spells: Slow an additional 15 ft
Lighting Spells: Add Cha to damage
Moving spells(like thorn whip, lightning lure, thunderwave, and repelling blast): move an additional 15ft.

So if you have been keeping track, that is charisma to Fire, Radiant, and Lightning spells, in addition to agonizing blast.

The spells I chose, and I only get access to 2nd level warlock and paladin, no 2nd or higher sorcerer yet,

Hex, Armor of Agathys, Charm Person. Burning Hands for free.

Shield, Thunderwave.

Paladin Prepared Spells
Ensaring Strike, Speak With Animals, Bless, Command, Cure Wounds, Divine Favor, Detect Magic, Shield of Faith, Heroism.

2nd level:
Mirror Image, Hold Person, Flaming Sphere

Paladin Prepared Spells:

Misty Step, Moonbeam, Lesser Restoration, Aid.

And I have 2 3rd level spell slots to up cast or smite with.

I chose Half Elf with 8, 15, 15, 8, 8, 15. So my stats are 8, 16, 16, 8, 8, 17.
Then I used my ASI for:
+2 Charisma.
Diplomat Feat(after DM approval), which gives +1 charisma, expertise in Persuasion, and Charm at will based on Persuasion(my modifier is +15).
and War Caster.
I then used my 3 Uncommon Items on: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, bringing Str to 19, a +1 Shield, and a cloak of Protection, which is +1 ac and +1 saves.
My Rare Item is a Dragon Slayer Longsword, which is +1, and 3d6 extra damage to dragons.
In Tyranny of Dragons Campaign.
He also had us Roll for starting gold, at 5000+(250*d10). I rolled a 9 in front of him, so i started with 7250 gp. I bought a full plate.

I am proficient in Athletics, Deception, Insight, Perception, Persuasion*2, and Stealth, Thieves tools, Common, Elvish, Draconic, and Gwent(because of course im proficient in gwent and not three dragon ante.)

So I am good in melee, have incredible resistances and defenses(with aura of protection and warding), and a slew of cantrips and low level spells or abilities to work as my signs.

Igni: Greenflame blade/Sacred Flame/Burning Hands/Fire Bolt
Quen: Shield/Armor of agathys
Aard: Repelling blast/Thunderwave
Yrden: Ray of frost with Sea Sorcerer/Repelling blast/Booming Blade/Hold Person
Axii: Charm person/ Hold Person /Diplomat feat/Suggestion/Command
Heliotrop: Armor of Agathys/Ancient Paladin level 7

Witcher Sight: Detect Magic/Darkvision race

What I plan in the future:
either 8 sorcerer for the last ASI, or 5 warlock/7 sorcerer losing that last ASI, but gaining another invocation. This depends on if I could convince the DM to allow me to take either Frost Lance, or Green Lord's gift invocations that normally require the Fey Patron. They can represent Yrden and a Witcher's hightened regenerative abilities respectively.

I don't know what to take for feats. Shield master maybe.. ritual caster? Inspiring Leader maybe?