PDA

View Full Version : Optimization how to be an undead controlling god

Baby Gary
2017-05-25, 10:55 AM
the title says it all, I am a 6th level cleric, to be prosice 1-4 cloistered cleric, 5-7 ordained champion, 8-15 or 17 bone knight, i not quite sure what to do for the last couple levels. what feats, magic items, anything should I do to be able to control a crap ton of undead at 9th level (this is when I get bone march from bone knight)

Thanks!

Fouredged Sword
2017-05-25, 02:16 PM
Ok, you should be aware of the THREE different ways you can control undead. First you have your control pool. This can't really be expanded outside increasing your HD and spellcaster levels and a rod of undead mastery.

The second way is rebuke. Rebuke can control any undead of half your HD and you can control up to your HD in undead using this method. The trick here is that you can reduce the effective HD of the creature you are rebuking to control stronger creatures than you could normally control. With other rebukes than undead this is best done though negative levels. With undead you have to do weird things like force them to hold holy darts or other weird weapons to give them negative levels despite their immunity to negative energy.

The third method is denied to you unless you have the ability to add Command Undead to your spell list and if you can you should. Chain command undead controls up to your CL of undead for CL days without HD limits. A slaymate and metamagic rod of chain means this can be done with 2nd level spell slots. You get CL undead for 2xCL days per 2nd level spell slot used. You can control 1000's.

Rebuke is for a small subset of valuable undead you cannot make and need, like a slaymate.

Control pool is for a set of undead you can make that you need to be able to ignore for long periods, like those that guard your base.

Command undead is for all other mindless undead that you can afford to interact with at least once every month or so with extended chain command undead.

ATHATH
2017-05-25, 03:14 PM
Rebuke can control any undead of half your HD effective Cleric level for Rebuking
Fixed that for you.

May I recommend going into the Paragnostic Apostle PrC? If you take the Turn/Rebuke Undead-boosting option every other level, you can effectively have double the Turn/Rebuke Undead progression while you take PA levels (or levels in Legacy Champion or its ilk).

Dipping Doomspeaker (Doomdreamer? I forget) can get you something really good in terms of Turn/Rebuke Undead. I think it doubles something- I don't remember what, though.

Quertus
2017-05-25, 04:02 PM
Control pool is for a set of undead you can make that you need to be able to ignore for long periods, like those that guard your base.

Don't forget that mindless undead, when released from your control, will simply continue following the last order they were given. So, never discount the infinite-sized "Uncontrolled' pool.

And this is why being able to cast Animate Dead for free is very valuable.

Baby Gary
2017-05-25, 05:16 PM
Dipping Doomspeaker (Doomdreamer? I forget) can get you something really good in terms of Turn/Rebuke Undead. I think it doubles something- I don't remember what, though.

One problem I have to have at least 20 int if I want that ability (btw its doomdreamer, from return to the temple of elemental evil, pg 162). I think I might dip when my int is high enough