PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Starting musical instruments

ZorroGames
2017-05-25, 12:00 PM
Entertainer background (PHB page 130) gets one.

Monks get an optional one under tools (page 27 PHB.)

So, a monk with a background of entertainer might start with two musical instruments- say flute and pan flute - that could be woven into role play?

nickl_2000
2017-05-25, 12:05 PM
Entertainer background (PHB page 130) gets one.

Monks get an optional one under tools (page 27 PHB.)

So, a monk with a background of entertainer might start with two musical instruments- say flute and pan flute - that could be woven into role play?

Monk and Entertainer both start out with Proficiency in a musical instrument not the instrument itself. If you were Monk entertainer, you would be able to be proficient with a Flute and Pan Flute. Equipment as standard for your background and class would only give you 1 actual instrument and you would need to buy the other one after getting some money.

ZorroGames
2017-05-25, 12:11 PM
Monk and Entertainer both start out with Proficiency in a musical instrument not the instrument itself. If you were Monk entertainer, you would be able to be proficient with a Flute and Pan Flute. Equipment as standard for your background and class would only give you 1 actual instrument and you would need to buy the other one after getting some money.

Page 77 under tools under proficiencies says "Choose one type of artisan's tools or one musical instrument" but because it was not under Equipment I assumed it was a proficiency but because it was under tools I was unsure.

Entertainer actually it under "proficiency, tools" and equipment so that was clearer.

Thanks.

nickl_2000
2017-05-25, 12:13 PM
Page 77 under tools under proficiencies says "Choose one type of artisan's tools or one musical instrument" but because it was not under Equipment I assumed it was a proficiency but because it was under tools I was unsure.
Thanks.

Correct, since it isn't listed under Equipment you don't get one.

DivisibleByZero
2017-05-25, 12:17 PM
Skin flute.
Weave that one into role play while you're walking around introducing yourself to everyone in the neighborhood because you're legally required to.

nickl_2000
2017-05-25, 12:19 PM
Skin flute.
Weave that one into role play while you're walking around introducing yourself to everyone in the neighborhood because you're legally required to.

Previously I've been interested in playing in one of the games you DM DBZ. Based on this comment, I believe I will now pass.

DivisibleByZero
2017-05-25, 12:23 PM
Previously I've been interested in playing in one of the games you DM DBZ. Based on this comment, I believe I will now pass.

LOL!
I don't play online, so unless you're willing to come to Chicago....

Temperjoke
2017-05-25, 12:24 PM
To be honest, someone who is proficient in a music instrument because of their background should really be given at least a basic version of what their proficient in. Nothing fancy, no magic to it or anything, but like a basic wooden flute for example if you chose flute proficiency. I know it's not RAW, or even RAI, but I wouldn't see a problem with it, unless the player made it a problem.

ZorroGames
2017-05-25, 12:31 PM
To be honest, someone who is proficient in a music instrument because of their background should really be given at least a basic version of what their proficient in. Nothing fancy, no magic to it or anything, but like a basic wooden flute for example if you chose flute proficiency. I know it's not RAW, or even RAI, but I wouldn't see a problem with it, unless the player made it a problem.

Just wondered how best to role play it.

Since they were given a set of bone pipes (trinket item 75 on page 161) by an enamored follower who a quirky sense of humor as a starting item (page 130 under starting equipment) I decided that music should be woven into the role play element

nickl_2000
2017-05-25, 12:36 PM

Since they were given a set of bone pipes (trinket item 75 on page 161) by an enamored follower who a quirky sense of humor as a starting item (page 130 under starting equipment) I decided that music should be woven into the role play element

RAW is that you don't have it. RAF seem fine to give you some cheap instrument, having an instrument can be written into a back story and doesn't make a very large difference in a campaign.

Temperjoke
2017-05-25, 12:43 PM

Well, if your character is a monk, it could be used as part of meditation, you could use them and perform as a busker while traveling.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-05-25, 01:13 PM
If I was DMing this game I'd probably just let you start with both since there's no real mechanical benefit to doing so. Plus I'd want to encourage players to find uses for musical instruments. Maybe just ask your DM if you can have two

ZorroGames
2017-05-25, 01:27 PM
If I was DMing this game I'd probably just let you start with both since there's no real mechanical benefit to doing so. Plus I'd want to encourage players to find uses for musical instruments. Maybe just ask your DM if you can have two
Just started with another character in an AL game at a FLGS (long time since I could honestly say that) - another thread exists on that - so after that one gets up a level or two I may try this one. They seemed pretty liberal on non-stat/spell/mechanical aspects at the first session.

EvilAnagram
2017-05-26, 09:14 AM
It's always lutes, flutes, and lyres.* why does no one pick proficiency in spoons?

*Awesome D&D band name.

nickl_2000
2017-05-26, 09:17 AM
It's always lutes, flutes, and lyres.* why does no one pick proficiency in spoons?

*Awesome D&D band name.

My PC from a modified Pathfinder to 5e campaign has proficiency playing the Kalimba, is that close enough?

MrStabby
2017-05-26, 09:27 AM

*Awesome D&D band name.

Odd.

I find its always bagpipes.

JAL_1138
2017-05-26, 09:37 AM
Just started with another character in an AL game at a FLGS (long time since I could honestly say that) - another thread exists on that - so after that one gets up a level or two I may try this one. They seemed pretty liberal on non-stat/spell/mechanical aspects at the first session.

Technically AL specifies that you only get the starting gear from your class and background; it's not officially kosher to have any equipment, instrument, or tool in excess of the starting gear package when you first begin play. However, backgrounds grant you a small amount of starting gold, and equipment you don't want to use can be sold for half it's listed value (round down, IIRC). You could use that to buy an inexpensive instrument, and you're practically guaranteed to get enough gold in your first session to buy another one.

ZorroGames
2017-05-26, 09:39 AM

Page 130 of PHB under entertainer background says you get as equipment an instrument of your choice. You start with instrument #1. Seems pretty clear to me. RAW.

It also says under equipment you get a favor of an admirer which can be a trinket. On page 161 there is item 75 "A set of Bone Pipes." At first, being a beader by hobby I thought of Amerindian pipe beads but research showed there are musical instruments ("pipes") of bone so depending of if the DM agrees you would have (not necessarily musically great unless you mastered it) a possibly playable trinket aka a musical instrument. Not necessarily a great musical instrument but a playable trinket initially just for role play color.

I would argue the entertainer background gives you a flute (seems monkish) and the "playable" trinket would inspire the character to buy ASAP a pan flute. I can see reversing that order too.

You have one serious musical instrument and possibly a really bad (or not) musical trinket. I am thinking bubble gum dispenser type bad tone - all the more reason to spend some of your staring gold on a flute (2 GP) and choose the pan flute (12 GP) as part of the RAW equipment from your entertainer background.

nickl_2000
2017-05-26, 09:49 AM
It also says under equipment you get a favor of an admirer which can be a trinket. On page 161 there is item 75 "A set of Bone Pipes." At first, being a beader by hobby I thought of Amerindian pipe beads but research showed there are musical instruments ("pipes") of bone so depending of if the DM agrees you would have (not necessarily musically great unless you mastered it) a possibly playable trinket aka a musical instrument. Not necessarily a great musical instrument but a playable trinket initially just for role play color.

I would argue the entertainer background gives you a flute (seems monkish) and the "playable" trinket would inspire the character to buy ASAP a pan flute. I can see reversing that order too.

You have one serious musical instrument and possibly a really bad (or not) musical trinket. I am thinking bubble gum dispenser type bad tone - all the more reason to spend some of your staring gold on a flute (2 GP) and choose the pan flute (12 GP) as part of the RAW equipment from your entertainer background.

I wouldn't think twice about a player doing this, even if it's illegal (which it seems to be 100% correct with RAW rulings) it gives you absolutely nothing as a true bonus in game. It gives you solely a RP bonus, which I think everyone will allow.

ZorroGames
2017-05-26, 10:17 AM
I wouldn't think twice about a player doing this, even if it's illegal (which it seems to be 100% correct with RAW rulings) it gives you absolutely nothing as a true bonus in game. It gives you solely a RP bonus, which I think everyone will allow.

Well, I have started with a Mountain Dwarf Monk with a Sage (Astronomer) background in my first adventure so I am prone to take less than optimum characters with fun role play elements

The Entrtainer background Monk [Wood Elf ST 10, DE 16, CO 12, IN 8, WI 16, CH 13 with point buy and racial bonuses] with a back story of turning away from entertainer after his group broke up dramatically as they just started to be successful to the Monk lifestyle would be a fun Role Play character. Shying away from the limelight but still having dreams of making music to please others could be a hook for DM creativeness.

EvilAnagram
2017-05-26, 10:44 AM
My PC from a modified Pathfinder to 5e campaign has proficiency playing the Kalimba, is that close enough?

I'm gonna be honest, I have no idea how close a kalimba is to spoons.

N810
2017-05-26, 11:03 AM
I wonder why no one ever picks an alpenhorn
or a Wheelharp ?

JAL_1138
2017-05-26, 12:43 PM
I wonder why no one ever picks an alpenhorn
or a Wheelharp ?

Not on the equipment list, in 5e.

Bagpipes, drum, dulcimer, flute, lute, lyre, horn, pan-flute, shawm, and viol are the only ones in the Tools list.