PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Gypsy/Fortune Teller style build

Silex
2017-05-25, 12:44 PM
I need a build for a Gypsy/Fortune Teller for my players to rescue. Someone crafty, who can glimpse the future.

I need it for my game tomorrow night (5/26/17), and still have a ton of other work to finish up to be prepared.

I need a full build (spells and all), up to 10th level.

Ideally, I'd like it to be a spontaneous caster, but if that can't be done viably, I can refluff a spellbook or the like to the use of a crystal ball, tarot cards, etc.

So once again, I turn to the playground community!

Banned books: ToM, ToB, Dragon Magic and Promote. Official WotC material only.

As always, any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

GilesTheCleric
2017-05-25, 12:48 PM
A spontaneous Cleric or Favoured Soul could easily fit the bill, but you might consider doing some houseruling for the Sybil PrC (SS 91). It gets divination abilities a limited number of times per day/ week, and otherwise doesn't have much going for it (just DC increases), so it should be pretty fool-proof if your players try to get the NPC to do something you'd rather not. Clearly it's a PrC so you'd have to houserule that your NPC could take it starting at level 1, but it seems fine to me.

Gildedragon
2017-05-25, 12:54 PM
NPC? We can have a but fun here

I'd go sorcerer, dip into Divine Oracle for the oracle domain, focus skillpoints into sleight of hand, bluff, and perform (Possibly using feats to get those)

Silex
2017-05-25, 01:01 PM
What are everyone's thoughts on possibly using something like a savage bard as the base chassis, or maybe as a dip?

Gypsies are commonly nomadic travelers, who can spin great tales and tend to know a bit about many legends and lore.

Thoughts?

Still need full build breakdowns as well :)

Gildedragon
2017-05-25, 01:07 PM
Bard was my first instinct. But they don't get most of the fortune-telly spells
Some BG on this fortune teller being rescued?

Afgncaap5
2017-05-25, 01:20 PM
I think Bard actually fits pretty well. A good Fortune Teller needs spells, sure, but you also need social capability since the iconic fortune teller is adept at reading people. Sense Motive as a skill is, if not crucial, at least worth building toward. A bard that can figure out how to handle non-class divination or cursing spells (Augury comes to mind) would be sitting very well.

Incidentally, there was actually an early Dragonshards article (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ebds/20040823a) that described the possible professions of a lot of Magewrights in the Eberron setting, showing how they could be used to flesh out the world, and one of them was an Augur who picked up a number of low-level divination spells. It's not really a great build for a PC to use, of course, but it might be a good starting guide in a "PC Must be able to do X" sense.

Silex
2017-05-25, 01:23 PM
Bard was my first instinct. But they don't get most of the fortune-telly spells
Some BG on this fortune teller being rescued?

The gypsy was travelling on a ship. Rough weather and a dangerous reef shipwrecked her a hidden island, inhabited by a covey of powerful hags, and their minions. The hags and ogres killed everyone on the ship, save for the gypsy, feeling that her powers could be beneficial to them.

They have kept her captive for 5 years, using her to warn them of impending danger and the like.

The PCs happen upon this island, and as a reward for saving her from the hags, the gypsy tells the PCs their fortune.

This is merely to glimpse the future; it is a tactic in which to foreshadow a few things, and to seed paranoia amongst my players.

I should mention, that this NPC is for the opening adventure leading into a horror campaign.

Gildedragon
2017-05-25, 01:44 PM
Sorcerer 5 into Divine Oracle 3 into Fatespinner 2 or Prestige Bard 2

Flaws: Non combatant, Restricted Sorcery (Evocation and Necromancy)

1: Identify
2: Augury, Locate Object,
3: Scrying, Alter Fortune
4: Divination, Bestow Curse

Silex
2017-05-25, 02:18 PM
Sorcerer 5 into Divine Oracle 3 into Fatespinner 2 or Prestige Bard 2

Flaws: Non combatant, Restricted Sorcery (Evocation and Necromancy)

What are your thoughts on using a bard as the chassis?

You did say it was your initial thought.

If so, what acf would you use, if any? I am looking to encompass the while of a stereotypical gypsy; performance of song and dance, craft and cunning, wonderful storyteller as well as reading fortunes.

Just trying to explore all angles and get the most flavor and accuracy as I can.

So it would look more like bard 5/ divine Oracle 3/ fatespinner 2

What do you think?

Gildedragon
2017-05-25, 02:21 PM
What are your thoughts on using a bard as the chassis?

You did say it was your initial thought.

If so, what acf would you use, if any? I am looking to encompass the while of a stereotypical gypsy; performance of song and dance, craft and cunning, wonderful storyteller as well as reading fortunes.

Just trying to explore all angles and get the most flavor and accuracy as I can.

So it would look more like bard 5/ divine Oracle 3/ fatespinner 2

What do you think?

Bard can work. Your strongest spell will be Divination... And they don't get Bestow Curse

Waker
2017-05-25, 02:23 PM
How about Bardic Sage from UA? Plenty of skill points (letting them fake fortune telling if they are being coerced), divination spells and bonus Bardic knowledge. Going Divine Oracle works.

Silex
2017-05-25, 03:06 PM
Bard can work. Your strongest spell will be Divination... And they don't get Bestow Curse

Wouldn't be able to anyway, if I were to take the Restricted Sorcery flaw with necromancy as a chosen school

atemu1234
2017-06-01, 06:01 PM
I'd go for a couple levels of battle dancer and then bard. Seems thematically appropriate.