PDA

View Full Version : Forcibly end / prolong enemy's Wild Shape?

Shark Uppercut
2017-05-25, 02:17 PM
So in my Pathfinder Epic10 campaign world, many of the antagonists are druids who work for a corrupt government. As you'd expect, they often use Wild Shape to spy on their enemies in the guise of dogs, cats, horses and birds.
The party is connected to La Résistance.
At a certain point, they'll probably try to capture a wildshaped druid. If not, then other NPC freedom fighters will and the party will have to deal with the aftermath.

So, 1) are there any poisons / class features / spells / magic items / other that can force someone out of a polymorph-type spell into their base form?
1b) Is Wild Shape dispellable, like the spell it emulates?

2) Are there ways to force someone to be unable to dismiss their polymorph spell until the duration runs out, possibly even forcing the duration to be extended? (Other than knocking them out)

3) How would you adjudicate someone polymorphed into shape smaller than Medium, confined in an area too small to hold their normal shape, when the spell runs out? e.g.
Bird in a straw birdcage. Burst the straw, probably.
Dog in a wooden crate. Burst the crate? Strength check? Take some damage?
Bird in an iron birdcage. Take a lot of damage? Strength check? Fort save for squishy death?

I prefer PF material, but I'll take 3.5 because it can be easily adapted.

Matrota
2017-05-25, 02:32 PM
The 3.5 prestige class Church Inquisitor gains the ability to force a creature into their natural form.

lbuttitta
2017-05-25, 05:27 PM
I believe moonbeam (SC) causes transformed creatures to take natural form. There is true seeing, also, but that only detects the creature, it doesn't transform back.
As for the cage question, I would treat it like the animal growth (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/animalGrowth.htm) spell:

If insufficient room is available for the desired growth, the creature attains the maximum possible size and may make a Strength check (using its increased Strength) to burst any enclosures in the process.
So, if the creature isn't big enough to fit, then when the wild shape ends, leaving them trapped, partially transformed, until adequate space is provided.

Mr Adventurer
2017-05-25, 09:08 PM
Eberron sourcebooks will have anti-shapechanger stuff, since Changelings originate there.

Psyren
2017-05-25, 10:04 PM
The nuclear option is antimagic - Wild Shape is supernatural, so it won't work if you turn off the juice. This has the added side benefit of shutting off the captured druid's spellcasting and magic items too. 3.5 has antimagic shackles (BoED) as a long-term means of achieving this.

Naez
2017-05-25, 10:13 PM
Shifter's sorrow. In the PFSRD. +1/+1 Silver double sword, deals extra damage to shapechangers and anything not in its true form must make a save or turn back.

Shark Uppercut
2017-05-25, 11:12 PM
Force Shapechange (Su): A church inquisitor of 6th level or higher can force a creature into its natural form. The church inquisitor must make a successful melee touch attack against the creature. If the attack is successful, the church inquisitor makes a caster level check as if casting dispel magic against the shapechanging effect. The church inquisitor’s +4 bonus on dispel checks (the Inquisition domain granted power) applies to this check. This ability undoes the effect of alter self, polymorph, shapechange, and alternate form abilities, whether exceptional, spell-like, or supernatural in nature. The affected creature cannot change its shape again for 1d6 rounds. The church inquisitor can use this ability at will.

That's a good baseline for what a lvl11 could pull off for an at-will, so maybe it'd be appropriate for a lvl7 with daily uses, or a lvl5 using it 1/day.

Moonbeam only affects lycanthropes, unfortunately.

Didn't find anything in Eberron Campaign Setting, Races of Eberron, Player's Guide to Eberron or Magic of Eberron.

The nuclear option is antimagic - Wild Shape is supernatural, so it won't work if you turn off the juice. This has the added side benefit of shutting off the captured druid's spellcasting and magic items too. 3.5 has antimagic shackles (BoED) as a long-term means of achieving this.
True. In an E10 game, only dragons will be in a position to do that though.
The fact that anti-mage shackles haven't been ported to PF is disappointing, they were a guaranteed way to keep casters in line. But I don't know if revolutionaries would have a 132,000g item around.

Shifter's sorrow. In the PFSRD. +1/+1 Silver double sword, deals extra damage to shapechangers and anything not in its true form must make a save or turn back.
Paydirt! If I understand magic weapon rules, a +1/+1 costs twice as much as a +1, so an alternative Shifter's Sorrow Longsword +1 would cost just 6,390g. That's just the thing a rebel captain would have. The +2d6 damage also justifies some lvl2-3 guys beating down a druid that's at least lvl4.
It also adds some leverage for the werewolf plot that's currently happening.

So, if the creature isn't big enough to fit, then when the wild shape ends, leaving them trapped, partially transformed, until adequate space is provided.
I'm picturing two freedom fighters carrying a pole with a metal birdcage tied to the middle, with a horrible half-crow half-elf abomination trying to scream for help, but they're too cramped to draw breath so they just wheeze pathetically.
As long as they torment it enough to not recover spells and don't let it starve, it's stuck for good.

And if that seems dark, then I need to tell you about the evil splinter faction of revolutionaries. They capture druids in wildshape, knock them out, and cook and eat them before the wildshape expires. They keep saying they're not cannibals... technically. They probably worship Malar or something.

Psyren
2017-05-25, 11:44 PM
Add Merciful to that sword and they can just wail on the druid night and day.