PDA

View Full Version : Optimization 3.5 Gestalt Build - Soliciting Advice

flippantelf
2017-05-25, 02:37 PM
tl;dr: dwarf gestalt with a rune theme

So, I’m looking to make a Gestalt character for a campaign that a friend of mine is running, and I’d like to get some help from the boards in building the character. Here is the exposition:

I have to play a Dwarf, though just about any (and I mean any) variant dwarf would work (and which variant to play is definitely on the table).
Heavy powergaming is not necessary or desirable: tier 1 and tier 2 options are on the table (and maybe some cheese, but no breaking the game). I intend to powergame lightly to moderately.
All Wizards books are allowed, Pathfinder fighter is allowed, Dragon magazine and other Pathfinder things subject to approval. Homebrew stuff and house rules are out.
We’re using fractional base attack and save calculations.
The build should be designed to play through from level one up to 20+.
I don’t want to abuse free feats, but I’ll listen to suggestions on that point.

The concept I’m working around is runes. This dwarf is a scholar exploring the power of dwarven (and other) runes. Playstyle and main party role should be support/protection and utility. Here’s the proto-build so far:

Side 1:

Wizard (abjurer, generalist, or some variant) makes the most sense as a starting point for the build (though I’m all ears for other suggestions), and I’ve been considering which prestige classes would best complement the theme. The least powerful I’ve looked at is Geometer (I really like the flavor of 1 spell-per-page spellbooks and glyphs), but I acknowledge that the class is not nearly as good as some others. I am also debating between Runesmith and Abjurant Champion: casting in armor is very dwarfy, but I think Abjurant Champion is mostly just better. Finally, I’m thinking of taking Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil, but re-flavoring the prismatic colors as different runes of power instead. Other suggestions welcome.

Side 2 ideas:

Full caster: Archivist, Intelligence Cleric (w/feat), Artificer
Pros:

Spell Versatility
Enhanced party support
Higher level spell combos

Cons:

Poor chassis (BAB, Saves, HD)
Action overabundance/lack of passive
Possibly few skill points

Archivist complements the scholarly flavor of the character with practical abilities, Geometer abilities should work with the class, and Abjurant Champion abilities should apply to any abjurations from that class as well. Abjurant Champion would also work with Cleric, and Cleric contributes a better chassis to the build, but it’s thematically less appealing. Artificer is powerful, versatile, pretty dwarfy, and makes it easy to tie in rune flavor. The campaign premise has the PCs as a dwarven military squad, so there would be sufficient prep time for much of what we do to make the class worthwhile.

Gish: Fighter, Warblade, Duskblade, Carmedine monk
Pros:

Good chassis
Non-casting combat options

Cons:

Few skill points
Role confusion
Slightly MAD

These classes are appealing both thematically (I’m a member of a dwarven special forces unit) and practically to have better non-casting options. These also create a better chassis for the build, though less versatile than the full caster. The main disadvantage is not so much a disadvantage as it is that the main focus of the build is now pulled in two directions: combat and support. Also, the classes involved tend to get few skill points and require investment in more stats.

Skill monkey/Generalist: Factotum
Pros:

Incredible Intelligence synergy
Ignore DR/Spell Resistance
Extra actions
All class skills

Cons:

Mediocre chassis
Lack of thematic connection

There is no question in my mind that a wizard/factotum combination is pretty good. I somewhat unreasonably dislike it for thematic reasons, in that I don’t see an obvious tie-in with runes. While rogue and scout get more skill points, they offer nothing close to what Factotum offers the build in class features.

I also see a tie-in with truenaming and runes (every person and object has their own personal rune capturing their essence blah blah), but I haven’t really looked into the mechanics of truenaming to see if this would be any good.

At this point, I’ve laid out my thoughts. I’m looking for class suggestions, and I’m looking for specifics: how many levels, when to take them, what feats to take, what spells to take, what items will make it work, etc. Nothing above is set in stone but the character concept and rune theme. Thanks in advance!

Kaleph
2017-05-25, 03:06 PM
tl;dr: dwarf gestalt with a rune theme

So, I’m looking to make a Gestalt character for a campaign that a friend of mine is running, and I’d like to get some help from the boards in building the character. Here is the exposition:

I have to play a Dwarf, though just about any (and I mean any) variant dwarf would work (and which variant to play is definitely on the table).
Heavy powergaming is not necessary or desirable: tier 1 and tier 2 options are on the table (and maybe some cheese, but no breaking the game). I intend to powergame lightly to moderately.
All Wizards books are allowed, Pathfinder fighter is allowed, Dragon magazine and other Pathfinder things subject to approval. Homebrew stuff and house rules are out.
We’re using fractional base attack and save calculations.
The build should be designed to play through from level one up to 20+.
I don’t want to abuse free feats, but I’ll listen to suggestions on that point.

The concept I’m working around is runes. This dwarf is a scholar exploring the power of dwarven (and other) runes. Playstyle and main party role should be support/protection and utility. Here’s the proto-build so far:

Side 1:

Wizard (abjurer, generalist, or some variant) makes the most sense as a starting point for the build (though I’m all ears for other suggestions), and I’ve been considering which prestige classes would best complement the theme. The least powerful I’ve looked at is Geometer (I really like the flavor of 1 spell-per-page spellbooks and glyphs), but I acknowledge that the class is not nearly as good as some others. I am also debating between Runesmith and Abjurant Champion: casting in armor is very dwarfy, but I think Abjurant Champion is mostly just better. Finally, I’m thinking of taking Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil, but re-flavoring the prismatic colors as different runes of power instead. Other suggestions welcome.

Side 2 ideas:

Full caster: Archivist, Intelligence Cleric (w/feat), Artificer
Pros:

Spell Versatility
Enhanced party support
Higher level spell combos

Cons:

Poor chassis (BAB, Saves, HD)
Action overabundance/lack of passive
Possibly few skill points

Archivist complements the scholarly flavor of the character with practical abilities, Geometer abilities should work with the class, and Abjurant Champion abilities should apply to any abjurations from that class as well. Abjurant Champion would also work with Cleric, and Cleric contributes a better chassis to the build, but it’s thematically less appealing. Artificer is powerful, versatile, pretty dwarfy, and makes it easy to tie in rune flavor. The campaign premise has the PCs as a dwarven military squad, so there would be sufficient prep time for much of what we do to make the class worthwhile.

Gish: Fighter, Warblade, Duskblade, Carmedine monk
Pros:

Good chassis
Non-casting combat options

Cons:

Few skill points
Role confusion
Slightly MAD

These classes are appealing both thematically (I’m a member of a dwarven special forces unit) and practically to have better non-casting options. These also create a better chassis for the build, though less versatile than the full caster. The main disadvantage is not so much a disadvantage as it is that the main focus of the build is now pulled in two directions: combat and support. Also, the classes involved tend to get few skill points and require investment in more stats.

Skill monkey/Generalist: Factotum
Pros:

Incredible Intelligence synergy
Ignore DR/Spell Resistance
Extra actions
All class skills

Cons:

Mediocre chassis
Lack of thematic connection

There is no question in my mind that a wizard/factotum combination is pretty good. I somewhat unreasonably dislike it for thematic reasons, in that I don’t see an obvious tie-in with runes. While rogue and scout get more skill points, they offer nothing close to what Factotum offers the build in class features.

I also see a tie-in with truenaming and runes (every person and object has their own personal rune capturing their essence blah blah), but I haven’t really looked into the mechanics of truenaming to see if this would be any good.

At this point, I’ve laid out my thoughts. I’m looking for class suggestions, and I’m looking for specifics: how many levels, when to take them, what feats to take, what spells to take, what items will make it work, etc. Nothing above is set in stone but the character concept and rune theme. Thanks in advance!

Look, I'm personally very curious about a base class of WoW called runemaster. Regarding "officiality", the WoW campaign setting is an officially licensed by WotC 3.5 dungeons and dragons supplement, but unfortunately the runemaster is on a subsequent manual, which doesn't feature the d&d logo. The class looks pretty balanced, though, so I'd be able to convince my DM it's playable.

It's a monk-like with some limited form of spellcasting, which is based on temporary or permanent runesthat you inscribe on your body. It has a separate spell list, although you can connect some of them to existing spells. Somehow fits tematically with non-human, tribe/clan-based races.
Comes with a lot of selectable class features, that you may invest to customixe the PC towards the martial, gishy or caster side.

The class is suggested mainly because it has in my opinion a lot of flavor potential and fits in your concept. As I said, it doesn't look like broken, more tier 3-ish.

ExLibrisMortis
2017-05-25, 03:52 PM
Hmm, runes.

I'm thinking Ironsoul Forgemaster and Renegade Mastermaker with a dash of Spellcarved Soldier on top, but it'd come online really late, unless you're allowed to dual-prestige. Basically, you'd be an artificer//incarnate, slowly turning yourself into a warforged dwarf, with Silver Tracery (Spellcarved Soldier prerequisite feat) to top it off. Decent CL on buffs, and very high CL (>40) on armour crafting (including enhancing your own plating), but again, comes online fairly late. Incarnate is a great support class all around, and will boost your skill checks sky-high. Worth considering if you don't like factotum, but slightly increases MAD (need some wis).

Illumian is a nice one for runes, and goes well with Geometer but you'd need to homebrew a dwarf illumian (wouldn't be hard, but it's still homebrew).

Kaje
2017-05-25, 04:12 PM
Putting this out there since you mentioned a bunch of these classes.

Dwarf Rogue 1 / Monk 1 / Duskblade 13 / Warblade 3 / Bloodstorm Blade 2 // Wizard 5 / Runesmith 1 / Enlightened Fist 7 / Spellwarp Sniper 5 / Wizard 2.

Cast touch, ray, and 5th level area spells as part of a full attack. You can even channel with a thrown weapon if you want.

flippantelf
2017-05-25, 06:43 PM
Thank you for your responses! I'm researching the classes now; it's been a long time since I looked at these books, and I forgot much (relearning Incarnum now).

Dwarf Rogue 1 / Monk 1 / Duskblade 13 / Warblade 3 / Bloodstorm Blade 2 // Wizard 5 / Runesmith 1 / Enlightened Fist 7 / Spellwarp Sniper 5 / Wizard 2

How do rogue and runesmith contribute to this build?

Kaje
2017-05-26, 04:01 AM
Rogue because spellwarp sniper requires sneak attack, and take it at first level to maximize your skill points. Runesmith so you can cast your wizard spells in armor.