PDA

View Full Version : Intentionally failing?

SangoProduction
2017-05-25, 07:08 PM
So, Fling Enemy lets you toss an "enemy" up to 10 feet per 5 points you beat a grapple check by. You can't exceed the limits set by Fling Ally, but not the point of the question.

So, if you temporarily declare an ally as an enemy, and they let you toss them, what is their "grapple check"?

Necroticplague
2017-05-25, 07:20 PM
You don't declare someone an enemy to you, a person decides whether they're an enemy to you.

However, ignoring that point, it depends on what they roll. You can't 'intentionally fail' an opposed roll like this. To the best of my knowledge, you can't intentionally fail anything except saves.

Jormengand
2017-05-25, 07:33 PM
You don't declare someone an enemy to you, a person decides whether they're an enemy to you.

No, you decide who's your enemy, and someone is only your ally if you and they both agree, or they're unconscious and you say they are. Otherwise a character could just decide that they're not your enemy and therefore not subject to any attack you make that only affects enemies. For example, you couldn't make attacks of opportunity against someone because "An enemy that takes certain actions while in a threatened square provokes an attack of opportunity from you", and they can just decide not to be your enemy and therefore not to provoke an AoO.

Kayblis
2017-05-25, 10:15 PM
Jormengand got it right on the enemy tag.

Also, any action or reaction you declare, you can choose to fail. You're not forced to attack at full power every time you declare an attack, you can go easy on enemies(say, if you're dueling a much weaker opponent you don't want to kill for whatever plot reason). Your arm isn't locked in sure-kill mode every time someone looks you funny. Nonlethal rules exist so you can deal full damage and still not kill.

You can also choose to fail a skill check, you're not forced to do your best every time you pick a rope or a lockpick. It's just that you usually do, as even your best isn't a guaranteed success most of the time.

So yeah, you can choose to fail a grapple check. If you're cooperating in the throw mentioned, I'd say it's the DM's call - the thrown one could have his minimum value(as if rolled a 1), OR the distance would be just measured by the thrower's own grapple check vs 0(no reaction). The damage taken should be its own penalty, you're already Huge throwing a Medium ally. Fling Ally's advantage is requiring a smaller size and STR score.

Bakkan
2017-05-26, 03:38 AM
I hate to be that guy, but do you have a rule source for that conclusion, max5212? If so, it would make setting off an explosive runes bomb much simpler.

Thurbane
2017-05-26, 05:10 AM
I hate to be that guy, but do you have a rule source for that conclusion, max5212? If so, it would make setting off an explosive runes bomb much simpler.

I'd be interested to see that too.

A quick look the the Rules Compendium, "official" FAQ pdf (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20070731a) and also the Rules of the Game (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/rg) articles hasn't turned up anything, unless I missed something.

Twurps
2017-05-28, 05:18 AM
fist of: I won't rules laywer this, as I have no interest in silly RAW.

However: It would be very silly if I weren't allowed to fail at something/Not do something.
I could live with not being able to fail things like a listen-check, as this is an 'always on' ability. But if I don't resist a grapple, I'm going to get grappled, simple as that. However: As soon as somebody is not resisting, he's helping the person doing the grappling. At that point you're not enemies, so 'fling enemy' is out.

daremetoidareyo
2017-05-28, 12:41 PM
fist of: I won't rules laywer this, as I have no interest in silly RAW.

However: It would be very silly if I weren't allowed to fail at something/Not do something.
I could live with not being able to fail things like a listen-check, as this is an 'always on' ability. But if I don't resist a grapple, I'm going to get grappled, simple as that. However: As soon as somebody is not resisting, he's helping the person doing the grappling. At that point you're not enemies, so 'fling enemy' is out.

Seems overly cautious on the dm side. That's a lot of feat investment and players can do whatever they can imagine. I'd let them take 1 on an opposed grapple check. I mean, Wizards get summon monster and area radius of flame. Are we going to suck what little marrow of fun there is from mundane's bones?

Twurps
2017-05-28, 01:12 PM
Seems overly cautious on the dm side. That's a lot of feat investment and players can do whatever they can imagine. I'd let them take 1 on an opposed grapple check. I mean, Wizards get summon monster and area radius of flame. Are we going to suck what little marrow of fun there is from mundane's bones?

I'm all for melee having nice things, so I might allow it too. I'm just saying it's not how the feat works, with the intent purpose of pointing out it doesn't matter whether or not you can intentionally fail your grapple check or any other action.

So it would be a houserule.

XionUnborn01
2017-05-28, 01:27 PM
I would totally allow this if there wasn't already a feat made for this. Use Fling Ally or don't try to fling your ally.