PDA

View Full Version : The nightmare-ish monsters that you would rather kill yourself than fight.

55904753zx
2017-05-25, 08:31 PM
D&D... So many worlds, relams, and realities where you can accomplish amazing feats and achieve greatness. A world where a single quest can turn you from a beggar into a heroic knight!!

GM: "A Beholder appears in the treasure room as soon as you touch the chest, the door behind your party shuts down at the same time"

"Friend 1 The Trusty Mage" *Tries to use magic*... The main eye can nullify magic
"Friend 2 The Jolly Bard" *Tries to confuse the enemy with music*... Rolls 1 and makes himself retarded
"Friend 3 The Mighty Barbarian" *Charges towards the enemy trying to give the party a chance to escape* rolls 20 *Everyone pats his back with joy*

"Me, The Womanizer Thief" *I use the only Skeleton Key i got in the whole campaign to open the door*

GM: "It will take 3 more turns to open the door due to the Beholder's will", *Then the Beholder devours the Barbarian after reducing his INT/WIS to 1 making him braindead and useless, but a great meat shield nonetheless*
Story short, the mage heals the bard with a potion, bard tries to give us more time with a performance but Beholders sure have more Charisma than a king or a god so he eats our jolly bard.
Next, the mage gives me some famous last words and sacrifices himself in a very heroic way, giving him an inspiration point, but i cry in the inside knowing that im alone now as i can hear how the Beholder that lost his main eye laughs after turning the half-dead mage into a bloody mass of meat that can only feel pain from now on for all eternity. I managed to open the door only to see the corridor now twisted in a spiral-like form... I try to escape but before i could notice i was running in an endless loop... till i die from hunger or thirst, so in the end i just killed myself and end my suffering. And so... ever since that day i hated every single monster that seems to come from H.P. Lovecraft's mind...

So, how about you people?

Starbuck_II
2017-05-25, 08:55 PM
D&D... So many worlds, relams, and realities where you can accomplish amazing feats and achieve greatness. A world where a single quest can turn you from a beggar into a heroic knight!!

GM: "A Beholder appears in the treasure room as soon as you touch the chest, the door behind your party shuts down at the same time"

"Friend 1 The Trusty Mage" *Tries to use magic*... The main eye can nullify magic
"Friend 2 The Jolly Bard" *Tries to confuse the enemy with music*... Rolls 1 and makes himself retarded
"Friend 3 The Mighty Barbarian" *Charges towards the enemy trying to give the party a chance to escape* rolls 20 *Everyone pats his back with joy*

"Me, The Womanizer Thief" *I use the only Skeleton Key i got in the whole campaign to open the door*

GM: "It will take 3 more turns to open the door due to the Beholder's will", *Then the Beholder devours the Barbarian after reducing his INT/WIS to 1 making him braindead and useless, but a great meat shield nonetheless*
Story short, the mage heals the bard with a potion, bard tries to give us more time with a performance but Beholders sure have more Charisma than a king or a god so he eats our jolly bard.
Next, the mage gives me some famous last words and sacrifices himself in a very heroic way, giving him an inspiration point, but i cry in the inside knowing that im alone now as i can hear how the Beholder that lost his main eye laughs after turning the half-dead mage into a bloody mass of meat that can only feel pain from now on for all eternity. I managed to open the door only to see the corridor now twisted in a spiral-like form... I try to escape but before i could notice i was running in an endless loop... till i die from hunger or thirst, so in the end i just killed myself and end my suffering. And so... ever since that day i hated every single monster that seems to come from H.P. Lovecraft's mind...

Um, how does he make you run in a endless loop?
Did you guess trigger a trap earlier?

But yeah, Beholders are tough to fight. Was smarter to not kill big eye. Can't cast eye rays while he sees with it.
How did the Bard critical fumble? Not an actual rule. Unless it was like a cursed lute.

55904753zx
2017-05-25, 09:13 PM
Um, how does he make you run in a endless loop?
Did you guess trigger a trap earlier?

But yeah, Beholders are tough to fight. Was smarter to not kill big eye. Can't cast eye rays while he sees with it.
How did the Bard critical fumble? Not an actual rule. Unless it was like a cursed lute.

No, the beholder could somehow twist reality and yeah, the bard had this cool cursed flute that is pretty risky to use it, he never use it unless we are in a horrible danger.
We were pretty advanced in the campaing and chewed more than we could swallow by getting into some kind of ancient temple with high danger level but BIG reward.

Buufreak
2017-05-25, 09:21 PM
Okay, so your entry isn't beholder, it's dm fiat homebrewed super beholder.

Honestly, only things that have been through the wringer of absolute horse **** tend to be off the table for me.

Edit: as a guy who swears a lot and probably just skates by the mods, I have little room to speak, but please rephrase what happened to the bard after rolling a 1.

55904753zx
2017-05-25, 09:33 PM
Okay, so your entry isn't beholder, it's dm fiat homebrewed super beholder.

Honestly, only things that have been through the wringer of absolute horse **** tend to be off the table for me.

Edit: as a guy who swears a lot and probably just skates by the mods, I have little room to speak, but please rephrase what happened to the bars after rolling a 1.

Well, there was alot of hombrew stuff around this campaign since we wanted to try new stuff, it was a fun night and the rum sure helped to the imagination xD
and we all agreed that no hard feelings if we die in that temple, so all good. in the next campaign we were more careful with our actions and never YOLOed anything.

edit: well, the bard used a cursed flute that it is a 50/50 gamble when using it, but if you get a good roll it could give some good buffs and whatever, but the thing is that when you roll a 1
first of all the effect that was supposed to go for the enemy it goes against you AND gives the enemy a random buff, so in short, the bard was very unlucky. Also my friends panicked a little and ofc the rum wasn't helping
but it was tons of fun and had more fun campaigns all night :p

icefractal
2017-05-25, 09:38 PM
Beholders are scary, but they're not really horrifying, IMO. Now the Atropal, that thing is freaky. Also the Worm That Walks ... engulf. 😱 Tsochar are pretty creepy too, although not as dangerous.

Naez
2017-05-25, 09:47 PM
Adamantine Clockwork Horror, Disintegrate and Mordenkainen's Disjunction as a 14th level caster on a CR 9 creature, AT WILL!

rel
2017-05-25, 11:58 PM
The things that give us the most trouble are creatures with spellcasting.

If a monsters stat block fits on a few pages (as in the n00b GM who has just finished reading the PHB can run this monster with just a few pages) then chances are it has a weakness that can be exploited.

Beholder? Ray Deflection, Friendly Fire, antimagic field on the ranger, I'm sure we can think of something.

A monster that is or casts spells like an Xth level wizard, cleric, etc. That's a problem because it isn't a monster it is a spellcaster with buffs.

It has all of our strengths and none of our weaknesses.

Starbuck_II
2017-05-26, 12:11 AM
Adamantine Clockwork Horror, Disintegrate and Mordenkainen's Disjunction as a 14th level caster on a CR 9 creature, AT WILL!
If you note he is a unique creature. So it is like fighting the Lord of Blades (they under CRed him).

Hurnn
2017-05-26, 12:17 AM
Mind flayer; cr 8 has a spamable save or lose ability with a huge area. due to cr 8 you could conceivably run into one at level 4 or 5 as a boss kind of monster, and that's probably going to be tpk.

Vizzerdrix
2017-05-26, 02:21 AM
Anything with stat point damage at low levels. I was in a group that did the wld and the sheer number of sturges was mind bogeling. Ended up being a tpk and the wererat, but due to an agrwement I had with the DM I was able to play our mule and crushed him to death under myself as I died. Good times!

Buufreak
2017-05-26, 09:06 AM
Well, there was alot of hombrew stuff around this campaign since we wanted to try new stuff, it was a fun night and the rum sure helped to the imagination xD
and we all agreed that no hard feelings if we die in that temple, so all good. in the next campaign we were more careful with our actions and never YOLOed anything.

edit: well, the bard used a cursed flute that it is a 50/50 gamble when using it, but if you get a good roll it could give some good buffs and whatever, but the thing is that when you roll a 1
first of all the effect that was supposed to go for the enemy it goes against you AND gives the enemy a random buff, so in short, the bard was very unlucky. Also my friends panicked a little and ofc the rum wasn't helping
but it was tons of fun and had more fun campaigns all night :p

I wasn't looking for a better explanation. It was more a "please don't use a term that is able-ist and that belittles people."

Fizban
2017-05-26, 10:24 AM
The Plane of Mirrors is hardly a plane, more like a long winding corridor that links groups of related mirrors. It's hard to get to and there's nothing there except for you, and you. The moment you arrive the mirror of yourself has only one goal: kill you so it can exit the mirror and take over your life. It knows everything you do, can sense exactly where you are, and has all your abilities and equipment except for being opposite in alignment and favoring the opposite hand.

ATHATH
2017-05-26, 10:52 AM
The Plane of Mirrors is hardly a plane, more like a long winding corridor that links groups of related mirrors. It's hard to get to and there's nothing there except for you, and you. The moment you arrive the mirror of yourself has only one goal: kill you so it can exit the mirror and take over your life. It knows everything you do, can sense exactly where you are, and has all your abilities and equipment except for being opposite in alignment and favoring the opposite hand.
Hm... If you're TN, could you try to parlay with it and perhaps have one of you willingly accept a Geas to rez the other one after the first one escapes or something?

The_Jette
2017-05-26, 11:30 AM
In D&D there's no monster that I'd rather have my character die than face. As a level six character, in a group with an average ECL of 7, I helped face down a Greater Fyr (3rd edition, CR 12, iirc). We defeated it with a combination of good tactics, a level 9 Cleric, and lucky rolls. The two of us who weren't the cleric were both Monks. There was a program that gave a list of xp and advice for how to handle the situation. The program's suggestion was finding a new DM.

World of Darkness, though, has Caine. I'd probably just pull my own heart out upon seeing him in the distance, or decapitate myself, rather than face getting diablerized by the first Vampire.

55904753zx
2017-05-26, 09:06 PM
I wasn't looking for a better explanation. It was more a "please don't use a term that is able-ist and that belittles people."

I just answered your question "what happened to the bard after rolling a 1" but i see that you are just like a Golem made of salt.

Fizban
2017-05-27, 05:07 AM
Hm... If you're TN, could you try to parlay with it and perhaps have one of you willingly accept a Geas to rez the other one after the first one escapes or something?
You could try parlaying regardless, being neutral/neutral means you don't have an alignment conflict but you still have the "wants to steal your life" conflict to deal with. You can be rezed as normal, at cost of cash and levels as normal, and your party would have to recover the body. The only advantage you'd gain is the ability to traverse that particular set of mirrors without further threat, but only for yourself (though you could help your allies fight their doubles).

It's not actually a difficult problem to solve. If you know it's coming you just strip off your magic items and enter covered in buffs from allies, since the plane description doesn't say it duplicates buffs you'll be at a massive, possibly insurmountable advantage. Since it doesn't spawn until you enter it has limited time to buff if you're the one hunting it. But without that perfect knowledge and preparation a 1v1 against yourself is a terrible idea for a gamble, unless you're banking on just outplaying the DM via knowing your own character.

Morcleon
2017-05-27, 10:54 AM
I just answered your question "what happened to the bard after rolling a 1" but i see that you are just like a Golem made of salt.

There was no question in the sentence. The full clause was "please rephrase what happened to the bard after rolling a 1".

Florian
2017-05-27, 11:22 AM

I´ve developed an allergy to certain monsters that are overinflated in fiction and that, when showing up in-game, should function on an equal level to the fiction, breaking the CR system to do so.

FR Drow and Yuan-Ti are such cases.

Vizzerdrix
2017-05-27, 11:25 AM
The DMs "totally balanced" homebrewed monster.

The DMnpc.

PvP vs. The DMGF.