PDA

View Full Version : Suggested items and gear enhancements?

danielxcutter
2017-05-25, 09:21 PM
Yeah, I've been asking for help a lot. Sorry.

Anyways, could you guys suggest what items and armor/weapon enhancements we should get?

•LG Whisper Gnome Cloistered Cleric 5(Deity: Rill Cleverthrush)

-Stats: 8/16/16/16/16/8

-Domains: Knowledge, Travel

-Feats: Knowledge Devotion*, Obscure Lore, Travel Devotion

-Weapon groups: Basic, heavy blades

-Special: The player says that he's played RPGs a lot, so he wants something new. He doesn't really seem to have optimization in mind - and that's not a problem, since he's the only tier 1 class - but he did say that his character can learn to become better if needed.

Also, the DM allowed him to trade his bonus Knowledge domain for the Devotion feat and take it again from his normal domain choices(Rill Cleverthrush has Knowledge, Travel, and Magic).

Plans on getting DMM: Extend, but not Persistent. It also seems that he's interested in the Reach Spell metamagic feat. He wants to make the buffs he casts last longer, and his healing spells heal more.

Has the Collector of Stories skill trick.

-Items: Masterwork longsword, MW studded leather, Handy Haversack, Reliquary Holy Symbol, Artificer's Monocle, ring of Sustenance, Anklet of Translocation, 5 vials, waterskin, bedroll, 5 scroll cases, chalk, inkpen, ink, notebook

•NG Pixie Unarmed Swordsage 1

-Stats: 4(!)/28(!!!)/14/14/20(!!)/14(Note: Not sure if this includes the +2 from Gloves of Dexterity.)

-Feats: Shadow Blade, Expeditious Dodge(Pixie bonus feat), Weapon Finesse(Pixie bonus feat), Improved Unarmed Strike(Unarmed Swordsage bonus feat), Weapon Focus: Shadow Hand weapons(Swordsage bonus feat)

-Weapon groups: Basic, Light blades, Crossbows

-Maneuvers: Burning Blade, Sapphire Nightmare Blade, Shadow Blade Technique, Mighty Throw, Counter Charge, Wolf Fang Strike

-Stance: Child of Shadows

-Special: Her player plans to get an Amulet of Tears ASAP, and plans to enter Master of Nine.

-Items: Gloves of Dexterity +2, Wyrmfang Amulet, Third Eye: Freedom, Vest of Resistance +1, backpack, blanket, bedroll, waterskin, rations x 5, hooded lantern, oil(1 pint).

•LE Catfolk Warlock 4

-Stats: 12/18/14/14/8/19

-Feats: Mortalbane, Ability Focus: Eldritch Blast

-Weapon groups: Basic, Light blades, Spears and lances

-Invocations: Eldritch Blast, See the Unseen, Beguiling Influence, Baleful Utterance

-Special: His player plans on taking Hellfire Warlock and dipping a level of Binder for Naberius.

-Items: Mithral chain shirt, darkwood buckler, masterwork rapier w/wand chamber, masterwork longspear w/wandchamber, Handy Haversack, wand of Lesser Vigor, 3 scrolls of Knock, Everlasting Rations, 2 waterskins, Healing Belt, Gloves of Energy Admixture

•NG Human Fighter 2/Psion(Nomad) 3

(My character.)

-Stats: 16/10/14/18/13/10

-Feats: Power Attack, Able Learner, Psicrystal Affinity, Track, Improved Initiative, Shape Soulmeld: Shedu Crown

-Weapon groups: Basic, Heavy blades, Exotic(Jotar), Bows, Spears and lances

-Powers: Vigor, Entangling Ectoplasm, Inertial Armor, Energy Ray, Detect Psionics(1st), Share Pain, Dimension Swap(2nd)

-Special: Psicrystal(Nimble). Planning to grab Mindsight later through Open Chakra, Psionic(DM allowed this). DM has ruled that a) Practiced Manifester counts towards bonus PP. b) Psicrystals gain HD.

ACF: Skilled City-Dweller. Changed Ride(from Nomad) to Tumble, and Handle Animal(from Fighter) to Gather Information.

The DM says that I can use the SRD version of Slayer, with no strings attached. I'm going to choose Cerebrilith for my FE(originally tried Psion-Killer, but that one's not psionic).

-Items: +1 deep crystal jovar, +1 padding, masterwork composite(Str +3) longbow, 100 arrows, trident, Handy Haversack, bedroll, flint and steel, tent, soap(2 lbs), 10 sheets of parchment, 50 feet of silk rope, ink, Everlasting Rations, Everfull Mug, gray ioun stone enchanted with Continual Flame, inkpen, 1 jug of Shapesand, torchbug paste x 4, holy water x 4, antitoxin, honey leather tarpaulin, masterwork tool of Psicraft, masterwork tool of Knowledge(psionics), explorer's outfit.

I'm looking for anything and everything that might be either useful or required, magical or non-magical, that we should buy later at any stage of the game(which will go up to level 17~18, maybe a little higher, according to the DM).

prototype00
2017-05-25, 09:25 PM
You been to Bunko's Bargain basement before? I do all my optimised shopping there (it's a guide with the best/cheapest items in the game sorted by type)

danielxcutter
2017-05-25, 09:29 PM
You been to Bunko's Bargain basement before? I do all my optimised shopping there (it's a guide with the best/cheapest items in the game sorted by type)

Why do you think 75% of the party has Handy Haversacks? In fact, when the DM was recruiting, I gave everyone a link to there, and Shax's Handy Haversack as well. And the DM followed that up with a link to the Necessary Magic Items handbook. Still, advice would be welcome, as much of those handbooks are general advice.

danielxcutter
2017-05-27, 08:32 PM
...Okay, still nothing? :smallannoyed:

Anyways, we've gotten our first mission from the Questrunner's Guild, and our job is to investigate the cause of the mysterious diseases that are spreading in an area of the jungle near to the city. The guy who's giving us our quest says it's probably the work of cultists, and I rolled high enough on my Knowledge(religion) check enough to know that the likely culprits are both cults of Chaotic gods.

The good news? We're in a large city, one of the biggest in the setting, so there are likely a lot of items for sale.

The bad news? We spent most of our starting gold on items, and we have squat to help with disease. :smallannoyed: The closest we have is a dose of antitoxin I have in my Handy Haversack.

Remaining gold: Trixis 24 gp, Ana 36 gp 8 sp, Derrussar 16 gp, Ian 155 gp 8 sp.

If we pool our gold together, do you guys think we'll have enough to buy a potion of Remove Disease or something?

Vizzerdrix
2017-05-27, 11:21 PM
Ill toss out a basic list of gear. I hope it helps.

Shapesand.
Several healing belts each. Swap them out as you go. Make them from MW potion belts for extra utility!
Ship in a box (the one from dmg)
More shapesand
A travelers cloak (makes food, water, tea, and a tent and endure elements vs cold)
Wand chambers in everything.
Yet more shapesand.
Init boosting enchantments are was good (eager and warning)
Save boosting enchantments
Have I mentioned shapesand yet?
A few eternal wands, or just some partial wands of common utility spells.
Miss chances will serve better than ac boosters later on. But a little extra ac is ok.
Let me introduce you to my friend Shapesand
Splitting for any archer
Dmg 2 has a weapon enchant that stuns with a cha based dc. That can be fun.
Do I even need to mention it again? Rymes with grapehand....
The Azuh Gund (I think Im spelling it correctly) a whistle that allows a person to control two zombies great for finding traps.
A few anklets of translocation are always nice.

As for the illness problem, you could see if you can get a heartstone from a nighthag, or replicate one somehow.... shapesandshapesandshapesandshapesand

danielxcutter
2017-05-28, 12:14 AM
Let's see...

Shapesand.

Done, I have a 12 lbs. jug in my Haversack.

Several healing belts each. Swap them out as you go. Make them from MW potion belts for extra utility!

Hmm... Well, the Warlock has one. Also, we have a Cleric, and we're probably going to buy a lot of Lesser Vigor wands.

Ship in a box (the one from dmg)

For cover, I guess, though since the Cleric has the Travel domain and I'm a Nomad, we probably won't be using it for it's intended use. Maybe we could put this off for later.

More shapesand

I guess we could buy a few more jugs later on. For now, we have some already.

A travelers cloak (makes food, water, tea, and a tent and endure elements vs cold)

Not bad(several areas are cold). The Cloistered Cleric has a ring of Sustenance, and me and the Warlock have Everlasting Rations, plus me and the CC have ranks in Survival, but we should probably get at least one of these for the Pixie. Probably more, if we can.

Wand chambers in everything.

The Warlock has wand chambers in his rapier and longspear. I could get a chamber in my jovar, if the DM allows me to put dorjes in them(and I can get useful ones). I should talk the Cleric into getting one in their longsword, too.

Yet more shapesand.

Remember, shapesand can only make mundane items. Three or four jugs should be more than enough.

Init boosting enchantments are was good (eager and warning)

Yeah, I'm definitely going to get them on my sword. The others will probably like them, too.

Noteworthy: we all have decent initiative bonuses. The lowest is the Cleric, who has +3 from Dex. The Warlock is +4 from Dex, I have a +6 from my psicrystal and Improved Initiative, and the Swordsage has a whopping +9, from a 28 Dex alone.

So we'll probably going to pick those up anyways, but they might be saved for later if there's something else we really need.

Save boosting enchantments

Did I mention that this campaign is an Elder Evil game? I think it's a homebrewed one, so saves are probably going to be very important. Plus, failing a saving throw sucks. The SS has a Vest of Resistance +1, but that's probably it.

Have I mentioned shapesand yet?

Yes. Several times, in fact.

A few eternal wands, or just some partial wands of common utility spells.

Sounds nice. Any suggestions?

Miss chances will serve better than ac boosters later on. But a little extra ac is ok.

Okay. Decent.

Let me introduce you to my friend Shapesand

I think we've met already. :smallannoyed:

Splitting for any archer

Hrmph. I'm no archer, but I do have a composite longbow(adjusted to my +3 Str bonus). Probably won't use my bow enough to justify getting it, though.

Dmg 2 has a weapon enchant that stuns with a cha based dc. That can be fun.

You mean Sudden Stunning? I have a Charisma of 10, and the only one who has a good score in there - the Warlock - intends to be a blastlock. So... nah.

Do I even need to mention it again? Rymes with grapehand....

If you don't have to mention it, don't.

The Azuh Gund (I think Im spelling it correctly) a whistle that allows a person to control two zombies great for finding traps.

Nah, I think we'll be fine without it.

A few anklets of translocation are always nice.

I think the Cleric and the Warlock have one each. I'm probably going to get one too.

As for the illness problem, you could see if you can get a heartstone from a nighthag, or replicate one somehow....

How much do those cost per stone again?

shapesandshapesandshapesandshapesand

:smallannoyed: Whatever...

Vizzerdrix
2017-05-28, 12:34 AM
Heartstones have no cost, but arent magical. Turn some shapesand into one. Part of the reason I keep mentioning the stuff. About the only thing you cant do with it is identify magical items and travel to other planes, and Im still looking for ways to do those.

As for the ship in a box. I have never used one for sailing, but it is always a priority to get for my characters. Having an entire ship makes for great cover, or a fortified place to camp, or a great road block, or for dropping on someones head...

danielxcutter
2017-05-28, 12:38 AM
Heartstones have no cost, but arent magical. Turn some shapesand into one. Part of the reason I keep mentioning the stuff. About the only thing you cant do with it is identify magical items and travel to other planes, and Im still looking for ways to do those.

Eh, that's a bit cheesy. I'm pretty sure the RAI is only mundane tools and equipment. It's still a much better investment than actually buying said mundane tools, though, such as crowbars.

As for the ship in a box. I have never used one for sailing, but it is always a priority to get for my characters. Having an entire ship makes for great cover, or a fortified place to camp, or a great road block, or for dropping on someones head...

Not bad, but it's still not on the top of my personal list.

Darrin
2017-05-28, 01:18 PM
Remaining gold: Trixis 24 gp, Ana 36 gp 8 sp, Derrussar 16 gp, Ian 155 gp 8 sp.

Hmm. With those funds, just about the only thing you can afford is maybe stock up on some dust eggshell grenades. Maybe Ian can grab a chaos flask.

As far as dealing with diseases, maybe grab a few scrolls of delay disease (25 GP, Spell Compendium). That should buy you enough time to restudy spells or get to a better healer.

Regarding long-term magic items... it's hard for me to be specific if we're only speculating on what you'll be able to buy later, but some low-cost items that may not be mentioned in the Haversack thread:

Whisper Gnome Cleric:

Dispelling Cord (1000 GP, MIC). +2 on dispelling checks 5/day.

Gloves of the Starry Sky (1100 GP, MIC). Yes, this works for clerics. Yes, direct-damage blasting is not a very effective strategy for a Tier 1 caster. Yes, it's still immensely satisfying blast your enemies with a cloud of magic missiles.

Headband of the Lorebinder (1600 GP, MIC). +4 on bardic knowledge checks.

Scarab of Aradros (1500 GP, WoL). Ignore the WoL nonsense. +1 resistance bonus and +1 on counterspell/dispel checks.

Pixie Swordsage:

Piercer Cloak (900 GP, MIC). 3/day, +1d6 damage on all your attacks when attacking from higher ground.

Amulet of Teamwork (2000 GP, MIC). If he's in Island of Blades stance (which he doesn't have yet), then *everybody* attacking the same target gets a +2 attack bonus for flanking.

Tunic of Steady Spellcasting (2500 GP, MIC). +4 on *any* Concentration check.

Third Eye Dampening (2500 GP, MIC). Turns an instakill from a spell/SLA/power/PLA into hopefully something you can walk away from.

Novice Stone Dragon Belt (3000 GP, ToB). Swiss Army Chainsaw.

Feather Token: Tree/Boat (400/450 GP, DMG). 20d6 falling object damage. Never gets old... but could get banned if you overdo it.

Catfolk Warlock:

Amber Amulet of Vermin: Giant Wasp (800 GP, MIC). 1/day, 10 rounds as a flying mount. Rain down death from above!

Black Fan (150 GP, OA). This is a one-shot (like a potion), but grants +10 on Diplomacy checks for the next *HOUR*.

Wink Broach (900 GP, MIC). +2 bonus on Bluff/Diplomacy 3/day.

Hat of Disguise (1800 GP). Social engineering chainsaw.

Circlet of Persuasion (4500 GP, DMG). MOAR Charisma!

Fighter/Nomad:

Brute Gauntlets (500 GP, MIC). 3/day bonus damage on your melee attacks. There's no "attunement" period, so if you want more uses per day, you can buy more gauntlets.

Reach Gauntlets (500 GP, MIC). 3/day, spend 1 PP to gain +5' reach for all melee attacks. Same price as the Brute Gauntlets. You probably want to save your PP for other things, but still... smacking someone with your jovar when he thought he was outside your reach would be really nifty.

Darklight (500 GP, Secrets of Sarlona). Power it up with 1 PP, controls the level of illumination within 80' radius. For different light levels: total darkness, shadowy, torchlight, dazzling beacon.

Githborn Talisman (1800 GP, MIC). You mentioned going into Slayer. Might as well rack up some damage buffs against aberrations. Enemy Spirit Pouch does something similar in the same slot but is a smidge more expensive.

Armbands of Might (4100 GP, MIC). Free bonus damage when you Power Attack for +2 or more.

danielxcutter
2017-05-28, 05:24 PM
Hmm. With those funds, just about the only thing you can afford is maybe stock up on some dust eggshell grenades. Maybe Ian can grab a chaos flask.

As far as dealing with diseases, maybe grab a few scrolls of delay disease (25 GP, Spell Compendium). That should buy you enough time to restudy spells or get to a better healer.

delay disease, huh? That sounds like a great idea, since I can buy one for each of us and have cash to spare!

Regarding long-term magic items... it's hard for me to be specific if we're only speculating on what you'll be able to buy later, but some low-cost items that may not be mentioned in the Haversack thread:

Whisper Gnome Cleric:

Dispelling Cord (1000 GP, MIC). +2 on dispelling checks 5/day.

Hmm... actually, I might get one of those as well, if the DM allows it to apply to dispel psionics.

Gloves of the Starry Sky (1100 GP, MIC). Yes, this works for clerics. Yes, direct-damage blasting is not a very effective strategy for a Tier 1 caster. Yes, it's still immensely satisfying blast your enemies with a cloud of magic missiles.

I honestly came within a five-foot step of cackling out loud when I read this. Talk about a nasty surprise.

Headband of the Lorebinder (1600 GP, MIC). +4 on bardic knowledge checks.

Yup, totally mentioning it to the Cleric.

Scarab of Aradros (1500 GP, WoL). Ignore the WoL nonsense. +1 resistance bonus and +1 on counterspell/dispel checks.

I doubt this will be allowed, but if Weapons of Legacy are allowed, I might convince the DM to give us custom ones.

Pixie Swordsage:

Piercer Cloak (900 GP, MIC). 3/day, +1d6 damage on all your attacks when attacking from higher ground.

Hope that this actually works on attacks that don't deal piercing damage. :smallamused:

Amulet of Teamwork (2000 GP, MIC). If he's in Island of Blades stance (which he doesn't have yet), then *everybody* attacking the same target gets a +2 attack bonus for flanking.

Okay, I actually cackled out loud at this.

Tunic of Steady Spellcasting (2500 GP, MIC). +4 on *any* Concentration check.

Huh. Sounds like an item for Diamond Mind strikes.

Third Eye Dampening (2500 GP, MIC). Turns an instakill from a spell/SLA/power/PLA into hopefully something you can walk away from.

Ooooh! This is cool!

Novice Stone Dragon Belt (3000 GP, ToB). Swiss Army Chainsaw.

Actually, he says he's going to pick up Mountain Hammer anyways.

Feather Token: Tree/Boat (400/450 GP, DMG). 20d6 falling object damage. Never gets old... but could get banned if you overdo it.

You know, if we come up against something like an army, I plan to buy a metric buttload of Tree tokens and use our(Nomads get Fly, Psionic; Warlocks get Fell Flight; the Travel Domain also has Fly) to rain cabers on them. Sounds fun. :smallamused:

Catfolk Warlock:

Amber Amulet of Vermin: Giant Wasp (800 GP, MIC). 1/day, 10 rounds as a flying mount. Rain down death from above!

Noted.

Black Fan (150 GP, OA). This is a one-shot (like a potion), but grants +10 on Diplomacy checks for the next *HOUR*.

Didn't cackle this time, but still grinned.

Wink Broach (900 GP, MIC). +2 bonus on Bluff/Diplomacy 3/day.

Not bad.

Hat of Disguise (1800 GP). Social engineering chainsaw.

*grins*

Circlet of Persuasion (4500 GP, DMG). MOAR Charisma!

*grins wider*

Fighter/Nomad:

Brute Gauntlets (500 GP, MIC). 3/day bonus damage on your melee attacks. There's no "attunement" period, so if you want more uses per day, you can buy more gauntlets.

Sweet!

Reach Gauntlets (500 GP, MIC). 3/day, spend 1 PP to gain +5' reach for all melee attacks. Same price as the Brute Gauntlets. You probably want to save your PP for other things, but still... smacking someone with your jovar when he thought he was outside your reach would be really nifty.

Yup.

Darklight (500 GP, Secrets of Sarlona). Power it up with 1 PP, controls the level of illumination within 80' radius. For different light levels: total darkness, shadowy, torchlight, dazzling beacon.

Well, I do have a gray ioun stone with continual flame on it...

Githborn Talisman (1800 GP, MIC). You mentioned going into Slayer. Might as well rack up some damage buffs against aberrations. Enemy Spirit Pouch does something similar in the same slot but is a smidge more expensive.

Actually, I'm using the SRD version.

Armbands of Might (4100 GP, MIC). Free bonus damage when you Power Attack for +2 or more.

Nice. Thanks!