PDA

View Full Version : Recharge Magic campaign PC Help

DrKerosene
2017-05-26, 05:36 AM
Hey there Playground, my Party is missing the Arcane Caster role and I've been trying to figure out if there is any notable build changes for 3.5e with spell recharge rules. The Party has a Cleric, Ranger, and Beatstick. I expect the Ranger will be an archer and the "Face". The Beatstick seems to want to be a Psychic Warrior, or at least a Half-Giant or Maenid with Titan Bloodline stuff.

Generally no Incarnum, ToB, ToM, Dragon Magazine, or setting specific stuff, but I can probably get a few gems approved.

No Flaws or Traits, starting level 1 with 38PB. Feat progression identical to a Fighter, all Skills being Class Skills, and Armor as DR are the notable changes. No need to confirm crits, but we roll 2d10 instead of 1d20.

I've gotten clearance to use a Tibbit, Psion (considered a spontaneous caster without cantrips), and Leadership (no combat, just minding the camp/shop). Thrallherd was not specified as any different when asked. The Apprentice (entertainer) feat seems fine to use too, and Psionic Tattoo. The DM has said no Wands, due to spamability. And that the game will probably be more exploration than social/intrigue.

Practically speaking, a Beguiler seems to work. I'm also inclined to play a middle-aged Grey Elf Wizard with the Collegiate Wizard feat. And just play more or less as a Buff/Utility Wizard. Though, I have effectively gotten clearance to play a Celebrity Psychic Cat Tattoo-Artist who develops their own cult. Maybe a Changling Urban Druid or Tibbit Wu Jen?

What I want is to experience being a Player, as I've been a "forever DM" and figure I need the perspective. I don't want to ruin the game, or steal the spotlight in combat, nor do I want to make the DM pull-out their hair, etc. I'm only expecting the game to last several levels, so I'm not planning anything that "comes online" after level 9+, but I do kinda want to play a distinctly 3.5e build that I won't get to do in another edition.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

DeTess
2017-05-26, 05:47 AM
The beguiler is a fun class, as it essentially marries rogue utility to a pretty decent enchanting/illusion spell list. It's also somewhat easier to build than a wizard as you've got a fixed spell list that you don't need to pick from (you've got access to everything on it the moment you get the appropriate level spell slot). Another interesting option (though if you start from lvl 1, this might need Gm approval, as you're basically multi-classing on lvl 2), is to go beguiler/wizard/ultimate magus. In my experience, this is pretty fun for buff/utility spell-casting, but it does require a bit more book-keeping.

DrKerosene
2017-05-27, 07:38 AM
I think I'll go Wizard 3 and then see how I feel about Traps and needing a second source of spells, before deciding on multi-classing into Beguiler. It doesn't seem to have enough buff spells for allies for what I'm hoping to do.

Beguiler does seem to be the obvious fill-in for what's missing, but I think I'll see how much mileage I can get out of basic Scrolls to beat the casting limitations and buff everyone.

Thanks for re-inforcing my interest in Ultimate Magus.