PDA

View Full Version : Revised Ranger multiclass advice requested.

Ferrell
2017-05-26, 10:58 AM
My apologies for the wall of text. TL;DR at the bottom. I'm looking for some input on where I should go with my character. I'm playing in a West Marches campaign and I aiming for utility, support, and control. As characters level up they can earn magic items so eventually I can pick any magic items to assist.

Here's a list of what I got so far:

Cloak of Elvenkind
Hand Crossbow +1
Eyes of the Eagle
Bard Instrument: Mac-Fuirmidh cittern
Trident of Fish Command
Adamantine Chainmail

My character is a net slinging Pirate who has a Giant Crab companion. I'm using the Revised Ranger and I've just hit level 6. I'm tempted to multiclass since the DM says my Crab would still grow with me. He's a variant human, I picked up Magic Initiate for Find Familiar(Parrot skinned Owl), Mending (Repair my nets) and mold earth (Bury me treasure and baddies too!). I've also picked up Crossbow Expert to get rid of the disadvantage on casting Nets in melee and that sweet bonus action attack.

So far my tactics have been try to get advantage on the net attack (i.e. Parrot taking Help action/Flanking), bonus action hand crossbow attack, then let my crab attack/grapple and pull the baddie away. He can tank fairly well with his 19 AC, and if I throw out a fog cloud he can use his blindsight to cause some real havoc (Think the movie The Mist). Or he can drag grappled baddies through Spike Growth like a cheese grater.

I'm considering dipping a level of Cleric and taking the life domain. I'd get Heavy Armor proficiency and I can get some Mithral Plate so I don't have to worry about the strength requirements or the stealth penalty. This combined my Eyes of the Eagle and Cloak of Elven Kind would make me a sturdy scout. This would also pump my Good Berries to 1 + 2 + spell level and I can use higher level slots the night before to get some very juicy berries. This would also net me (pun… pa pun pun) the Guidance cantrip and some nice level 1 spells. Flavor wise I'd have found faith in Valkur for helping me when I was down on my luck.

I'm also considering taking some levels in Bard. I know it will make me MAD, but I got the stats to pull it off. Then I could use my Bard Instrument. I'd go College of Lore since I have armor proficiencies and Nets limit me to once attack per action anyway. I get more skills, a solid use of my reaction via cutting words and the additional magic secrets could get me Find Steed, or super cheese heals with Aura of Vitality. More spells, more slots, more juicy berries, eventually I can turn my Giant Crab into a T-Rex. Flavor all that Bardy goodness as Sea Shanties and being influenced by my magical Ye Olde Guitar. If I avoid Save/Attack spells I can use my ASI to pick up Observant, which would give me something like 29 passive perception. (10 + 6 Proficiency & Expertise + 3 Wisdom Mod + 5 Observant + 5 Eyes of the Eagle Advantage)

TL;DR: Level 6 Revised Ranger: Beast Conclave thinking about dipping into Life Cleric and multiclassing Lore Bard. Thoughts?

Khrysaes
2017-05-26, 11:09 AM
Snip

TL;DR: Level 6 Revised Ranger: Beast Conclave thinking about dipping into Life Cleric and multiclassing Lore Bard. Thoughts?

Battlemaster fighter, most rogue types and bard would fit your character. Based on the crossbow I am assuming you want to stay ranged.

Bard will increase your spellcasting the most. and give you tons of versatility. It doesn't overlap with your Magic Initiate feat that much, which is good. Does require 13 cha. This will boost your support the most. Note that you can use magical secrets to get Swift quiver, so you don't lose one of the best Ranger spells.

These two work well with ranger, and as an added bonus only require 13 dex, which I think you already have.

Rogue gives you nice alternative bonus actions, and some bonus damage. level 5 and 6 it gets some nice defenses a ranger doesnt get until level 15, and then only one of the two. Level 10 is an extra ASI.

Fighter gives you some nice controlling abilities. You could get a second fighting style, and if you are using UA, you could try and get close quarter's shooter for an added +1 to hit. Level 6 is an extra ASI.

Foxhound438
2017-05-26, 11:41 AM
if I throw out a fog cloud he can use his blindsight to cause some real havoc (Think the movie The Mist).

I've been a proponent of crab companion for a long time now, and I have never noticed that it gets blindsight. that's amazing.

As to your question of what to do moving foreward, everything you plan on seems to check out. Only issue I would have is that you're looking at 6 bard levels and 1 cleric (total 7) before getting the super aura of vitality you're talking about. That's quite a long time to get, but I suppose if you're happy with the small buffs you'll be getting I suppose it's fine. I might personally take some more Cha instead of observant, get an extra use of bardic inspiration and all.

Citan
2017-05-27, 05:52 AM
My apologies for the wall of text. TL;DR at the bottom. I'm looking for some input on where I should go with my character. I'm playing in a West Marches campaign and I aiming for utility, support, and control. As characters level up they can earn magic items so eventually I can pick any magic items to assist.

Here's a list of what I got so far:

Cloak of Elvenkind
Hand Crossbow +1
Eyes of the Eagle
Bard Instrument: Mac-Fuirmidh cittern
Trident of Fish Command
Adamantine Chainmail

My character is a net slinging Pirate who has a Giant Crab companion. I'm using the Revised Ranger and I've just hit level 6. I'm tempted to multiclass since the DM says my Crab would still grow with me. He's a variant human, I picked up Magic Initiate for Find Familiar(Parrot skinned Owl), Mending (Repair my nets) and mold earth (Bury me treasure and baddies too!). I've also picked up Crossbow Expert to get rid of the disadvantage on casting Nets in melee and that sweet bonus action attack.

So far my tactics have been try to get advantage on the net attack (i.e. Parrot taking Help action/Flanking), bonus action hand crossbow attack, then let my crab attack/grapple and pull the baddie away. He can tank fairly well with his 19 AC, and if I throw out a fog cloud he can use his blindsight to cause some real havoc (Think the movie The Mist). Or he can drag grappled baddies through Spike Growth like a cheese grater.

I'm considering dipping a level of Cleric and taking the life domain. I'd get Heavy Armor proficiency and I can get some Mithral Plate so I don't have to worry about the strength requirements or the stealth penalty. This combined my Eyes of the Eagle and Cloak of Elven Kind would make me a sturdy scout. This would also pump my Good Berries to 1 + 2 + spell level and I can use higher level slots the night before to get some very juicy berries. This would also net me (pun… pa pun pun) the Guidance cantrip and some nice level 1 spells. Flavor wise I'd have found faith in Valkur for helping me when I was down on my luck.

I'm also considering taking some levels in Bard. I know it will make me MAD, but I got the stats to pull it off. Then I could use my Bard Instrument. I'd go College of Lore since I have armor proficiencies and Nets limit me to once attack per action anyway. I get more skills, a solid use of my reaction via cutting words and the additional magic secrets could get me Find Steed, or super cheese heals with Aura of Vitality. More spells, more slots, more juicy berries, eventually I can turn my Giant Crab into a T-Rex. Flavor all that Bardy goodness as Sea Shanties and being influenced by my magical Ye Olde Guitar. If I avoid Save/Attack spells I can use my ASI to pick up Observant, which would give me something like 29 passive perception. (10 + 6 Proficiency & Expertise + 3 Wisdom Mod + 5 Observant + 5 Eyes of the Eagle Advantage)

Hi!
First, if you are already Ranger lvl 7, on Revised BeastMaster, I would strongly consider taking next level in Ranger, because your Giant Crab friend seems to be very often in the thick of it: on that regard, having advantage on saving throws as long as he sees you is a great defensive benefit imo, unless in your experience spells are rarely thrown at you.

Then on the remainder.
Life Cleric is always a solid idea, for everything you said but also...
- Sanctuary (once your companion grabbed that big bad guy and stays "grappling" him, Sanctuary should stick because he is neither attacking nor casting a spell at him. Extra resilience ;))
- Bless: another way to help you and your friend be efficient and resilient.
- Healing Words: no need to explain.

As for Lore Bard... Barring the fluff questions (if you think it fits your character then it fits: your character, your decision ;)) I wonder if the game is worth it. You are starting the second tier of leveling where each next level is much farther than the current, meaning you spend longer and longer times at the same level. So you shouldn't expect getting Polymorph before a very long time. So if that was your main reason to dip Bard, I'd advise against it.
Now for the other goodies...
- Expertise: Rogue brings it at first level.
- Healing spells: Life Cleric brings it.
- Other spells: there are some nice spells indeed (Blindness, Disguise Self, Comprehend Language, Silent Image, Enlarge, Enhance Ability, Invisibility, Heat Metal, Knock, See Invisibility, Silence, Bestow Curse, Plant Growth, Fear, Dispel Magic, Greater Invisibility, Polymorph), but are they worth the multiclass? It really depends on how much you intend to use your slots on Cleric/Ranger spells.
- More skills: Rogue brings it at first level. The difference is Jack of All Trades. If you are a solo player, this is a very useful buff. If you are in a group you can safely put it aside.
- Find Steed / Aura of Vitality: same as with Greater Invisibility: if you really want those because it's part of how you envision your character's daily life and you are ready to wait for real-life weeks/months to get them (of course, it totally varies with session frequency and DM's practices on xp), go for it. Otherwise, I'd say "pass".
In short, Bard is by no means a "bad" multiclass, it can be great, but some of the features you are looking for in it will come late. If it doesn't bother you, go for it.

Otherwise you may consider one of the following multiclass options, which will bring different things.

Rogue
3 levels in Thief (for bonus action eating Goodberry or use any offensive object) or Swashbuckler (thematically fitting, and you said you have good CHA so it would provide a decent Initiative boost) would net you Expertise, +2d6 on your crossbow attack, extra skill, Dash/Disengage/Hide as a bonus action and archetype bonus. So it greatly increases your mobility and preserve your idea of insane passive perception.

Warlock
3 levels in Tome Warlock (whatever patron you like) would provide you Hex, Mirror Image, two more utility cantrips (or attack cantrips if you want to diversify), 3 more cantrips from pact, Ritual Invocation and either extra skills proficiencies (Beguiling Influence) or Devil's Sight. The rituals would include Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Find Familiar, Speak with Animals, Unseen Servant, Animal Messenger, Beast Sense and Silence among all those rituals that could help much in scouting/spying/traveling.
You would also get 2 short-rest slots to use on Life Goodberries, Mirror Image, Fog Cloud or whatever else you like.
As for cantrips, you could still grab Booming Blade for fluff or extra single target damage then rack on thematic cantrips: Shape Water and Gust (you are a pirate after all? So being able to manipulate water and wind a bit should be useful ;), Message (make the ocean's wind transport your words), Thorns Whip (IF your DM accepts to refluff it as some special attack using a normal whip, putting aside the normal wielding rules), Control Flames (useful to help putting out fires on a ship right? ;)).
You could even go as far as level 5 to get the most interesting rituals (Leomund's Tiny Hut, Phantom Steed) in which case I'd suggest Fiend archetype -if you have at least 16 CHA- because you would end with Blindness, Command and Fireball.

Sorcerer
Storm Sorcerer would be also extremely fitting: just 4 levels would give you all the archetype features, a bunch of very useful spells (Shield, Magic Missile, Chromatic Orb, Mirror Image, Blindness, Feather Fall, Enhance Ability, Enlarge/Reduce, Invisibility) and Twin metamagic (so you can Twin Shield of Faith/Enhance Ability/Enlarge/Invisibility for example) along with any other (I'd go for Subtle so nobody suspects your piracy is magically fueled, but really any will be good except Heightened -too costly- and Quicken -idem, also you will probably have many uses for your bonus action already and not that many spell slots anyways-). A 5th level would net you Haste, and Twin Haste could be very tasty (be wary of concentration being broken early though). Going up to 7th would give you Polymorph and Greater Invisibility (which were potential spells of the "Bard way"). :)
My opinion is that what you lose in skills and Magic Secrets (Bard) is more than compensated by the fact you can draw more efficiency from any given slot by using Twin to buff both you and companion (or Distant to make a safe opening, or Careful to help your Crab without affecting it, or Subtle to wreak havoc in any situation without people understanding who is messing with them XD).

Druid
This one is much more special in terms of fluff so I won't expand too much. I just wanted to put it there in case the idea of leading an army of Giant Crabs was to your liking: Moon Druid 5-6, WildShaping as a Giant Crab even if it's technically underpowering you XD, after having upcast Conjure Animals as a 5th level spell to conjure up to 16 Giant Crabs (or even up to 32 if DM accepts to follow the spell logic and double the quantity for 1/8 CR creatures XD). More generally, Land Druid proposes many great spells for any solo adventurer, and you can change it every day. But there are some restrictions, including on armor, and maybe roleplay implications depending on your DM so not necessarily the best option.

Ranger
Well yes, let's not forget about your original class. In three levels you would get 3rd level spells including Conjure Animals and Lightning Arrows. At 11th level your Crab companion would get its own "Whirlwind Attack". It's up to you to see if you are interested in those, I guess you already thought about it but I still wanted to make a quick reminder.

Honestly all of these would be great options. I'd advise you to take the time to think about how you see your character in 6-7 levels, and in the meantime grab either Life Cleric immediately or just after grabbing Ranger's 7th for "beast advantage against saves" if you deem it useful.
Think about all those options, then make a short-list of the 5 things you REALLY want to be able to do in the end then choose the leveling path to get its. Sticking in a single class and getting it at a high level is as valid an option as making several small dips as long as you know where you want to end. ;)

Have fun ;)

Ferrell
2017-05-27, 10:49 AM
Thank you for all your feedback! You've all given me much to consider.

djreynolds
2017-05-28, 02:21 AM
What are you stats