PDA

View Full Version : Familiar Drifting -

Fouredged Sword
2017-05-26, 12:30 PM
Familiar drifting

Ok, so I was messing around with the rules and I think I have discovered an interesting twist on RAW that is both funny and useful.

So, you have a famliar. Get something like an Owl that can, under favorable conditions, drag 200lbs. Have a character who is under that weight. Gain a fly speed.

Now you can drift while your familiar drags you around the air each round. That adds up to 80ft of free movement each round as your familiar gets 2 move actions with a 40ft fly speed. You can also take two move actions with your own speed. This means you have an overland speed of 70 without hustling and can hustle on top of that. In combat you can move 80 ft and still make a full attack actions, useful for a glavelock with a familiar and fell flight.

And I argue that a object that hovers, completely supporting it's own weight without touching the ground, should qualify for the 10x max load conditions.

DeTess
2017-05-26, 12:35 PM
According to the rules, dragging an object means dragging it along the ground(see page 162 of the PHB). I don't think getting a flight speed removes that definition, but I might be wrong.

Edit: Nevermind, I thought you wanted to use this to gain a fly speed, but that isn't the case.

Fouredged Sword
2017-05-26, 12:48 PM
According to the rules, dragging an object means dragging it along the ground(see page 162 of the PHB). I don't think getting a flight speed removes that definition, but I might be wrong.

Edit: Nevermind, I thought you wanted to use this to gain a fly speed, but that isn't the case.

No, you need to be able to fly yourself, but what you DO gain is two free segments of movement each round.

daremetoidareyo
2017-05-26, 01:39 PM
Saved. This would be really helpful in the sky dwarves round of iron chef.

Fouredged Sword
2017-05-26, 01:42 PM
My question is twofold. Does this actually work and has anyone seen this exploit before?

Elkad
2017-05-26, 05:58 PM
Wait, how are you getting an Owl to drag 200lbs?

It has to be at light load to fly. Str:4 = 13lbs. Half weight allowance for size Tiny (6.5lbs). 32.5lbs at x5 drag, or 65lbs at 10x drag (favorable conditions).

I get where you are going though.

As DM, I'd probably argue that if you are flying with wings, you don't get favorable conditions (your act of hovering interferes with the tow, so x5 at best).
Levitate I might let work at x10 though.

But the difference between that and riding Tenser's Disk (which is following the familiar) is minimal.

Afgncaap5
2017-05-26, 06:13 PM
The obvious solution is to be able to boost an Owl's strength by 19 points.

Not really practical, of course, and it's way more fun if you can keep the Owl's strength at around 4, but still.

Lazymancer
2017-05-27, 07:08 AM
Not sure if that counts, but there is Unseen Servant + Levitate combo: up to 200 pounds can be moved at the breakneck speed of 5 ft./round (horizontally).

I considered stacking multiple spells (burning wand of Unseen Servants) for overcharged Overland Flight, but maximum speed can't exceed speed of Unseen Servants - which is 15 ft. (i.e. up to 30 ft./round). Long-distance travel with Boots of Levitation and 6 Unseen Servants (or Crafters) is possible, but speed will not exceed walking speed.

Though nothing prohibits you from going 24/7. Of course, unless you craft Sofa of Levitation, you'll be getting fatigue penalties (though, I'd rule reduced rate) - but even being unconscious will not stop you from being dragged forward.