PDA

View Full Version : Movies Worthwhile deleted scenes?

2D8HP
2017-05-26, 01:42 PM
Have you ever watched the "Deleted Scenes" that are "extra's" on a DVD and thought, that "The movie would be better with it"?

What film was it?

Rogar Demonblud
2017-05-26, 04:46 PM
The poster child for this is the Affleck Daredevil--it makes much more sense with the large amount of deleted scenes restored, which is why I always recommend the Director's Cut.

There's also one for Star Wars I, where Quigonn chops a probe droid in half. Not really important, but it does explain both why he and the kid are running for the spaceship and how Maul found them.

Vinyadan
2017-05-26, 05:25 PM
There was one in A knight's Tale that showed the red guy offering something to eat to the smith girl after they had found Chaucer sleeping with his wife. The smith girl then runs away. I found it interesting, because it was one case of secondary characters actually interacting among themselves that showed their lives beyond their support of the protagonist.

Of course, there would have been the problem of "where was his wife this whole time".

JustSomeGuy
2017-05-26, 05:34 PM
Oh ho ho! I put the deleted scenes on Conan (Arnold) the barbarian once, mainly because the music played throughout and it lasted ages. Anyway, the very last scene plays: it's the one where he is running from the dogs before climbing the rocky escapement and discovering the armour. So, he's running, running, jumps onto the rocks, and a dog catches him! Cue inimitable arnold-style "argghghh! Dammit!"

I may have misremembered it slightly, twas a fair few years back, but the gist is there.

Dragonexx
2017-05-26, 10:27 PM
The Padme scenes in episode 3 were good and would have added to the movie if they were restored.

Xihirli
2017-05-26, 11:09 PM
Jack Sparrow and Beckett scene. Pirates of the Caribbean 3.

I'm sure they could have cut something else for time.

Khedrac
2017-05-27, 02:21 AM
Aliens.
One of the parts of the film that doesn't make sense is how they go to sleep int he medial lab without much of a watch knowing the xenomorphs are out there trying to kill htem.

Two of the deleted scenes relate to sentry guns, the first showing that they have them and setting them up in the access tunnel that links the atmosphere plant to the outpost.
The second scene is them watching the telemetry from the sentry guns whilst they stop the xenomorph attempt to access the base through the tunnel - the only way in they know about. Thus, when they go to sleep, the characters actually know that the xenomorph attack was stopped, and they don't think there is another way in for them to use.
I still think a little more caution is called for (a second attempt would have overrun the guns immediately, I think they had 3 rounds left between them) but the film is better with those scenes added.

The other deleted scenes are not bad, but to me they are not as needed.

Gray Mage
2017-05-27, 10:29 AM
Jack Sparrow and Beckett scene. Pirates of the Caribbean 3.

I'm sure they could have cut something else for time.

Agreed. This scene changes a lot how you see Jack. It boggles my mind how they thought it could be cut.

Clertar
2017-05-27, 02:18 PM
Pirates of the Caribbean 3... Now where's the Scenes Worth Deleting thread?

digiman619
2017-05-27, 02:18 PM
The flashback in Peter Jackson's The Two Towers. The one where Boromir is talking with his father, Denethor. That one scene did more for the trilogy that any other in my opinion. It showed us what kind of man Boromir was before the Ring got to him; that if not for the Ring, he would have gone down as one of the great heroes of the age. It also showed Denethor's irrational hatred and dissapointment towards Faramir that would be expanded on in the final part. While the 3 hours of the expanded cut might be a bit to sit through, I feel this is the one thing they cut for the theatrical film that needed to be there and wasn't.

Beleriphon
2017-05-27, 03:38 PM
A substantial portion of Blade Runner. Also the final cut scene from T2: Judgement Day. It seems James Cameron always intended for a happy ending.

Sermil
2017-05-27, 03:40 PM
In 2005, Mel Brooks recorded a movie version (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Producers_(2005_film)) of his Broadway musical The Producers (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Producers_(musical)) (not the original 1968 movie The Producers (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Producers_(1968_film)), but the movie based on the musical based on the original movie -- got that?).

For some reason, they cut one of the best songs "King of Broadway" from the theatrical release. They had the whole thing choreographed and recorded and included it as a deleted scene on the DVD. I have no idea why they cut it, except maybe it had a few bad words and might have gotten them an R rating.

Random bonus anecdote:
A woman got onto the elevator, recognized Mel Brooks and said, 'I have to tell you, Mr. Brooks, that your movie is vulgar.' Brooks smiled benevolently. 'Lady,' he said, 'it rose below vulgarity.'"

tomandtish
2017-05-28, 10:44 PM
Aliens.
One of the parts of the film that doesn't make sense is how they go to sleep int he medial lab without much of a watch knowing the xenomorphs are out there trying to kill htem.

Two of the deleted scenes relate to sentry guns, the first showing that they have them and setting them up in the access tunnel that links the atmosphere plant to the outpost.
The second scene is them watching the telemetry from the sentry guns whilst they stop the xenomorph attempt to access the base through the tunnel - the only way in they know about. Thus, when they go to sleep, the characters actually know that the xenomorph attack was stopped, and they don't think there is another way in for them to use.
I still think a little more caution is called for (a second attempt would have overrun the guns immediately, I think they had 3 rounds left between them) but the film is better with those scenes added.

The other deleted scenes are not bad, but to me they are not as needed.

Along those lines, the cocooning scene in Alien. At the time they hadn't gone with queens, so this alien was able to lay eggs in hosts as well. A deleted scene (you can see it on DVD/blu-ray) shows that Dallas and Brett were cocooned and implanted.

To me that was always worse that the idea of a queen, if ANY of them could reproduce like that.

Chen
2017-05-29, 07:04 AM
Gladiator.

There's a scene where Proximo talks to Maximus about how you need to entertain the crowd and draw out your fights more rather than killing so quickly and efficiently. That's directly before the scene where he wipes out a whole bunch of gladiators, quickly and yells the "are you not entertained" to the audience. Without that first scene, Maximus just comes off as frustrated or angry, whereas with the explanation he's particularly sticking it to Proximo.

solidork
2017-05-29, 09:22 AM
The flashback in Peter Jackson's The Two Towers. The one where Boromir is talking with his father, Denethor. That one scene did more for the trilogy that any other in my opinion. It showed us what kind of man Boromir was before the Ring got to him; that if not for the Ring, he would have gone down as one of the great heroes of the age. It also showed Denethor's irrational hatred and dissapointment towards Faramir that would be expanded on in the final part. While the 3 hours of the expanded cut might be a bit to sit through, I feel this is the one thing they cut for the theatrical film that needed to be there and wasn't.

This. It also sets up an interesting "What if?" about if Faramir had gone to Rivendell in Boromir's place.

lt_murgen
2017-05-30, 01:51 PM
Aliens.....
Two of the deleted scenes relate to sentry gun....

+1 for this.

The flashback in Peter Jackson's The Two Towers. The one where Boromir is talking with his father, Denethor....

+1 for this.

Add in the scene where Boromir and Faramir talk, and it goes a long way towards explaining Faramir's knowledge in TT. It also vindicates Boromir, who comes across as kind of an ass in the first movie.

Rogar Demonblud
2017-05-30, 02:24 PM
Looking at the scathing reviews for Baywatch, I was reminded of one for Rock's other picture San Andreas.

There's a thirty second deleted scene fairly early on, after the dam collapse, where Rock and the maintenance guy are talking about the fact the depot won't bother to come fix the busted winch they'll be needing for search and rescue work on the Colorado River. Rock says he'll just fly the chopper to the depot himself, and makes vaguely threatening comment about the depot staff taking care of it right away.

This scene, which it took longer to recap or for you to read than to watch, explains why he's in the air, alone, when the earthquake hits. It sets up most of the action for the rest of his arc (and Gugino's). So why did they cut it?

Vogie
2017-06-01, 01:59 PM
A substantial portion of Blade Runner.

+1

The difference between the Theatrical Cut and the Director's Cut is STAGGERING. If you haven't seen it, watch the Director's Cut

danzibr
2017-06-01, 06:24 PM
Wowza. What a gem of a thread. Some of these I knew about and totally agree with, some I'll have to see for myself.

Chronicles of Riddick has a few deleted scenes, all with the same character. Some Furyan spirit guide chick. There's a rather important scene in the normal movie that when you see it you're like... what? Then the deleted scenes make it all clear.

JoshL
2017-06-01, 07:03 PM
It's been a while since I've watched them, but I recall the D&D movie having some deleted scenes and an alternate ending that wouldn't have made the movie GOOD, as such, but significantly better. In particular, the scene where they enter the scroll to get the quest, actually shows some character development on the part of the thief, and an ending where he says goodbye to his friend at his grave, and then walks away. Sort of poignant, rather than the presumed magic quest to bring him back to life. Wouldn't have saved the movie, but would have considerably improved it.

ben-zayb
2017-06-02, 01:52 AM
Does the original/alternate ending for I am Legend count? (ie. the one more in line with the source material) Not only would it be a more faithful adaptation, but it would also present a more interesting conclusion and more sensible movie title for me.