PDA

View Full Version : Character concept, need help building

Lehrling
2017-05-26, 03:46 PM
I have a concept for a non-magic human man named "Raemick Reinhardt" whose daughter was killed by a wizard. He dedicates himself to fighting wizards and ultimately finding a way to eliminate magic from the world.

He wields a quarterstaff (the same quarterstaff he tried defending his daughter with), so some hand-to-hand combat is needed.
In the story I'm writing, he gains time-travelling abilities and uses technology from the future to fight wizards in the present. Therefore, having time-related abilities (or something that can reflavored as such) would be awesome. Additionally, since technology is mostly a no-go in Pathfinder, I'm wanting to incorporate the Craft Alchemy skill. If we could do a combat-oriented Alchemist archetype, or an intelligence-based combat class, that would be ideal. For flavor purposes, morphing his body via mutagens to get claws and such doesn't really fit, although if a DM were to allow a reflavoring that could work.

Finally, for obvious reasons, his abilities cannot be magical or spell-like. Therefore, at-most, they need to be Supernatural. Preferrably Extraordinary.
I want to avoid magic and magical items if at all possible. He can justify using magic to a limited extent (to fight wizards), but hates to do so.

mabriss lethe
2017-05-26, 04:21 PM
Your go to sources should probably be Tome of Battle (for 3.5) or Path of War (for pathfinder). I'm not very well versed in pathfinder, but a brief look at the pfsrd tells me that Stalker sounds like a pretty good choice, thematically. They have the ability to access a discipline called Riven Hourglass, which seems to be ALL about time shenanigans.

Thurbane
2017-05-26, 08:58 PM
Crusader (ToB) 10/Occult Slayer (CW) 5/Witch Hunter (ToM) 5 (not in that exact order) might be a good basis. Mage Slayer line of feats (CArc) etc.

If you want a thematic or mechanical reason for the quarterstaff, maybe go Swordsage (ToB) instead of crusader, and take some Setting Sun maneuvers.

..the overwhelming advice you'll probably get is that you can't fight a caster without being a caster, but I feel the above build would be fairly true to your character concept.

Waker
2017-05-26, 11:13 PM
Is this for Pathfinder? If so you should include the tag in the topic title so people don't give 3.5 advice.
What sort of abilities does his future tech let him do? Is he the Million-Dollar Man or does he just have Batman's utility belt?
Off the top of my head I would suggest maybe looking at the Barbarian Rage powers, specifically the Spelleater line.

Thurbane
2017-05-26, 11:28 PM
Good point - I missed the Pathfinder references in the OP.

logic_error
2017-05-26, 11:45 PM
Destroying magic means going after the incarnation of the weave. Thus, if you actually plan like Batman and avoid attention, you can eventually get others to get to do it via exploiting their stupidity and/or ambition. Good luck. You are going to destroy the world as you know it in the process. But maybe it won't be so bad?

Tiri
2017-05-26, 11:47 PM
Destroying magic means going after the incarnation of the weave.

Only if he's playing in the Forgotten Realms.

logic_error
2017-05-27, 12:17 AM
Only if he's playing in the Forgotten Realms.

Or any other game world where a weave equivalent exists. In Eberron, I would go after fusing Aureon and the Shadow together, assuming (maybe even incorrectly within the story) that it ends magic.

Florian
2017-05-27, 04:45 AM
Thatīs probably one of the stupidest concepts in a high fantasy setting and using a game system that forces you to outfit your character with magic.

Ok, basically I see three options:

1) Occultist.

Psychic powers are definitely not considered to be magic and the class is centered on drawing power from items, memories and history.

2) Suspicious / Dreadnaught Barbarian.

A human (or dwarf) Barbarian with the right rage powers (Superstition, Spellsunder, Witchkiller) can engage most types of arcane casters on equal footing.

3) Hexenhammer Inquisitor.

This would expand the original concept a bit, but is very good at portraying someone who uses the tools of the enemy to hunt them down.

Besides that, Numeria is the source for high-tech weapons and gadgets in Golarion. Getting your hand on a Rocket Launcher, preferably one with a nuclear payload, and a combat chainsaw is hard but possible.

Now Iīve mentioned the dreadnaught archetype because it doesnīt interfere with any kind of casting. Psychic powers have some time-related spells, so itīd be possible to multiclass Barbarian and Psychic. (Psychics have access to Psi-Tech, powering numerian high-tech equipment and drawing power from it in turn)

Gruftzwerg
2017-05-27, 05:19 AM
VoP could be an option to further abound magic items for your rp background. But I doubt that it will help your goal to kill casters as mundane melee..

logic_error
2017-05-27, 05:27 AM
I think trying to directly combat magic wielders to defeat them would be a gigantic folly. it would immediately turn you to ashes or if you are even marginally successful turn everyone's attention to you. The best bet is to become cold and precise and become a super salesman. The one skill that no one has the defense against it Diplomacy. Just use that to ignite a war between magic wielding factions. Set divine magic users against arcane magic users by exploiting some political situation in action. Find abominations that create anti-magic stuff like in Faerun (what are they called again?) and set them free. Grab some popcorn and watch the world burn.

But seriously, the *best* way is to find the god of magic and slay him by assisting some other god/level 20 who wants to usurp that power. Become a lackey for such a mage and fuel his ambition to commit the ultimate error in judgment.

Karl Aegis
2017-05-27, 01:32 PM
Some guy killed someone close to me so now I must learn Kung Fu to defeat them!

That guy could be a Kung Fu master, wizard, drunken cowboy, ogre, dragon, fiend, munchkin, dwarf or any number of things. The solution, for some reason or another, is always to learn Kung Fu. You don't try to beat them at their own game, you don't try to be better than them, you just learn Kung Fu and try to destroy something. I never got this. Why not go for a classic "fight fire with fire" deal? Why always learn Kung Fu?

logic_error
2017-05-27, 01:42 PM
Some guy killed someone close to me so now I must learn Kung Fu to defeat them!

That guy could be a Kung Fu master, wizard, drunken cowboy, ogre, dragon, fiend, munchkin, dwarf or any number of things. The solution, for some reason or another, is always to learn Kung Fu. You don't try to beat them at their own game, you don't try to be better than them, you just learn Kung Fu and try to destroy something. I never got this. Why not go for a classic "fight fire with fire" deal? Why always learn Kung Fu?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6yjTsIQd00

Florian
2017-05-27, 01:48 PM
I never got this. Why not go for a classic "fight fire with fire" deal? Why always learn Kung Fu?

Itīs easier to fight against something and let yourself be defined by what you fight against, than fight for something.