PDA

View Full Version : How to get immune to Criticals

Person_Man
2007-08-02, 03:25 PM
The vast majority of PC deaths that I've observed or suffered through in my many years of playing D&D have come from two sources: spells and critical hits.

It's almost impossible to make yourself immune to the first problem, as a cagey DM can always think up new ways to bypass your defenses without specifically screwing your PC build. But its my opinion that with proper planning, critical hits can be fully overcome. Furthermore, being immune to critical hits makes you immune to many other common and often deadly effects; Precision damage, Stun, Massive Damage, Coup de Grace, etc. So its my opinion that gaining full immunity to critical hits should be a serious goal of any meat shield who doesn't want to give up character levels and his favorite 5,000 gp+ diamonds the next time an enemy gets lucky.

So, how can a PC become immune to Crits? Here's a list, in order of the ECL that a PC can attain them:

Necropolitan: Libris Mortis pg. 114: Lose one level and additional 1,000 XP. Gain the undead type. +1 LA, ECL 2.

Ghost (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/ghost.htm): The Ghost template makes you undead. Using the racial template class (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040117a), you can get this for only +1 LA (ECL 2). Otherwise, its +5 LA, making it unplayable for most situations. Be sure to die while holding a Ghost Touch weapon though, so that your attacks effect your enemies normally.

Formless Vest: Magic Item Compendium: 3200 gp. Lets you halve the damage suffered from a critical hit 1/day. Notable in that its probably the cheapest way to simply buy immunity from crits. But since it obviously only works once a day, its not a real long term solution for any melee build. ECL 3.

Volodni: Unapproachable East, pg 81: Plant people. +2 LA. ECL 3.

Living Undeath: Miniatures Handbook: ECL 3: 2nd level Cleric Spell that grants immunity to crits for 1 minute per level, but also -4 to Cha.

Amorphous Form: Spell Compendium: Ass/Sor/Wiz 3. ECL 5.

Warshaper: Complete Warrior: ECL 5 for a Wildshape Ranger or Shifter, ECL 7 for a Druid.

Improved Fortification feat: Monster Manual III, pg 192. Warforged only, and you give up the ability to be healed by normal healing spells. ECL 6.

Talisman of Undying Fortitude: Magic Item Compendium, 8000 gp: Makes you immune to a long list of effects, including critical hits, for three rounds 2/day as a swift action. Realistically, you won't be able to afford this until ECL 6ish.

Gaseous Form (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/spellsFtoG.html#gaseous-form): Grants you immunity to a lot of things for 2 minutes per level. Though sadly, you can't physically attack people, use any items, supernatural abilities, spell-like abilities, or do anything that requires a verbal, somatic, material, or focus component. If you can convince the party spellcaster to use this on you, its the perfect defense for many psionic builds. ECL 5.

Warforged Juggernaut: Eberron Campaign Setting: ECL 7

Plant Body: Spell Compendium: Dru 5. ECL 7.

Brotherhood of Equals: Complete Champion: The Obad-Hai ELF (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_Liberation_Front) organization. Join it, pay your dues (12,500 gp per year to get the full benefit), and do a lot of things that promote their cause. When you score enough affiliation points, you gain special abilities. They're all quite good, and the capstone ability allows you to be immune to critical hits once per day for 1 minute as an immediate action. But realistically, you'll need to be ECL 9ish or higher to get this, and it requires a heavy roleplaying aspect.

Plant Domain Devotion: Complete Champion: The generic version of the Brotherhood of Equals. Same basic requirements though. ECL 9ish.

Heart of Air+Heart of Water+Heart of Earth+Heart of Fire: Complete Mage. If you cast all four of these spells together, you gain 100% fortification. Although its a hefty number of spells to cast, it lasts 1 hour per level, and includes numerous other protections as well. ECL 9.

Heavy Fortification (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#fortification): 100% immunity at the cost of a +5 bonus to your armor or shield. A +1 Shield/Suit of Heavy Fortification costs more than 36,000 (and trust me, you're going to want it to be adamantine if its a shield, and probably mithral if its armor) so realistically you can't afford this until ECL 10ish or higher to get this.

Stone Body: Spell Compendium: Clr/Sor/Wiz 6. ECL 11.

Elemental Body: Spell Compendium: Sor/Wiz 7. ECL 13.

Bone Knight: Five Kingdoms: ECL 14.

Green Star Adept (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20041105a): Complete Arcane: ECL 14 for a Duskblade or Hexblade, ECL 15 for most other builds. But it eliminates your Con score, lacks full BAB, and only has half caster progression, so I'd skip it.

Elemental Savant: Complete Arcane pg 32: You gain the Elemental type. ECL 15.

Elemental Archon: Faiths and Pantheons pg. 191: You gain the elemental type. ECL 15.

Iron Body: Spell Compendium: Sor/Wiz 8. ECL 15.

Veil of Undeath: Spell Compendium: Clr/Sor/Wiz 8. ECL 15.

Lich (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20031212a): Become undead. ECL 15, including +4 LA, rendering it unplayable for most situations.

Strength of Stone : Tome of Battle stance. Ends if you move more then 5 feet.

Forest Master: Faiths and Pantheons pg. 193. Gain the plant type. ECL 17.

Waveservant: Faiths and Pantheons pg. 110. Your internal organs become like a jellyfish, granting you immunity to crits. ECL 17.

Talontar Blightlord: Unapproachable East pg. 34. Gain the plant type. ECL 17.

Plant Devotion (Domain) feat: Complete Champion: This feat grants you light fortification once per day as an immediate action, and you can burn Turn Undead uses to use it additional times. The level of fortification increases with your character level, up to 100% at 20th level. Although this is one of the most efficient ways to get immunity to crits, full fortification kicks in so late that its really not a viable option in my mind unless you're starting the campaign 20th level. And at that point, you're swimming in gold, so why waste a feat when you can just buy immunity?

Now I know that there are more possibilities out there. What am I missing? And does anyone have any favorite "unkillable" builds they'd like to share? (Word of advice, never present a new build to your DM and tell him that its unkillable. He'll take it as a challenge.)

Rachel Lorelei
2007-08-02, 03:27 PM
You can do it at level 5 as a changeling--take any full BAB class into the Warshaper prestige class. Originally meant for druids and doppelgangers and such, but Changelings do qualify.

Saph
2007-08-02, 04:09 PM
The Heart of X line of spells from Complete Mage will do the job. There are four of them: Heart of Air, Heart of Water, Heart of Earth, and Heart of Fire. Each has a 1 hour/level duration, and if you have all four up at the same time you gain immunity to crits and sneak attacks, as well as several other handy buffs.

Of course, the earliest you can get this is as a wizard, druid, or wu jen of 9th-level, and you'll have to recast them every day. So that's an option for a druid tank, but that's about it.

A more practical option for a core-only meatshield is the Moderate Fortification (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#fortification) ability. It only gives 75% protection against criticals instead of 100%, but it's only a +3 bonus instead of a +5. Combined with the +1 from the armour, that's a total cost of 16,000 gold instead of 36,000, which is much more affordable (and you can upgrade it later, too).

- Saph

Tellah
2007-08-02, 04:38 PM
The Necropolitan template from Libris Mortis is a far cry cheaper than any of the other undead solutions.

Aerlock
2007-08-02, 05:11 PM
This probably won't help you but, I came across a way to make yourself immune to both spells and critical hits (any hits at all to tell the truth). This is using Psionics and assuming the default magic/psionics transparency rules.

Start with Timeless Body (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/timelessBody.htm) and make a magic item from it.

It's a 9th level power.
Multiplied times Manifester level of 17 equals 153.
Multiplying that by 2000 for a continuous item equals 306,000.
Multiplying that by 4 because the power duration is in rounds (1) equals 1,224,000.
That gives you a ring of Timeless body that makes you totally immune to all harmful or helpful effects and attacks. All for a piddling little 1,224,000gp.

If you really wanted to get spend happy you could make it an un-slotted item for twice as much, so that'd be 2,448,000gp.

YMMV but for an epic game that could at least make for some interesting interactions.

Aerlock

Iku Rex
2007-08-02, 05:20 PM
Warforged with Improved Fortification feat (ECS).

Polymorph or shapechange into a creature type that's immune to crits.

Amorphous form (Ass/Sor/Wiz 3, SC), elemental body (Sor/Wiz 7, SC), plant body (Dru 5, SC), stone body (Clr/Sor/Wiz 6, SC), veil of undeath (Clr/Sor/Wiz 8, SC) or iron body (Sor/Wiz 8, SC) spells.

10th level elemental savant (CArc) becomes an elemental.

A formless vest (3200 gp, MIC) lets you halve the damage suffered from a critical hit 1/day.

A talisman of undying fortitude (8000 gp, MIC) makes you immune to a long list of effects, including critical hits, for three rounds 2/day as a swift action.

Knight_Of_Twilight
2007-08-02, 05:32 PM
Bone Knight from the Five Kingdoms Ebberon book will do it as well.

Rachel Lorelei
2007-08-02, 05:34 PM
This probably won't help you but, I came across a way to make yourself immune to both spells and critical hits (any hits at all to tell the truth). This is using Psionics and assuming the default magic/psionics transparency rules.

Start with Timeless Body (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/timelessBody.htm) and make a magic item from it.

It's a 9th level power.
Multiplying that by 4 because the power duration is in rounds (1) equals 1,224,000.
That gives you a ring of Timeless body that makes you totally immune to all harmful or helpful effects and attacks. All for a piddling little 1,224,000gp.

If you really wanted to get spend happy you could make it an un-slotted item for twice as much, so that'd be 2,448,000gp.

YMMV but for an epic game that could at least make for some interesting interactions.

Aerlock

Interesting? "I dispel/break your item and cut you so bad" isn't interesting...

MrNexx
2007-08-02, 10:56 PM
There's a prestige class in Faith's and Pantheons, the FR book, which turns you into a humanoid slime... immune to criticals.

Tor the Fallen
2007-08-02, 11:00 PM
Oozemaster gets some ooze traits too, don't he?

The artificer gets an infusion that turns you into a living construct. That grants what, light fortification?

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-08-03, 01:02 AM
Anything that gives you concealment makes you immune to SA/Crits, right? Cloak of Displacement FTW!

Tor the Fallen
2007-08-03, 01:03 AM
Anything that gives you concealment makes you immune to SA/Crits, right? Cloak of Displacement FTW!

I think concealment only prevents a rogue from sneak attacking you. A critical is a function of a die roll and the weapon used, not a class ability.

namo
2007-08-03, 01:25 AM
Search for Fortification on this page (http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=662842) (it mostly lists class abilities and feats, not items/templates/...).

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-08-03, 02:11 AM
Warforged have the Construct type, thus immune to critical hits...

Tor the Fallen
2007-08-03, 02:12 AM
Warforged have the Construct type, thus immune to critical hits...

Living construct. I think they only get fortification.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-08-03, 03:22 AM
Living construct. I think they only get fortification.

Don't they get a racial feat to improve it to Greater Fortification?

Pestlepup
2007-08-03, 05:35 AM
I'd skirt around the undead and construct solutions. Their lists of immunities are impressive, but it's too much of a trade for a tank to give up one's constitution score. Unless you're keen on some Corpsecrafter-enhanced Stalwart Sorcerer / Improved Toughness shenanigans, but your DM might pull the plug on that.

Though, now that I think about it, having some friendly necromancer (buffed with Corpsecrafter, Nimble Bones, Deadly Chill, etc. etc.) animate you as some critter might not be half bad. The Bone and Corpse creature templates from BoVD might work, if Necropolitans aren't allowed. Whatever gets around the loss on Con.

Fortification might be the safest bet, even with the hefty cost.

Keld Denar
2007-08-03, 07:15 AM
Hate to say it, but both Dread Necro and Pale Master give immunity to crits and sneak attack via undead traits. Dread Necro not until level 20, Pale Master much earlier, but is considered a ****ty class.

I think an ok tank would be something of a gish made with green star adept (DR 10/adamantine rules!) and abjurant champion. The only downside would be that BAB would suffer, but you'd be a juggernaught, and low BAB can be circumvented via Whirling Blade spell, Wraithstrike spell, and the Arcane Strike feat.

mostlyharmful
2007-08-03, 07:26 AM
there's a wondrous item in the Draconomicon, that they can just shove into their flesh and it provides various levels of fortification, I think the heavy fortification was about 50k GP. It would just require a house rule allowing non-Dragons (or at least non-whacking-great-huge things) to use a similar item, non-slotted and funky.:smallsmile:

Curmudgeon
2007-08-03, 11:47 AM
Anything that gives you concealment makes you immune to SA/Crits, right? Cloak of Displacement FTW! Tor the Fallen has already covered that concealment doesn't prevent critical hits. Let me add that the Cloak of Displacement doesn't provide concealment. It's based on the Displacement spell which provides the same miss chance as total concealment, but does not provide any actual concealment. You're 100% visible right out in the open -- just shifted 2'. Not concealed at all.

So a Cloak of Displacement won't
prevent critical hits
prevent sneak attacks
Other than that it's a perfectly fine garment. :smallsmile:

Curmudgeon
2007-08-03, 11:53 AM
there's a wondrous item in the Draconomicon, that they can just shove into their flesh and it provides various levels of fortification, I think the heavy fortification was about 50k GP. It would just require a house rule allowing non-Dragons (or at least non-whacking-great-huge things) to use a similar item, non-slotted and funky.:smallsmile: You're about 43% too high on the price of the Gemstone of Fortification, and way off on the house rule. Those without dragon blood just need a Limited Wish spell to affix the Gemstone in their flesh, as explained in the book. You can have an NPC caster do this for you by the standard "Spellcasting and Services" pricing in the Player's Handbook (page 129).

Arbitrarity
2007-08-03, 02:06 PM

It's a 9th level power.

Aerlock

Nooo... epic, so multiply price by a factor of 10. 12,240,000

For casters, I recommend sticking all the Heart of X's on. At higher levels, the animated buckler of heavy fortification isn't too bad either.

Aerlock
2007-08-03, 02:19 PM

For casters, I recommend sticking all the Heart of X's on. At higher levels, the animated buckler of heavy fortification isn't too bad either.

Only if the item grants a bonus above what a normal non-epic item could possibly grant.

Market Price

Use the guidelines for nonepic magic items to determine the market price of an epic magic item, with one addition: If the item gives a bonus beyond the limit allowed in for normal, nonepic magic items, multiply the portion of the market price derived from that characteristic by 10. Some epic characteristics, such as caster level, don’t trigger this multiplier.

And since this item doesn't grant any bonus it doesn't qualify for the epic price increase.

Interesting? "I dispel/break your item and cut you so bad" isn't interesting...

Thats why you make it a non-slotted item and then either swallow or surgically implant said item into your body.

Roderick_BR
2007-08-03, 02:21 PM
There's a cape in Book of Exalted Deeds, that makes you immune to normal attacks (and normal weapons are destroyed) and allows you to roll Reflex (DC14) to cut all magical damage in half.
Not completely useful against higher level rogues, but it's there. I don't remember the cost. 72,000 gp, I think

Emperor Tippy
2007-08-03, 02:23 PM

Nope. The multiplying by 10 only comes up if it has a non-epic variant that its improving on (+10 to a stat for example). Since there is no non-epic ring of timeless body you get to avoid the x10.

Arbitrarity
2007-08-03, 02:27 PM
Huh. Let's get that text?

Use the guidelines for nonepic magic items to determine the market price of an epic magic item, with one addition: If the item gives a bonus beyond the limit allowed in for normal, nonepic magic items, multiply the portion of the market price derived from that characteristic by 10. Some epic characteristics, such as caster level, don’t trigger this multiplier.

While not truly an artifact, the epic magic item is a creation of such power that it surpasses other magic items. Epic magic items are objects of great power and value. The following are typical characteristics of an epic magic item. In general, an item with even one of these characteristics is an epic magic item.

Grants a bonus on attacks or damage greater than +5.
Grants an enhancement bonus to armor higher than +5.
Has a special ability with a market price modifier greater than +5.
Grants an armor bonus of greater than +10 (not including magic armor’s enhancement bonus).
Grants a natural armor, deflection, or resistance bonus greater than +5.
Grants an enhancement bonus to an ability score greater than +6.
Grants an enhancement bonus on a skill check greater than +30.
Mimics a spell of an effective level higher than 9th.
Has a caster level above 20th.
Has a market price above 200,000 gp, not including material costs for armor or weapons, material component- or experience point-based costs, or additional value for intelligent items.

I disagree.

EDIT: Wait. Stupid literal text! "Gives a bonus beyond that" yada yada yada. Who designed this thing? Never mind.

Person_Man
2007-08-03, 03:18 PM
OK, I've updated the list to the best of my ability. If you have any further details to add please post them.

Here's what I've learned:

1) Light Fortification of some kind is actually quite common and cheap. However, I really don't trust Light Fortification. Would you trust 25% Evasion? So I'm only posting things that give you full immunity to Crits.

2) Wizards, Sorcerers, Clerics, and Druids have a pretty easy time getting immunity to crits via various spells and respectable prestige classes, some of which have full caster progression. There's really no excuse for a full caster to ever suffer from crits/stun/sneak attack/etc., unless you're targeted by Dispel Magic or something similar, and even then there are several PrC that grant you a new type that can't be dispelled.

3) Warforged and Shifters have a really easy time, though sadly they're Eberron specific.

4) Melee builds that aren't on Eberron, who need immunity to crits the most, have the hardest time getting it. In most cases, they just have to buy armor or a shield with Heavy Fortification.

5) Gaining the undead or construct type is a trap. You lose you Constitution score and bonus hit points, which means that your base hit points will suck rocks. If you want to transform your type, turn into an ooze or plant instead.

6) If you care about being consistently useful in combat, and/or you're playing in an optimized party, then don't make any build that depends upon Precision Damage. I know that they're really popular. I know that its usually the most straightforward way of optimizing a Skill Monkey. But there are just far too many things that are immune to Precision Damage. Beguilers, Factotum, and Psychic Rogues are just far more powerful and versatile.

PinkysBrain
2007-08-03, 03:45 PM
Warforged and Shifters aren't Eberron specific, they are in the MM3.

PS. isn't there some class option to do half sneak attack damage against crit immune creatures somewhere?

Person_Man
2007-08-03, 03:54 PM
Warforged and Shifters aren't Eberron specific, they are in the MM3.

Hmmmm. Now I just have to convince someone in my group of friends to allow them as a playable race.

Certainly not impossible. But not exactly from the Core+Complete+PHBII set of material that pretty much universally accepted.

PS. isn't there some class option to do half sneak attack damage against crit immune creatures somewhere?

Not that I'm aware of. There's a weapon gem thingy in the MIC that let's you deal 100% damage vs. constructs. And there's a variant Rogue feature that lets you deal 50% of your Sneak Attack vs. Undead. And there's a PrC in the Miniatures Handbook that grants you 100% Sneak Attack damage vs. Undead. They will certainly help most precision based builds a lot. But there are still a ton of different monsters, spells, and items that will render most Precision builds somewhat or entirely useless a lot of the time.

I'm not arguing that Precision builds are useless, or garbage, or unplayable. I'm just arguing that they're very unreliable.

Iku Rex
2007-08-03, 04:07 PM
Warforged and Shifters aren't Eberron specific, they are in the MM3.They're also in Races of Eberron, which, believe it or not, is not an Eberron specific book.

PS. isn't there some class option to do half sneak attack damage against crit immune creatures somewhere?Dungeonscape, only works when flanking. There's one in Complete Champion as well, only works against undead.

Spacefrog
2007-08-03, 04:11 PM
Warforged by default have light fortification (25% chance to negate a critical), but there's a feat and a prestige class from the Eberron handbook that both give immunity to criticals. In fact the Warforged Juggernaut prestige class gives immunity to a whole ton of things and is a pain in the ass for the DM (i.e. me).

Lords of Madness has a spell called Undulant Innards that makes you immune to critical hits for a few rounds. I suppose you could work out the price for a magical item that did it continuously.

JackMage666
2007-08-03, 04:25 PM
I've never played with a DM that would let a Warforged play, but we never played Eberron.
Noone's ever tried to play a Shifter, but we have had Changelings.

I think you could slip a Shifter or Changeling past most DMs, but Warforged are a bit harder due to their... unusual nature.

MrNexx
2007-08-03, 09:02 PM
There's a couple prestige classes in Faiths and Pantheons which have immune to criticals as their ultimate ability... Elemental Archon (eventually become an elemental), Forest Master (eventually become a plant), and Waveservant (eventually become a jellyfish). All are 3/4 BAB cleric-focused classes.

Curmudgeon
2007-08-03, 10:27 PM
They're also in Races of Eberron, which, believe it or not, is not an Eberron specific book. Huh? How does that work? :smallconfused:

Iku Rex
2007-08-03, 10:59 PM
What the books says:

The four races described in the EBERRON Campaign Setting - the subtle changelings, the introspective kalashtar, the feral shifters, and the mighty warforged - are all thoroughly described and fleshed out in this book, making them part of the core D&D experience in addition to preserving and accentuating the roles they play in the world of Eberron.
Why is Races of Eberron a core D&D supplement and not an Eberron-specific book? Changelings, kalashtar, shifters, and warforged are excellent additions to any D&D campaign, offering fun and unique play experiences and enriching any setting.

My memory isn't as clear as it could be, but if I recall correctly the book started out as an Eberron specific book (or at least it was one at some point in the development process), but then they changed it into a generic DnD book by ... changing the cover design.

Garatolla
2007-08-03, 11:08 PM
Well, my knowledge is sadly lacking, but a relatively cheap start on the road to avoiding criticals would be armour with ysgardian heart wire?

ThorFluff
2007-08-04, 03:33 AM
In lords of madness, there is a prestige class called "Flesh Warper" who can learn "Secret of the Gibbering Mouther" which makes you immune to the extra damage of crits.

Saph
2007-08-04, 06:32 AM
OK, I've updated the list to the best of my ability. If you have any further details to add please post them.

Here's what I've learned:

1) Light Fortification of some kind is actually quite common and cheap. However, I really don't trust Light Fortification. Would you trust 25% Evasion? So I'm only posting things that give you full immunity to Crits.

I still think medium fortification is a much better deal than heavy fortification. 16,000 for 75% immunity vs 36,000 for 100% immunity . . . is that extra 25% really worth waiting several extra levels for the gold?

Obviously if you're playing at level 13+ or whatever, then affording Heavy Fortification is no problem at all, but then you run into the issue that a) very few games go that far and b) at this level the problem with melee classes isn't getting critted, its being able to reach the enemies at all.

- Saph

AtomicKitKat
2007-08-04, 08:16 AM
Woodling template(MM3) grants most Plant traits, including Immunity to Crits, I think.

Along the same vein, Talontar Blightlord(Unapproachable East) probably does. Thrall of Zuggtmoy(Dragon 337) gives it as the capstone power.

Oozemaster and Thrall of Jubilex get immunity to Crits via Ooze type.

Elemental Savant grants you Elemental type, which also does the same. There's probably a couple of low-level Elemental creatures that can get this at ECL 5 and below.

Edit: Vermin Lord(BoVD) can form a Hivemind, so it could possibly gain Swarm subtype and thus ItC.

Edit 2: Vermin Lord is iffy(it says "counts as a single creature in the swarm", so it should work to gain the Swarm subtype), but Vermin Keeper(Underdark) and Master of Flies(Savage Species) both gain "Swarm Wild Shape", so they can't be hit with weapons for the most part, nevermind criticals.

MrNexx
2007-08-06, 09:21 PM
There's also a race in Unapproachable East, the Volodni, who are plants, and therefore immune to criticals. I believe at least one PrC in that book also turns you into a plant, as the Blightspawned template.

AtomicKitKat
2007-08-06, 11:25 PM
There's also a race in Unapproachable East, the Volodni, who are plants, and therefore immune to criticals. I believe at least one PrC in that book also turns you into a plant, as the Blightspawned template.

Can't believe I forgot Volodni. Blightspawned template is your companion. Otherwise, it's the Winterheart class ability from Talontar Blightlord, Unapproachable East. That turns you plant.:smallcool:

Actana
2007-08-07, 01:26 PM
There is the Strength of Stone stance in ToB. 8th level stance gives you immunity to critical hits. But it ends if you move more than 5 feet.

Benejeseret
2007-08-07, 09:42 PM
I'd say use the Gheden template:

Gheden
(one parent was a mindless
undead, usually due to the
tinkering of a Necromancer)
(DR313 p63)

Only +1 Lvl offset.

Huge bonuses for a tank including the endurance, toughness, and Diehard feats for free.

50% fort (50% crit immunity) and 100% immune to massive damage.

Also immune to fear/confusion/stunning/non-lethal/energy drain and +2 saving throws against paralysis/poison/disease so this warrior does not flee battle and basically needs to be killed to -10hp to stop him.

Drawbacks include being affected by Turn Undead/and lots of stat losses (but +4 strength so again a good fighter/barb)

Apply this to a dwarf base race and offset the Con loss.

Bene