PDA

View Full Version : Antimagic Field

Biggstick
2017-05-26, 06:33 PM
So in just randomly scrolling through spells, I came across the Antimagic Field spell. Now this isn't a spell that I normally see in play, or ever really, as I've never been that high of a level with a Wizard or Cleric in the game. But I'm trying to find interesting uses of the spell, as one of my two favorite classes is Cleric, and I'd love to see it in action. For those who don't have it in front of them, here is the spell's specifics.

Antimagic Field
8th-level abjuration
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Self (10-foot-radius sphere)
Components: V, S, M (a pinch of powdered iron oriron filings)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 hour

A 10-foot-radius invisible sphere of antimagic surrounds you. This area is divorced from the magical energy that suffuses the multiverse. Within the sphere, spells can’t be cast, summoned creatures disappear, and even magic items become mundane. Until the spell ends, the sphere moves with you, centered on you. Spells and other magical effects, except those created by an artifact or a deity, are suppressed in the sphere and can’t protrude into it. A slot expended to cast a suppressed spell is consumed. While an effect is suppressed, it doesn’t function, but the time it spends suppressed counts against its duration.

Targeted Effects. Spells and other magical effects, such as magic missile and charm person , that target a creature or an object in the sphere have no effect on that target.

Areas of Magic. The area of another spell or magical effect, such as fireball,can’t extend into the sphere. If the sphere overlaps an area of magic, the part of the area that is covered by the sphere is suppressed.For example, the flames created by a wall of fire are suppressed within the sphere, creating a gap in the wall if the overlap is large enough.

Spells. Any active spell or other magical effect on a creature or an object in the sphere is suppressed while the creature or object is in it.

Magic Items. The properties and powers of magic items are suppressed in the sphere. For example, a + 1 longsword in the sphere functions as a nonmagical longsword.A magic weapon’s properties and powers are suppressed if it is used against a target in the sphere or wielded by an attacker in the sphere. If a magic weapon or a piece of magic ammunition fully leaves the sphere (for example, if you fire a magic arrow or throw a magic spear at a target outside the sphere), the magic of the item ceases to be suppressed as soon as it exits.

Magical Travel. Teleportation and planar travel fail to work in the sphere, whether the sphere is the destination or the departure point for such magical travel. A portal to another location, world, or plane of existence, as well as an opening to an extra dimensional space such as that created by the rope trick spell, temporarily closes while in the sphere.

Creatures and Objects. A creature or object summoned or created by magic temporarily winks out of existence in the sphere. Such a creature instantly reappears once the space the creature occupied is no longer within the sphere.

Dispel Magic. Spells and magical effects such as dispel magic have no effect on the sphere. Likewise, the spheres created by different antimagic field spells don’t nullify each other.
So one spell that I hadn't really seen a good way to deal with was Forcecage. This is a no-save spell that can pretty effectively lock down pretty much anyone from 100' away. Here are the spell specifics if you don't have it in front of you.

Forcecage
7th-level evocation
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 100 feet
Components: V, S, M (ruby dust worth 1,500 gp)
Duration: 1 hour

An immobile, invisible, cube-shaped prison composed of magical force springs into existence around an area you choose within range. The prison can be a cage or a solid box, as you choose.A prison in the shape of a cage can be up to 20 feet on a side and is made from 1/2-inch diameter bars spaced 1/2 inch apart.A prison in the shape of a box can be up to 10 feet on a side, creating a solid barrier that prevents any matter from passing through it and blocking any spells cast into or out from the area.

When you cast the spell, any creature that is completely inside the cage's area is trapped. Creatures only partially within the area, or those too large to fit
inside the area, are pushed away from the center of the area until they are completely outside the area.

A creature inside the cage can ’t leave it by nonmagical means. If the creature tries to use teleportation or interplanar travel to leave the cage, it must first make a Charisma saving throw. On a success, the creature can use that magic to exit the cage. On a failure, the creature can't exit the cage and wastes the use o f the spell or effect. The cage also extends into the Ethereal Plane,
blocking ethereal travel.

This spell can’t be dispelled by dispel magic.
The spell is one that can really lock folks down. What I'm looking for an opinion on, is whether Antimagic Field negates the cage from Forcecage and allows whoever is inside to simply walk out. To me, it seems like it should, but I'm curious what the rest of the Playground thinks.

What are some other cool uses any of you might have seen with Antimagic Field? This is a spell I'd love to see some interesting strategies based on or around.

Corran
2017-05-26, 07:06 PM
I think antimagic field supresses wall of force in areas they overlap (just like it describes in thecase of the wall if fire spell).

As for how to use it.... I am wondering if you can shape a forcecage in a way to fit perfectly inside it the antimagic field. A bladesinger with a fighter dip (for action surge) would be able to do that in one turn, so that would be a very good way to kill an enemy that relies a lot on spellcasting power. The bladesinger just stays in the middle of the forcecage so that the antimagic field fits the forcecage perfectly (assuming this can be done) and shoots from a bow, reverting to melee if the enemy decides to engage him. Have some allies be inside to provide some help.

Edit: Airships work with magic, right? Have someone with innate flight and with access to antimagic field approach said airship and cause it to go down? Or at the very least lose some altitude? (that's the most ''creative'' use I can think of atm)