PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Flying Mounts

VoxRationis
2017-05-26, 10:10 PM
Flying is much more fun than walking. You can see more, you generally move faster, you ignore rough terrain as well as things like walls and canyons, and you can disengage from landbound enemies with ease. So I'm incorporating lots of flying in my next campaign setting. Here's my question: What fantastical or not-quite-fantastical flying mounts do you favor? (If you answer "dragons," please provide a second option as well; I suspect dragons will be quite popular and I already intend on including them.) System isn't terribly important for this.

Mith
2017-05-26, 10:36 PM
Serious answer: Griffions because they eat horses to add insult to grevious injury to any mount comparison to horses and griffions.

Funny Answer: Flying Polar Bear. Granted, the only way this really works in my head is if the Bear more air walked more than flew with wings simply because there won,t be a whole lot of room for you at that point.

Quertus
2017-05-27, 03:42 PM
A dragon.

Zombie Dragons. Nothing says fail like falling out of the sky every time your mount breaths.

A dragon skeleton, with hang glider style wings.

Clockwork dragon / dragon effigy.

A giant stone fortress in the shape of a dragon.

Half dragon hydra.

Illusory dragon (wizard flies under his own power).

A giant dragonfly.

Bubbles, ala Glenda, the good witch.

A swarm of butterflies.

An enormous (fiery, or otherwise thematic) holy symbol.

A creature of your own creation.

Held aloft by dozens of overworked pixies.

A tentacled mass with no visible reason why it should fly.

A gas spore.

A beholder.

The simulacrum of your defeated foe, Bahamut / Tiamat / Gabriel / Lucifer / whatever iconic creature your campaign features.

The party wizard.

A hot air balloon.

A spelljammer ship.

Most of these are things I've done or seen done in my games.

noob
2017-05-27, 03:48 PM
A mighty magical disk made of pure force?

Mastikator
2017-05-27, 04:33 PM
Does jetpack count as a flying mount?

Starshade
2017-05-27, 05:53 PM
any system?
Magical:
the D20 Call of Cthulhu had Byahkees, they are nice flying steeds, since they can cross time and space :smallbiggrin:
As a bonus, there was 2. edition AD&D rules for byahkee PCs somewhere, I think. I believe I remember a Dragon mag where a dwarf sat and talked in a bar, drinking (common) beer with one. The article had ideas for where to put them, even (don't have that magazine, its a long time since...).
Animal:
Qetzalcoatlus is a big pterosaur, I think its a 5E D&D version of it.

halfeye
2017-05-27, 06:06 PM
A Spitfire. :smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

Amazon
2017-05-27, 06:26 PM
A flying carriage pulled by kitties.:smallamused:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-WGCZLpUiSZw/TxTRhhqKa1I/AAAAAAAAR2o/wgyrVjt9fd8/s1600/04_DonnPCrane_Frey-GodOfSunshine_100.jpg

Pugwampy
2017-05-27, 06:34 PM
My underground halforc city hub has Dire Bats to rent .

I am toying with the idea of having giant butterflies for my fairy city hub town .

Quertus
2017-05-27, 07:12 PM
I've remembered some more:

A nightmare.

A cloud.

The hopes and dreams of all mankind.

A sword.

An undead winged unicorn.

A pair of taking pegasi that were totally not Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash.

A flying fish.

A flying whale.

A flying carpet.

A flying pumpkin.

A strange helicopter-like contraption on the back of what amounted to a lawn chair.

An air elemental.

An advanced HD Efreet simulacrum. Actually, a pair of them - still useful after they granted a +5 inherent bonus to all stats.

A giant fly.

A ghost dragon.

An Otiluke's Telekinetic Sphere.

Something that looked like a flying jellyfish (I'm guessing it was some form of Beholder kin).

A flying broom.

A flying giant card (via a Deck of Many Things)

A giant bat.

The TARDIS.

A simulacrum of Superman.

A Phoenix.

A winged (half-dragon?) Troll.

Several flying constructs, including a Maug and a Warforged.

A giant animated paper crane.

A flying saucer. Complete with flying tea cup.

But my favorite means of achieving flight? Probably the artifact Green Lantern Ring a DM mistakenly gave me.

Potato_Priest
2017-05-28, 01:11 AM
I like hippogriffs. I recall them being herbivores, so you don't have to spend a ton on meat, and they are just as good as a griffon for most everything.

Natediggadoggit
2017-05-28, 10:31 PM
You could go with a reference from the Enchanted Forest Chronicles and add enchantments to a rabbit until it becomes a giant sky-blue levitating donkey with wings.

My favorite mount in recent fiction was Butterflyasaurus from Monsters vs Aliens

But I mostly loved the idea above:
Held aloft by dozens of overworked pixies

Vitruviansquid
2017-05-28, 10:39 PM
Gryphons are part eagle, the strongest predator of the sky, and part lion, the strongest predator of the land.

So can I get a flying mount that is the combination of eagle, lion, and also shark? Can we just throw in a shark part somewhere?

halfeye
2017-05-29, 12:50 PM
Gryphons are part eagle, the strongest predator of the sky, and part lion, the strongest predator of the land.

So can I get a flying mount that is the combination of eagle, lion, and also shark? Can we just throw in a shark part somewhere?

How does the player breath when it dives?

As an afterthought, what about orcas?

http://www.sharkattacknews.org/2013/11/hd-video-orca-kills-great-white-30.html

A point of interest not mentioned in the video is that following the attack, all the great whites disappeared from the area.

I'm not sure it's not the same attack, but I read of great whites fleeing orcas before.

Lvl 2 Expert
2017-05-29, 01:51 PM
A hoverboard.

Faily
2017-05-29, 02:03 PM
Pegasus.

Good enough for Perseus and Bellerophon, good enough for me!

Honest Tiefling
2017-05-29, 02:39 PM
Asperi from DnD. I think it might be the closest thing you can get to a Hover-horse since it can well...Hover. Also, you can cast spells easily off of it. All of you can keep your bumpy rides, I want something that flies so smoothly I can fall asleep on it.

Mr. E
2017-05-29, 02:54 PM
Dragons...

More seriously, I'm in favour of an airship. Practical, comfortable (you can have a proper room with furniture, not just a saddle) and you can fly higher than most other mounts. Pressurise it to fully enhance this line of thought. If you're just looking for a single person mount, maybe a magic carpet (again, it is the most comfy model).

Starbuck_II
2017-05-29, 08:38 PM
Hippo with wings would be my favorite. No one messes with a Hippo.

RatElemental
2017-05-29, 09:50 PM
I'm gonna go with Robot Dracula (https://collegeinfogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Kickass.gif).

Inspector Valin
2017-05-30, 02:52 AM
Oh come on! How has no one else said Giant Owls yet? ^^ All these other ideas are serviceable, but a giant owl is just frecking cool and classy!

Honest Tiefling
2017-05-30, 02:12 PM
Oh come on! How has no one else said Giant Owls yet? ^^ All these other ideas are serviceable, but a giant owl is just frecking cool and classy!

Have you seen an owl fly into a window or create an owl pellet? Yeah, those things aren't always dignified and rarely smart.

Lord Torath
2017-05-30, 02:21 PM
How about a non-winged, flying tiger? (Shadowrun Ally spirit with tiger form, strong enough to carry its summoner).

Honest Tiefling
2017-05-30, 02:23 PM
How about a non-winged, flying tiger? (Shadowrun Ally spirit with tiger form, strong enough to carry its summoner).

I do have to ask, how do you park this thing? I thought Shadowrun took place in cities, and the issue with cities is that they have children, which tigers assume are a part of their diet. Or do spirits just not eat? In which case, what is the point of a flying mount if you can't try to have it poop on people and places you don't like?

Lord Torath
2017-05-30, 04:05 PM
I do have to ask, how do you park this thing? I thought Shadowrun took place in cities, and the issue with cities is that they have children, which tigers assume are a part of their diet. Or do spirits just not eat? In which case, what is the point of a flying mount if you can't try to have it poop on people and places you don't like?A couple of easy options available to most Ally Spirits: take an alternate form (said tiger could also appear as a house-cat with tiger coloration, and as a human, all three forms being chosen by the mage at the time the ally spirit was summoned), or go astral - the Shadowrun equivalent of the Ethereal plane in D&D - where it can keep an eye out for astral threats. Also, you are correct in that spirits do not need to eat. The children of the Sprawl are safe. Well, safe from my flying tiger, at any rate.

Also, which is more satisfying: Having your flying mount poop on their face :smallsmile:, or having your tiger go astral, enter their mansion, manifest in kitten form, blast them with a stun bolt, change to human form, unlock the front door and disable the security, and then sneaking in yourself and draining their bank account? :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

JAL_1138
2017-05-31, 08:29 AM
Carpet of Flying or Broom of Flying. No upkeep, aside from a bit of cleaning with Prestidigitation once in a while.

And the flying carpet gives my bard the perfect excuse to bust out some Steppenwolf.

Zen
2017-05-31, 10:49 AM

I second the non-winged flying tiger!

https://media.giphy.com/media/MYEIV7Fqlr0Fq/giphy.gif

GungHo
2017-06-06, 09:49 AM
I don't like things I gotta feed, so carpets, brooms, wing-suits/harnesses, jetpacks (fuel isn't really food), power/magitech armor (which may incorporate jetpacks or wing harnesses). Superman-ing it or polymorphing and being the flying mount is okay too.

Segev
2017-06-06, 10:01 AM
Ki-Rin are nice.
So are Nightmares (if you've got them controlled well enough that they don't drop you off in the Lower Planes and abandon you).

Of course, the most magnificent horse in the universe gallops at FTL on a magical rainbow, so...

Quertus
2017-06-07, 08:32 AM
(fuel isn't really food), power/magitech armor

So, my niece's first conversation was with me. My sister just thought she was making random sounds; turns out, even while driving, I was able to tell that she was actually making poorly formed words, stuck together in poorly formed sentences. Part of that first conversation was about me stopping to get gas, because the car was "hungry" and needed "food".

Thank you for reminding me of that happy memory.

I like the armor concept. I'm surprised I can't remember ever seeing it in any of the D&D games I've played.

Creyzi4j
2017-06-14, 09:36 AM
A Spelljammer

eru001
2017-06-14, 09:46 AM
A P-47

or A P-38

very very frightening

goto124
2017-06-15, 11:06 AM
Giant, or just large, birbs.

How does the player breath when it dives?

Cast Underwater Breathing. Quickly.

Lvl 2 Expert
2017-06-15, 11:19 AM
A P-47

or A P-38

very very frightening

Or a P-51 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrlfjiZO2dc)?

(A pretty bad movie, but with some well done bits here and there for the real genre fans.)

eru001
2017-06-15, 01:11 PM
Or a P-51 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrlfjiZO2dc)?

(A pretty bad movie, but with some well done bits here and there for the real genre fans.)

Fair but the P-51 Mustang would ruin the joke.

Necroticplague
2017-06-15, 06:42 PM
I've always been partial to giant insects from the bee/hornet/wasp category. Loud as heck, but they convenience of good maneuverability, and can wall climb, both good for more cramped environs.

Lord Torath
2017-06-16, 07:36 AM
A The SpelljammerFixed that for you! :smallwink:

Actually, The Spelljammer would not really be my choice. Sure, it's big enough, but look at the location complications. A Smalljammer, sure. Or a Dragonfly or an Elven Cutter (20-ton Man-O-War). The Vipership or the Hummingbird would also be solid choices. Which ship would you pick?

AceOfFools
2017-06-16, 03:12 PM
I've always been partial to riding on a pheonix*. Right up there with dragons for pure badass factor.

*Fire resistance may be required.

eru001
2017-06-19, 11:16 AM
multiple pigs, because my characters have a tendency do (or at least attempt) the impossible.