PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Creative input requested

Nupo
2017-05-27, 09:18 AM
The campaign I am DM'ing started at first level with the PC's rescuing their family members from slavers. They discovered they were going to be sold at a slave auction in a few weeks, and needed to raise money so they could buy them. Some of the party (the good aligned ones) wanted to also raise enough money to buy the rest of the members of their village that were also taken. They got a lead on a hobgoblin pirate base. They ended up taking out several hobgoblin bases, and even acquired a small sailing ship. Attended the auction and bought back all their family members, and even a few members of their village.

Also at the auction there was a well dressed "human" buying up a lot of the cheeper, less desirable slaves. I didn't spend much time with him other than that he was bidding against them on some of their family members, and that he looked like Christopher Lee. After the auction they returned those they rescued to their homes, and then took out another hobgoblin pirate base, just for fun. They are now working on a hobgoblin crypt that will take a few sessions.

They mentioned they want to go into the business of capturing exotic animals and selling them at the monthly auctions (the auction sold exotic animals as well as slaves). Several of them even took ranks in handle animal.

The "Christopher Lee" guy is actually a Zern (MMIV) using Shifting Guise to look like a human. He has his own small island where he takes the slaves and animals he acquires at the auctions, and transforms them into twisted deformed beings. Think Island of Doctor Moreau. I plan to have him hire the party to acquire specific exotic animals for him. I have the meet set up. They have a hobgoblin sarcophagus on consignment at a shop, and I was going to have the Zern be a potential buyer. I plan to run a few sessions where they acquire exotic animals for him, but plan to have him ask for increasingly objectionable things. Things that will push their morals. The party is a mix of good and neutral aligned characters. I will start with easy things like cute baby animals, but escalate to sentient beings, like orcs and such. I want to get the players to a point where they refuse. I want them to at first think the Zern is just a non-evil human, but in time get glimpses of how truly evil he is. The Zern takes care to keep his island base secret. He will give them a homing pigeon when he hires them, instructing them to release it when they have something for him. He will meet them three days later at the city where the slave auctions are held. They will make the delivery, and he will give them a fresh pigeon. With some investigation the PC's could find the island, but I doubt they will try because there would be no reason to at this point.

This is where could use some creative input.

• I need things that he could ask them to acquire that push their morals, but not so much that they will refuse.

• I also need ideas for things he could ask for that they will refuse. I had the idea of a pregnant human female, but could use more ideas. Maybe even something more extreme.

• When they eventually refuse to get something (if we get that far and don't get sidetracked on some other adventure) I would like it to lead to something more exciting than the Zern just saying "Fine, I'll just find someone else." Well he could say that, but I want it to lead to something more. The characters probably won't know about his island at this point, but I'd like for them to eventually find it. What could the Zern do that would make the PC's want to find his island?

Most of the PC's are third level, and will probably be fourth level by the time they finish up with the hobgoblin crypt. I could have them acquire exotic animals for a while and level up even further before things come to a head, or not. We do level up slower than the recommended every 13.3 encounters so they aren't going to be 10+ level unless I really string thing out, fifth or sixth would probably me more likely.

I'm open to any creative ideas.

DeTess
2017-05-27, 09:34 AM
In the morally questionable department, how about a request for some live specimens of the typical "always-evil"sentient races (orcs/goblins/etc.)? It would be interesting if they agree, and then get called slavers or whatever by a member of one of these races. This could lead to an interesting "What have we become?" moment.

Regarding the Zern's reaction to refusal, I do think you want to be careful with having the creature go after them too much, unless there's something really special about the PC's that would make them irreplaceable to his plans (It's always odd when a villain seems hellbent on getting the players to do something for him, if there are simpler options available elsewhere).
Depending on what the rest of your plans are, you could even leave the Zern plot-line dangling for a bit after they part ways, and then have them pick it up again after an encounter with one of his abominations. Maybe he sells them to bored nobles looking for an interesting creature for Arena fights, or maybe he was planning on using them all along for some other nefarious scheme, or maybe a creature that was made from part supplied by the PC's escapes, and hunts them down.

Matrota
2017-05-27, 09:34 AM
In my experience, people usually get attached to cute animals or animals that take a liking to them. Have the Zern request a few dogs that immediately love your adventurers and whimper when they have to leave them behind.

Nupo
2017-05-27, 10:38 AM
In the morally questionable department, how about a request for some live specimens of the typical "always-evil"sentient races (orcs/goblins/etc.)? It would be interesting if they agree, and then get called slavers or whatever by a member of one of these races. This could lead to an interesting "What have we become?" moment.I like it. Definitely will have to work that in.

Regarding the Zern's reaction to refusal, I do think you want to be careful with having the creature go after them too much, unless there's something really special about the PC's that would make them irreplaceable to his plans (It's always odd when a villain seems hellbent on getting the players to do something for him, if there are simpler options available elsewhere).Yea, that's kind of where I was struggling to. The Zern is just using them as a handy way to get specific things he wants rather than hopping they show up at the auction.

Depending on what the rest of your plans are, you could even leave the Zern plot-line dangling for a bit after they part ways, and then have them pick it up again after an encounter with one of his abominations. Maybe he sells them to bored nobles looking for an interesting creature for Arena fights, or maybe he was planning on using them all along for some other nefarious scheme, or maybe a creature that was made from part supplied by the PC's escapes, and hunts them down.I have no problem letting things marinate for a while. Had an evil Cleric plot that took almost two years real time to develop in a campaign I DM'ed about ten years ago. The idea of having one of the creations escape and seek revenge is intriguing. That could be fun.

Thanks for the ideas.

Nupo
2017-05-27, 10:40 AM
In my experience, people usually get attached to cute animals or animals that take a liking to them. Have the Zern request a few dogs that immediately love your adventurers and whimper when they have to leave them behind.Great Idea! My wife's character will definitely bite on that. Some of the others not so much, but that's OK.

Hackulator
2017-05-27, 02:44 PM
First off, have the Zern hint that he is doing important work that is in some way philanthropic, ie the D&D equivalent of medical research. When they refuse, have him tell them that he needs the samples and he prefers to work through them because he trusts them to get things done with minimal collateral damage. If they refuse him, he'll just have to use agents with fewer morals and more innocent people will likely be hurt. He regrets this, but for the greater good his work is too important to abandon.

As for WHY he wants the party in particular, as an evil character who enjoys twisting creatures to his will, it seems perfectly reasonable that he would enjoy trying to twist the party morally just like he twists the creatures they obtain for him physically.

As for the progression of things he requests, cute animals -> sentient evil race adults -> sentient evil race children -> humans, but specified that he's fine with murderers or other evil people -> women/children etc

Manyasone
2017-05-27, 03:35 PM
What I find absolutely hilarious that instead of taking it out on the slavers they took it out on innocent hobgoblins. I mean, come on...

Celestia
2017-05-27, 03:52 PM
A baby unicorn. Or a flumph. Really, any always good creature would work.

...Is there artwork for a baby flumph anywhere? I bet that would be adorable. :3

Matrota
2017-05-27, 08:18 PM
...Is there artwork for a baby flumph anywhere? I bet that would be adorable.

Couldn't find any but I doodled one for you (https://imgur.com/gallery/piWDD). Camera quality is kinda poor tho

mabriss lethe
2017-05-27, 08:46 PM
When it comes to sentient beings, your villain could outright lie about why he needs them. He could "Dabble in many exotic trades." including bounty hunting. He can experiment on bandits and the like all he wants and no one will really miss them. He could simply tell the party that he acts as a middleman for various principalities, acquiring trade goods as well as slaves for other interested parties alongside other services, such as subcontracting bounties. (anything that turns a profit, really) it could even be the truth. The cost of his research may in some ways outstrip his means. He really does run a network that handles all sorts of legit, semi legit, and downright shady tasks as a way to keep the lights on and the larder stocked. He also "skims off the top", taking useful bounties, animals, and slaves for his own use.

Nupo
2017-05-28, 08:42 AM
As for WHY he wants the party in particular, as an evil character who enjoys twisting creatures to his will, it seems perfectly reasonable that he would enjoy trying to twist the party morally just like he twists the creatures they obtain for him physically.Good idea. I will see how the relationship between the party and the Zern develops over time, and take your suggestion into account when role playing the Zern.

As for the progression of things he requests, cute animals -> sentient evil race adults -> sentient evil race children -> humans, but specified that he's fine with murderers or other evil people -> women/children etcI like it, but think I will add not cute animals at the beginning to get things started.

What I find absolutely hilarious that instead of taking it out on the slavers they took it out on innocent hobgoblins. I mean, come on...I was a little surprised at this as well. The slavers ship was in port one time they were there. They sized it up and decided it was beyond their ability to take on. I may have them encounter it again down the road. Maybe even tie it in to the Zern plot somehow.

A baby unicorn.I like it.

He really does run a network that handles all sorts of legit, semi legit, and downright shady tasks as a way to keep the lights on and the larder stocked. He also "skims off the top", taking useful bounties, animals, and slaves for his own use.Good idea. I had just planned on having the Zern live off a stock of wealth he had previously accumulated, but given what he is doing, he could burn through quite a lot of cash. It would also let the PC's have more interaction with things he has a hand in. He could be tied in with lots of things behind the scenes.