PDA

View Full Version : To make a wererogue (3.5)

flappeercraft
2017-05-27, 12:04 PM
So in a thread I made a couple of days ago, someone asked for me to make a were-rogue, of all things. How exactly would one do that. No need to be an actual lycanthrope just needs to fit the fluff

(in attempts to avoid unintentional racism I have changed this post as the original concept given on the other thread was racist so I'll just change this to the next closest thing)

Technetium43
2017-05-27, 12:09 PM
So... I'm not sure if you realize this, but this is ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUSLY RACIST. Like oh my God so racist. Not only is that sort of generalization a incredible systemic problem in much of europe, but gypsy is also considered a slur by many Romani.

flappeercraft
2017-05-27, 12:10 PM
Ok, I was not aware of that it was a racial slur. I'll just change the OP

afroakuma
2017-05-27, 12:14 PM
...that doesn't in any way address that the foundational premise is incredibly racist. I would recommend you walk away from this one.

Waker
2017-05-27, 12:15 PM
Yeah, that is rather racist.
That aside, your problem could probably be solved with a curse that creates a separate identity for a creature that only comes out when certain parameters have been met, like a full moon in the case of lycanthropy. You could go with the simple approach and have the curse act as a short-term Helm of Opposite Alignment or you could design something a bit more specific.

flappeercraft
2017-05-27, 12:20 PM
Ok, edited it. Now it literally has nothing (that I can find at least, unless lycanthropy is somehow racist) that is racist.
Sorry about that...

Buufreak
2017-05-27, 12:21 PM
Feel free to point blame at me. Someone a few months back said it, presumably a typo. I then went with the idea as to what exactly that would be.

Again, blame goes on me for this one. Sorry guys.

Technetium43
2017-05-27, 12:30 PM
Feel free to point blame at me. Someone a few months back said it, presumably a typo. I then went with the idea as to what exactly that would be.

Again, blame goes on me for this one. Sorry guys.

Considering that you're (likely) American, or at least not Eastern European, I can definitely understand not being aware of the word's more racially charged implications. It's only something I'm aware of because I have a friend that's Romani. However as long as you're aware of it now, and realize what's wrong with it, it's all good. :smallsmile:

Buufreak
2017-05-27, 12:44 PM
Considering that you're (likely) American, or at least not Eastern European, I can definitely understand not being aware of the word's more racially charged implications. It's only something I'm aware of because I have a friend that's Romani. However as long as you're aware of it now, and realize what's wrong with it, it's all good. :smallsmile:

Oh definitely. And Flap was just an innocent bystander. I would never try to promote or spread a slur, and honestly had no idea it could be interpreted like that.

flappeercraft
2017-05-27, 12:52 PM
I was completely unaware of it also, I live literally on the other side of the world, not even close to europe. Perú (South America West of Brazil for those who don't know), most terms like that one are unheard of.

Karl Aegis
2017-05-27, 01:18 PM
So you want to be homeless and not employed and not in the circus...? But, not, like, all the time? How would you ever need a mechanical ability for that?

Grod_The_Giant
2017-05-27, 01:59 PM
Umm...Chameleon, or a few levels of Incarnate (or both)? During a "full moon" switch to a different daily ability loadout.

You could use Shifter if you just want to look act different occasionally.

Gildedragon
2017-05-27, 04:10 PM
Shifter or Were-whatever Wizard sun and moon sub level; prep tricksy (illusion, enchantment) sorta things on the moon side, more blast wizard stuff on the sun side.

Thurbane
2017-05-27, 06:05 PM
A Factotum is kind of a "were-Rogue" out of the box.

Binder, depending on which vestiges he has bound (Andromalius, Malphas, Marchosias etc.).

As suggested above, Chameleon.

OldTrees1
2017-05-27, 06:14 PM
It is times like this that make me really wish Chameleon was a base class.

Wait, people have made Chameleon as a base class homebrew. Would that work for the DM in question?

Gruftzwerg
2017-05-27, 08:26 PM
How much rogue needs to be in it? Are you looking for the typical trap skillmonkey? Or just a stealthy predator like combat style?

For the predator like combat style I would suggest a clawlock build with a dip into Fist of the Forest. This gives you 2 stages of "transformation". The first stage being just the Eldritch Claws (always useable) and the second stage adds from FoF "Feral Trance" which let's you grow a bite attack (limited to 1-2/day, depending on if you go FoF 1 or 3 lvls).

Have a look at my signature build (almighty claw of malar) for some inspiration. If it's just the combat style, I think the build can be used 1:1. But if the intention is to go more rogue style (skillmonkey) you would need to rebuild it.

flappeercraft
2017-05-27, 08:43 PM
Ok guys, thank you for the suggestions. I already finished doing what I needed from this. Appreciate the help