PDA

View Full Version : Overpowered lvl 7 Build Ideas

joaber
2017-05-27, 01:31 PM
Playing in my new table, we get 2 TPK in 4 session (ok, my PC was the only one that survived to the first TPK).
So, obviously my new DM really like to push hard, in fact I like that too, but make and ordinary character isn't an option now.

The rules are:
-Point buy
-no feats
-no human variant
-2 uncommon magic itens or one rare
-any oficial book or content in UA (put only the last version)
-critical hit double all damage, not only the dice
-no homebrew

The campaing have lots of demons, so ice/fire or no magic damage base are terrible options.
Last two sessions we get 6 encounters with 1 short rest (we would do the second after the encounter we die), and was only half of the day, so "nova" builds aren't good options too.
The rest of party will be: a life cleric, one moster hunter fighter, one ranger/rogue archer, and the last one is like me, don't know what to do yet.

My two first options until now:
Yuan-ti pureblood
Treachery Paladin 6/hexblade 1
Cloak of Protection
+1 quarterstaff (to cast hex using shield)
Dueling fighting style and shield
Str 15
Dex 9
Con 14
Int 11
Wis 10
Cha 18
I know that dump int is better than dex, but I don't want to roleplay a dumb yuan ti oath of treachery

AC 21
HP 59

+4 in all saves for me and close allies
Saves would be:
Str +7
Dex +4
Con +7
Int +5
Wis +8
Cha +13

Poison immunity and advantage against all magic effects. Saves look very important, because both TPK happen with that (basilisks and succubus)

Damage: +8 to hit, (1d6 +1d6hex +7)*2, cure, bless, shield spell, divine smite when crit, hexblade curse 1x short/rest, 1x suggestion and poison strike is a nice +26 poison damage 1x/short rest.
Cloak of displecement would be my first item choice, but than I couldn't get a magic weapon, and half of enemies have resistance or immunity to common damage... but maybe I could use eldritch blast in that case, at least in next level with invocations.

The second idea is: fighter 1/warlock 2/favored soul 4
yuan ti pureblood
Wand of Binding
Close quarter shooter (work with eldritch blast)
agonizing blast
repealing blast
Str 8
Dex 14
Con 14
Int 11
Wis 12
Cha 18

AC 19 with half plate + shield
HP 50
Saves:
Str -1
Dex +2
Con +5
Int +0
Wis +1
Cha +7
(way easier to fail than paladin)
quick and twin metamagic, can twin healing word (keep allies conscious is important), and have all nice cleric spells list like spiritual weapon and spirit guardian. +2d4 when miss a save 1x short rest will be incredible necessary.
Wand of Binding is fantastic, save DC is 17, 5 uses/day of a lvl 5 spell, and auto crit with the double all damage rule looks amazing.
EB with +8 to hit, no desadvantage in melee, no cover, repealing blast to put enemies away... and can quick it too.
Don't know what patron to choose yet, probably great old one for telepathy and possible twin dissonant whisppers and tasha's.

Other Ideas? Other itens I could get? Which would be your most OP build in that case?

Khrysaes
2017-05-27, 01:45 PM
If ALL UA is allowed,

Tunnel Fighter.
Polearm Mastery
Sentinal
Bugbear(though at level 7 you couldn't get both feats)
Vengeance Paladin 7.

Good saves, self healing, heavy armor.

With 15ft reach, every that gets in your reach gets hit with your pole arm. As a bonus action activate tunnel fighter, your OA with your polearm from Polearm Master no longer take your reaction, and with sentinal they stop in their tracks, if you hit. Then with vengeance paladin you can move away from them. It wont fully work until level 8 though...

At level 9, you can Multiclass hexblade and use a Qstaff, which will reduce your range to 10 feat. But still function fully in this aspect, and net your Cha to attack and damage instead of str.

An interesting combo I found is

Warlock(any) 2,

Lore wizard 2,

Sea Sorcerer 1.

After that whatever you want. more sorcerer for quicken and twin are probably good.

but you use Lore wizard to convert your Eldritch blast to cold damage.

Then with Agonizing blast, Repelling blast, and Sea Sorcerer 1. You deal d10 + charisma damage per ray. Knock back 25ft per hit. Reduce speed 15 ft per hit.

Alternatively. Undying light Warlock 2/Draconic(fire) sorcerer 6/Lore Wizard 2,

Convert eldritch blast into fire damage.

Deal d10 + charisma * 3 damage. Can still get 10ft knockback per hit.

But yeah, paladin is probably your best bet for defense.

DragonSorcererX
2017-05-27, 01:48 PM
There aren't many overpowered things in 5e, at maximum the untested UA stuff gives you and edge over characters of the same level, so the only thing you can do is optimize your character to not suck...

Lombra
2017-05-27, 02:06 PM
Any full caster gets 4th level spells at 7th, it may be something to consider. Maybe a bladesinger? Magic items are so broad that you will find anything you need fr any kind of build you want. That crit houserule makes the barb/champion look good, but it comes online at level 8 (5 berserker 3 champion, in a featless game the berserker crit-fisher is very appealing, half orc would be your best bet)

Sir cryosin
2017-05-27, 02:45 PM
If you want a survivalable character try making a Mystic.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-05-27, 03:36 PM
2 barbarian 5 champion fighter half Orc with pole arm master.

Reckless attacking on an action surge lets you roll 10 d20s and you'll crit 10% of the time for extra damage

GorogIrongut
2017-05-27, 03:46 PM
The following is based off of a character that I'm running, past these levels. I've got feats... and I play him like an inquisitor who goes after magic users. He's vicious.

Hexblade 5/Stone Sorceror 2 Hill Dwarf
This gives you spell variety between sorceror and warlock. It gives you great combat ability and great hp. The hill dwarf not only boosts constitution (with a bit of wisdom), but it also adds an extra hp per level on top of all of the other goodness. This is on top of resistence to poison, etc.
You really shouldn't be afraid of being in combat with this guy. Throw on Armor of Agathys, have a respectable AC and never need to use a shield... because you'll need both hands for your great weapon. And since you've got a great weapon it doesn't impede your casting (nor can you lose your weapon).

Pump charisma for spellcasting goodness and social might.
Pump constitution to boost your hp, AC and to keep a good hold on your concentration spells (no warcaster).
Keep wisdom respectable for the save.
Dump strength as you'll get the gauntlets.

Magic Items: GAUNTLETS OF OGRE POWER
Wondrous item, uncommon (requires attunement)
Your Strength score is 19 while you wear these gauntlets. They have no effect on you if your Strength is already 19 or higher.
(this makes using the Cursebringer juicy)
HAT OF DISGUISE
While wearing this hat, you can use an action to cast the disguise self spell from it at will. The spell ends if the hat is removed.
(I enjoy this because you're loaded with charisma. You can go around using all kinds of charm magic and have zero repercussions. Heck, you can just permakeep your 'stone armour' on and no one will ever know.

Pacts:
Cursebringer (Smite with a great weapon that also reduces the target hit to 0 movement. Synergizes w/ hexblade curse)
Thirsting blade (+1 attack for what is essentially a variant of a full caster)
Improved pact weapon (Cursebringer is +1)

You will have great combat and magic even if somewhat impeded. You get metamagic which can be used with pact magic. You will have a slight weakness in the skills department.

So all totalled you could go: 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8.
Base stats (boosted by Hill Dwarf/ASI/Magic Item)
Strength 8 (19) magic item boosts it
Dexterity 12
Constitution 15 (18) dwarf and a +1 boost from ASI
Intelligence 8
Wisdom 13 (14) +1 boost from hill dwarf
Charisma 15 (16) +1 boost from ASI

That's an unarmoured AC of 17. That's +5 hit points per level... +6 when doing the stone sorceror levels. For hit points you would get 8 if you start warlock (wisdom saving throw proficiency). Then the next 4 levels of warlock give you 5 per. Adding your bonuses that 28 + 25 = 53 just for your hexblade levels. Then you add 2 levels of stone sorceror... ((2*4) + 12) = 20. All totalled you get 73 hp for this character.

joaber
2017-05-27, 06:34 PM
If ALL UA is allowed,

Tunnel Fighter.
Polearm Mastery
Sentinal
Bugbear(though at level 7 you couldn't get both feats)
Vengeance Paladin 7.

Good saves, self healing, heavy armor.

With 15ft reach, every that gets in your reach gets hit with your pole arm. As a bonus action activate tunnel fighter, your OA with your polearm from Polearm Master no longer take your reaction, and with sentinal they stop in their tracks, if you hit. Then with vengeance paladin you can move away from them. It wont fully work until level 8 though...

At level 9, you can Multiclass hexblade and use a Qstaff, which will reduce your range to 10 feat. But still function fully in this aspect, and net your Cha to attack and damage instead of str.

An interesting combo I found is

Warlock(any) 2,

Lore wizard 2,

Sea Sorcerer 1.

After that whatever you want. more sorcerer for quicken and twin are probably good.

but you use Lore wizard to convert your Eldritch blast to cold damage.

Then with Agonizing blast, Repelling blast, and Sea Sorcerer 1. You deal d10 + charisma damage per ray. Knock back 25ft per hit. Reduce speed 15 ft per hit.

Alternatively. Undying light Warlock 2/Draconic(fire) sorcerer 6/Lore Wizard 2,

Convert eldritch blast into fire damage.

Deal d10 + charisma * 3 damage. Can still get 10ft knockback per hit.

But yeah, paladin is probably your best bet for defense.

Feats aten't allowed. Even so I thinked in tunnel fighter with twin dissonant whisppers.

Lore master only change damage type of spells when you use a spellslot, so don't work with EB.
And half of enemies are fiends, so fire and cold damage are bad options.

Any full caster gets 4th level spells at 7th, it may be something to consider. Maybe a bladesinger? Magic items are so broad that you will find anything you need fr any kind of build you want. That crit houserule makes the barb/champion look good, but it comes online at level 8 (5 berserker 3 champion, in a featless game the berserker crit-fisher is very appealing, half orc would be your best bet)

Yeah, I really was thinkg in ways to abuse that critical rule, and barbarian champion is a nice option. My fear is with the defense, at lvl 5 only get 4 rages, we are doing more than 10 encounters/day.

If you want a survivalable character try making a Mystic.

In fact this was my first option, that die.
I was going incredible well, until the paladin get charmed and hit a 20 in me, burning a divine smite to drop me to 0 in one hit. And I failed in the dead saves with a big 1 in the first.
So I can't pick mystic now.

Reckless attacking on an action surge lets you roll 10 d20s and you'll crit 10% of the time for extra damage

No feats

The following is based off of a character that I'm running, past these levels. I've got feats... and I play him like an inquisitor who goes after magic users. He's vicious.

Hexblade 5/Stone Sorceror 2 Hill Dwarf
This gives you spell variety between sorceror and warlock. It gives you great combat ability and great hp. The hill dwarf not only boosts constitution (with a bit of wisdom), but it also adds an extra hp per level on top of all of the other goodness. This is on top of resistence to poison, etc.
You really shouldn't be afraid of being in combat with this guy. Throw on Armor of Agathys, have a respectable AC and never need to use a shield... because you'll need both hands for your great weapon. And since you've got a great weapon it doesn't impede your casting (nor can you lose your weapon).

Pump charisma for spellcasting goodness and social might.
Pump constitution to boost your hp, AC and to keep a good hold on your concentration spells (no warcaster).
Keep wisdom respectable for the save.
Dump strength as you'll get the gauntlets.

Magic Items: GAUNTLETS OF OGRE POWER
Your Strength score is 19 while you wear these gauntlets. They have no effect on you if your Strength is already 19 or higher.
(this makes using the Cursebringer juicy)
HAT OF DISGUISE
While wearing this hat, you can use an action to cast the disguise self spell from it at will. The spell ends if the hat is removed.
(I enjoy this because you're loaded with charisma. You can go around using all kinds of charm magic and have zero repercussions. Heck, you can just permakeep your 'stone armour' on and no one will ever know.

Pacts:
Cursebringer (Smite with a great weapon that also reduces the target hit to 0 movement. Synergizes w/ hexblade curse)
Thirsting blade (+1 attack for what is essentially a variant of a full caster)
Improved pact weapon (Cursebringer is +1)

You will have great combat and magic even if somewhat impeded. You get metamagic which can be used with pact magic. You will have a slight weakness in the skills department.

So all totalled you could go: 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8.
Base stats (boosted by Hill Dwarf/ASI/Magic Item)
Strength 8 (19) magic item boosts it
Dexterity 12
Constitution 15 (18) dwarf and a +1 boost from ASI
Intelligence 8
Wisdom 13 (14) +1 boost from hill dwarf
Charisma 15 (16) +1 boost from ASI

That's an unarmoured AC of 17. That's +5 hit points per level... +6 when doing the stone sorceror levels. For hit points you would get 8 if you start warlock (wisdom saving throw proficiency). Then the next 4 levels of warlock give you 5 per. Adding your bonuses that 28 + 25 = 53 just for your hexblade levels. Then you add 2 levels of stone sorceror... ((2*4) + 12) = 20. All totalled you get 73 hp for this character.

This is a nice option too, thanks.

Khrysaes
2017-05-27, 06:53 PM
Feats aten't allowed. Even so I thinked in tunnel fighter with twin dissonant whisppers.

Sorry, I must have missed the no feats part.

Ancient Paladin is still a decent selection. Good saves and resistance to spell damage.
Yuanti would resist that damage further.
Various races grant immunities.

Warlock with chain boon and Quasit? familiar may get magical resistance(same as yuanti), if you go by the familiar rule in the MM.

Dwarves get more HP. if ALL 5e books published by wizards is allowed, there are racial options in the PlaneShift.There is a hill dwarf one that instead of proficiency in weapons, gets two tool proficiencies, that arent restricted, and gains expertise in them.

There is also a human that gets 2hp per level.

Paladin is still probably the best well rounded defensively. With good saves on all saves, resistance to spell damage, heavy armor, and spells to boost it. Does good crit damage, and okay normal damage. After level 7 you can multiclass Sorc or Warlock for good synergy. No warcaster though. If you do Sorc as first level, and paladin 6, you gain proficiency in con saves, AND get cha to all saves, rather than Cha and Wis saves. Though wisdom is likely to be lower than your con, you may want to have proficiency in it to bolster it. Only weak "good" save would be dex, and ancient paladin helps with that.

djreynolds
2017-05-28, 02:55 AM

That's a good build

GorogIrongut
2017-05-28, 04:20 AM
This is a nice option too, thanks.

The other important part of this build is that a lot of it is, a) not nova (I haven't been counting the potential cursebringer smites you can do) and b) recharges on a short rest.

You start off with loads of tasty cantrips. Your pact magic recharges on a short rest (I know coffee drow isn't really a thing with most dm's but you can use this to keep your sorcery points topped up between any rests).

You also get a lot of spell choices... so many that fitting what you want in, will be difficult. Armor of Agathys... Hex... Shield... Counterspell... Fly... Invisibility... Misty step... Fireball... The list goes on and on.

Your hexblade curse also recharges on a short rest. This bad boy, when used, makes you the equal of most martial characters out there. Using the curse in combination with the Cursebringer, takes it to the next level because you get to keep reassigning your Curse.

Hexblade’s Curse
Starting at 1st level, you gain the ability to place a baleful curse on an enemy. As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The target is cursed for 1 minute. Until the curse ends, you gain the following benefits:
• You gain a bonus to damage rolls against the cursed target. The bonus equals your proficiency bonus.
• Any attack roll you make against the cursed target is a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20 on the d20.
• If the cursed target dies, you regain hit points equal to your warlock level + your Charisma modifier.

Curse Bringer Prerequisite: The Hexblade patron, Pact of the Blade feature
You can create a greatsword forged from silver, with black runes etched into its blade, using your Pact of the Blade feature. If you reduce a target cursed by your Hexblade’s Curse to 0 hit points with this sword, you can immediately change the target of the curse to a different creature. This change doesn’t extend the curse’s duration.
When you hit a creature with this weapon, you can expend a spell slot to deal an additional 2d8 slashing damage to the target per spell level, and you can reduce the creature’s speed to 0 feet until the end of your next turn.

To my mind, that reads... assign your curse to a gobbo... the kind of creature you can easily kill with one blow. You're hitting on +8 and doing 2d6+5 damage... PLUS an extra 3 damage from the curse and any other potential extra crits. If you hit... the Gobbo dies. You proceed to recoup +8 hit points. You then immediately reassign your curse to the gobbo next to it's dead mate. You proceed to use your 2nd attack which has the same modifiers for a likely other death, reaping you another +8 hit points. These are 16 not temporary hit points you can get every round for 10 rounds.

You use your curse to heal yourself from a series of tough fights (while finishing off another encounter). Then you go to the final encounter with the BBEG. It's a bit hard to say how many resources you will have left... but if you still have magic and sorcery points, you can get up to all kinds of shenanigans... the worst of the lot being if a player in your group has the spell Silence (Ranger, Bard, Cleric, Ravenlock).

You engage in all of your cursebringering smightiness, one of the side effects being that the BBEG now has a move of 0. Your team mate casts Silence, negating the use of most magic to the area that you and he are in. You hopefully took the metamagic Subtle and are thus free to cast any spells that you choose. The BBEG, however, is now trapped inside the sphere of Silence and can cast no magic. Nor can it move outside of said sphere to regain it's casting ability. It's literally trapped. All other martial characters in your party join you inside the quiet and literally tear apart the BBEG without a sound being made. Ranged attackers can contribute with impunity.

RickAllison
2017-05-28, 06:30 AM
I would just go a full 180, become a series of reincarnations of the traitorous Kuraulyek, and just go Wild Sorcerer. You don't plan on surviving, but you die in a constant blaze of glory with your long rest slots. Then just come back as a different kind of sorcerer, or a bard and repeat the process. Play it up as you only remember the deaths from your former lives.

djreynolds
2017-05-28, 06:38 AM
I like a fighter 6, champion, S&B with 1 level of rogue and shield master. Could go Battle master

Athletics with expertise is awesome. Why? You shove or disarm anyone.

Shillelagh disarmed is just a stick on the ground.

Tildryn
2017-05-28, 02:14 PM
In fact this was my first option, that die.
I was going incredible well, until the paladin get charmed and hit a 20 in me, burning a divine smite to drop me to 0 in one hit. And I failed in the dead saves with a big 1 in the first.

I have to point out here that the 'Charmed' condition in 5E is not as it was in previous editions. These are the effects of Charmed in 5E:

A charmed creature can’t Attack the charmer or target the charmer with harmful Abilities or magical effects.
The charmer has advantage on any ability check to interact socially with the creature.

It doesn't, as written, make you turn on your existing allies. So unless the charmer also went through a laborious persuasion process, your DM is really giving you guys the **** end of the stick. It's hard enough being forced to make a competent character without feats, without your DM (or table) making conditions vastly more powerful than they really are.

Add on top of that having to go through a massive six encounters (normally an entire day's worth, and that's at a laborious table) on a single short rest? That's just nuts. You really can't build around that without people dropping like flies.

joaber
2017-05-28, 08:13 PM
I have to point out here that the 'Charmed' condition in 5E is not as it was in previous editions. These are the effects of Charmed in 5E:

It doesn't, as written, make you turn on your existing allies. So unless the charmer also went through a laborious persuasion process, your DM is really giving you guys the **** end of the stick. It's hard enough being forced to make a competent character without feats, without your DM (or table) making conditions vastly more powerful than they really are.

Add on top of that having to go through a massive six encounters (normally an entire day's worth, and that's at a laborious table) on a single short rest? That's just nuts. You really can't build around that without people dropping like flies.

Succubus charm is different, the carmed creature will obey.
Well, we could made a short rest before that encounter, but only 1 pc wasn't with full hp.
But two succubbus agaist 4 players (the cleric missed the session) got really bad with a bunch of unlucky. The paladin failed the Wis save even with +9, the critical hit on me before any chance to act too. Two dominated agaist the warlock that was the only one with low HP finished the TPK.
It is harder than normal, but I like the challange, lol.

PeteNutButter
2017-05-28, 08:39 PM
So a player killer DM totally changes the dynamics of a game. You don't want a nova build that goes first on initiative and kills things, as it won't do. The DM will just put more monsters on the field round two. With this kind of DM you are playing a survival game so DEFENSE is king.

I'd go as unkillable as possible. Paladin 6/Shadow Sorc 1.

You can take ancients paladin if you want more defense by paladin 7, or one of the more shady ones for some better offense. Yuan ti is a solid option for advantage on saves against magic as well.

Take a cloak of displacement. Everything has to hit your AC 19 (plate +Defense style) with disadvantage, and if they do you cast shield and make it AC 24. AC 24 is really hard to hit with disadvantage on most foes, so you'll likely never take damage. I'd say go S&B build, but you can't cast shield with your hands full and no feats so no Warcaster.

To sum up you have insane AC with permanent disadvantage, and insane saves and a good shot at never dying short of a critical hit or radiant damage due to the level 1 shadow sorc ability. It'll take lots of lucky rolling for foes to get through on you and if they do you can negate death.

Offense suffers slightly, but you should have a 16 str and 18 cha. You can cast magic weapon if you need to, and since you appear to be running a lot without short rests, its 1 hour duration should see lots of use.

Bottom line is you WILL LIVE.

Vaz
2017-05-28, 09:22 PM
Blade Pact Hexblade 5/Paladin 2

2 Attacks, critting on 19-20, with Smites (2 L1 on LR, 2* L3 on SR), Fighting Styles, and potentially adding Cha to Hit and Damage. 3rd level Armour of Agathys to make someone cry when they hit you. Dex 14, either Cha or Str Maxed if you want to go Rapier + Shield or Cursebringer)

Alternatively, Pal 5/Warlock 2 but you miss out on Cursebringer until you ding 8th and your soellcasting suffers.

Warlock 2/Stone Sorc 5

Quickened Bladeward + Armour of Agathys and Battlefield Control. Can Eldritch Blast Spam with Hexblade giving you 19-20 Crits and can Quicken them if you need to. And you can just spam out 1st level spell slots for utility, and when you want, pick up 3rd Warlock level pact of blade for smiting.

joaber
2017-05-29, 12:01 PM
So a player killer DM totally changes the dynamics of a game. You don't want a nova build that goes first on initiative and kills things, as it won't do. The DM will just put more monsters on the field round two. With this kind of DM you are playing a survival game so DEFENSE is king.

I'd go as unkillable as possible. Paladin 6/Shadow Sorc 1.

You can take ancients paladin if you want more defense by paladin 7, or one of the more shady ones for some better offense. Yuan ti is a solid option for advantage on saves against magic as well.

Take a cloak of displacement. Everything has to hit your AC 19 (plate +Defense style) with disadvantage, and if they do you cast shield and make it AC 24. AC 24 is really hard to hit with disadvantage on most foes, so you'll likely never take damage. I'd say go S&B build, but you can't cast shield with your hands full and no feats so no Warcaster.

To sum up you have insane AC with permanent disadvantage, and insane saves and a good shot at never dying short of a critical hit or radiant damage due to the level 1 shadow sorc ability. It'll take lots of lucky rolling for foes to get through on you and if they do you can negate death.

Offense suffers slightly, but you should have a 16 str and 18 cha. You can cast magic weapon if you need to, and since you appear to be running a lot without short rests, its 1 hour duration should see lots of use.

Bottom line is you WILL LIVE.

Yeah, I think defense is the way to go. But I'll probably make a hexblade/paladin. Shadow sorcerer maybe an amazing dip later.
Cloak of displecement is my first option. I can't do magical weapon damage most of the time, but next lvl can go as watlock 2 for agonizing blast and blade lock at 3 will hibe me the magical damage. A silvered quarterstaff will help with some fields and werebeasts.

GorogIrongut
2017-05-29, 12:40 PM
Yeah, I think defense is the way to go. But I'll probably make a hexblade/paladin. Shadow sorcerer maybe an amazing dip later.
Cloak of displecement is my first option. I can't do magical weapon damage most of the time, but next lvl can go as watlock 2 for agonizing blast and blade lock at 3 will hibe me the magical damage. A silvered quarterstaff will help with some fields and werebeasts.

Hexblade already gets smite without needing to dip Paladin (and cursebringer is a magical weapon that is also silvered). There's a lot of duplication going on if you get both classes. If you're going to go paladin, then I would vigorously suggest that warlock isn't as good as sorceror... or that you go Ravenlock instead of Hexblade if you do decide to multi class into warlock.

Khrysaes
2017-05-29, 12:58 PM
Hexblade already gets smite without needing to dip Paladin (and cursebringer is a magical weapon that is also silvered). There's a lot of duplication going on if you get both classes. If you're going to go paladin, then I would vigorously suggest that warlock isn't as good as sorceror... or that you go Ravenlock instead of Hexblade if you do decide to multi class into warlock.

I personally like Undying light warlock with paladin. Especially since paladin's get some decent radiant spells. Like divine favor, stacked with +5 charisma, you will do 1d4+5 more damage per melee hit. Takes up concentration though, and only applys to melee, but may be a viable alternative to hex.

Specter
2017-05-29, 02:54 PM
Half-Elf Draconic Sorcerer 5/Fiend Warlock 2
ST8, DX16, CO16, IN8, WI10, CH18
Metamagic: Quicken, Subtle
Items: Wand of the War Mage +1, Cloak of Protection
Can't go wrong.

- 17AC (22 with Shield) and effective d8 hp (average of 58) with Draconic Origin.
- Both sustained and burst damage are high (two quickened EBs with Agonizing Blast give you 4d10+16 damage, avg 38, without using a spell slot).
- Both horde and single-target options are strong.
- Short-rest sorcery point shenanigans with Warlock spells (many more points than a single-classed sorcerer would get).
- A great mage slayer with subtle spell (to ruin counterspell).
- HP recovery with Dark One's Blessing.
- Eldritch Blast takes care of any resistance issues (I can't recall any creature that resists force).

Vaz
2017-05-29, 07:05 PM

Hexblade Curse and Spell list is better than what the RQ gives. Free Magic Weapons and even +1 to +3's later in the game without needing Concentration don't hurt either.

joaber
2017-05-29, 08:23 PM

True, but I can use cha to attack with an one hand weapon, so I can left str at 15 for plate and concentrate just in Cha (that bump my saves with paladin aura) and later in Con.
Cursebringer would be nice if the DM would let me reroll all dice with the 1 or 2 from great weapon fighter, but he allow just the weapon damage.
So I would have a +6 to hit (str 16 +3 prof) and avg damage of 11.3 per attack or 14.8 with hex. With dueling fighting style and one weapon I have +7 to hit 9.5 or 13 with hex +2 in AC and better saves and save DC, and free another invocation, so I get amazing range option with EB + probably agoning blast and repealing blast. The difference will be bigger when ai max Cha.

Khrysaes
2017-05-29, 09:01 PM
True, but I can use cha to attack with an one hand weapon, so I can left str at 15 for plate and concentrate just in Cha (that bump my saves with paladin aura) and later in Con.
Cursebringer would be nice if the DM would let me reroll all dice with the 1 or 2 from great weapon fighter, but he allow just the weapon damage.
So I would have a +6 to hit (str 16 +3 prof) and avg damage of 11.3 per attack or 14.8 with hex. With dueling fighting style and one weapon I have +7 to hit 9.5 or 13 with hex +2 in AC and better saves and save DC, and free another invocation, so I get amazing range option with EB + probably agoning blast and repealing blast. The difference will be bigger when ai max Cha.

You get an uncommon item right?

What I did was more risky, But taking a Half Elf Paladin/Hexblade, I dumped strength, maxed Cha, Con, and Dex, and used an uncommon item given to me to get Gauntlets of Ogre Power.

So I started with 19, 16, 16, 8, 8 , 17. With you asi that 17 is also a 19.

If you lose the gauntlets, or they stop functioning however.....

GorogIrongut
2017-05-30, 05:44 AM
That's of course up to you. I personally don't find the paladin level 6 save ability to be worth the requisite resources... when you're going Hexblade. There's just too much crossover between the two for it to be effective. Raven/Fiend/GOO/Fey are all more effective in this build than the Hexblade. It's important to note that you can still get the +1-3 to your pact blade, because any of those patrons still allow you to use the Pact of the Blade. GOO, Fiend and Fey also get their own invocation/pact weapon that allows smites.

joaber
2017-05-30, 08:38 AM

What I did was more risky, But taking a Half Elf Paladin/Hexblade, I dumped strength, maxed Cha, Con, and Dex, and used an uncommon item given to me to get Gauntlets of Ogre Power.

Yes, 2 uncommon or 1 rare. Gautlets is a solid option indeed, but if I get that, I don't know if I would choose hexblade in that case. Fiend or Old could give me smite invocations for one hand, sorcerer could give me metamagic. gauntlet have a problem, I would never max my melee attack. Offensively is a little better option, defensively is way worse without yuan ti poison immunity, advantage in saves against magic and no cloak of displacement. The bigger con agaist gautlet, I still need str 13 to multiclass as paladin, so I couldn't completly dump str.

That's of course up to you. I personally don't find the paladin level 6 save ability to be worth the requisite resources... when you're going Hexblade. There's just too much crossover between the two for it to be effective. Raven/Fiend/GOO/Fey are all more effective in this build than the Hexblade. It's important to note that you can still get the +1-3 to your pact blade, because any of those patrons still allow you to use the Pact of the Blade. GOO, Fiend and Fey also get their own invocation/pact weapon that allows smites.

after 4 sessions and 2 TPK, both because failed saves, the lvl 6 ability looks like the only "must have" in that table for me, lol.
The bigger win for hexblade is using Cha to hit, At lvl 10 (6 paladin/4 hexblade) I have 20 of Cha, +5 to saves, save DC 17, +5 hit and damage for melee and EB.
If I go for other patron I would need or gauntlet of ogre power, or forget yuan ti, or only max Str at lvl 12 (pali 8/lock 4) or 14 (pali6/lock8) and only max Cha at end tier.
I see that armor proficiency of hexblade is worthless, half of spell list too, but smite spells suck, so I wouldn't pick those anyway.

Khrysaes
2017-05-30, 09:53 AM
Yes, 2 uncommon or 1 rare. Gautlets is a solid option indeed, but if I get that, I don't know if I would choose hexblade in that case. Fiend or Old could give me smite invocations for one hand, sorcerer could give me metamagic. gauntlet have a problem, I would never max my melee attack. Offensively is a little better option, defensively is way worse without yuan ti poison immunity, advantage in saves against magic and no cloak of displacement. The bigger con agaist gautlet, I still need str 13 to multiclass as paladin, so I couldn't completly dump str.

after 4 sessions and 2 TPK, both because failed saves, the lvl 6 ability looks like the only "must have" in that table for me, lol.
The bigger win for hexblade is using Cha to hit, At lvl 10 (6 paladin/4 hexblade) I have 20 of Cha, +5 to saves, save DC 17, +5 hit and damage for melee and EB.
If I go for other patron I would need or gauntlet of ogre power, or forget yuan ti, or only max Str at lvl 12 (pali 8/lock 4) or 14 (pali6/lock8) and only max Cha at end tier.
I see that armor proficiency of hexblade is worthless, half of spell list too, but smite spells suck, so I wouldn't pick those anyway.

You dont need to use Strength to attack, if you are a hexblade. You can CHOOSE to.

But mainly it is an easy way to allow you to meet the strength requirements for a Full plate. It also increases your athletics and saves. Alternatively, you could use an uncommon item to get a mithral full plate. Which removes the disadvantage and strength requirement. Doesn't bolster your skills or saves though.

And a warlocks bonus spells are ALWAYS known, without taking an option slot. so a hexblades spell list would be like always having them prepared on a paladin. Yes if you choose another patron you would want strength or Ogre power gauntlets(or giants belts). If you want to melee, Hexblade is better. Alternatively, Undying Light is a good choice for a blaster, especially a sorc/warlock, since it gives you a couple more cantrips and spells for free, but gives you +CHa to damage in 2 spell types, allowing you to pick another type from sorcerer, or just another bloodline.

Consensus
2017-05-30, 01:42 PM
And a warlocks bonus spells are ALWAYS known

They are not, they should be but they aren't

E x p a n d e d S p e l l L i s t

The Fiend lets you choose from an expanded list of
spells when you learn a w arlock spell. The following
spells are added to the w arlock spell list for you.

They're added to your list, but not your known spells

joaber
2017-05-30, 02:39 PM
You dont need to use Strength to attack, if you are a hexblade. You can CHOOSE to.
Except if is a two handed weapon, than I would need str (or dex) to attack. For hexblade with one hand weapon gautlet isn't a great add, since I still need at least 13 of str to multiclass, so bump until 15 for plate is not that big deal (ok 4p in point buy hurt a little).

But mainly it is an easy way to allow you to meet the strength requirements for a Full plate. It also increases your athletics and saves. Alternatively, you could use an uncommon item to get a mithral full plate. Which removes the disadvantage and strength requirement. Doesn't bolster your skills or saves though.

And a warlocks bonus spells are ALWAYS known, without taking an option slot. so a hexblades spell list would be like always having them prepared on a paladin. Yes if you choose another patron you would want strength or Ogre power gauntlets(or giants belts). If you want to melee, Hexblade is better. Alternatively, Undying Light is a good choice for a blaster, especially a sorc/warlock, since it gives you a couple more cantrips and spells for free, but gives you +CHa to damage in 2 spell types, allowing you to pick another type from sorcerer, or just another bloodline.

Yeah, In fact be a palalock without melee isn't so absurd, I could get close quarter shooter as fighting style, that work with eldritch blast. In that case I could have a hand free of weapon and may get another item, like wand of binding (hold monster 5x day +2 hold person really looks nice when the critical double all damage). OK, divine smite is wasted, but there are lots of uses for spell slots.

Khrysaes
2017-05-30, 03:16 PM
Except if is a two handed weapon, than I would need str (or dex) to attack. For hexblade with one hand weapon gautlet isn't a great add, since I still need at least 13 of str to multiclass, so bump until 15 for plate is not that big deal (ok 4p in point buy hurt a little).

Yeah, In fact be a palalock without melee isn't so absurd, I could get close quarter shooter as fighting style, that work with eldritch blast. In that case I could have a hand free of weapon and may get another item, like wand of binding (hold monster 5x day +2 hold person really looks nice when the critical double all damage). OK, divine smite is wasted, but there are lots of uses for spell slots.

You cant use dex with 2 handed weapons because none of them are finesse. Unless you are a monk. but it still doesn't count for sneak attack.

13 Str is still need for multiclassing. You are right.

Warcaster feat(I dont remember if you said no feats) allows you to use a sword and shield AND still cast. The wand would be nice.

Divine smite is not wasted, especially if you want to weapon/wand or use charisma to hit.

Cursebringer CAN do more damage, and without a traditional caster, and only warlock(or paladin) can only do up to 10d6 damage. Because they don't get spell slots higher than 5th. Reducing movement to 0 is amazing though. For the Cursebringer to work with hex you Must kill the enemy with hex with it. Otherwise the hexblade hex is gone.

Divine smite on the other hand, while having a lower cap(5d6 with 4th level spells, 6d6 with paladin 10 or 11 when they get improved smite), is radiant damage, which is resisted much less.

I do think hexblade is a bit of a waste on a paladin, multiclass, and prefere Undying Light for the spell and ability synergy. It is not the worst.

Hexblade is better being combined with a bard or a sorcerer, because they get full casting levels and can make full use of Cursebringer with their higher than 5th level slots. if they so choose. Or added versatility.

8wGremlin
2017-05-30, 07:14 PM
Actually, I'd go for

Revenant - infernal - winged tiefling - hexblade/ sorcerer
medium armour + dex (14) + shield
EB quickened + agonising blast - stay away from combat
all on CHA
take false life invocation if you want tmp hp spam

joaber
2017-05-30, 08:04 PM

You cant use dex with 2 handed weapons because none of them are finesse. Unless you are a monk. but it still doesn't count for sneak attack.

13 Str is still need for multiclassing. You are right.

Warcaster feat(I dont remember if you said no feats) allows you to use a sword and shield AND still cast. The wand would be nice.

Divine smite is not wasted, especially if you want to weapon/wand or use charisma to hit.

Cursebringer CAN do more damage, and without a traditional caster, and only warlock(or paladin) can only do up to 10d6 damage. Because they don't get spell slots higher than 5th. Reducing movement to 0 is amazing though. For the Cursebringer to work with hex you Must kill the enemy with hex with it. Otherwise the hexblade hex is gone.

Divine smite on the other hand, while having a lower cap(5d6 with 4th level spells, 6d6 with paladin 10 or 11 when they get improved smite), is radiant damage, which is resisted much less.

I do think hexblade is a bit of a waste on a paladin, multiclass, and prefere Undying Light for the spell and ability synergy. It is not the worst.

Hexblade is better being combined with a bard or a sorcerer, because they get full casting levels and can make full use of Cursebringer with their higher than 5th level slots. if they so choose. Or added versatility.

Sunblade is a finesse longsword, but I think is the only option.

Feats really aren't an options.

The only correction is that divine smite is d8, not d6, but still invocations are better damage.