PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer Font of Magic

Tanarii
2017-05-27, 06:27 PM
Can a Sorcerer create higher level spell slots than they usually get from their class using Font of Magic, then use them to upcast spells known?

For example, a level 4 Sorcerer gets 4 x 1st, 3x 2nd, and has 4 Sorcery Points. If they convert the spell slots to SP, they have 14 SP total available. Can they convert that into 2x 5th level slots?

apepi
2017-05-27, 08:56 PM
No.

You can never have more sorcery points than shown on the table for your level.
PHB pg 101.

Matrix_Walker
2017-05-27, 08:56 PM
Can a Sorcerer create higher level spell slots than they usually get from their class using Font of Magic, then use them to upcast spells known?

For example, a level 4 Sorcerer gets 4 x 1st, 3x 2nd, and has 4 Sorcery Points. If they convert the spell slots to SP, they have 14 SP total available. Can they convert that into 2x 5th level slots?

No, as you can never have more sorcery points than your maximum for your level, you can never create a slot you don't get through normal progression.

Tanarii
2017-05-27, 08:58 PM
No.

PHB pg 101.

Thanks. I read the second on SP multiple times too. Guess I was looking for a slot restriction and glazed right over that. /sigh

XmonkTad
2017-05-27, 09:12 PM
It's as others pointed out, can't have more SP than your maximum (basically equal to your sorcerer level). That being said, at 7 and 8 you can create 5th level slots before you get them normally, so at least there is that.

Drackolus
2017-05-27, 09:18 PM
That stops lower level shennanigans, but I think you can do that at higher levels. A level 6 sorcerer can make a 4th level slot a level early, and a 7th level sorcerer could make a 5th level slot two levels early.
Pretty underwhelming on its own, considering how weak upcasting typically is.
However, that would let a multiclass sorcerer use those slots for their other classes' higher level spells.

Edit: ninja'd by 4 whole minutes. Typing on a phone while at work is hard.