PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a cool fantasy movie or tv series

Amazon
2017-05-27, 08:31 PM
I really want to watch some interesting fantasy movie or series, with interesting setting and world building.

Do any of you have any suggestions?

Nextflix would be appreciated but I'm willing to buy dvds and/or blue rays. (If no fantasy is available I'm ok with historical medieval times as long as it is really good).

An Enemy Spy
2017-05-27, 09:11 PM
I assume Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones are so obvious that you've either seen them already or aren't interested, so we'll table them for now.

I hear Gallivant is good if you like Musical Comedy. I also like The Last Kingdom(more historical fiction than fantasy, but there's a little bit of implied supernatural elements), but don't watch it if you don't like lots of blood and death, 'cause it's got that in spades.

Dienekes
2017-05-27, 09:39 PM
I really want to watch some interesting fantasy movie or series, with interesting setting and world building.

Nextflix would be appreciated but I'm willing to buy dvds and/or blue rays. (If no fantasy is available I'm ok with historical medieval times as long as it is really good).

There's the old, silly, classics Xena: Warrior Princess, and Hercules: The Legendary Journeys. I wouldn't say they're good, but they are fun.

I'm enjoying American Gods, though that is modern fantasy. And Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, though that is Napoleonic Era.

There's also the somewhat childish cartoon, that is still really good Avatar: The Last Airbender. The sequel series is crap, though.

And on the cartoon bit, there's also Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash, which takes the title of "worst show I still somehow enjoy."

For medieval, the best shows I've seen on right now are Vikings and The Last Kingdom, both having less to do with the usual knights in shining armor medieval and instead on the Viking Age.

The Pillars of Earth miniseries was good. There's also Tudors and The Borgias, I haven't seen either, though I had a professor once say they enjoyed Tudors, though they said it wasn't very accurate, if you care about that. And technically they take place during the Early Modern period, depending on how you count it.

As for movies:
LotR, obviously. Pan's Labrynth. Princess Bride. Willow. Stardust. Time Bandits. Seventh Seal. Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Jason and the Argonauts. Excalibur (because one of the damn King Arthur movies has to make it on a list somewhere)

Scarlet Knight
2017-05-27, 11:10 PM

May I ask your approximate age?

Amazon
2017-05-28, 11:17 AM
I assume Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones are so obvious that you've either seen them already or aren't interested, so we'll table them for now.

I hear Gallivant is good if you like Musical Comedy. I also like The Last Kingdom(more historical fiction than fantasy, but there's a little bit of implied supernatural elements), but don't watch it if you don't like lots of blood and death, 'cause it's got that in spades.

Yup, big fan of Lord of the Rings and the lack of game of Thrones is one of the factors that lead me to create this tread.

Not a huge fan of musicals or comedies, but I couldn't find more information about this movie, is the title only Gallivant?

The Last Kingdom- Already watched.

There's the old, silly, classics Xena: Warrior Princess, and Hercules: The Legendary Journeys. I wouldn't say they're good, but they are fun.

I'm enjoying American Gods, though that is modern fantasy. And Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, though that is Napoleonic Era.

There's also the somewhat childish cartoon, that is still really good Avatar: The Last Airbender. The sequel series is crap, though.

And on the cartoon bit, there's also Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash, which takes the title of "worst show I still somehow enjoy."

For medieval, the best shows I've seen on right now are Vikings and The Last Kingdom, both having less to do with the usual knights in shining armor medieval and instead on the Viking Age.

The Pillars of Earth miniseries was good. There's also Tudors and The Borgias, I haven't seen either, though I had a professor once say they enjoyed Tudors, though they said it wasn't very accurate, if you care about that. And technically they take place during the Early Modern period, depending on how you count it.

As for movies:
LotR, obviously. Pan's Labrynth. Princess Bride. Willow. Stardust. Time Bandits. Seventh Seal. Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Jason and the Argonauts. Excalibur (because one of the damn King Arthur movies has to make it on a list somewhere)

Big fan of Xena.
Hercules- Already watched.
I'm also watching Americna gods but I want somethign medieval.

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell - Never saw it, going to take a look thanks.

Avatar: The Last Airbender - Already watched. And what you mean? Legend of Korra is awesome.

Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash - No a big fan of anime or "stuck in an MMORPG" scenario but I plan to watch it because the combat is really well done. Too bad I have to deal with the usual sexist anime tropes >_<

Vikings and The Last Kingdom- Already watched.
The Pillars of Earth- Already watched and read the books.
Tudors - Already watched.
The Borgias - Already watched and really liked how their Lucrezia wasn't the one dimensional charatcer they usulay make her be.

LotR - Already watched.
Pan's Labrynth - My second favorite movie, only after spirited away.
Princess Bride - Already watched.
Willow- Already watched.
Stardust - Already watched.
Time Bandits- Already watched.
Seventh Seal- Already watched, is it fantasy?
Monty Python and the Holy Grail- Already watched.
Jason and the Argonauts- Already watched.
Excalibur- Already watched.

May I ask your approximate age?

Early twenties.

S@tanicoaldo
2017-05-28, 12:01 PM
You said you don't like comedy, but I still want to recommend Blackadder II, Rowan Atkinson is just too funny.

But it's british humor, so you either love it or hate it. :p

Scarlet Knight
2017-05-28, 02:13 PM
I didn't see Conan the Barbarian on the list. Hyboria is a great world!

Also have you considered Thief of Bagdad or the Sinbad movies? I loved when I had an Arabian Nights based game and the world is very rich.

Silfir
2017-05-29, 05:19 AM
Unfortunately seems to have left Netflix last December, but if you want proof that anime can do without sexism and the overdone MMORPG plots (I do not understand this fad) and just be excellent fantasy, try to locate Seirei no Moribito.

In a couple of weeks the full season of Little Witch Academia TV will be out on Netflix. There are two short movies at the moment that are essentially the pilot, and should give you a good idea whether you'd like it.

Gandariel
2017-05-29, 12:46 PM
Prince of Persia, 2010 movie. I only really remember the dagger scene, which was very cool. Rottentomatoes is less than enthusiast about it, but that doesn't really mean much.

Rynjin
2017-05-29, 01:37 PM
Prince of Persia, 2010 movie. I only really remember the dagger scene, which was very cool. Rottentomatoes is less than enthusiast about it, but that doesn't really mean much.

That probably takes the title of "best videogame movie" for me, even though it's basically mediocre at best. Fun, though.

Merlin (the SyFy series from a few years back) is good.

Gallivant is a TV series by the by, got two seasons on ABC but it was very much "bubble show" (barely enough viewership to bring back, only petitions from hardcore fans got it a season 2). It's really good, but yeah it's doubtful you'll like it if musicals annoy you. Just watch the first 5 minutes or so of the episode. It has a very good hook in the opening song, so if you don't like that you won't like the rest and can safely turn it off.

Slayers might be good if you want to go a bit old school anime. More comedy than action or drama, but it has a bit of all of it.

You could watch the old Berserk anime if you want something dark and gritty, but real good. Content warning for "high impact sexual violence", as the Aussies put it. Played for drama, has long term effects on the series, and it's made very clear that the rapist is a despicable monster for doing it so it's not gratuitous, but some people get way turned off by it even in that context. Avoid the new series like the plague.

Beowulf: Return to the Shieldlands (Esquire network/G4 tv series from last year) was all right. Just don't think about it too hard. Only got one season.

BWR
2017-05-29, 01:47 PM
Cool fantasy?
Dare I say it?
Ice Fantasy

Chinese series about two opposing realms of supernaturals who start fighting. We only got 5-6 episodes in before we gave up due to excessive melodrama and stupid events, but a lot of people seem to like it.

Other than that, seconding Johnathan Strange & Mr. Norrell for a short and interesting show.

Record of Lodoss War was great. I watched it and thought "This is exactly like those old BECMI games I played when I first started gaming". Turns out it was the author's D&D(ish) game in anime form. The sequel has some bad points but was generally enjoyable.

Faily
2017-05-29, 01:53 PM
Record of Lodoss War! Sure, it's an anime, and a little dated by today's standards, but it's very enjoyable.

Seconding Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell too. Yes it's not the usual "ye olde medieval ages"-period, but it's a cool story and an interesting take on magic into more modern times.

Dark Crystal is strongly recommended, and it will be getting its own Netflix-series too! :smallbiggrin: On that note, also gonna mention The Labyrinth. I lived on this movie when I was a kid.

Then there's always The Neverending Story (first movie is the best, but second one isn't too bad either).

Others... let's see... Mirror Mask, The Golden Compass, the Narnia movies (honorable mention to the old tv-show too!), Krull... pretty sure there's a lot more too, but I can't remember them all.

Solaris
2017-05-29, 02:01 PM
I didn't see Conan the Barbarian on the list. Hyboria is a great world!

Conan the Barbarian and even the 2011 Conan movie are both pretty watchable. Just skip Conan the Destroyer. It's blegh.

I'd recommend it only if you hate joy. It's no Tomb Raider, but it's still pretty dull. Worse, it has next to no world-building - even the Mummy trilogy has more world-building than the Prince of Persia movie.

Daer
2017-05-29, 03:31 PM
(romance of the)Three kingdoms is great, what now it might be bit difficult to find . live or anime both are great.

Leecros
2017-05-30, 09:40 AM
I greatly enjoyed the Netflix Marco Polo Series. It's a late-medieval era series about...well, the adventures of Marco Polo. Focusing on his years in the court of Kublai Khan.

Unfortunately, I'm probably in the minority for enjoying the series since it was cancelled after just two seasons. Just when things started getting interesting too....

(romance of the)Three kingdoms is great, what now it might be bit difficult to find . live or anime both are great.

Three Kingdoms is available to watch in its entirety on Youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmxJCPxmL7k&list=PLCldpz_Pc1FrGQLsaxaV0kVPqmXN_nanN&index=1). I can't guarantee that it hasn't been blocked in some countries and watching a series uploaded to YouTube probably without the consent of the owners of the series is of questionable legality and probably shouldn't be done if there is a better way to do so. Still, if there's no other choice. I believe all of the episodes are there(as of making this post).

Grey_Wolf_c
2017-05-30, 12:53 PM
Not a huge fan of musicals or comedies, but I couldn't find more information about this movie, is the title only Gallivant?

Rynjin An Enemy Spy misspelled the name. Try searching for Galavant (it's on Netflix).

This is the opening number (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWnDwM0RSX4) of season 1, which should give you an idea of whether its music & comedy is for you. FWIW, the music is by Menken (Beauty & the Beast, Aladdin, Tangled, etc.).

Grey Wolf

Grinner
2017-05-30, 01:03 PM
Pan's Labrynth - My second favorite movie, only after spirited away.

You may enjoy a film called Ink. It's currently on Amazon Prime and possibly also Netflix.

Rynjin
2017-05-30, 01:19 PM
Rynjin misspelled the name. Try searching for Galavant (it's on Netflix).

Don't blame me! Blame the Enemy Spy! It's his fault!

Grey_Wolf_c
2017-05-30, 01:22 PM
Don't blame me! Blame the Enemy Spy! It's his fault!

Do excuse me; you are absolutely right.

GW

tantric
2017-06-02, 05:20 AM
the Magicians on syfy. incredible show, urban fantasy. and no, Fillory isn't a Narnia knock off - you need to see what they do with it before calling that.

the Shannara Chronicles on mtv is WAY better than it has any right to be. still, there is puppy love and elf sexiness.

movies - Legend, ridley scott's mythic faerie tale fantasy. also has tim curry, aka dr. frankenfurter as satan.

Leewei
2017-06-02, 09:30 AM
Army of Darkness is A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court - with a zombie apocalypse. It is a classic.
Dragonslayer, the old Disney(!) movie is wonderful. Vermithrax Pejorative is the dragon that inspired every movie dragon that followed.
Princess Mononoke is breathtaking anime from Studio Ghibli. You cannot go wrong with anything these guys have made. English dub is not only watchable; it was written by Neil Gaiman!
Stardust, of course, also written by Gaiman.
Ladyhawke features Matthew Broderick, Michelle Pfeiffer (also in Stardust, above), and Rutger Hauer. The soundtrack has not aged well at all, but everything else about this movie still amazes.
Willow was pretty good.
Book of Kells is gorgeous, Celtic-inspired Western animation.
Forbidden City Cop is Eastern medieval action comedy. Like nearly everything by Stephen Chau, it is very enjoyable and loaded with slapstick.

tantric
2017-06-02, 07:30 PM
Book of Kells is gorgeous, Celtic-inspired Western animation.
Forbidden City Cop is Eastern medieval action comedy. Like nearly everything by Stephen Chau, it is very enjoyable and loaded with slapstick.

you make me think!

Sita Sings the Blues is an animated feminist version of the hindu classic Ramayana. free online at SitaSingstheBlues (http://www.sitasingstheblues.com/watch.html)

Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons is another S. Chau film based on the chinese classic Journey to the West. slapstick

Scarlet Knight
2017-06-03, 10:21 AM
Early twenties.

If you're willing to do Ancients, try Spartacus the series if you like GOT.

If you prefer less blood and sex, the movie with Kirk Douglas is also very good.

Rome is a great place to set a world.

The Troubadour
2017-06-03, 10:42 AM
Hmmm... Seems you have already watched plenty of the 70's/80's fantasy classics, and I believe people have already mentioned the ones you haven't, so let's see if I can break away from the mold a bit (I apologise if I end up suggesting something others already have):

Birkebeinerne (I believe it's called The Last King in English) (2016)
Black Death (2010)
The Golden Voyage of Sinbad (1973)
Hawk the Slayer (1980)
The Magic Sword (1961)
Wolfhound (2006) [WARNING: There's also a softcore movie named Wolfhound, so take care not to mix both up. If it helps, the one I'm suggesting is named Wolfhound of the Grey Hound Clan according to Wikipedia, although I've only ever seen it called Wolfhound]

They all have their strengths and weaknesses - especially "Hawk" -, but I liked all of them and I think all have something to offer to the genre.
Well, maybe not "Hawk", but it's still quite fun!

Then there's always The Neverending Story (first movie is the best, but second one isn't too bad either).

I absolutely loved how Bastian dealt with the antagonist in the second movie!

Darth Ultron
2017-06-03, 10:31 PM
Well, there are a bunch of ''historical type shows'', and most are not that bad:

Rome
Spartacus
Black Sails
Da Vinci's Demons
The ''bad'' Executioner
Camelot
The White Queen
Vikings

And shows like:

Legend of the Seeker
Outland
Once Upon a Time
Krod Mandoon and the Flaming Sword of Fire
The Shannara Chronicles

Some modern ones that still have lots of fantasy:
Supernatural
Highlander
Charmed

Movies:

Ladyhawk-I'll second this one.
The Beastmaster-is good fun, classic
Hercules-there were like three Hercules movies released like a couple years ago at about the same time. Plus you have the Hercules mini series (with Timothy Dalton as Hercs dad)
Dragonheart
Willow
The Never Ending Story
Labyrinth
Krull
The Dark Crystal

Westerns-are ''close'' like-

Deadwood
Westworld
Defiance
Firefly
Wyonna Errp

Watch some and see if you like any of them.