PDA

View Full Version : Amateur Alchemist Adventures IC

Pages : [1] 2

Mangles
2017-05-27, 09:41 PM
Your manager stands in front of you, a tall half elf with a pointed nose he holds to high. He has been waffling on for near on a half hour now about the importance of teamwork, business synergy and other corporate nonsense. Still you have managed to stay awake and look attentive enough not to draw his ire. Finally wrapping up his droning on of the required corporate jargon he releases you to complete your work.

Head office is determined to increase the amount of potions produced from this area and has you scouting for ingredients. Two suitable locations have come to their attention within a ten day of here. There is a druid grove to the north. The herbs within would greatly increase productivity in the area if they were harvestable, but the Druid is unwilling to comply.

Alternatively to the east is an old town that was pillaged and burned by Orcs a while ago. There was once an independent herbalist there who operated under heritage status, so the land should have what you are looking for. The Guild didn't intervene in the town's destruction, but now that the Orcs have moved on its fertile hills could benefit them once more.

You stand now at the center of town, prepared for the journey ahead, but where are you going?

RickAllison
2017-05-27, 10:17 PM
Chiming in as the clerk responsible for handling the logistics, Kosj declares, The guild will not be supplying you with much equipment for this job, as either of these appear to be rather mundane and certainly manageable tasks. Specific equipment may be requested and will be considered in the standard three-week circuit, but your primary aid will be furnished by your liaison. Which happens to be me. If you have any questions, I would be happy to share what information I have been given by my superiors, and your manager will intercede if he deems it pertinent and necessary. The 2' kobold is calm and collected, strictly business.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-05-27, 10:33 PM
The Professor cocked her head to the side - cracking her neck after the stationary and tedious 30 minutes of pretending to listen.

"A noncompliant druid sounds like a complication we don't need. Just finding the supplies involves enough variables in and of itself. Kosj, what's the situation with the raided town?"

The young woman turned to the rest of the group.

"Does anyone know? It must be more complicated than the elf made it sound..."

Archemist
2017-05-27, 10:47 PM
"I agree with the Professor, here. I think we should go look around at the spot the orcs had attacked, old Belford Roxo. Should be deserted, now, making for easy gathering with no-one watching." Lilli has her backpack ready to go and a flower tucked behind one ear (a dandelion, uninteresting as far as potion-ingredients go, unfortunately).

"I was there a few months ago but I wasn't looking for plants back then, but it was quiet and I could lead the way for now, at least."

Aardvark 001
2017-05-28, 03:12 AM
Rhizous leans on his staff, crouching slightly so he doesn't tower over his companions. "If I may speak, I agree with the Professor. Asking a druid to part with his grove would certainly be a difficult task. I would also prefer to travel to this ruined town, though it may be further away."

JbeJ275
2017-05-28, 04:18 AM
Finnegan says I don't want to have to fight with a druid, I say we head to the ransacked village while leaning back in his chair and sipping from a hip flask.

Cyber
2017-05-28, 04:37 AM
Paelias just absently nods like he agrees with something his 'companions' said. He completely lost in thoughts and even didn't tried to correct woman's remark about manager despite Non-Adran truly hates when half-human compared with real elves.

RickAllison
2017-05-28, 05:52 AM
The town has already been vacated by the orcs according to preliminary reports, but naturally other creatures may have moved in afterwards. Kosj shuffles some papers around before continuing. You may expect any of several weaker monsters including but not limited to goblin tribes, giant spiders, zombies, and common fauna. Larger creatures tend to prefer more developed and advantageous homes, which are then personalized and perfected according to their whims. A resourceless and defenseless hull of a town is undesirable for most powerful creatures.

JbeJ275
2017-05-28, 03:37 PM
Well shall we be off then? Finnegan asks, already thoroughly bored.

Aardvark 001
2017-05-28, 03:48 PM
Certainly, Rhizous says, trying to remember if their journey would bring them anywhere close to his village. I am ready to leave.

Archemist
2017-05-28, 03:54 PM
Lilli gladly sets off walking, since there seems to be a quick consensus about where to go. She says, "I know a shortcut out of the city that should get us there sooner. Let's be wary when we get close, though. Or maybe those zombies should've been warned to look out for us, instead." She laughs playfully.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-05-28, 04:09 PM
("Bravado. Interesting choice..." thought The Professor curiously - watching the fearless little woman striding ahead of the group. "Most likely a way to embolden the group despite the obvious danger. I will support her in this." she decided.)

"Right behind you, Lilli. I am likewise mentally prepared for the obstacles we face!"

RickAllison
2017-05-28, 04:18 PM
Then shall we be off? My familiar Altiui will return when we leave.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-05-28, 04:25 PM
Yes, collect your things and come along Kosj or you'll be late for the proverbial party

RickAllison
2017-05-28, 06:25 PM
Everything I need is in my pack.

JbeJ275
2017-05-29, 07:29 AM
Finnegan leaves, slipping out the door before anyone realised where he was.

Mangles
2017-05-29, 09:24 PM
You all head east towards Belford. The route starts off well used but as you stray from the high road it becomes increasingly dilapidated until it is little more than a scar on the earth your following. You make good progress and after the two day of walking you are about a half day away from your destination. You make camp, set a fire and try and get as comfy as possible.

In the middle of the night you are all awoken to chanting and the sound of drums. Torches can be seen surrounding you in the distance and 4 goblins wearing tribal masks and with spears raised, stride forward towards your group. Each coming in from a different angle. They are 30 feet away from you and closing.

Roll for initiative. If you roll better than a [roll0] you can act straight away. You are all currently prone.

RickAllison
2017-05-29, 09:32 PM
Initiative: [roll0]

Unless someone else creates a great opportunity to work from, Kosj will rise from the ground, use Minor Illusion to preserve that image along with a large backpack on the ground, and crouch down within the illusion. At Kosj's command, Altiui readied an action to fly the two of them far up, higher than the long range for spears.

Archemist
2017-05-29, 09:50 PM
"Wake up everyone, it looks like we're being attacked!" Lilli jumps up and grabs at her pack, which she slept curled around. Right on top is her whip, which she cracks in the air. "Stay back, goblins!" she yells. Warily, she looks for a route out, to run away. Not seeing one right away, she hesitates and draws a sword as well in her right hand.

Half-speed to stand up; can't reach a goblin with what's left. Will Ready an attack with the whip on the first goblin to get in range.

Lilli Nackle (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1213114)
Gnome (Rock) Ranger 1 CG

AC 13 HP 12 Speed 25ft

Str 12 (1) Dex 15 (2) Con 14 (2) Wis 14 (2) Int 12 (1) Cha 8 (-1)

Attacks
Shortsword(s) +4 1d6+2 s
Whip +4 1d4+2 s
Longbow +4 1d8+2 p
Net +4 -

Tinker: can spend 1 hr and 10gp to make clockwork toys, a firestarter, or a music box.

Favored Enemy: Undead. +2 to damage vs. them, Advantage on Survival checks to track them, or on Int checks to recall info about them. Can speak Undercommon.

Natural Explorer: Ignore difficult terrain when traveling. On overland map: can't get lost, can move stealthily at normal pace if alone, have 2x forage result, and Tracking creatures reveals more info.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-05-29, 11:33 PM
Initiative [roll0]

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-05-29, 11:51 PM
The Professor leapt to her feet. I can help. Lilli, Finnian, Paelias, do you see that gap in their armor on the side? she said. Her arms raised as she cast Bless on the three of them.

Aardvark 001
2017-05-30, 12:25 AM
Rolling for initiative: [roll0]

Rhizous jumps to his feet, his shield on his arm and his quarterstaff at the ready. He waits for the goblins to approach.

Ready an Attack with my quarterstaff to be triggered if a goblin comes within range.

Cyber
2017-05-30, 07:35 AM
Despite having some knowledge and insight in military matters (especially desert your post part) Paelias failed to perform all basic precautions against such primitive ambush. Well, at least his shield and sword was next to him. Bow... What a rotten luck. Yes, right. Ambush? Great. Still not able clearly to think, ignoring human woman shouts (as usual), he quickly found himself standing firmly on his feet with still sheathed blade in his left hand. Wait... who is to left to him? What's her name? Lilli... Elf make few steps toward li'l woman and with fast sweeping motion sends sword scabbard off blade - to fly away into darkness... and right above gnome ranger's head.

Half-speed to stand up;Move next to Lilli and Ready an Attack with 1H Longsword. Trigger: first enemy within attack range;

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

JbeJ275
2017-05-30, 10:05 AM
[roll0]

Whirling to his feet quietly hoping to avoid their immediate attention, Finnegan withdraws a dagger from his belt getting ready to throw it at a Goblin that comes within 20 feet.

Mangles
2017-05-30, 09:53 PM
The goblins close in within 20 feet of the party members before launching the attack. Throwing the spears at the armed individuals they have picked out before drawing their scimitars.

A Spear flys towards Lilli
[roll0] for [roll1]

Rhizous
[roll2] for [roll3]

Paelias
[roll4] for [roll5]

and in retaliation to the dagger towards Finnegan
[roll6] for [roll7]

Mangles
2017-05-30, 09:55 PM
The spear heading towards Finnegan seems to have unerring accuracy
Crit damage: [roll0]
But without much power behind it.

Archemist
2017-05-30, 10:36 PM
Lilli ducks the spear easily, and she chuckles, not knowing how close she'd come to dropping her own whip if the goblins had come closer, sooner, before she had a chance to fully prepare herself. She charges towards the nearest goblin and strikes out with her whip - and then closes in with her short-sword. "Let's make a hole in their circle so we can get out of here and hide!" she shouts to the others.

She moves up. Whip: [roll0] for [roll1], followed by a quick short-sword Bonus action: [roll2] for [roll3]. (I'd figured she never made her readied attack from last round, even though I'd preemptively rolled.)

Edited to add: forgot Bless, of course, in the above rolls. Not that I think it'd make a difference for either, but let me know.

Lilli's whip finds some purchase but her follow-up strike with the sword is caught by the goblin's scimitar and deflected away. Lilli motions to Paelias to come help.

RickAllison
2017-05-30, 11:32 PM
While the goblin is distracted by the two-weapon assault of Lilli, Kosj sneaks a bolt of magic into him from the illusion's outstretched hand!

Ray of Frost
To-hit with Pack Tactics: [roll0], [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
Crit: [roll3]
If it hits, speed is reduced by ten feet.

If the goblins approach to ten feet of Kosj and Altiui, he will fly the pair in the direction Lilli indicated so they bypass the goblins' reach.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-05-31, 03:17 AM
The Professor carefully pulled out her crossbow, Negotiation - keeping her eyes on the threat before her. I try to avoid hostilities if possible but you have forced my hand. Negotiation clicked into place and she fired it towards the unfortunate soul Finnian's dagger had gone flying past (/into).

If Finnian killed that goblin by himself, I aim for another living goblin

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-05-31, 03:21 AM
Attack[roll0]
Damage[roll1]

Cyber
2017-05-31, 03:39 AM
Paelias and gnome charged toward same enemy almost (Yes. Almost) simultaneously and elf even didn't bothered to evade spear what was thrown into his direction. After all miserable creature hurled it like a stick, with all possible (but still pitiful) might and missed for good 10' or more.

Move to same goblin as Lilli. If target goblin still alive after Lilli's attack, P. Attack him with 1H Longsword. Otherwise Search surroundings to check how many enemies still hides in darkness.

Bless: [roll2]
Perception: [roll3]

Aardvark 001
2017-05-31, 03:51 AM
Rhizous curses his luck. It seems that simply by being the largest in the group, he has made himself a target for the attackers. Very well. Chancing his arm in an all out attack, he charges at the nearest goblin with an enraged bellow.

Saving spell slots for now. Hopefully that doesn't backfire on me.

Aardvark 001
2017-05-31, 03:54 AM
As he strikes, Rhizous lends his fierce might to the blow. His size may make him an easier target but it also gives him a strength these goblins cannot withstand.

Wow! Lucky roll.

Damage for crit: [roll0]

JbeJ275
2017-05-31, 06:04 AM
Finnegan vaults at the nearest goblin that's already engaged with someone, attempting to stab it in the side.

Rapier: [roll1]
Sneak Attack: [roll2]

Mangles
2017-05-31, 09:26 PM
As two goblins fall dead on the ground, half the torches in the background seem to go out. The remaining two look at each other before starting to back off. Both of them retreat to towards a set of the remaining lights.

The unhurt goblins are now both 50 feet away from the party with their swords still held at ready.

Archemist
2017-05-31, 09:39 PM
Lilli looks around in surprise. "Weren't there more of them a second ago? Let's get these two before they can call for reinforcements."

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-01, 01:49 AM
The Professor nodded. Better to prevent the goblins from relating information about us to their allies she thought. Striding forward, she clicked Negotiation into place and fired a bolt at one of the goblins now spattered with the blood of its friend.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

She moves forward 15', coming to 35' away from the armed goblins

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-01, 01:55 AM
She thought back to what she had read about goblinoid anatomy. Their ribs were so close together - unlikely to get a bolt between them. She aimed for the throat instead...

Crit damage [roll0]

Mangles
2017-06-01, 02:08 AM
With the death of the third goblin another set of lights wink out. The mask of the last remaining goblin is suddenly wreathed in flame and the lights behind him flare, illuminating the ground like the sun in the early morning. His body ignites and a fiery shell seems to surround him. The goblins skin seems to burn and crack as if it is fueling the fire itself.

Mangles
2017-06-01, 02:44 AM
Professor Harvey recalls ancient magics which used a person's own blood and body to summon elemental power, often at the cost of their life. It seems the goblin is burning up his body to summon from the elemental plane of fire, although he clearly didn't cast anything to begin the process. The strength of the elemental is directly tied to how much health it can use of its sacrifice.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-01, 02:47 AM
Her eyes widened in shock as she watched her former enemy fry like a godly sausage. She tried looking back to see the expressions on her allies faces at this strange sight but it was dark here and her eyes were already narrowing from the fire. Think, think, think! the professor chided herself You must have read about flammable goblins before somewhere...

The Professor turned back to the group We've got company coming in hot!"

I'm guessing it takes an action to do a nature or arcana check on goblin flambe but I'm going to include my rolls here in case I can do it as a bonus action

(1d20+7)[18] it's the same bonus for both nature and arcana checks

Aardvark 001
2017-06-01, 03:18 AM
Rhizous sighs. I was afraid you were going to say that... He closes his eyes and begins casting a spell, moving towards the goblin to bring it within range.

Rhizous moves forward 20 feet and readies a Create or destroy water spell, planning to empty the water over the flaming goblin if he completes the summoning

JbeJ275
2017-06-01, 12:17 PM
Finnegan retrieves his dagger then sneaks towards the remaining foe.

Stealth check[roll0]

Archemist
2017-06-01, 12:28 PM
With the death of the third goblin another set of lights wink out. The mask of the last remaining goblin is suddenly wreathed in flame and the lights behind him flare, illuminating the ground like the sun in the early morning. His body ignites and a fiery shell seems to surround him. The goblins skin seems to burn and crack as if it is fueling the fire itself.

Glad the numbers of goblins are thinning, but not wanting to get too close to the flaming goblin, Lilli runs over and just hits at it with her whip, staying a little bit away.

"So wait, are you saying this goblin's on fire... on purpose? That wasn't you?" she calls over to the Professor.

[roll0] for [roll1] at the... whatever it is, staying at the 10' distance since it's a Reach weapon. If it is the goblin on the "opposite" side of the campsite to Lilli, rather than one of the ones closer to the goblin she originally attacked, I don't think she would've had enough movement speed to get to within range of it with the whip, so let me know if she would've had to stop and switch to her bow instead.

Edited to add: It seems Lilli's sleepiness IS still indeed a factor, as her whip cracks well short of the fiery creature. In the circuses, lions might respect a tamer who performed that sort of motion, but Lilli is neither intimidating nor intentional about it.

Lilli Nackle (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1213114)
Gnome (Rock) Ranger 1 CG

AC 13 HP 12 Speed 25ft

Str 12 (1) Dex 15 (2) Con 14 (2) Wis 14 (2) Int 12 (1) Cha 8 (-1)

Attacks
Shortsword(s) +4 1d6+2 s
Whip +4 1d4+2 s
Longbow +4 1d8+2 p
Net +4 -

Tinker: can spend 1 hr and 10gp to make clockwork toys, a firestarter, or a music box.

Favored Enemy: Undead. +2 to damage vs. them, Advantage on Survival checks to track them, or on Int checks to recall info about them. Can speak Undercommon.

Natural Explorer: Ignore difficult terrain when traveling. On overland map: can't get lost, can move stealthily at normal pace if alone, have 2x forage result, and Tracking creatures reveals more info.

RickAllison
2017-06-01, 01:07 PM
Kosj gives her familiar a very specific set of commands; Altiui will first fly in next to the remaining goblin so Kosj can fire a Ray of Frost at it using Pack Tactics, then he will Disengage and return to his mistress with her running up to meet him.

Best of [roll0] and [roll1] for the attack roll, [roll2] cold damage,
and another [roll3] if critical.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-01, 02:24 PM
"I don't have that kind of power!" the Professor called back "Some entity is using this fellow as a conduit to summon a creature from the plane of fire. I don't know how to stop it."

Mangles
2017-06-02, 07:39 AM
The goblin is completely consumed in the blaze and in front of you stands a small fire elemental. Rhizous water rains down on it and makes as the steam clears you can see its smaller again. It burns towards Lilli and tries to hit her with its flaming limb.

[roll0] for [roll1]

Archemist
2017-06-02, 11:01 AM
Lilli twists right out of reach of the fire-creature. Noticing Rhizous and Kosj making magical attacks, she says, "Oooh, cold water, that's a good idea."

She looks down at her sword and up at the creature, weighing briefly whether it would do any good. She decides to just distract the creature for the others, since they seem to be trying to douse it. And stabbing her sword-arm right into the flame might be hazardous to her health.

So Lilli dances back and forth in place, watching the fire carefully. "Over here, fire fire fire. That's right." She cracks her whip harmlessly in the air, on purpose this time, when it looks like it might move away from her.

Lilli will take the Dodge action (so that it has disadvantage if it attacks her).

Edited to add: the "right out of reach" description was just my take on it's "8" attack roll. She isn't actually moving out of the fire elemental's threatened area.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-02, 12:54 PM
Let's do a science experiment, you and I. the Professor thought to herself. She fired a shot at the flaming creature wanting to see if a bolt could damage it.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

RickAllison
2017-06-02, 03:01 PM
Kosj takes to the skies with the help of Altiui, flying over and past the flaming enemy to get an idea of what lies beyond.

With 120 ft of flying movement, Kosj will head beyond the creature until he is almost unable to get back to 60 ft from it. If she hasn't seen anything interesting to act on, she will return and strike the creature with Ray of Frost.

[roll0] [roll1]

[roll2], if crit then [roll3] extra cold

JbeJ275
2017-06-02, 06:13 PM
Finnegan emerges from behind the creature, lunging at it with both his rapier and his dagger

Rapier attack: [roll0] [roll1]
Dagger attack [roll2] [roll3]
Rapier Damage [roll4]+ Sneak Attack [roll5]
Dagger Damage [roll6]

Mangles
2017-06-03, 03:32 AM
The combination of attacks dissipate the flame elemental, leaving nothing behind of the goblin but lustrous ash. The remaining torches wink out and now only the grey of predawn and your failing fire light the area.

JbeJ275
2017-06-03, 03:05 PM
Finnegan scowls and picks overe the corpses, taking anything of value.

RickAllison
2017-06-03, 03:40 PM
Using Altiui, Kosj does a sweep of the perimeter to try and catch the source of the disappeared torches.

Archemist
2017-06-03, 04:26 PM
Lilli shakes her head. "Whew! I was hoping not to run into any trouble, but these goblins nowadays are real pests. What was that fiery thing at the end, there?"

Lilli also uses her decent-in-the-dark eyesight to look carefully around the campsite. "It sure looked like there were more of them. Was that just magic?"

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-03, 07:25 PM
"Yes they were overly pugnacious, weren't they." The professor replied "Perhaps their resources have dried up..."

She approached the ashey remnants of the slain fire elemental looking it over for any clues to it's summoning - anything she might have missed. "This fellow however... I've read about them. A fire elemental from another plane. You're lucky, Lilli. I believe this one is smaller than the average; we took it down rather quickly."

Investigate: [roll0]

Mangles
2017-06-03, 09:55 PM
Finnian finds the goblins weapons, crude as they are they are still effective. He also finds two empty potion bottles and one with a tiny bit remaining in it. Besides that the goblins themselves are clothed simply, although much of that was ruined by your counter attack and each sport a wooden mask inlaid with copper to form facial features. Each mask appears to somewhat resemble the goblin underneath, if the goblin were half demon perhaps.

Kosj sees torches staked into the ground at the four points the goblins came in from, they are completely devoid of flame, ember and heat. Underneath each set are runes burnt into the ground in a circle around the torches.

Lilli doesn't see any more goblins.

The Professor finds the elemental remains unusual. For one it shouldn't have any on this plane, but the goblins remains would not leave this ash that seems to be flecked with shiny dust. The Professor recognises it as an ingredient that can be used to create elemental water. This allows more potent alchemical devices to be created. In addition, elemental water made from fire elemental ash is key for alchemist fire. Within the ash is a small shard of glass. It seems that the goblin bound a fire elemental to be native to this plane, or somehow became a fire elemental itself.

RickAllison
2017-06-03, 10:15 PM
Kosj takes note of the runes, hoping to learn something from them later on. She returns to the group, eager for some breakfast.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-04, 04:02 AM
Professor Harvey stored a small pinch of the ash in a vial for her own research and stored the remaining ash and glass fragment in another pouch for the party. This will certainly be of value for our purposes...

"Are there any more goblins to fight?" she called out "Because I've something quite unusual here when we have a moment of peace."

She explained what she had learned about their recent enemy and showed the party the strange residue. All the while, she moved from corpse to corpse casting mending at random - looking for anything else of value to bring back to the guild or use for her own tinkering.

Perception: [roll0]

Archemist
2017-06-04, 02:34 PM
Lilli chimes in agreement for breakfast, and settles in with some rations around what's left of the campfire. "Maybe in the future one of us should keep watch just in case we have any other late-night visitors. I can see pretty well in the dark so I can help with that. Would that be overtime pay, though?"

When finished eating, she assists the professor in looking around the immediate area one last time. "I guess we can start looking around for other useful plants if we're close - maybe make a circle around the town first."

RickAllison
2017-06-04, 02:42 PM
Kosj can't help but cackle when Lilli mentions being paid overtime. Kosj's boss is lucky if his superiors give him overtime, much less plebeians like this crew... (And herself, she admits in her quiet internal voice.)

JbeJ275
2017-06-04, 03:03 PM
Lilli chimes in agreement for breakfast, and settles in with some rations around what's left of the campfire. "Maybe in the future one of us should keep watch just in case we have any other late-night visitors. I can see pretty well in the dark so I can help with that. Would that be overtime pay, though?"

When finished eating, she assists the professor in looking around the immediate area one last time. "I guess we can start looking around for other useful plants if we're close - maybe make a circle around the town first."

Yeah, lets spread out, I'll go with you.

With this he leaves with her.

and continues, Look something you've got to learn, the guys at the top here give you enough money to keep you working for them and not a copper more.
There is no winning that way
Rolling Investigation to find the herb patches [roll0]

Mangles
2017-06-05, 04:51 AM
The Professor finds a few odd bits of metal and stone in the goblins pockets, the clothing they are wearing is now stab hole free but is still of poor quality and has a certain funk about them that would turn away most sensible people.

Lilli finds a few scant herbs but certainly not the garden that was described to them by the manager.

The sun rises and a half days march to the east lies the town you are trying to seek. Do you have any more business here before you set off?

Archemist
2017-06-05, 10:26 AM
"I dunno. I guess we should bury the goblins? Or maybe burn them - one of them is already kinda halfway burned."

If the others have any interest in either method, Lilli will help. She is surprisingly strong for someone so short. But she's also ok to keep walking. "Either way, I guess they'll be a warning for others coming down this road, goblin or otherwise."

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-05, 11:14 AM
"Local fauna should see to their corpses. I don't think we need to concern ourselves with that." The Professor hoisted her pack onto her back. "Let's go and try to be quiet once we get close"

Sneak: [roll0] plus guidance [roll1]

RickAllison
2017-06-05, 11:31 AM
At least one of them should be butchered. Lotta protein that would go to waste if you buried them.

Aardvark 001
2017-06-05, 01:46 PM
Rhizous shudders at Kosj's words. I think we should move along. The sooner we come to the town, the sooner we can leave. I do not think it would be wise to stay in these parts too long.

RickAllison
2017-06-05, 02:54 PM
True, true. And it would be too heavy for Altiui anyway. Kosj offers her elbow to Rhizous as a gesture of goodwill for making them uncomfortable.

Mangles
2017-06-06, 06:26 AM
You all set off to the village and arrive without further incident. You enter the western edge of the village. It was clearly a one corner town. The single road that runs through it is sided by ruined buildings. On the only corner is one of the three remaining structures. In contrast to the rotten wood ruins that lead to it, it is made of stone. Opposite the stone building what was once a two story building. The top floor is missing most of the walls and the roof only covers a single corner. A sign hanging on the side shows a Hare chasing a Hound. The last remaining structure is a gallows at the far end of town across a small courtyard. It looks in much better condition than the buildings around here, either much newer or well looked after. A river runs through the town with a a bridge allowing you to cross and enter the town.

Your target is known to be off the main road a small way. The quickest way would be over the bridge and through the center town passing the Hare and Hound and the Stone building. You could always skirt the edges of town, passing only the gallows. Another option would be to go around the long way, heading upstream to another bridge and essentially all the way around the town. The last option would probably add another day to your trip.

Aardvark 001
2017-06-06, 06:40 AM
Rhizous looks around, trying to spot any signs of trouble. If their manager was correct, this place is crawling with dangerous beasts. It would be wise to know what they might face.

Survival to check for signs and tracks nearby [roll0]

JbeJ275
2017-06-06, 06:55 AM
I say we go by the gallows.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-06, 11:43 AM
"I agree with you Finnegan; there's almost certainly something in those building that would ambush us if we walked past..." She stared at the gallows. Strange that it would be in relatively good condition. It could be a new addition by the invading orcs but lawful executions doesn't typically match their style.

Archemist
2017-06-06, 12:00 PM
"Gallows are creepy, though. Ah well. It's true I'd rather skirt the town than walk right through it."

Lilli, unlike Rhizous, looks down as she walks and examines the ground and plants, looking for any recent tracks or things of interest.

RickAllison
2017-06-06, 01:14 PM
I agree on avoiding the buildings. At least by skirting the city, we can see them and assess.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-06, 06:35 PM
Kosj, do you think that as we're walking your feathered friend could get a look at the buildings from a higher perspective? Might lend some insight."

RickAllison
2017-06-06, 08:23 PM
Altiui, be a dear and look at things from above for me. Wheel around the way we came and come back at, oh, seven hundred feet. Be a normal hawk, and see what you can find.

Archemist
2017-06-07, 04:07 PM
Lilli, examining the ground as the group goes, walks slightly in front of the others. She sees an especially cool-looking striped pebble and picks it up. After a few moments she decides to pocket it, and continue walking.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-07, 04:13 PM
The Professor sees the small ranger pensively examining the ground. "Did you find a clue as to the inhabitants of this land, Lilli? I don't know much about tracking myself."

Mangles
2017-06-07, 04:26 PM
Altiui sees very little signs of life from her skyward search, and not much of note that you didn't already know.

The group could fit all 5 abreast if they wanted to while walking the main road, but two would be walking in the grass on the smaller side street.

Could i get a marching order?

Archemist
2017-06-07, 04:43 PM
She replies, "Nah, I just like ones that are different. It's just a rock." She smiles sheepishly, not used to anyone questioning her when she collects things.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-07, 05:43 PM
"Ah" There was a silence as the Professor tried to think of a way to contribute to the conversation. She glanced over at the small rock.
"You know, striped rocks typically contain quartz and feldspar. Useful for certain spells" She cleared her throat. "Good eye"

Archemist
2017-06-08, 07:49 PM
"Sometimes I pick up stuff from places I travel to - especially if the group of us gets into some interesting places together."

Mangles
2017-06-09, 05:42 AM
As you approach the stench of rotting flesh attacks your senses. You see 6 figures under the noose in a pit, sitting in a group of 4 and 2. Caged in by a wood barrier erected to separate the crowd from the corpse. Each figure is deathly grey and has a loose noose around its neck like a tie. Bruises show where it sat when it killed them. Low moans come from the other side of the barrier. They don't seem to have noticed your approach yet. You are all 60 feet out. You would need to pass within 10 feet of the gallows to avoid the stone building and the Hare and Hound. There is a side alley between two buildings about 30 feet away from the gallows towards you, but that would lead you to the back of the stone building.

Mangles
2017-06-09, 09:08 AM
Lilli knows that these are probably zombies, from the smell as much as their looks, but they are acting funny. Zombies don't normally sit let alone in groups.

Archemist
2017-06-09, 10:21 AM
"Hold up, everyone. Shhhhh.

"I think those guys aren't really alive. We probably can't get by them without being noticed, and they can be difficult to... re-kill.

"Do you think that cage will hold them if we slip by?"

Lilli seems nervous but also kind of fascinated by the zombies. "I've never seen so many of this sort of thing all together."

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-09, 11:16 AM
The Professor stared at the creatures. She'd seen corpses to be sure - made a few herself. But these living dead were new to her.

"You're familiar with these creatures, Lilli? What makes them difficult to kill? I confess I had hoped we could just stand back and shoot them one by one... Though I suppose they might be quite loud while dying."

She turned her attention to the wooden cage like structure and tried to surmise if it was build to keep the creatures in. And if it could do so if they were angered.

Investigate [roll0]

Archemist
2017-06-09, 11:58 AM
"We could try the shooty idea, sure. It's just that, since they're already kinda dead, stuff that might kill a normal person might not hurt them as much."

Lilli tries to figure out what the undead things are doing in the groups. Playing cards? Eating... breakfast?

Let me know if you want a perception roll but she'll take her time, assuming nobody is doing anything rash.

RickAllison
2017-06-09, 01:40 PM
Kosj grumbles, If these warmbloods weren't so dang heavy, we could fly over...

Mangles
2017-06-09, 05:38 PM
The gallows seems sturdy enough to keep a regular man inside. The undead seem to be trying to communicate, its too quiet to hear more but murmurs and groans, but they are gesticulating wildly.

Finnian slips by too the other side without gaining the attention of the undead.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-09, 07:16 PM
"Interesting." The Professor made a mental note to research these undead when she had time.
"Well that cage seems sturdy to me. Maybe we could try to sneak through and only shoot if they notice us. What do you think, Finnigan? Could we sneak past them?"
She looked around.
"Finnigan?"

JbeJ275
2017-06-10, 06:50 AM
Finnegan continues onward, staying hidden but trying to determine the location of the herbs they were sent here for.

Mangles
2017-06-11, 05:32 PM
Finnegan finds his way without trouble to the herbalist building. Behind it is what used to be a well tended field. Weeds overgrow the plots, and much of the path that winds through it is cracked or missing.

Archemist
2017-06-12, 02:59 PM
"Hmm. Any ideas? It seems like the dead-ish things might be trying to communicate... but I'm not sure how close we want to get. It'll be hard for us all to sneak by."

RickAllison
2017-06-12, 04:18 PM
Let me try something... Kosj sits down to ritual-cast Comprehend Languages unless she has to stop for some reason. When the spell is finished, she bids Altiui to approach the undead and alight like he wants some carrion so she can hear the creatures.

JbeJ275
2017-06-12, 05:02 PM
Finnegan first scans the place for any hostile inhabitants:

Perception roll: [roll0]

If he can't se any threats he proceeds inside, still making every effort to be quiet

Stealth roll: [roll1]

If he still sees no opposition he proceeds to search the place, retrieving the most valuable herbs for the guild as well as tools used in their growing and harvesting

Investigation check: [roll2]

If he finds any money, or treasure unrelated to herbs he keeps that for himself

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-12, 06:01 PM
As the Professor waited for the spell to be prepared, she looked around for something to do. She noticed Rhizous slowly bleeding out without complaint. She was surprised she hadn't noticed it before - he was half dead.
"Let me help you. I'm good at this." she said quietly not wanting to disturb the ritual.
She reached out and cast Cure Wounds. [roll0]

Mangles
2017-06-12, 06:12 PM
The undead pay little attention to the bird, but Altiui can only hear sound coming from one of the group of four. The other five make no sound as their mouths move and arms gesture about. From what Altiui can gather the one who can talk is angry at the people in the stone building.

The Professors casting doesn't appear to be noticed by the undead men.

Finnegans search of the building and its garden turns up enough herbs for the Guild to be satisfied. He also finds a sealed leather bag with a book detailing basic herbalism and alchemy. A person with a little knowledge could use it to cook up some basic potions and ointments.

Finnegan also finds a silver brooch shaped like an oak leaf.

Aardvark 001
2017-06-13, 12:12 AM
Rhizous gives the Professor a smile. Thank you, he whispers. I did not wish to use a spell in case we need it in battle. He looks at the group of undead creatures and frowns. You know, I could cast a spell to distract them and allow us to sneak past.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-13, 12:43 AM
"A life is of greater value than a bit of magical energy. And I do you're right; we must sneak past these strange creatures. I fear our friend has already done so and might be in danger even as we speak."

Aardvark 001
2017-06-13, 02:50 AM
Very well, Rhizous says. Once Kosj has finished listening to the undead figures, Rhizous uses his magic to create a sound in the cage like that of a small animal squeaking and scurrying. He cats it going in the direction opposite the one where he and his friends are hidden. Hopefully that should distract them for long enough while they sneak past.

Casting druidcraft to distract the undead while the PCs sneak past. I'm thinking that should count as a help action and give us an advantage on our Stealth check. If not, just ignore the second roll.

Stealth [roll0]
Stealth if advantage [roll1]

Two natural 1s?! That's just too unlucky.

Mangles
2017-06-13, 07:11 AM
The unidentified squeaking of the only distracts the undead for a moment before Rhizous trips on some rubbish on the ground, kicking it in the process. He manages to catch himself before he falls, but a pile of crates stacked against the wall nearby come crashing down in front of him, knocked over by the loose rubbish he kicked. The undead are quick to stand and move to the barrier of their enclosure. The one that can talk gestures them closer, you can almost make out the words "Come closer. Need to speak. Need your help."

JbeJ275
2017-06-13, 09:55 AM
Finnegan sneaks back into the group.

[roll0]

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-13, 10:05 AM
The Professor, who was in the process of pulling out her crossbow, suddenly stops. Intelligent creatures? That changes things... She didn't realize they were able to communicate before.

She walks forward to the one reaching out without a second thought - forgetting Rhizous lying flat on the ground.

"Can you understand my words? What is your business here? Are you prisoners?"

Insight to sense creature's motives: [roll0]

Archemist
2017-06-13, 10:07 AM
Lilli is surprised to hear the zombie-things speak. She edges cautiously closer, to about 30 feet away or so, and extends a hand to grab the Professor's pant-leg before she gets too close. To the undead, she says, "What's the matter? I'm not sure what we could possibly do for you at this point - " she gestures around at their rather unwell condition " - unless maybe you just want eternal rest or something."

The Professor is a ninja, haha. Also: TWO natural 1's? Rough.

RickAllison
2017-06-13, 10:27 AM
Kosj mentally calls back Altiui when the bird spots the returning agent. He might have had some luck and their goal does not include helping undead.

Mangles
2017-06-13, 03:50 PM
The undead man moves the rope tie, clear purple bruises line mark his neck and throat. "Hard to..." the rest is lost. He sighs in frustration and beckons you closer. "Help" "freedom", "revenge" can be heard but all the rest of the words are to quiet to hear.

The Professor gets a sense of frustration and anger.

Finnegan returns to the group without incident, still out of site with the rest pulling the undeads attention away.

JbeJ275
2017-06-13, 03:52 PM
Finnegan holds up the bag of herbs. Well, shall we go then?

Archemist
2017-06-13, 04:11 PM
"Oh, Finnegan! There you are. Go... where? What's in the bag?

"I'm pretty sure we don't want to just leave these dead guys hanging. ... Sorry, couldn't help myself."

JbeJ275
2017-06-13, 04:37 PM
Finnegan pauses for a moment before trying to remember if he got paid by time spent, or if it was a base rate per job completed.

Mangles
2017-06-13, 05:06 PM
You have a wage coming in monthly. Underperformance will result in termination.

JbeJ275
2017-06-13, 05:10 PM
Well, sure we definitely need to stay here for an entirely reasonable and not at all underperformy but still significant period of time, just in order to get the herbs of course.

RickAllison
2017-06-13, 05:27 PM
Kosj takes notes on the party's discussion. Notably, she gives a commendation to Finnegan for his use of skills and wits to accomplish the objective quickly.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-13, 07:40 PM
The Professor was solely focused on the task at hand - paying little attention to the discussion behind her (except to note the wordplay).

She reached forward to the man trying to speak and touched him. She willed Ioun's power to flow into him, casting Guidance in the process.

Then, carefully, she moved to loosen the rope around his neck. "Let me remove this for you. I want you to explain your situation."

Aardvark 001
2017-06-14, 06:05 AM
Rhizous stands up sheepishly and distress himself off. Did the orcs do this to you? Or was it someone different?

Mangles
2017-06-14, 06:22 AM
The mans voice is barely a whisper but he seems more at ease now that you are close.

"Sorry i know we smell, but the drop caused most of us to loose our voice. Only a drunk for a hangman left me with mine. Three of us were scavengers, two of the boys back here and I. Part of a the troupe that now resides in the stone building. Uncovered something that the orcs left behind. A weapon of sorts. There was a play for control of it, and we got caught up on the wrong side. Then a wanderer and then a pair passing through to sell wares in another town. Far as I've found out from talking, such as we can. There only offence was walking past the building. Free us so we can fight them, we want revenge so that we can rest. Or better yet help us fight them, we will outnumber them if you join us. You can have whatever they have found."

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-14, 08:50 AM
"I see. Don't worry, I'll let you out in a moment."

She turned and walked back to her companions.

"Can anyone give me a logical reason why we shouldn't A. let them out (which I plan to do) and B. help them and then sieze that weapon (which I'm debating in my head)."

Archemist
2017-06-14, 12:12 PM
Lilli shrugs at the Professor's suggestion, but she looks around nervously. "I'm not sure we should trust them... Maybe we should go ask the people in the house, first, what happened." She draws her sword again and adds, "If you're gonna let them out, let's at least be ready in case they turn against us. Hopefully they won't take that personally."

Aardvark 001
2017-06-14, 12:28 PM
How did you come to be undead though? Rhizous asks. The druid is not fond of such abominations against nature, but it seems that their state is not their own fault. Besides, it must be strange magic which destroys a body thus but keeps the mind completely intact.

Rolling arcana to remember if he's heard of anything like this before [roll0]

JbeJ275
2017-06-14, 12:47 PM
Finnegan clears his throat then says. Guy's we don't need to deal with the zombies, I already got the stuff. He then holds up the bag of herbs and books.

Archemist
2017-06-14, 01:49 PM
"Oh, great! That was quick."

Lilli adds more quietly, "I kinda don't want to just leave these guys up and about, either way... they need their beauty rest, if you know what I mean?"

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-14, 02:24 PM
The Professor listened to each response and responded deliberately.

"Lilli, just two minutes ago you thought these creatures were unable to communicate and it turned out that was incorrect. Now you think they are unable to be trusted and, no offense implied, that may easily also be incorrect.

Finnigan, if this weapon is a valuable as it's implied to be, procuring it and returning it to the guild would set us apart as a competent group. Could even put us in line for a promotion if we play our cards right.

But most importantly, these are intelligent creatures, not some thoughtless beasts. They won't attack without provocation.

They've given me no excuse to not treat them as decent folk yet."

Harvey was used to this reaction, coming from the "badlands" herself. Others saw her as almost bestial, unworthy of trust, incapable of higher thought. It bothered her to see this behavior again directed at anyone - dead or alive.

She felt the need to drive her point home. She walked back to the gallows and passed her tiny dagger handle-first to the creature who had spoken with her. Then she turned her back to him to face the group, standing within the creature's easy reach.

"You see? He's not a mindless killing machine. He has no quarrel with us."

She isn't trying to defend herself or looking. If the zombie tries to stab her, it's an auto-hit (and would comically cut her speech short)

RickAllison
2017-06-14, 03:06 PM
If it is as powerful as they say, the group should keep it for future missions. Remember the lack of resources given to you? That won't change much. Instead, any extra resources found may be utilized by the finders. That weapon may or may not be useful to the guild and thus consideration may or may not be given. Using it to accomplish missions, however, certainly is helpful and certainly will be rewarded.

This isn't entirely true, but is certainly common practice.

Aardvark 001
2017-06-14, 03:25 PM
I dislike undead, Rhizous says, leaning on his quarterstaff. And I dislike necromancers even more. I agree with the Professor. What is happening here is most unusual.
I am inclined to root out any evil before it spreads.

Besides, a powerful artefact may prove to be a threat to our store in future. It would be good to investigate these stories before we leave.

Mangles
2017-06-14, 06:19 PM
The undead man takes the dagger and puts his other hand out. "I'll be needing my rope back too, that way he can't do this too me twice. Name is Darv by the way. Do you mind taking out the silver stakes at each corners so we can leave?"

RickAllison
2017-06-14, 06:48 PM
I will grab them! Kosj uses Altiui to fly to as many as she can, stowing them in her satchel. Silver is silver.

Mangles
2017-06-14, 06:53 PM
As soon as the stakes were removed, Darv and his crew pulled down the wood wall separating you all from them. "Good, good. Keep those stakes handy, they seem to make a barrier against the undead, might be useful against the whip. I still need the noose please, and then we go. Are you lot coming with us?"

Archemist
2017-06-14, 07:10 PM
As soon as the stakes were removed, Darv and his crew pulled down the wood wall separating you all from them. "Good, good. Keep those stakes handy, they seem to make a barrier against the undead, might be useful against the whip. I still need the noose please, and then we go. Are you lot coming with us?"

"Mister Darv, Sir, please, what happened? Why did they turn on you? And how do you know that if you kill them they won't just wind up not-quite-dead, too?

Also, wait, what whip? Is that the weapon?"

She still seems a bit surprised that these dead folks are so different than in the stories.

Mangles
2017-06-14, 07:26 PM
"Yeah the whip is the weapon. When it strikes you it wraps a noose around your neck. We got in a disagreement who should hold onto the new weapon. We weren't the ones who wanted it, just supported the guy who did. He is porper dead. They built a gallows, then struck us one by one. Did the drop once the noose was there. Unlike the others, mine didn't break my neck. Only reason I can talk so I spose i should be thankful. Certainly wasn't at the time. Once we were cut free of the whip we found ourselves alive again. They were ready for that though, had the cage and the stakes in place. Made us watch the others die, even once we had. Left us to literally rot, in the cage. My hope is that having a noose around the neck means they can't put a second one there."

The other undead start breaking up the wood boards, fashioning it into clubs.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-14, 08:43 PM
The Professor hands the noose back to Darv. "I'm glad we came along when we did."

She turned to her companions. "We don't have to assist them if you don't want.
Especially now that we might be hung. But I think Rhizous is right - why leave when we can stop evil from spreading and also gain a powerful artifact?

At the very least I plan to shoot what I can from the road."

She starts helping the undead with their weapons.

JbeJ275
2017-06-15, 02:54 AM
Magic kit is magic kit, I won't go in through the main way with you fellows but I'll be looking to get the drop on them.

Mangles
2017-06-16, 07:57 PM
The undead are nearly finished with their weapons, making some final adjustments to their clothes, feeling the weight. "We are going in the front door. They won't be ready for us, we will move fast as we can but we are trying to keep casualties to a minimum. Some of those in there were our friends once, and weren't our enemies. If you can leave them alive, that would be for the best." It's time for the party to decide what they are going to do.

Archemist
2017-06-16, 08:11 PM
Lilli continues to be dumbfounded, ironically, by these very-not-mindless zombies. She readies her sword and fishes in her pack for her net. "Let's see how many of these folks we can keep alive, eh? It's not right what they did to you, but we're not assassins."

She'll hang back by the door until the zombies have gone inside, and decide whether to go in based on what happens. She's glad the zombies don't seem to be just intent on killing *all* the living folks.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-16, 10:43 PM
The Professor draws her crossbow again and takes a position behind Lilli. "I'll cover you, ranger. And follow your lead."

RickAllison
2017-06-16, 11:03 PM
I am not fool enough to stand with you all, but I'll do what I can from a distance! Kosj stands behind them, with Altiui on her shoulder.

JbeJ275
2017-06-17, 03:29 AM
Finnegan sneaks around the building attempting to find a window he could enter through on the other side to the door.

Aardvark 001
2017-06-17, 04:35 AM
Rhizous hangs back wordlessly until the undead have entered. Once he hears the sound of battle coming from the building, he smiles. The firbolg is not the most stealthy member of the party, but he has a trick up his sleeve.

Slipping his shield over his arm, he focuses on his fey ancestry. The magic of the feywilds hides him from sight as he rushes in through the front door, hoping to get a sense of what they're entering into.

Using the hidden step feature to turn invisible and dash into the building, heading for the sounds of battle.

Mangles
2017-06-19, 06:05 PM
Finnegan sees nothing on the ground floor, but there are some windows on the second floor that are open.

The first floor is a single room, with smaller tables and chairs pushed to the walls, a single long table dominates the centre of the room, filled with plates and mugs. Two wooden staircases, one either side of the room, lead to a second floor. It overlooks the front half of the lower room. It too has no dividers, being a single room, but seems much less cluttered than the floor below.

The undead charge in lead by Darv and engage the men in the stone fort. In general it seems a very even battle, but two different undead are outnumbered two to one, and Darv has chased the man with the whip to the second story and seems to be having trouble holding his own.

JbeJ275
2017-06-19, 06:37 PM
Noting that the firbolg has not yet entered Finnegan calls out Rhizous, where are ya, I need a boost up to those windows.

Aardvark 001
2017-06-20, 06:57 AM
Rhizous allows the fey magic to fall off him as he charges up the stairs, straight for the man with the whip. This is going to be a risk, but he hopes it pays off. He starts casting a spell, building up the energy as he runs towards the fight. When he reaches the fighters, he grabs Darv and throws him to the ground as far as he can, hoping to shield the undead man from his spell. Then, he lets loose his pent up energy, releasing it in a wave that explodes through him with a thunderous roar.

Initiative [roll0]
Throwing Darv strength check [roll1]
Thunderwave [roll2]

Archemist
2017-06-20, 08:54 AM
Lilli's not sure what that big noise was. She decides it's time to help out, though.

She runs in towards the closest "unfair" fight and tries to even it up by throwing her net on one of the two attackers. "We know what you did! Stop fighting and we'll show mercy!"

Net toss: [roll0] (no damage, but DC10 Str check to escape, or do 5 slashing damage to it to cut it off.)

RickAllison
2017-06-20, 10:17 AM
Kosj does not intend to put herself on the line so brazenly as her comrades. Let's even the odds... or tilt them farther in our favor, she whispers. Kosj takes a handful of sand and, weaving magic into it, blows it into the room, being careful not to catch Rhizous or any of her other non-undead allies.
Rock-a-bye baby in the tree top...

[roll0]. As I understand it, only our allies are zombies, and not the guys with the whip.
If this is wrong, Kosj would choose a different spell. If it is right, Sleep covers a 20-ft radius area which may be enough to cover most of the enemies (but note that most of the enemies won't be affected). Starting from the enemy with the least HP, their current HP is subtracted from the 5d8 above, followed by the next-lowest, and so on.
For each enemy that has their HP totally subtracted, they are put into a deep sleep. They are unconscious (incapacitated, drops what it is holding, prone, fails Str and Dex saves automatically, attack rolls against them have advantage, and attacks within 5 feet are critical hits if they hit) until the spell ends (1 minute duration), someone takes an action to slap or shake them awake (not just to shout; basically, it takes an action per sleeping enemy),
or they take damage.

Mangles
2017-06-20, 08:16 PM
Darv is barely nudged by Rhizous and is unfortunately not clear of the thunder wave that pushes him across the room. The man with the whip weathers the force, remaining on his feet unmoved. He grins baring his teeth at Rhizous and strikes back with his whip.

[roll0] for [roll1]

A rope forms around Rhizous neck, quickly forming a noose and cutting off his airway.

Lillis net goes wide, not capturing her intended target. It does get his attention however and evens up the fight as her turns on Lilli instead. He slashes at her with his sword.

[roll2] for [roll3]

Kosj's spell manages to cause two of the men to fall asleep. The other undead who was fighting two people is now only fighting one. One undead man is now opponent less. Seeing an opportunity he runs and tackles one of the living still standing. Two against one in the undeads favor now.

Archemist
2017-06-20, 08:37 PM
Lilli's net goes wide, not capturing her intended target. It does get his attention however and evens up the fight as her turns on Lilli instead. He slashes at her with his sword.

Lilli looks up at the man. "Oho, so that's how it is, then?"

She swipes at his knees with her sword, and draws her second sword with her left hand, and thrusts out quickly with it. She doesn't seem like a very trained warrior, but she growls fiercely. Lilli isn't about to let the man take a swing at her without retaliation. "You messed with the wrong lady!"

Action to attack, Bonus action for off-hand.
[roll0] for [roll1]
[roll2] for [roll3]

RickAllison
2017-06-20, 08:57 PM
Kosj fires a bolt of cold at one of the standing living!

[roll0] and [roll1] to hit; [roll2] cold damage, [roll3] extra on a crit.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-20, 09:42 PM
The Professor followed Lilli into the room. Quickly assessing the situation, she divided this wasn't the time for diplomacy and logic. Time for Plan B: a bolt to the face.
She took aim at the opponent headed for Lilli
Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

JbeJ275
2017-06-21, 04:49 AM
Finnegan guesses that Rhizous is gone and so he attempts to climb into the second floor window.
Once he's in he will hurl a dagger at the whip wielder

[roll0]Climbing Roll
Attack Roll [roll1]
Dagger damage[roll2]
I bet you weren't expecting a Halfling through the window damage [roll3]

Aardvark 001
2017-06-22, 04:31 AM
Rhizous panics as his spell fails to make any impact. What strange magic is this? He struggles with the rope, trying to cut it with his spear

[roll0] for [roll1] damage

Natural 1. Brilliant.

Mangles
2017-06-22, 06:17 PM
Lillis attacker goes down from the combined harrying, and the undead she helped knocks out his opponent.

Kosj's bolt freezes up another living allowing her to be taken to the ground.

The Undead seem to have gained the upper hand. One of the living is trussed up and two are unconscious. The fourth that was facing Lilli is bleeding out. The undead seem unconcerned about their injuries and now look to the remaining 3 living on the first floor.

On the second floor, the whip wielder is narrowly missed by a dagger from the window. He pushes down on the whip trying to force Rhizous to the ground. (DC [roll0] strength check or considered prone.) With the movement the rope seems to tighten dealing [roll1] damage. The whip wielder pulls out a short sword in his other hand.

Darv locks eyes with Rhizous but seems resolved to attack. Charging the whip wielder his swipe with the dagger is fended off.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-22, 10:47 PM
The Professor strode forward to the man with the whip. "Let him go! We have gained the upper hand and would prefer to not kill you all. Let him go and we can discuss this."

Persuasion [roll0]
Extra roll if you want advantage because what I'm saying is true OR disadvantage because I just killed someone...
[roll1]
Other players, feel free to continue attacking if you want to. I'm not trying to make decisions for the group.

Mangles
2017-06-23, 01:06 AM
The man points with his sword at Darv. "Not until he dies."

Aardvark 001
2017-06-23, 01:19 AM
Rhizous tries to use his giant like strength to stay upright. [roll0]

Aardvark 001
2017-06-23, 01:22 AM
He manages to stay up but the pain around his neck is excruciating. He strikes out wildly at the man with his spear.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Archemist
2017-06-23, 01:24 AM
The man points with his sword at Darv. "Not until he dies."

"He's already dead. What'd he ever do to you anyhow?"

Mangles
2017-06-23, 01:59 AM
"He raised them as undead slaves under his control. I thought his first death would stop it, maybe his second will."

Darv replies. "We chose revenge rather than an unjust death at your hands. You turned us into this."

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-23, 10:51 AM
The Professor reaches into her bag to pull out a small knife she uses for her herbalism. She starts to help cut Rhizous out of his noose. People really do always find a way to hurt each other. Our determination to do so seems like energy that could be put elsewhere.

Archemist
2017-06-23, 12:07 PM
Lilli replies, "Having trouble believing you, Mister, since you were just trying to do the same to my friend here with that whip. Darv has been nice, waayyy nicer than any zombie I've met (no offense, mister Darv)."

Mangles
2017-06-24, 04:08 AM
The professor manages to cut the rope while it's wielder is focused on Darv. They clash again and Darv appears worse for wear.

JbeJ275
2017-06-24, 05:36 AM
Finnegan leaps from the window bounding towards the wielder of the whip Rapier in hand, he goes to stab the whip wielder.

[roll]1d20+5[roll]
[roll]1d8+3[roll]

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-24, 10:06 AM
The Professor checks if Rhizous is breathing again. "You okay?" she asks while loading her crossbow. Then she turns and fires at the man attacking Darv.

[SPOILER=Attack]
[roll0]
[roll1]

Aardvark 001
2017-06-24, 03:31 PM
Rhizous falls to his knees with a hacking cough. He massages his injured neck and nods at the Professor's question. His throat feels like it's on fire. With unsteady steps he managed to get to his feet.

Mangles
2017-06-25, 04:08 PM
The incoming fire is to much for the man. He falls to the ground, succumbing to his wounds. Darv slits his throat. "In case your raised, see if you can talk through that."

RickAllison
2017-06-25, 04:40 PM
Hearing Darv's success, Kosj has Altiui flu her up and readies an action to fire a Ray of Frost at him if he makes makes any aggressive actions or tries to take the whip. She doesn't trust this stranger.

JbeJ275
2017-06-25, 05:05 PM
Finnegan immediately retrieves the whip and returns to his spot by the window.

Mangles
2017-06-25, 05:57 PM
Darv looks at the angry bird and the missing whip. "Trust is earned, but i thought we had gotten past this." He closes his eyes as if expecting something and opens them again and sighs when nothing happens. "Take your pay, we need to decide how we live with our deaths." Darv walks over to the professor and hands he back her blade. "Thank you Professor for your trust. If you ever need my assistance."

JbeJ275
2017-06-25, 06:00 PM
Darv looks at the angry bird and the missing whip. "Trust is earned, but i thought we had gotten past this." He closes his eyes as if expecting something and opens them again and sighs when nothing happens. "Take your pay, we need to decide how we live with our deaths." Darv walks over to the professor and hands he back her blade. "Thank you Professor for your trust. If you ever need my assistance."

I don't mean to be insensitive, but given your state I somehow doubt you are the experts on when caution is called for.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-25, 06:01 PM
She nodded in response to the dead standing before her. "Keep it. As a token of our bond. You can hardly walk up to a blacksmith in this state." she adds with a gentle smile.
When the undeads' attention is not on her, she descretly casts Spare the Dying on the man with the whip. If Darv doesn't want him talking to her, she immediately wants to know what he has to say...

Mangles
2017-06-25, 06:12 PM
Darv is taken aback by the professors action, he bows his head slightly and heads downstairs, laughing at Finnegans quip. Rounding up the group and talking to them, before the split off. Some attending to the wounded, some to the tied up. Darv attends to the man that has passed in the conflict downstairs.

RickAllison
2017-06-25, 06:32 PM
What would you like to do about the survivors downstairs?

When all is said and done, and things have been decided (or the party stops to do something else beforehand), Kosj tells the party to go ahead without her, that she would catch up in a bit.

I apologize for my distrust, but it is my job to ensure that the party makes it back safely with their assignment, and you were an unknown variable. The only sign we had been given to trust you was not being stabbed in the back while we were still useful. After his death, we weren't useful and it would be the optimal time to betray us.

I, for one, have no wish to see this town fall to Guild. I think this could be a refuge, where everything the Guild wants they possess and it is not yet worth it to colonize. If you would like, I can send part of my clan out here. They are hard workers and skilled with traps and artifice. It won't replace the friends and family you may have lost in this chaos, but they could help you start a new town. You can live your death by becoming the guiding hand of the next generation. What do you say?

Mangles
2017-06-25, 08:53 PM
Darv heaves a sack to the door. "Here is what we could find of the pilfered goods."

To Kosj he replies. "I would be thankful if you would, but it would need to be kept a secret from the Guild. If they knew that our kind were here they would end us all. We could use your help too, if you wanted to join our town. You would be welcome."

Archemist
2017-06-25, 09:06 PM
Lilli rummages through the sack of stuff.

She says to Darv, "I'm glad we could help, I guess. We weren't expecting to find anyone here, really. You mean you'd like to just... live... here still?I mean, maybe you could grow the special plants over in the Alchemist's old yard for us. If more goblins or people pass through, you'd have to hide, though."

Mangles
2017-06-25, 09:15 PM
"We are tied to here. To the gallows and the ground beneath it. We will clean it up and try to live. As much as undead can anyway. His death was meant to release us from this curse, but I guess the magic is stronger than one man's death." Darv smiles at Lilli. "We can defend ourselves from goblins as well as the next village can, perhaps better in this state, and with the kobolds help I'm sure we will manage. Dunno about that garden though. None of us are green thumbs, maybe we could learn if it was beneficial."

Lilli sees some coins, a small amount of jewelry, a finely engraved scabbard and a Lute that is inlaid with copper.

RickAllison
2017-06-25, 09:22 PM
I do not think I could join just yet. I would be quite visible if an entire clan of kobold workers that form the menial workforce suddenly disappeared, and they rely on my wages for medicine and such. It would be best for your town's safety and my family's to send a few at a time. Besides, for the time being, I must report to the Guild our findings in triplicate. It may be best to make a... partial report for these events. After all, these events are not truly concerned with our mission, being independent and subsequent to obtaining the goods. It is no different than omitting a trip to the armorer upon return!

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-25, 10:51 PM
The Professor offers medical assistance to the undead as they help their fallen friends. As she helps, she tries to get a better understanding of what these undead are. As sentient dead, (who have managed to shock Lilli especially) they have captured her interest as a scientist...

Medicine check to see how helpful she is [roll0]
I believe understanding undead is a religion check but I can make a different roll if you want [roll1]

Archemist
2017-06-27, 05:26 PM
Lilli sees some coins, a small amount of jewelry, a finely engraved scabbard and a Lute that is inlaid with copper.

Lilli takes the offered sack and says, "Well, thanks! We're still looking for all the help we can get, too, just starting out on these explorations. We're hoping to save up enough money to go into business in the city, I think. What would joining your town mean? Oh, and do you need to keep the magic whip nearby?"

When things seem to have settled down in the building, Lilli will go outside into the light and examine the stuff more carefully, and the group can decide what to do with it, or who should take what. "We probably can keep this stuff for ourselves and not report it..."

JbeJ275
2017-06-27, 05:30 PM
I agree, obviously the only sane thing to do is to split it between ourselves.

RickAllison
2017-06-27, 05:42 PM
The Guild is interested in the herbs and their long-term potential, not a small cache of monetary assets. They have plenty of assets, and capital is far more important.

Mangles
2017-06-27, 06:48 PM
The Professor gleans a bit of insight into the undead. It seems the silver spikes were most likely the cause of their current state. Not allowing the soul to pass out of the bodies in the gallows pit. With A small amount of magic, a ritual and some incantations would be all that needed to cause them to stick in the bodies, turning the bodies into intelligent undead. Unlike lichdom or other transformations, this was a temporary thing. Their bodies are dead and they would eventually decay.

Darv thinks on Kosj's advice. "We will see what we can do. Perhaps we can get some money out of The Guild. Always a risky enterprise, but if there is a solution to our problem it is going to cost."

To Lilli "You can keep the whip, that was our agreement. You helped us get revenge on the man who did this to us. The greedy halfling is right. Keep the reward for yourselves. Perhaps though we could keep the silver stakes? If one of us were to require imprisonment, it would make life easier. Especially once the kobolds arrived. We could trade them for the value of the first shipment of herbs the guild pay us for, once they do."

RickAllison
2017-06-27, 07:39 PM
Kosj pulls out the silver stakes along with a copper wire bracelet she fashioned. Good luck, and let this trinket stand as a sign of the bond between us now.

Aardvark 001
2017-06-28, 05:18 AM
Rhizous bristles at the thought of making any pact with the undead, but he holds his tongue. Not least because his neck feels like it could come apart at any moment. He simply rubs his injury and resolves to have a word with his friends when they are out of this wretched place.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-28, 10:11 AM
The Professor thinks back the man with the whip. He said that Darv raised the other undead. And now Darv is asking for no loot but that which allows one to raise the undead. She studies his face, looking for some clue as to his intensions.

Insight [roll0]
Guidance [roll1]

Mangles
2017-06-29, 05:11 AM
Darv seems to not be telling the whole truth.

Darv places Kosj bracelet on. "Thanks. Don't let my troubles delay you any further. we wouldn't want your masters getting suspicious."

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-29, 09:43 AM
The Professor considers Darv for a moment then finds Lilli. She leans down to her ear "I don't fully trust our new friend here." she whispers. "I kept the man with the whip alive and want to get him out where we can question him later. Back me up if someone questions me, please." she turns away. Then comes back "Also, if you have any ideas, that would be welcomed..."

She head upstairs and beginns setting the room to rights: repositioning the furniture, throwing down an old rag to soak up a blood stain, piling the bodies. She looks around the room, searching for a way to get a mostly dead body out of the building without going past the undead who might question her actions.

Mangles
2017-06-29, 06:21 PM
There is always the window Finnegan came in.

JbeJ275
2017-06-29, 06:25 PM
Well they'll know we've nicked the body anyway so we could just grab it and run like hell, alternatively one of us makes up some bull about taking the leaders body to be eaten or somesuch.

RickAllison
2017-06-29, 10:00 PM
Well they'll know we've nicked the body anyway so we could just grab it and run like hell, alternatively one of us makes up some bull about taking the leaders body to be eaten or somesuch.

Bull? Kosj happily consumes meat where she can get it!

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-30, 07:11 AM
"Its decided then." She promptly grabs the man, lowers him out the window, and then climbs out herself. "I'll meet you fellows by that tree we passed coming in that looks like a bear." and then climbs down.

Archemist
2017-06-30, 09:08 AM
"Its decided then." She promptly grabs the man, lowers him out the window, and then climbs out herself. "I'll meet you fellows by that tree we passed coming in that looks like a bear." and then climbs down.

Lilli retrieves and then lends her net to aid in this effort.

"Let's head back to the city, then, if we're done here. We can stop for lunch on the way and sort out our story."

To Darv, she adds, "We'll be back to visit. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the place."

Mangles
2017-06-30, 11:06 PM
You've lowered the man out the window to the ground bellow without bringing suspicion. He sits in the ally between the stone building and the gallows. Darv waves you off as you leave the building.

Mangles
2017-07-02, 04:33 PM
You leave the city and reach the woods without a problem. Your new found friend is still out cold. You've gotten the herbs required to complete your guild mission. In addition you've found some elemental ash, a book detailing basic herbalism and a magic whip. You also have a sack with some coins, a small amount of jewelry, a finely engraved scabbard and a Lute that is inlaid with copper.

RickAllison
2017-07-02, 05:36 PM
Job well executed! I'll send some kobolds out as a follow up, but I think the plan went well. If things turn sour, we could always execute a scouting mission and report back what we find of Darv using our current knowledge.

JbeJ275
2017-07-04, 03:13 PM
Yep, we did that it nice and early on. Let's head back for to the city for a bit then.

Mangles
2017-07-04, 07:31 PM
About an hour and a half down the road your prisoner comes to with a start. "Buh what. Where am I? What do you want? Where's that undead scum?"

Archemist
2017-07-05, 05:15 PM
"Hey. No fast moves.

"Darv's a long ways behind us, never fear."

Mangles
2017-07-05, 11:37 PM
"Well that's a plus, and I'm still alive so plus number two." He moves to a sitting position slowly. "Warren's the name. So what's this costing me?"

RickAllison
2017-07-05, 11:46 PM
That ultimately depends on how helpful you are. If you are not useful, I get to make snacks out of you! Humanoids in good condition are a delicacy that I rarely get to indulge for obvious reasons.

Mangles
2017-07-06, 05:36 PM
Warren seems sufficiently intimidated at the idea of being eaten. "Wh-what do you want from me."

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-07-08, 06:18 AM
"I want you to explain your previous accusation that Darv was raising the dead. Is he some variety of necromancer?
He cut your throat after you died so you wouldn't talk so you must know something of value..."
The Professor says this bluntly to the point of perhaps rudely. It seems she isn't being rude intentionally, but rather that it never occurred to her to find a way to ask politely.

Mangles
2017-07-10, 02:38 AM
Warren chuckles. "Darv doesn't have a lick of magic in him. What he does have is charm. He is a smooth talker, knows what to say. Got you guys on his side quick enough didn't he. He'll have those undead schmucks making him a king now." Warren rubs his throat where it was cut. "Guess I'm not a bad speaker either, you saved my life didn't you. Let me go and I'll make it worth your while. I'll send a man and leave you what I can at the Hare and Hound. Pay you for saving me from Darv right under his nose."

On your return your manager greets your band. "Sufficient" is the only praise you get. The sample you provided shows the worth of the small town and re-establishing a foothold there. The book, whip and other treasures are completely ignored. The manager advises that there is a reshuffle of company assets and you are all to report to a new department until things stabilize. As a group you have two choices: Deployment or Logistics. For your service to this department the Guild has deigned to give all employees a 10 day off to get your affairs in order for the transition and small wooden triangle with the words "Thanks for your comitment." You've seen these misspelled paperweights in the store room get given out as retirement presents during your time working here.

Your experiences during this mission have left you stronger than when you set out. Everyone can level up.

JbeJ275
2017-07-10, 05:39 AM
Finnegan voices in less than polite language that he doesn't give a lump of pig s*** which department he goes to and they both sound mind numbing, being careful to reveal this out of earshot with those who could have a decent go at punishing him for it. He then goes into the city where he pawns off the brooch, he spends a week drinking and gossiping in his old circles before returning to try and find out where they will be when they get back.

Archemist
2017-07-10, 12:52 PM
Lilli is happy no-one outside their group seems to care about the loot. When the group is alone, she takes a piece of the jewelry and sees if the shiny scabbard will fit one of her short swords. "Do you mind if I have these? We can just divide up the coins as you like, and I don't really know how to play the lute, although it sounds nice and I like the way the little pegs can tighten the strings. Very intricate."

She isn't interested in keeping Warren as a prisoner. "You do what you like. Why'd you even mess with that undead magic in the first place?"

RickAllison
2017-07-10, 10:10 PM
Kosj is divided between the two divisions: deployment could be useful for learning where Guild influence is strong and thus where it is weak, but logistics plays more to her strengths. She will wait to decide until hearing her companions' thoughts.

Kosj learns from the material they found on the mission, and her studying proved quite useful. She has figured out how to replicate the basic healing potions using just magic and water, and she stumbled onto some interesting discoveries in that book of herbalism. She reverse-engineered the components of certain plants that prompted rapid growth in order to make herself as tall as her companions, though they would be much taller if they also partook of her creation. She also developed a recipe for giving the recipient the ability to mimic climbing lizards and amphibians. Finally, she filled her notebook with various theoretical potions; she wants to test them, but the power required to magically mimic the ingredients is beyond her cure t capabilities.

Those are the things she can currently make with her Infuse Potions feature from her archetype: Potions of Healing, Climbing, or Growth. She also has the knowledge to make better potions, but they take higher-level spell slots than that of an L2 wizard.

Kosj is ecstatic when she checks her mail to find that the magical pen she ordered finally came! This chewed up much of her personal savings, but supposedly this pen augments the power of the oft-forgotten school of Bureacratic Bewitchment. It is a little known school, and ignored by the vast majority of those who do know of it due to its onerous requirements. These versions of spells allow the user much more freedom in casting, casting without speaking any words, waving hands, or providing materials. The user can call on spells that are not prepared and even pass it on to another capable caster. The rub, naturally, is that this school of magic requires more than an hour to prepare beyond the casting time, as the user must call on her connection to the primordial magics and prepare a requisition form. Few spellcasters wish to spend such time to solve a problem that can likely be circumvented by some prepared spell.

This is Kosj's new Infuse Scrolls feature. Basically, she can use her Arcane Recovery as a wizard add and ten minutes to make a scroll instead of regaining spell slots. It acts like any spell scroll, ignoring spell components, having a set DC/attack bonus rather than the user's, and all the rest.

I hope you don't mind, Mangles, my adding this bit of fluff to the setting. I just liked the idea of a real school of magic tied to the old Ring of Bureaucratic Wizardry and it seems so appropriate to the setting. I can remove it if you don't like it.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-07-13, 05:29 AM
"If you like them, Lilli, you should keep them. I won't fight you for them."

"Last week I would have said Logistics without a second thought but I actually enjoyed our mission with you folk. I wouldn't mind Deployment if that's what the group chooses."

Mangles
2017-07-16, 09:55 PM
You all meet at the Deployment office and warehouse after your 10 days of time off. A larger building than the previous one you worked in although with a much smaller office space. Each of you is assigned a locker and given an ID tag with the words Deployment Lacky written on it.

Your new manager greets you all with a disinterested look and a sigh. Besides his clothes being in more disarray, is nearly indistinguishable from the last manager you had. His voice is a monotone drone "Welcome to Deployment. You are all highly valued employees of the Guild. Please find your latest assignment at your desk. If you need me my door is never closed." With his speech finished he goes into his office and closes the door. You hear the click of the lock being turned.

It appears as desk was the right term as a single table has been allotted for you all to share. On it is an order request form. The guild needs a wagon transported with 3 cases of #103 and two barrels of #22. In the back of the compound is a huge warehouse that contains the stores and to the side the wagons and work horses.

RickAllison
2017-07-16, 10:47 PM
Alright, gang! Let's give it our all! Where are we transporting this wagon to...

Mangles
2017-07-16, 11:11 PM
The requisition form requests you to drive north around the elven woods perimeter to a small town on the other side with the supplies. You could take an alternative route. The south route isn't much different to the north, but would take you close to one of the Human cities. Through the middle of the woods is certainly a much smaller distance.

First you will need to attend to the horse and wagon and the warehouse.

Archemist
2017-07-16, 11:34 PM
Lilli seems eager for their next assignment. "Road trip!" she exclaims.

"Are any of you good with horses? I can try; hopefully they send along a driver so we can focus on just escorting the wagon."

Aardvark 001
2017-07-17, 02:31 AM
Rhizous grins. I flatter myself I have a pretty good understanding of the creatures. I'd be more than happy to attend to them.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-07-17, 08:26 AM
"I'm glad one of is is happy to tend to the horses. Or to put it another way, the fecal matter creation machines." The Professor grumbles while adjusting her name tag - annoyed about the word Lackey.
"I believe were better off taking the northern route. The human cities can be rude to outsiders. So I've heard.
I'm going to acquire the goods from the warehouse. I want to see how they have everything organized. Does anyone want to help?"

Archemist
2017-07-17, 08:33 AM
"Sure thing. Let's just all go, eh?" Lilli hefts her little pack.

Mangles
2017-07-17, 06:29 PM
You open the doors to the warehouse and are greeted with a small antechamber. There is an inventory book that has been left open and collected a layer of dust on the pages that are visible. A winding staircase leads 4 stories down to the warehouse floor. From your vantage point you can see the whole warehouse stretching out before you. The warehouse is so large its edges literally disappears into the distance. Rows and columns of storage can be seen stacked in shelving units, tall enough to require a ladder to reach the top. Stacked with boxes, crates and other items, all labeled with a #number. They form a winding maze of pathways, although there are few dead ends. From the shelves closest to the door, you can see they are not well ordered. Breaking up the monotony of the shelves are several structures and larger items. A few are as big as a houses, however one in particular stands out. A colossal stone statue of a one eyed orc. He is posed in a fighter's stance with his legs splayed and shelving units run beneath him.

A minotaur wearing spectacles and a smart suit walks into the antechamber as you are taking it all in. "Hmm, new lackeys I see. Please sign the forms at the table before we get started."

JbeJ275
2017-07-18, 10:28 AM
Finnegan proceeds to sign, looking resentfully at the bespectacled Minotaur.Fine, what s*** are we shovelling today then?

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-07-18, 05:35 PM
The Professor gazes around in wonder at all the structure and organization around. She could spend months in here...
"Lilly, have you ever seen anything more beautiful?"
She briefly skims the paper, looking for any signs of deception before signing
Intelligence [roll0]

Archemist
2017-07-18, 05:43 PM
"I dunno, seems a bit disorganized to me," Lilli replies to The Professor, while signing the paper. "Is there a map or something, Mister?" She looks up, up, and a little more up, at the minotaur to see if he can tell them where their box might be in the many stacks.

"If if's high up we might need a ladder, too. Some of us, anyhow."

RickAllison
2017-07-18, 07:33 PM
Kosj sits down to peruse the contract; she needs to make sure that her wards are taken care of.

Altiui, why don't you help Lilli fly up there. See what you can help with.

Mangles
2017-07-18, 07:40 PM
The Professor thinks she sees a deception, but upon re-reading realises she miss read a word. The contract is just a standard waiver. This has already been covered by the guild before in your recruitment although the term "Never seen or heard from again" does come up more often in this one.

"Your requisition form should indicate what '**** you are shovelling', Lackey." The minotaur looks down upon Finigan unused to the disrespect. He turns to the ladies "Indeed there is a reference document you can look up your requests on and a map to guide you now that you have signed them out. Please bring them back. Most shelves have a ladder somewhere near by. Oh and mind area 2B. There are pests."

The papers he gives you list items in a roundabout area. Case #103 is towards the back right near a shrine. Barrel #22 more to the left within a few shelves of an oak tree growing on small patch of ground. Area 2B isn't far from where you are, but should be easy enough to navigate around.

Wisdom check to navigate around. Let me know if you are using the map or not.

Archemist
2017-07-18, 08:14 PM
Case #103 is towards the back right near a shrine. Barrel #22 more to the left within a few shelves of an oak tree growing on small patch of ground. Area 2B isn't far from where you are, but should be easy enough to navigate around.

Wisdom check to navigate around. Let me know if you are using the map or not.

"Thanks, buddy." Lilli will take the map and see what she can make of it. "Huh."

[roll0]

Mangles
2017-07-18, 09:09 PM
You feel you could get to either the barrels or the cases without to much problems, using the map.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-07-19, 05:07 AM
"I'll go with you Lilli. You seem to know what you're doing."

Aardvark 001
2017-07-19, 05:36 AM
Rhizous tries to make head of tail of the contract but in the end he just gives up and signs it.
Where do we get the cart and horses?

Mangles
2017-07-19, 06:08 PM
The horse and carts are found in a stable outside of the warehouse. A loading dock backs onto a room beside the antechamber. You have a choice of covered or uncovered wagon and horses to pull it.

Archemist
2017-07-19, 07:16 PM
"Oooh, a covered wagon, my favorite! I hear you can use them as boats, even, in a pinch. Let's take that one."

Lilli asks Rhizous to help with the horses, and see if they can bring the wagon to where the barrel is to be loaded. "Number 22, hmm, keep your eyes peeled."

Mangles
2017-07-19, 07:23 PM
You manage to wind your way towards the barrels and find them on the lowest shelf. Clearly stamped and labeled #22. A second stamp underneath shows a picture of a slime and an exclamation mark. They weigh 300 lbs each.

RickAllison
2017-07-19, 07:45 PM
Anyone strong enough to lift those up? Otherwise I can mix up a potion that should get someone to that point.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-07-21, 05:53 AM
The Professor snorted. "Brawn isn't my speciality. But I might be able to help manage. Rhizous?"

[roll0] check to assist and grant advantage to someone (mostly for the chance of comedic effect)

Mangles
2017-07-23, 07:07 PM
The Professor manages to hold up one end of a barrel, although she can't carry it herself.

JbeJ275
2017-07-25, 06:47 AM
Come on, aren't any of you big guys helping? Well let me try anyway.

[roll0]

RickAllison
2017-07-25, 08:04 AM
Sigh... Professor, please put that Barrel down for a few minutes. I'll brew up a potion that will allow you to carry twice as much, but it may only last an hour. It also may last four. The brew is still in the beta stage.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-07-25, 09:15 AM
The Professor smiles good-naturedly at the little kobold. "I have my limits. Thank you for this." She nods to her and down the drink in a gulp.
She is shocked to feel the power and energy pulsing through her body. She's never felt so strong before. It's exhilarating.
She grabs the previously heavy barrel easily and tosses it over her shoulder.

Archemist
2017-07-25, 10:09 AM
Lilli is pretty strong for her size and so she'll help out too.

[roll0]

Mangles
2017-07-25, 09:39 PM
The Professor can easily carry the barrel and between Finigan and Lillian they barely manage to haul another one off the ground. Retracing your steps back to the antechamber should be easy enough. You could always try navigating to the crates if you would prefer.

Archemist
2017-07-25, 10:53 PM
Lilli looks for a shortcut on the map, a way they could get to the crates without going too far.

Mangles
2017-07-25, 11:28 PM
Area 2B looks like the quickest way through. Going around it wouldn't take too much longer. Going back to the Antechamber and back out would take the longest.

If your not going back to the antechamber than please make another wisdom roll to navigate there.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-07-27, 09:28 AM
"Let me see if I can help you out there, Lilli" The Professor looks down at the map in the ranger's hand. She feels like she's starting to get the hang of how this area is organized. "I think I can get us to 2B"

[roll0]

Archemist
2017-07-27, 09:33 AM
"Hmm, you're right, maybe that way would be quicker. Let's give it a try. Be on the lookout - didn't that ogre earlier tell us there were monsters in here?"

Wis roll: [roll0]

RickAllison
2017-07-27, 01:16 PM
If it would help, Lilli, Altiui might be able to carry you up for a better look around.Or I can, but I'm not exactly known for my navigation skills...

Mangles
2017-07-27, 06:15 PM
Getting into area 2B doesn't seem much of a problem. The shelves here are in disorder. Several boxes have the bottom corners eaten out and there are a few with a missing lid. As you walk along you find the floor is slightly sticky and occasionally glass is smashed along the path way. You feel the presence of many eyes watching you from the shelves although you don't see anyone there. In the center of the path you are taking you see a creature you recognise as a Jermlaine riding a giant rat. It has a particularly big green wart on the side of its nose and is holding a makeshift spear. More spears can be seen inside a quiver strapped to the rats side. Next to the Jermlaine is a wooden sign made out of a box lid. Crudely drawn on it is 2 coins.

In what could be nearly gnomish the Jermlaine squeaks "Hey bigun. Pay the toll." The Jermlaine puts its hand out expectantly.

Lilli and the Proffessor notice 2 Jermlaine coming up behind them stealthily. Each hugging a shelf that runs either side of the group.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-07-27, 06:27 PM
"How much is this toll?"

Mangles
2017-07-27, 06:44 PM
"It's 2" the Jermlaine points to the sign with his spear impatiently. "Pay up now."

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-07-28, 05:31 AM
The professor hands over two of her coins with a look of suspicion

Mangles
2017-07-28, 05:45 AM
The Jermlaine snickers as he takes the money but lets the Professor pass. He quickly jumps in front of the rest of the party though. "Pay the toll"

RickAllison
2017-07-28, 07:31 AM
Kosj pulls out two coppers and puts them in the highwayman's hand. This was why she preferred to travel with Altiui...

Mangles
2017-07-28, 07:36 AM
"Pay toll" The Jermlaine points at the bird with his spear. Behind you the two others are getting closer.

JbeJ275
2017-07-28, 07:54 AM
When the professor passes through Finnegan uses the size difference to attempt to sneak using him as cover.

[roll0]
I'm using the naturally stealthy halfling racial trait.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-07-28, 08:01 AM
The Professor scans the insistent toll collectors. She's seen scams in this manner before and sometimes they collect the money and then attack anyway. She attempts to assess if this is one of those cases.
Insight [roll0] guidance [roll1]

Archemist
2017-07-28, 10:27 AM
Lilli turns around to call over to the two approaching from behind. "Geez you guys, why are you even bothering to try to be sneaky? You're SO loud."

Turning forwards again, she adds, "And why should we pay a toll? We're working for the guild same as you, right?"

Mangles
2017-07-28, 05:44 PM
Finnegan manages to sneak past undetected using the professor as cover.

The Jermlaine are clearly up to no good, but you don't know there scheme.

At the mention of these guild a boo and hiss is heard from all around. Coming from boxes and shadows. Two smaller Jermlaine rush out and grab the coins already handed over. The rat sized man now growls his demand, no longer asking. "pay toll"

Archemist
2017-07-28, 05:51 PM
Finnegan manages to sneak past undetected using the professor as cover.

The Jermlaine are clearly up to no good, but you don't know there scheme.

At the mention of these guild a boo and hiss is heard from all around. Coming from boxes and shadows. Two smaller Jermlaine rush out and grab the coins already handed over. The rat sized man now growls his demand, no longer asking. "pay toll"

"Fine, sheesh, what is your problem?" Lilli fishes around for two coins and gives them to him.

RickAllison
2017-07-28, 06:50 PM
In the sleeves of her robe, Kosj twirls her finger lazily and Altiui disappears. Apparently the bird does not have any money and is trying to get away. You might try to chase him, especially since we have all paid what we owe you and he is the one trying to cheat you. If you can't get any money out of that bird, hawk is pretty tasty, and you might enjoy him as a snack.

Dismissing the familiar does not have any somatic components that would have to be hidden, it is just a thought (and an action). The finger twirling is purely flavor and wouldn't be visible.

Mangles
2017-07-30, 08:51 PM
The Jermlaine glares at Kosj but allows him to pass. He gives a signal and a scurrying is heard behind the boxes and in the shadows. Less eyes seem to be on you. The party having paid is no longer blocked by the creatures and can continue through 2B if they wish.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-07-31, 05:10 AM
"Well that was highly unusual... Let's go before they do anything weirder"