PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying How do you pronounce "Mul?"

bunnynoah
2017-05-27, 11:45 PM
It's maddening at this point. Which is it?

Mull?

Or Mule?

KillianHawkeye
2017-05-27, 11:59 PM
Here is a quote from the 4th Edition Dark Sun Campaign Setting:

The word "mul" is derived from the Dwarven term mul-zhennedar, which means "strength." Pronunciation varies throughout the Tyr region; the word can be pronounced as mool, mull, or mule, although this last variation is considered derogatory and might start a fight. Given the derivation of the name, sages who care about such matters regard mull as the most accurate pronunciation.

I have no idea how you came up with "mole", but a character could probably get away with saying it that way, too.

bunnynoah
2017-05-28, 12:05 AM
Isn't "mole" and "mull" pronounced exactly the same though?

Anyways, thank you so much! I'm glad the common way of saying it was the one I've been using. :smallbiggrin:

Telonius
2017-05-28, 12:08 AM
Isn't "mole" and "mull" pronounced exactly the same though?

Depends on your dialect, I guess. I read "mole" as rhyming with "pole," but "mull" as rhyming with "dull."

bunnynoah
2017-05-28, 12:21 AM
I read "ole" "ull" "oll" sounds as the same. It works, and that's what matters.

Dimers
2017-05-28, 12:39 AM
Well, that's certainly something to mull over. :smallwink:

Asking neither sarcastically nor nastily -- do you pronouce "Oh" and "Uh" the same too? That's the same difference of vowel sounds, but those two interjections get used in very different situations.

bunnynoah
2017-05-28, 12:52 AM
In a neither sarcastically nor nastily way, no I do not.

sktarq
2017-05-28, 01:45 AM
Mul - Like Mull - Rhymes with gull (like the bird)

Kyberwulf
2017-05-28, 02:10 AM
If you read them all the same. Then it really doesn't matter how you say them

Mastikator
2017-05-28, 03:19 AM
I would pronounce it as "mul". It rhymes with "yule", as in "yule log".

Xuc Xac
2017-05-28, 03:55 AM
Here is a quote from the 4th Edition Dark Sun Campaign Setting:

Translation:
The word "mul" is derived from the word "mule", because they're hybrids. Pronunciation varied throughout the group of playtesters because some players didn't catch the reference or deliberately tried to obscure it; the word can be pronounced as mool, mull, or mule, although this last variation is considered a bit too on the nose and should be avoided. Given the obviously uncreative derivation of the name, the authors wish you'd go with "mull" to match the spelling and deflect a bit from the "mule" thing.

Knaight
2017-05-28, 05:05 AM
I'd be inclined to go with a "mool" pronunciation, but as long as the local group is all on the same page you're good.

EDIT: Mool as in "pool" not "wool".

Necroticplague
2017-05-28, 09:14 AM
I always assumed it was pronounced "mule", since they are similar in nature to them, I assume it was an intentional reference (hybrids known for hybrid vigor). But, on it's own, it looks like it should be pronounced 'mull' (rhymes with 'null').

Kane0
2017-05-28, 05:49 PM
For some reason I can't explain i've always pronounced it 'mool', as in wool with an M.

Probably just to annoy my english teacher mate.

lunaticfringe
2017-05-28, 11:02 PM
Always mull as in dull.

Asha Leu
2017-05-28, 11:52 PM
I've always pronounced it as rhyming with "pull", but I haven't the faintest idea if that's correct or not.

But with pronouncing anything in D&D, I've always held that the correct pronunciation is whatever the DM says it is. And when you are the DM, the important thing is to just pick a pronunciation, remember it and stick with it. It gets on my nerves when you're playing a game, usually a published adventure, where the DM stumbles through each tongue-twister name as if they're reading it for the first time.

Inevitability
2017-05-29, 01:01 AM
I think of it as 'muhl'.

Arkhios
2017-05-29, 03:07 AM
I believe it's supposed to be pronounced like pull.

Talakeal
2017-05-29, 04:28 AM
One of my friends pronounced it mole.

He was telling me about his character and before I could figure out what he was talking about I started to imagine him as playing Hans Moleman from The Simpsons and that image remained cemented in my mind formthe rest of the campaign.

I always said it like Mull for the record.

Bohandas
2017-05-29, 10:45 AM
Depends on your dialect, I guess. I read "mole" as rhyming with "pole," but "mull" as rhyming with "dull."

Where are you from? To me they all rhyme

bunnynoah
2017-05-29, 11:07 AM
Finally, someone who understands!

Cealocanth
2017-05-29, 01:19 PM
For some reason I can't explain i've always pronounced it 'mool', as in wool with an M.

Probably just to annoy my english teacher mate.

That's odd. Wool rhymes with pull in my dialect. Kind of curious if it does the same in yours.

But yeah, I pronounce it like either of the above words.

bunnynoah
2017-05-29, 01:33 PM
That's odd. Wool rhymes with pull in my dialect. Kind of curious if it does the same in yours.

But yeah, I pronounce it like either of the above words.

It does, and I do as well.

Anonymouswizard
2017-05-29, 02:37 PM
Oh god, this is worse than all the discussions on if drow rhymes with 'bow' or 'bow'.

I tend to pronounce it 'mule' because I see no reason to obscure the obvious influence.

On the other hand I see legitimate reasons to pronounce it 'mull', it's what I'd do if I didn't get the reference, and would even except 'mool' (rhyming with 'pool' and not 'wool' because those are slightly different). Mole makes no sense to me, I don't know any words where a u makes a short o sound (although do know some where it makes something like a long o).

For the record, 'mule', 'mull', and 'mool' all sound different to me and none rhyme. I speak British English (actually in some ways I speak pseudo-RP), so people speaking less refined dialects may disagree with me on the pronunciation and whether this statement is sarcasm.

But with pronouncing anything in D&D, I've always held that the correct pronunciation is whatever the DM says it is. And when you are the DM, the important thing is to just pick a pronunciation, remember it and stick with it. It gets on my nerves when you're playing a game, usually a published adventure, where the DM stumbles through each tongue-twister name as if they're reading it for the first time.

This is a big thing. I own Keltia and I'm not a Welsh (or even Irish Gaelic) speaker, so if I run it during the game I'm going to be mispronouncing a lot of names because I don't want to waste brain power getting every word pronounced correctly when I could be running the game. But if a player wanted to go to the trouble they can be my guest as long as it doesn't get confusing.

bunnynoah
2017-05-29, 02:50 PM
But which is it? Dro or Drau? :smallbiggrin:

(Sorry, I never ment this discussion to get this out of hand. I was serious in the beginning)

Xuc Xac
2017-05-29, 04:57 PM
But which is it? Dro or Drau? :smallbiggrin:

It's more like "drew". It's the Scots version of "troll" (back when "dwarf", "elf", and "troll" were all just generic fairy tale creatures instead of specific fantasy races).

http://www.dsl.ac.uk/entry/snd/drow_n3

Necroticplague
2017-05-29, 05:03 PM
I always pronounced "drow" as rhyming with "now".

Anonymouswizard
2017-05-29, 05:03 PM
(back when "dwarf", "elf", and "troll" were all just generic fairy tale creatures instead of specific fantasy races)

You forgot 'goblin' and 'fairy'.

(heck, I have an Urban Fantasy setting where 'goblin' means 'any magical being of low power' and 'elf' means 'any magical being of high power'. Some creatures are really annoyed because human wizards are goblins, but due to drawing power from technology they shoot up to powerful elves in cities. I wanted to justify wizards living in cities, and decided technology=magic would be fun and subvert expectations)

bunnynoah
2017-05-29, 05:05 PM
Oh, ok. I also said it like ow as in "row your boat", but I thought I remember reading it sounding like ou as in "ouch" or "drown" without the "n"

Asha Leu
2017-05-29, 06:53 PM
I pronounce Drow like "Cow", Duergar as "Droo-gar"*, and Svirfneblin as "Deep Gnome".

* Yeah, I realise that pronunciation doesn't really jive with how its actually spelt , but it just sounds so much better than "Dweer-gar" or "Dyoo-gar" or "Derr-gar" or whatever. I've been tempted for a while to just change the spelling itself in my games to "Druegar."

Solaris
2017-05-29, 07:16 PM
I pronounce mul as "Mul."
What?

I pronounce Drow like "Cow", Duergar as "Droo-gar"*, and Svirfneblin as "Deep Gnome".

* Yeah, I realise that pronunciation doesn't really jive with how its actually spelt , but it just sounds so much better than "Dweer-gar" or "Dyoo-gar" or "Derr-gar" or whatever. I've been tempted for a while to just change the spelling itself in my games to "Druegar."

I've been known to pronounce the 'V' in duergar. No idea where it came from. Might be from wanting it to be Germanic. Dwarves should be Germanic, dammit.

Deophaun
2017-05-29, 07:45 PM
Strange, I pronounce "mul" as "trash." Maybe that's why I get those stares.

"Drow" is pronounced "sheath," because that's what you put swords in.

bunnynoah
2017-05-29, 07:50 PM
Strange, I pronounce "mul" as "trash." Maybe that's why I get those stares.

"Drow" is pronounced "sheath," because that's what you put swords in.

Oh, so you're bringing race into a racist subject? How could you... :smallannoyed:

Deophaun
2017-05-29, 07:52 PM
Oh, so you're bringing race into a racist subject? How could you... :smallannoyed:
Pfft. I don't see what the big deal is. It's not like they're people or have feelings.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to clean out the gnome traps.

bunnynoah
2017-05-29, 07:54 PM
Pfft. I don't see what the big deal is. It's not like they're people or have feelings.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to clean out the gnome traps.

I'll go back to smoking pipe with my Mul and ogrillion buddies.

Lord Torath
2017-05-30, 09:34 AM
Oh god, this is worse than all the discussions on if drow rhymes with 'bow' or 'bow'.Hah. Sorry, that was me (Drow obviously rhymes with bow). For the record, I rhyme Drow with "snow", but Baldur's Gate II rhymes it with "cow".

I pronounce "mul" to rhyme with "cool" and "pool" (and "yule" and "you'll").

Incidentally, do "pole" and "pull" sound the same in your (generic "you" in this case, not Annonymouswizard in particular) pronunciation? I pronounce them slightly differently when I say them.

LibraryOgre
2017-05-30, 12:54 PM
Mule is my usual.

Xuc Xac
2017-05-30, 02:33 PM
Incidentally, do "pole" and "pull" sound the same in your (generic "you" in this case, not Annonymouswizard in particular) pronunciation? I pronounce them slightly differently when I say them.

Those words have completely different vowels.

Deophaun
2017-05-30, 03:01 PM
I find this matter droll
And people spewing bull
Who think to pronounce "pole"
Something akin to "pull"
Though it was a brilliant troll
And covered my eyes with wool
I’m through playing this role
My stomach for absurdity is full

lunaticfringe
2017-05-30, 03:06 PM
I find this matter droll
And people spewing bull
Who think to pronounce "pole"
Something akin to "pull"
Though it was a brilliant troll
And covered my eyes with wool
I’m through playing this role
My stomach for absurdity is full

Bard! Quick, kill it before it impregnates the Barmaids and we are overrun by rhyming bastards!

Deophaun
2017-05-30, 03:18 PM
Bard! Quick, kill it before it impregnates the Barmaids and we are overrun by rhyming bastards!
"There's 37 more of me, a$$#@*!" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ohk5Swy-04&t=0m48s)

bunnynoah
2017-05-30, 03:31 PM
I say Mul the same as Troll as well.

Telonius
2017-06-01, 09:13 AM

Erie, PA, originally, now in the Washington DC area. The Great Lakes Vowel Shift hadn't really spread by the time I left. I think there was a local pride issue, since we did have the whole Pittsburgh weirdness to the south of us. (One of my friends likened it to Han and Chewie; "We can understand what they're saying, but we can't speak it.")

Beleriphon
2017-06-01, 02:26 PM
I think of it as 'muhl'.

Ah, the aspirated vowel. I like 'mhul' personally, so the m is aspirated.