PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Druid fix?

berry75
2017-05-28, 02:28 AM
Hello all,

First time post in this forum.

I'm currently DM'ing an adventure (Phandalin) and want to advance to Storm kings Thunder. We have a party of 4 players; 3 new, unexperienced players and one experienced player. They all are level 4.

The most experienced player had a Paladin, but his character couldn't deal with the fact that, while they were in combat, they didn't listen to each other. So his character is about to leave the party and the next session the player will come up with a new character.

He was thinking about a Moon Druid, mainly for tanking purposes (we currently play with a wizard, ranger (bow) and a cleric). His objection is that druid will be under-powered in the long run. He asked me if I would allow the wild-shape ability to advance into Druid lvl/2 CR creatures in stead of Druid lvl/3.

What are your thoughts about this? Is druid below par in the long run? I believe he will be too powerful, being a full caster and having a upgraded wild-shape feature.

Thanks.

imanidiot
2017-05-28, 02:48 AM
Hello all,

I'm currently DM'ing an adventure (Phandalin) and want to advance to Storm kings Thunder. We have a party of 4 players; 3 new, unexperienced players and one experienced player. They all are level 4.

The most experienced player had a Paladin, but his character couldn't deal with the fact that, while they were in combat, they didn't listen to each other. So his character is about to leave the party and the next session the player will come up with a new character.

He was thinking about a Moon Druid, mainly for tanking purposes (we currently play with a wizard, ranger (bow) and a cleric). His objection is that druid will be under-powered in the long run. He asked me if I would allow the wild-shape ability to advance into Druid lvl/2 CR creatures in stead of Druid lvl/3.

What are your thoughts about this? Is druid below par in the long run? I believe he will be too powerful, being a full caster and having a upgraded wild-shape feature.

Thanks.

Druid is one of the most powerful non multiclass characters. Wild Shape at druid level /3 is borderline overpowered as is.

Your experienced player was annoyed that the other PCs wouldn't listen to HIM. Blaming it on his character is super weak. He's going to have to give the newer players some leeway or he's going to ruin the game and possibly put them off of playing in the future. He is the problem.

hymer
2017-05-28, 03:12 AM
Is druid below par in the long run?

By no means.

I believe he will be too powerful, being a full caster and having a upgraded wild-shape feature.

Your belief is my belief.

WickerNipple
2017-05-28, 08:40 AM
So let me get this straight - he's quit his character cause he couldn't impose his will on the new players, and is now trying to impose his will on you?

Hah. Don't do it. Moon druids are one of the last classes that need a buff.

Findulidas
2017-05-28, 08:51 AM
He asked me if I would allow the wild-shape ability to advance into Druid lvl/2 CR creatures in stead of Druid lvl/3.

Thanks.

No, the Druid lvl/3 is something they gave a lot of thought I imagine. Considering the massive headache shapeshifters can be that is. Besides most people (including me) seem to think its pretty strong.

Besides if he wants to tank then he shouldve stayed paladin. Druid is a full caster with shapeshifting to the side.

JNAProductions
2017-05-28, 09:15 AM
Yeah, Wild Shape is hella strong when it's first gotten (especially for Moon Druids), and while it DOES grow weaker, a Druid is a flip-flapping FULL CASTER. That's all the power you need.

Tetrasodium
2017-05-28, 10:19 AM
Moon druid is a great class if you are intending to play to its strengths (as you seem to be). While there are things I' change about wildshape given the chance (mostly related to individual forms & mistyped beasts in the monstrosity box), druid level/2 advancement would be stupidly overpowered. You will find a lot of great information in the guide in my sig to help you, but I super super strongly suggest going Kobold to really open up your options as a moon druid.

There are levels when wildshape is a bit grey in the muzzle (usually just before getting a new tier), but it's not the end of the world if you cast spells sometimes

berry75
2017-05-28, 01:54 PM
So let me get this straight - he's quit his character cause he couldn't impose his will on the new players, and is now trying to impose his will on you?

Hah. Don't do it. Moon druids are one of the last classes that need a buff.

No, he played the personality in his character and the party had a lot of discussions about combat (as a character). So I totally agree his decision to leave the party. Now the player is looking for an other class of which druid was an option. To his opinion, the druid as a melee tank was underpowered. I agree with most of you that I will not agree to his request and let the class be. If he wants to do the tanking he can choose the druid as it is or some other class.

Tetrasodium
2017-05-28, 03:45 PM
No, he played the personality in his character and the party had a lot of discussions about combat (as a character). So I totally agree his decision to leave the party. Now the player is looking for an other class of which druid was an option. To his opinion, the druid as a melee tank was underpowered. I agree with most of you that I will not agree to his request and let the class be. If he wants to do the tanking he can choose the druid as it is or some other class.

what does he think is "underpowered" bout it?

MrStabby
2017-05-28, 04:34 PM
To his opinion, the druid as a melee tank was underpowered.

This is true, but only in the same way that a barbarian as a caster is underpowered or a paladin as a skillmonkey. Expecting a caster the be a caster AND any kind of tank that isn't "underpowered" is probably having unrealistic expectations.

Moon druid is powerful as a class. In the mid levels moon druid is a pretty mediocre tank - if he wants to be a tank though he can play something else. Even the ever popular barbarian dip for raging-bears would make him a powerful enough tank for most purposes.

Failing that a level 1 dip into warlock for armour of agathys might help meet his expectations?

Tetrasodium
2017-05-28, 04:45 PM
This is true, but only in the same way that a barbarian as a caster is underpowered or a paladin as a skillmonkey. Expecting a caster the be a caster AND any kind of tank that isn't "underpowered" is probably having unrealistic expectations.

Moon druid is powerful as a class. In the mid levels moon druid is a pretty mediocre tank - if he wants to be a tank though he can play something else. Even the ever popular barbarian dip for raging-bears would make him a powerful enough tank for most purposes.

Failing that a level 1 dip into warlock for armour of agathys might help meet his expectations?

a dip into life cleric will give heavy armor & what is effectively a bunch of free prep slots given the overlap between L1 druid/life cleric spells. with moon druids being able to burn spell slots to heal themselves, armor of agythis is only soso of value too & uncastable in beast form prior to druid18

Citan
2017-05-28, 06:42 PM
Hello all,

Thanks.
Hi!

Druid is one of the most powerful non multiclass characters. Wild Shape at druid level /3 is borderline overpowered as is.

Your experienced player was annoyed that the other PCs wouldn't listen to HIM. Blaming it on his character is super weak. He's going to have to give the newer players some leeway or he's going to ruin the game and possibly put them off of playing in the future. He is the problem.
I share this feeling.
Honestly though, Wild Shape progression as a Moon Druid does have some "flats" indeed. But he is still a frigging full caster with many great concentration spells. And once he reaches level 10 the boost in WS efficiency will more than compensate the wait.

So, my advice: keep it by RAW for now. You can always change your mind later if really your player is "behaving well" but your self witness he is starting to lag behind (honestly unless he put aside spellcasting totally -in which case he'd better go Warlock and spam Polymorph imo- it should not happen).

berry75
2017-05-29, 01:02 AM
Hi!

So, my advice: keep it by RAW for now. You can always change your mind later if really your player is "behaving well" but your self witness he is starting to lag behind (honestly unless he put aside spellcasting totally -in which case he'd better go Warlock and spam Polymorph imo- it should not happen).

I'll do just that. Thank you all for your replies. 👍