PDA

View Full Version : Speculation Oriental Adventures 5e - What race options are there?

Shadow_in_the_Mist
2017-05-28, 04:06 AM
Dungeons & Dragons has done an Oriental Adventures sourcebook in 1st edition and 3rd edition, and if that pattern holds true, we're due for one in 5th edition.

Here's the thing though... the Oriental Adventures races? They tend to suck.

Traditionally, we've only gotten the three: Korobokuru (Japanese Dwarves, which are basically Jap-Peasant Halflings in flavor), Spirit Folk (Japanese Elves), and Hengeyokai (a clumsy shoehorning of various animal shapeshifters into a single race). 3e at least gave us Rokugan's Nezumi and generic Vanara to go with it.

But, fans tend to come up with more interesting ideas, so I want to pose this question (challenge?) to everyone interested: What are some actual interesting "Oriental" races for a High Fantasy Oriental Adventures setting?

Don't forget, Oriental Adventures can also cover Chinese and Korean, and maybe even Indian inspiration as well as Japanese, so be creative.

Personally, I can easily see:
Kitsune: These are, like, *the* most iconic oriental fantasy race of them all, and if Pathfinder can do it, surely D&D can do it.

Tanuki: These guys actually have a mythological rivalry with kitsunes sort of similar to the famous elf/dwarf rivalry, so there's definitely that element for bringing them over. Plus, in Japan, these guys are about as famous as kitsunes, and we have had "Raccoon Dog Hengeyokai" in 1st, 3rd and 4th edition...

Kappa: When paired up with kitsune and tanuki, these are, like, the holy trinity of yokai in Japan - everybody knows and loves kappa. They're a strength-focused small race that lives along rivers, streams and lakes; that's actually pretty unique. These guys could work as a sort of aquatic dwarf with goblin mischievousness.

Oni: Yeah, they're most famous for being bad guys, but these are literally the orcs of Japan - and like orcs, there are actually lots of stories where they're either redeemed or not even that bad to begin with. You telling me you couldn't get an RPG hook out of "you were sent up from Hell to catch a monster/evil spirit that escaped, and you need to buddy up with these mortals so you've actually got the strength to drag its sorry ass back to Hell"?

Jorogumo: Yeah, I know, these gals are always portryed as bad guys in the stories, but D&D has a long tradition of offering bad guy races - orcs, goblinoids, gnolls, ogres... hell, we got freaking Yuan-ti purebloods in Volo's Guide, and they're supposed to be emotionless world-conquering cannibalistic sociopaths. Surely D&D can reskin Jorogumo into a femme fatale "edgy" PC race, alongside the tiefling and shadar-kai?

Vanara: Yeah, I know Pathfinder has them, but D&D actually did them first (Oriental Adventures 3e), and they are one of the most recognizable heroic fantasy races in Indian mythology.

zeek0
2017-05-28, 06:12 AM
Hey again! In response to another thread, I made up a Kitsune race. If you're interested, I just posted it in the homebrewing forum, here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?525723-Kitsune-Race-(Please-offer-advice!)&p=22038689#post22038689).

As for myself, I'd like to see an Oni race. They're similar-ish to orcs, but I suspect that if I took a moment to look into the folklore they have some psuedo-magic stuff going on as well. And redemption is always a strong character trait.

ZorroGames
2017-05-28, 08:31 AM
I would love to see some more East Indian stuff.

Shadow_in_the_Mist
2017-05-28, 04:22 PM
I would love to see some more East Indian stuff.

That's an interesting idea... but, what East Indian stuff could there be in a hypothetical 5e Oriental Adventures? Only Indian mythological races I could name at a heartbeat are Nagas, Rakshasa, Garuda and Asuras, and I think Garuda is actually supposed to be just one deity?

ZorroGames
2017-05-28, 09:20 PM
I am still wading through this

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindu_mythology

Just found this

http://www.speakingtree.in/allslides/25-lesser-known-mythical-creatures-from-hindu-mythology

ZorroGames
2017-05-28, 09:23 PM
That's an interesting idea... but, what East Indian stuff could there be in a hypothetical 5e Oriental Adventures? Only Indian mythological races I could name at a heartbeat are Nagas, Rakshasa, Garuda and Asuras, and I think Garuda is actually supposed to be just one deity?

Not all that deep into East Indian mythologies - my adopted daughters from India found it too hard to keep all the characters straight. The older settled for LOTR and the younger for anime.

Now wondering if there might be something of value from Southeast Asia...

Posted a link about India mythology above that might help.

the_brazenburn
2017-05-31, 12:40 PM
The kenku race from Volo's works well for Kara-Tur or other wuxia campaigns.