PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Is my Warlock player ok?

ProsecutorGodot
2017-05-28, 06:37 AM
Myself and the other players in the group are a bit concerned with his character going into the future.

He is a High Elf Warlock with 10/12/14/14/12/14 scores. Scores were handled with point buy. He took Archfey and Pact of the Tome with a Noble background.

The group is only level 3 at the moment but we're worried that he's going to fall behind the other party members. Should we be concerned about these kinds of scores? We're all a bit new to D&D so I all I'm really basing this off is the fact that everyone else on the team already has two scores at 16 or above and he probably won't be able to manage that without a magic item or his 8th level ASI.

If this is something that could affect the group in the long run, how can I fix it knowing that he's already decided not to change his own scores after I've offered more than once.

hymer
2017-05-28, 06:43 AM
You may want to tell us about what sort of warlock (pact and patron in particular; race and background/skills might be nice, too) we're talking about.
That aside, it should be fine. Con is a tad low (though not cripplingly so), but cha 14 is perfectly workable. With that int, maybe s/he's considering multiclassing as a wizard?
What's more important is where the PC goes from here.

ProsecutorGodot
2017-05-28, 06:56 AM
You may want to tell us about what sort of warlock (pact and patron in particular; race and background/skills might be nice, too) we're talking about.
That aside, it should be fine. Con is a tad low (though not cripplingly so), but cha 14 is perfectly workable. With that int, maybe s/he's considering multiclassing as a wizard?
What's more important is where the PC goes from here.

Archfey and Pact of the Tome, Noble Background. Since we're going to be playing today I was going to ask him what he plans to have his character do in/out of combat. With the combats so far though, it's been a bit close for him having 12 ac and being within melee range.

Speaking of, I actually mixed up the Con and Dex in the OP.

hymer
2017-05-28, 07:05 AM
Archfey and Pact of the Tome, Noble Background. Since we're going to be playing today I was going to ask him what he plans to have his character do in/out of combat. With the combats so far though, it's been a bit close for him having 12 ac and being within melee range.

Speaking of, I actually mixed up the Con and Dex in the OP.

Okay. Well, seems to be more of a problem with tactics than character building. Tomelocks don't really belong in the frontline if it can be avoided.

JAL_1138
2017-05-28, 07:54 AM
I would suggest bumping Dex, if they've got a 12. Or take the Moderately Armored feat after they bump Cha to 16 and pick up some half-plate. Waiting that long to do it will be painful for the low AC, but keeping a 14 Cha 'till level 8 will be painful too. Tough call. But I'd still recommend the feat, one way or another; 16 AC (15 from half plate, +1 from 12 Dex) is decent-ish for a ranged caster. Been working out ok for my bard, anyhow. Fits the nobility fluff to have a set of fancy armor, too.

Rest of their ASIs should go into Cha, and they should stay out of melee range if at all possible. Some of that may not be the warlock's fault, if the meat-shields aren't running interference for the squishies.

Starting with 14 Cha is workable. I wouldn't park it at 14 for long, but it's absolutely fine to start with it. They might seem a little bit weak (not even that bad, just a little) next to a fully-optimized character, but they'll be far from useless with it. EDIT: Darkness+Devil's Sight will be their friend. It'll help make up for the AC and for the lower accuracy with Eldritch Blast.

Sir cryosin
2017-05-28, 07:55 AM
As long as he has a 16 in Cha by level 4 and a 18 at level 8 he is find. 5e bound accuracy is a little bit forgiving in situations like that.

D-naras
2017-05-28, 07:55 AM
He should pick up the mage armor invocation to get a respectable AC and spend his first ability score increase on +2 CHA. That will make him competent overall. A +3 charisma modifier is perfectly good at least until level 10 and his constitution is maxed out so he should be good. If he relies on Eldritch blast then he should think about picking agonising blast at some point to deal great damage at will. All in all, you shouldn't worry. The character seems decently built.

LtPowers
2017-05-28, 08:18 AM
everyone else on the team already has two scores at 16 or above

At level 3 that's unusual. Characters have to be very carefully built to achieve that. It means you need a race with at least +1 in the class's primary stat and +2 in its secondary. Or spend the points to get two attributes to 15 (before racial mods), which leaves the other attributes really low.

Powers &8^]

JAL_1138
2017-05-28, 08:40 AM
He should pick up the mage armor invocation to get a respectable AC and spend his first ability score increase on +2 CHA. That will make him competent overall. A +3 charisma modifier is perfectly good at least until level 10 and his constitution is maxed out so he should be good. If he relies on Eldritch blast then he should think about picking agonising blast at some point to deal great damage at will. All in all, you shouldn't worry. The character seems decently built.

I always forget Mage Armor; I tend to play Bards and Clerics, who don't get it by default. Scratch that about the Moderately Armored feat in my earlier post, then. Cha to 16 at 4th level, steer clear of melee, and it's fine.

Contrast
2017-05-28, 08:49 AM
I always forget Mage Armor; I tend to play Bards and Clerics, who don't get it by default. Scratch that about the Moderately Armored feat in my earlier post, then. Cha to 16 at 4th level, steer clear of melee, and it's fine.

It isn't on the warlock list either but one of their invocations lets them cast it at will. I'm inclined to say there are better invocations personally but I guess that depends on your party make up and how often you're getting targetted. The feat has the added bonus that you can pick up a shield.

Edit - Having said that I guess you can swap invocations out when you level up so you can always take it for the first few levels to help survivability and then swap it out it things improve.

ProsecutorGodot
2017-05-28, 09:14 AM
I was able to convince him to take Armor of Shadows as his second invocation since he wasn't using repelling blast.

I'm sure this should be enough to keep him alive now that he can bump his AC up, thanks for the help everyone.

Sir cryosin
2017-05-28, 10:31 AM
I was able to convince him to take Armor of Shadows as his second invocation since he wasn't using repelling blast.

I'm sure this should be enough to keep him alive now that he can bump his AC up, thanks for the help everyone.

Armor of shadows is alright but it only offer's 1 more to AC over studded leather. Which he can wear. A +1 to AC can make or brake some character's but not a tomelock. The best thing is to take agazing blast and Eldritch spear and just sit back the blast. One thing a warlock does well is snipeing

zeek0
2017-05-28, 01:09 PM
I think you'll find 5e fairly forgiving. Boost CHA for the next few ASIs, and they should be quite fine.

Hrugner
2017-05-28, 01:45 PM
They're probably fine. They can lean on sleep for awhile and bump up charisma with their ASIs until they've capped it. The increased range warlock thing is probably a better defense then a minor AC bump. If they're hanging out in melee range deliberately, then they're beyond help. It's best to let them die and make a new character till they make one that can do what they're doing.

Citan
2017-05-28, 06:37 PM
Myself and the other players in the group are a bit concerned with his character going into the future.

He is a High Elf Warlock with 10/12/14/14/12/14 scores. Scores were handled with point buy. He took Archfey and Pact of the Tome with a Noble background.

The group is only level 3 at the moment but we're worried that he's going to fall behind the other party members. Should we be concerned about these kinds of scores? We're all a bit new to D&D so I all I'm really basing this off is the fact that everyone else on the team already has two scores at 16 or above and he probably won't be able to manage that without a magic item or his 8th level ASI.

If this is something that could affect the group in the long run, how can I fix it knowing that he's already decided not to change his own scores after I've offered more than once.

Hi!

Well, he should be fine as long as he starts being more careful and staying more in the back.
Beyond that, he can go several ways.

1) Bump DEX as a priority to get good AC with Mage Armor Invocation, then use weapon cantrips together with Mobile feat to get in and out of melee.
2) Multiclass into a Bladesinger Wizard (if elf) to get some nice and good spells, a decent AC upgrade and a bunch of rituals to make himself more useful outside of fighting.
3) Multiclass into Fighter or Paladin to get medium armor and shield proficiency (Paladin has more synergy overall).
4) Just pick some defensive feats such as Moderately Armored, Defensive Duelist.
5) Bump CHA as a priority and just hang back, blasting people away with Agonizing Repelling Blast.