PDA

View Full Version : The Darkest Magic: Playing Lo Pan

Waterdeep Merch
2017-05-28, 10:18 AM
I'm playing in a few pseudo-connected one shots soon where all of us players have sort of decided to play as pop culture wuxia characters. We've got: Jackie Chan's Big Soldier from Little Big Soldier (college of valor bard), the Bones of Creation from Thunderbolt Fantasy (hexblade warlock), DZA (monk), and Ghostface Killah (fighter).

I've decided to play Lo Pan from Big Trouble in Little China.

We're starting at level 5, so I've got some wiggle room. I'm more concerned with nailing Lo Pan's abilities/references than with being powerful. To that end, I've decided on the Wu Jen Mystic, and a backstory-altered vampire from the Zendikar supplement.

So far, I'm picking the sage background, the Mastery of Air, Force, Light and Darkness (I'm going to avoid certain powers/recommend nerfs to my DM here, it's cheesy), and Storm, and I've got a floating discipline I don't really know what to do with. For skills, I'm planning on grabbing Arcana, History, and Medicine, but have no clue what else to take to match things up well.

The vampire choice is to reference the Curse of Flesh and supplication to the gods. It's definitely a pretty substandard choice, but I'm okay with substandard that matches the theme.

We rolled for stats, and I ended up with 16, 15, 15, 14, 12, 9. There's also a freebie feat at level one floating around. I'm tempted to take that feat in the arcana skill feat from UA so that, after the level 4 attribute bump, I can start at 20 intelligence. The rest of the stats are kind of up in the air. 15's in dexterity and constitution, I guess? The 14 in charisma to take advantage of it? 12 in wisdom? Strength is mostly worthless outside of the life drain, which is more of a story element I'll use against restrained targets, so that's probably the 9.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas for the shadow emperor?