PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Sun/moon monsters

hangedman1984
2017-05-28, 04:25 PM
Planning out a dungeon for the game I'm running. Anyone know of any sun and/or moon related monsters, preferably around cr7?

remetagross
2017-05-28, 04:34 PM
A Monk 17 has an ability called "Tongue of the Sun and Moon" and is certainly no more than a CR 7 monster :p

You have the Sunwyrm and the Moon dog, off the top of my head.

Braininthejar2
2017-05-28, 04:43 PM
If the place is sunny, it might have big windows - a perfect place to set some stained glass golems

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/sfery/images/5/50/Glass_gargoyle.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120102101537

How about werewolves for the moon?

What more can you tell us about the theme of the dungeon?

hangedman1984
2017-05-28, 04:54 PM
What more can you tell us about the theme of the dungeon?

It is set in the labyrinthine catacombs beneath a major city the players are coming too. The entire place isn't sun/moon themed, but the "key" to get to the end objective is eclipse themed and broken up into two pieces, a sun piece and moon piece. Hoping to have a sun and moon "miniboss" guarding each of the pieces. If I can't find anything more fitting I think I am just going to go water elemental for he moon piece and fire elemental for the sun piece.

Also if anyone as any eclipse-ish riddles I could also completely steal I wouldn't mind that. But I can come up with that myself if I can't find anything fancy to rip off.

Braininthejar2
2017-05-28, 05:06 PM
I remember a physical puzzle from Legacy of Kain, where one had to move mirrors for a typical "get a beam of light from point A to point B" puzzle, but then slide another movable object to get in the way - this would then cast a shadow that became a magical bridge across a chasm.

AlanBruce
2017-05-28, 05:13 PM
Depending on the party's level, there are two Moon themed creatures in the MM2.

The Mooncalf and the Moonbeast. Both have a a Lovecraftian feel to it and one, if I'm not mistaken is very strong and over CRed, but I recall they have an amulet related to the moon that could be placed in the labyrinth.

legomaster00156
2017-05-28, 05:56 PM
Will your players be given round capsules for capturing these beasts? :smallbiggrin:

ShurikVch
2017-05-28, 07:36 PM
Anyone know of any sun and/or moon related monsters, preferably around cr7?The problem there is: most of relevant monsters are either too high-CRed (for example, Mooncalf and Sunfly Swarm are both CR 10, or Moon Dog and Sun Giant - CR 12), or too low-CRed (Moonrat with CR 1/4, or Goatman, Moon Clan with CR 1/2)

So, maybe, it will be better to take some more-or-less thematically fit low-HD creature - Moon Elf, Sun Elf, Sunscorch Hobgoblin, and add in some appropriate classes - Dark Moon Monk, Lunar Rogue, Moon-Warded Ranger, Sun Soul Monk, Sunmaster - and feats (Sun Devotion, Sun School...)

EDIT:
But wait...
Apparently, there is at least one fitting monster of exactly CR 7: Lunar Ravager in Monster Manual IV

hangedman1984
2017-05-28, 08:57 PM
Yeah, I think I just settled on huge elementals, fire for sun and water for moon.

DrMotives
2017-05-28, 09:29 PM
Half-elemental is a +2 CR template, so find some CR 5 base monsters that are more thematic to add the half-E template too. A wolf or werewolf of some sort for moon, and lion for sun? Checking creatures by CR, I see half-water greater barghest & half-fire manticore would both clock in at CR 7.

danielxcutter
2017-05-28, 09:36 PM
I think there's a sun and moon themed Wizard ACF.

DrMotives
2017-05-28, 09:39 PM
I think there's a sun and moon themed Wizard ACF.

There is, but it's not relevant to dungeon boss design. It lets you prepare 2 spells in one slot, but if you're underground you can only cast the "moon spell" and above ground the "sun spell". It's just a wizard with a slightly more flexible spell preparation option.

danielxcutter
2017-05-28, 09:42 PM
There is, but it's not relevant to dungeon boss design. It lets you prepare 2 spells in one slot, but if you're underground you can only cast the "moon spell" and above ground the "sun spell". It's just a wizard with a slightly more flexible spell preparation option.

Hrmph. Too bad. :smallannoyed:

Gildedragon
2017-05-28, 09:57 PM
Xag ye and Xag yi... Iirc are the positive and negative energy Energons
They are balls of energy with tentacles

Lantern Archos

Dark Creature Lantern Archons

Red and white dragons

Fire Golem (not sure it exists but pretty sure it does)
Stone Golem

Living Spells: Daylight, Deeper Darkness, Starmantle...

Inevitability
2017-05-29, 12:42 AM
You want a half-celestial dire lion (https://www.serebii.net/sunmoon/pokemon/791.png) and a shadow dire bat ghost (https://www.serebii.net/sunmoon/pokemon/792.png), obviously.

Thurbane
2017-05-29, 03:55 AM
Lunar Ravager (MM4) CR 7
Moon Dog (BoED) CR 12
Moonrat (MM2)CR 1/4
Moonbeast (MM2) CR 16
Mooncalf (MM2) CR 10
Sun Giant (MM2) CR 12
Sunwyrm (FF) CR 14

How about a team up of a Lunar Ravager, and a Sunscorch Hobgoblin (RotD) Cleric 7 with Sun and Thirst domains?

Bohandas
2017-05-29, 06:50 PM
What's the campaign setting because that makes a difference

In the Dragonlance setting Nuitari, the moon of black magic, is inhabited by beholderkin and sapient ameoba-like creatures called Delnoric Plasmoids

The primary moon or Oreth in the Greyhawk setting, Kule, is inhabited by mind-flayers and drow. Though that system is geocentric so technically all of the planets in it are moons of Oreth

and Toril's moon is inhabited by a luxury obsessed race of elves

hangedman1984
2017-05-29, 06:57 PM
It is a homebrewed setting.

ATHATH
2017-05-29, 07:24 PM
Wasn't there a Dragon Magazine issue that focused on sun-related stuff and moon-related stuff?

Bohandas
2017-05-29, 08:14 PM
Wasn't there a Dragon Magazine issue that focused on sun-related stuff and moon-related stuff?

Issue #340: Astrology

ShurikVch
2017-05-30, 06:48 AM
How about using some Living Spells?
Moon-themed spells may include: Light of Lunia, Moonbeam, Moon Bolt, Wall of Moonlight, Moonbow, and Moonfire
Sun-themed - Disk of Solar Vengeance, Body of the Sun, Sun Bolt, Aura of the Sun, Sunmantle, Anger of the Noonday Sun, Sunbeam, Sunburst, and Deadly Sunstroke

Also, somehow, nobody suggested Radiant Creature or/and Half-Dragon (Radiant) templates for Sun-themed boss

For Moon-themed - Heroes of Battle have Luna Moth

Inevitability
2017-05-30, 07:23 AM
Now that I think about it, a Vivacious creature would also be a pretty good fit for a sun monster.

ShurikVch
2017-05-30, 08:59 AM
Now that I think about it, a Vivacious creature would also be a pretty good fit for a sun monster.Speaking of Positive Energy-related creatures: wouldn't Xag-Ya the decent variant? (Advanced to 11 HD - to be CR 7)

Also, I just noticed: for Sun- and Moon- themed creatures, wouldn't Lantern Archon and Will-o'-wisp fit right in (advanced to CR 7 by whatever means)?

Living Ferroplasm (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psb/20030725d) could be a good Moon-themed boss, but it's CR 14...