PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Can Favored Terrains Overlap?

ATHATH
2017-05-28, 11:30 PM
For example, if a city is in an area that has a cold climate, does it count as both "urban" and "cold" for the purposes of the Ranger's Favored Terrain ability?

legomaster00156
2017-05-28, 11:47 PM
It's more about the environment than the climate. While a city may be found in a desert, traversing a desert city confers far different challenges than the desert wilderness.

Florian
2017-05-29, 12:26 AM
For example, if a city is in an area that has a cold climate, does it count as both "urban" and "cold" for the purposes of the Ranger's Favored Terrain ability?

While FT can have overlap, your example doesn´t work as you have to choose terrain types, not climate.

Waker
2017-05-29, 12:30 AM
If a specific terrain falls into more than one category of favored terrain, the ranger’s bonuses do not stack; he simply uses whichever bonus is higher.
Last sentence in the Favored Terrain description.

ATHATH
2017-05-29, 01:27 AM
Last sentence in the Favored Terrain description.
Ah, good. I'm playing in a norse, Human-only campaign soon, and I'd rather prefer it if my Fey Magic variant Human didn't have his SLAs shut off whenever he goes inside of a city.

Florian
2017-05-29, 02:48 AM
Ah, good. I'm playing in a norse, Human-only campaign soon, and I'd rather prefer it if my Fey Magic variant Human didn't have his SLAs shut off whenever he goes inside of a city.

You know, by RAW you have a problem here. FT overlap is a very specific thing, needing very specific conditions to happen at all. Both terrains must be present at the same time, like, say, a heavily wooded mountain counting as both, "woods" and "mountain". A city in a cold land doesn´t qualify.