PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Abazigal's lair (Baldur's Gate campaign)

Braininthejar2
2017-05-29, 04:05 AM
Hello - looking for ideas for my BG campaign.

I'm in the middle of designing Abazigal's lair (preparing two places at once now, depending on where the party decides to go next)

What I'm looking for is some "puzzles" for the dungeon - any challenges that aren't strictly combat. The computer version had a maze of tunnels flooded by a hot spring, that had to be swam through, but I don't think this would smoothly translate to pen and paper...

DESCRIPTION: (some changes from the computer game already)

The bhaalspawn Abazigal, a blue half-dragon is in the process of building a powerful strike force, using his unique ability that came with his divine blood - a power that lets him dominate dragons. He has already gathered several of them, of various sizes and colors, and has made his base in the mountain lair of the oldest red in the realm, subjugating him, and hijacking his cult of dragon worshippers in the process.

The lair is a multi-level cave with a maze of tunnels, and several entrances. It is warded against "scry and fry", but not very much beyond that - Both Abazigal and the previous owner believe in crushing the intruders over keeping them out.

So far the features of the caverns include:

- a number of dominated dragons - which the party probably won't want to fight, both because some of them are enslaved metallic dragons, and because fighting multiple dragons is never smart.
- a main entrance in the form of a temple, with a powerful cult leader, as well as some golems and a bunch of fodder cultists.
- an upper "landing pad" entrance with the cult's wyvern riders.
- cells with prisoners kept for food and experiments
- a mad scientist, who keeps experimenting with giving cultists draconic power (the results are several half dragon monsters, and the cult's chief of security becoming a werewyvern), but whose personal favourite subject is beholders - he has a number of eyeball monsters flying through the tunnels as a mobile security system.

So...

1) as mentioned, what non-combat challenges could I add to make it more interesting?

2) the dominated dragons - the power that enslaves them is divine in nature - letting the party just dispell it to turn the dragons against their master would be cheap. But making a level 20 party unable to do anything about it is also cheap. Can you think of some convoluted way they could use to solve the problem? ( enough to get several dragons from interfering, limiting them to fighting the two that accompany Abazigal directly )

Kaleph
2017-05-29, 04:25 AM
Hello - looking for ideas for my BG campaign.
...the dominated dragons - the power that enslaves them is divine in nature - letting the party just dispell it to turn the dragons against their master would be cheap. But making a level 20 party unable to do anything about it is also cheap. Can you think of some convoluted way they could use to solve the problem? ( enough to get several dragons from interfering, limiting them to fighting the two that accompany Abazigal directly )

Mmmm what about the original quest, i.e. the scroll they would get from the mad wizard in exchange of a favor? Then of course you let the party meet Bondari and get the golden pantaloons.

I mean, "Bondary reloads" is my favored cutscene in all BGT.

Braininthejar2
2017-05-29, 04:38 AM
A side quest in the middle of invading a dragon's lair? Not sure if I can implement it smoothly.

The wizard does seem like someone who could give them some extra dialogue at least - but what could he want that wouldn't just involve another fight?

Kaleph
2017-05-29, 04:49 AM
A side quest in the middle of invading a dragon's lair? Not sure if I can implement it smoothly.

The wizard does seem like someone who could give them some extra dialogue at least - but what could he want that wouldn't just involve another fight?

OK, so let's say they fight the wizard.

First, they get in the lair and they see an overwhelming number of enslaved Dragons; you may somehow make clear, that trying to fight them is hopeless.
The dragons attack all non-dragon creatures in a certain part of the lair, let's say, before Abazigal's room (or cave). Nevertheless, the PC's notice that the flying skulls, and even the mage himself, navigate through this section of the dungeon problemless. The dragons CANNOT see them. Because Abazigal gave the wizard a token, which allows him to render any number of creatures invisible to the dragons (something similar to the sigil stone you use to avoid the shadow dragon). So the mini-quest is to gather these information, ambush the wizard, kill him and get the stone.

The mini-quest should be focused on getting the information, that the token exists. This could involve getting information from the enemies (Draconis or the cultists), exploring, spying etc...

Braininthejar2
2017-05-29, 05:56 AM
if dragons are commanded to attack intruders and then left on autopilot... some disguises might be easier to do than tokens.

Pity about those dispel magic traps :smallbiggrin:

Braininthejar2
2017-05-29, 06:08 AM
Now about the dragons. I guess an orb of dragonkind could contest control over a particular dragon - but finding one is not something one can do during a downtime between adventures.

Is there anything similar that could be easier to get? Or some ploy that could create a loophole in the dominate effect?

Kaleph
2017-05-29, 06:14 AM
Now about the dragons. I guess an orb of dragonkind could contest control over a particular dragon - but finding one is not something one can do during a downtime between adventures.

Is there anything similar that could be easier to get? Or some ploy that could create a loophole in the dominate effect?

Some kind of time duplicate of Abazigal...a clone/simulacrum/whatever who still has the divine sparkle of the real BBEG.

Braininthejar2
2017-05-29, 10:06 AM
...a clone/simulacrum/whatever who still has the divine sparkle of the real BBEG.

I need this one for later .I want to use it for Sendai.

Braininthejar2
2017-05-29, 04:45 PM
I think I can make the mad scientist into an interesting plotline after all - He doesn't seem to fit the dragon cultists that much so... perhaps he's only with them to further his own goals?

He's obviously obsessed with eyes. Sure, he does dragon-themed upgrades on the cultists, but eyes are what he lives for. What does he get out of the cooperation? Eyes of high CR creatures to experiment on.

He has some monsters of his own now, from his sentry eyeballs, to a devouring eyeball swarm ( a "wall of eyes" living spell, slightly modified to fit the rules), but of course he also has a big project he hasn't told anyone about, a plan to become a perfect being he has envisioned.

Some time ago he has cast a clone spell on himself. But rather than leave it in stasis as intended, he started modifying it with beholder, illithid, and fiendish grafts, using limited wish to get past some limitations. He has tweaked it to the point where the only human part about it is the brain, grafted into an elder orb body. He would have killed himself already, to be reborn as his eyebomination - but perfection is an elusive thing; he keeps adding eyestalks!

Now that there are adventurers in the compound, he is likely to notice them quite soon. He could of course raise the alarm and help everyone destroy the intruders. But he would rather meet them alone instead, to offer a trade. He can make their lives a lot easier, and they have something he wants, something that would sadly turn to dust if they were to be destroyed by Abazighal.

A living bhaalspawn, with companions powerful enough to easily provide a regenerate spell. That makes a small 'donation' much more plausible. Iycanth has spent decades on his life's work, trying to make it perfect: what better way to complete it than an eye of a god?

Kaleph
2017-05-29, 05:13 PM
I think I can make the mad scientist into an interesting plotline after all - He doesn't seem to fit the dragon cultists that much so... perhaps he's only with them to further his own goals?

He's obviously obsessed with eyes. Sure, he does dragon-themed upgrades on the cultists, but eyes are what he lives for. What does he get out of the cooperation? Eyes of high CR creatures to experiment on.

He has some monsters of his own now, from his sentry eyeballs, to a devouring eyeball swarm ( a "wall of eyes" living spell, slightly modified to fit the rules), but of course he also has a big project he hasn't told anyone about, a plan to become a perfect being he has envisioned.

Some time ago he has cast a clone spell on himself. But rather than leave it in stasis as intended, he started modifying it with beholder, illithid, and fiendish grafts, using limited wish to get past some limitations. He has tweaked it to the point where the only human part about it is the brain, grafted into an elder orb body. He would have killed himself already, to be reborn as his eyebomination - but perfection is an elusive thing; he keeps adding eyestalks!

Now that there are adventurers in the compound, he is likely to notice them quite soon. He could of course raise the alarm and help everyone destroy the intruders. But he would rather meet them alone instead, to offer a trade. He can make their lives a lot easier, and they have something he wants, something that would sadly turn to dust if they were to be destroyed by Abazighal.

A living bhaalspawn, with companions powerful enough to easily provide a regenerate spell. That makes a small 'donation' much more plausible. Iycanth has spent decades on his life's work, trying to make it perfect: what better way to complete it than an eye of a god?

Why not the eye of Abazigal?

In any case sounds sadistic enough, I mean, if your players like this kinda stuff. Also, what would be his "donation" (i.e. the McGuffin)?

Braininthejar2
2017-05-29, 05:46 PM
the mc guffin depends on what else I put there as part of the security system. Anything that will let them get past some dragons will do.

As for Abazighal... of course that was his first idea - but his new boss doesn't seem to get the hint - and if he dies, he dusts - the eye needs to be from a living specimen

ATHATH
2017-05-29, 07:38 PM
PSA: The Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition series is currently available on/for the iPad.

#NotAnAd

Sadly, since I'm still only at Amkethran, I don't think that I can really help you with this. Sorry.

Braininthejar2
2017-05-30, 06:54 AM
Why do you read it then? There could be spoilers.

ATHATH
2017-05-30, 08:25 AM
Why do you read it then? There could be spoilers.
Eh, I've kind of spoiled myself a bit already; besides, I only really skimmed the OP.

Braininthejar2
2017-05-30, 08:50 AM
Okay, the work is progressing. I have the first version of a map, and some rough descriptions.

http://i1036.photobucket.com/albums/a441/Braininthejar2/Abazhigals%20caves_zpsn1hv9r70.jpg

General security: The caves are warded against scrying, earthquake collapse, and from unauthorized teleportation (I'll have to figure out where it redirects) - this is done by runes inscribed in huge letters along the walls of the main caves.

Dominated dragons - to be placed, but there should be 1-2 in each major cavern.

I Main entrance level: inhabited by most of the cult of the dragon
II Upper level: a huge landing platform upon a cliff far above the main entrance. cave tunels go down towards level I
III Deep caves: partially flooded with hot water from the springs inside the mountain. Contain the cult's lab, as well as the main treasure chamber.

1 Main entrance. It has been shaped like a temple, though the columns are purely decorative, as there is no roof to support. Two animated dragon statues guard the approach. There also some cultists stationed there.
2 Cult chambers - the northern side of the corridor contains the smithy, the armory, the storage area and a bathroom.
3 Cult chambers - the southern part is the main cultist compound, with a large chamber that serves as a courtyard, a magic fountain that supplies water, the kitchen, the library, and the sleeping quarters.
4 the foyer - this chamber is where the dragon would meet any mortals arriving to pay it tribute. The cult was in the process of using stone shape to decorate the whole cavern with murals in his honor, but the work is unfinished, and currently halted as the cult is trying to modify the design for Abazhigal.
4a cellblock - mostly for 'livestock' to be eaten later.
5 Cult leader's quarters. Draconis, the cult leader lives in this cave. It has been furnished to look like a miniature dragon cave. It also has a scrying pool exempt from the cave's scrying wards. (Draconis probably isn't here, unless the party has managed to get this far without raising an alarm. The cult's treasury is also here.
6 Landing platform overlooking the valley. the cult's wyvern riders will be here.
7 hangar: This cave has been extensively modified by the cult to house their wyverns. The rest of their armed force is there, led by the cult champion - they bear many body modifications meant to make them more 'draconic' - the champion has actually been turned into a werewyvern.
8 wyvern food storage
9 the wyvern riders' living quarters.
10 This cavern used to be a kobold village worshipping the resident red dragon. When the cultists came, they proved to be much more powerful and capable, despite their non-reptilian nature - so the dragon abandoned the kobolds without pity. They have been killed or used up for experiments, and the cavenn is now divided into pens, containing multiple "draconised" beasts the cult has been upgrading.
11 Iycant's lab. This is where Iycanth resides. The cavern is full of bizarre body parts in jars. He will likely contact the party before they get here - if he has to fight, he will sick his eyeball monsters on the heroes, and if losing, will dive into the pool behind him.
11a Iycanth's inner sanctum, containing the cloning vat with his greatest project. The way in is through a flooded tunnel - there is a wall of gr dispel half way through, but he is semi-aquatic through grafts, so he can swim through unaffected.
12 hot springs - a cavern flooded with hot water, used as a sauna by the cultists.
13 guard room - one of iycanth's more successful creation guards the path here.
14 hot cave - this is basically a dragon sauna, a big cavern with pools of scalding hot water. the red that ruled the place would spend a lot of time here.
15 guard room - another of iycant's draconic monsters resides here.
16 trapped corridor. This is the most direct path in, and the most heavily guarded. there are wind spells embedded in the walls that manipulate air circulation - the reason isn't instantly obvious, but if an alarm has been sounded, the corridor will have an extra active trap - a minor creation effect will drop a huge amount of oil at the end of the corridor and set it on fire, rapidly filling the corridor with carbon monooxide fumes. A bunch of dragon-shaped furnance golems will activate to keep the intruders busy until they suffocate.
17 the dragon's dining room. This room contains an orb that coordinates most of the magical defences and allows scrying within the compound. There are also walls of gr dispel magic in all entries.
18 final gate - warded to give the dragon time to prepare the last line of defense if any intruders make it this deep.
19 treasure room. The former owner of the compound will be here, as well as Abazighal, and his blue dragon mother. The cave has extra wards against etheral intruders, summoning and earthgliding.
20 escape tunnel - one-way: it leads towards a teleportation platform leading to the cliffs outside.

Braininthejar2
2017-05-31, 05:07 PM
Side quest ideas:

1 Angry dead. The kobolds that used to inhabit location 10 were killed by the cultists, and used as components for experimentation (partially as a source of body parts, but mostly as raw biological material used to apply templates to creatures - after all, they keep claiming to be "dragon blood") The ghost of the tribe leader still haunts the location, wracked by anguish over his tribe's fate.

He wants the party to wipe out the monsters created with his kin's flesh. He isn't concerned with the mad scientist himself, his anger focused solely on his former dragon master - in return for the service he offers the password to the wards of the inner sanctum, which might make the final battle easier.

2 All the bad girls. Among the cultists in location 2, there is a minor NPC the party once met. He claims to have joined the cult in an attempt to save a girl he had fallen for (not the first nor the last) from falling in with the wrong crowd, but both the evil and the CR is much more than he was ready for. He begs the party to help him get her out of the battle. The girl is a minor servant in the cult, and currently working in location 12, which makes the party explore a bigger part of the compound.