PDA

View Full Version : Returning a new car after 3 months ???

KoDT69
2007-08-02, 07:38 PM
About 3 months ago I let my wife talk me into getting a 2006 KIA Spectra. It only has 23,000 miles on it but it's already been serviced once for some random issues and now the transmission and fuel pump are acting up. It doesn't always want to start either. I shouldn't be dealing with this at all and I paid entirely too much for it to tolerate. Does anybody out in the Playground know what rules would be associated with just returning the darn thing? It's making me sick just thinking about making the next paymnt... :smallfrown:

Sisqui
2007-08-02, 09:22 PM
http://autopedia.com/html/HotLinks_Lemon.html

This is a lemon law website (assuming you are in the U.S.)

adanedhel9
2007-08-02, 09:31 PM
Look up your local lemon laws... I believe they vary by state to state. The general gist of most such laws is that the manufacturer may be responsible for the cost of replacing the vehicle if there's repeated problems. However, the situations which the law covers are so tight that a car that's simply unreliable (which could very well describe your car) doesn't usually fit the definition of lemon.

Go here (http://www.carlemon.com/) to find more information on your state's lemon laws.

Azrael
2007-08-03, 07:31 AM
... although if you bought it used, lemon laws are far less helpful.

Also: Kia Spectra? Seriously man, do some research. Note the repair rate.

EDIT: Wait. You said "new." Did you buy it new? If so, where are you going in a economy car at a rate of 23k miles in 3 months? Or is that supposed to be 2300?

Argent
2007-08-03, 07:52 AM
If it's only got 23,000 miles on it, isn't it still under the original warranty? 2007 Kias have a basic 5-year, 60,000-mile warranty -- I'd imagine the warranty on the '06 models would be similar. The warranty will be your saving grace here, because it being a used car and also having purchased it more than 90 days ago... I'd think you're out of luck on the lemon law bit.

Lord Herman
2007-08-03, 08:40 AM
To count as a lemon, I believe your car has to be yellow, oblong, and about three inches long.

KoDT69
2007-08-03, 11:29 AM
Well it has 23k miles on it. I bought it used I guess you call it fresh off of a one-year lease. The 60,000 mile warranty is still in place, but the fact is I don't feel I should be dealing with these things already :smallfrown: Oh and also as stated previously, my wife picked it and signed for it... Of course she quit her job a week later and I'm stuck footing the bill. :smallfurious:
So yeah, I want rid of it already and am considering just letting the bank repo the darn thing if I have to, although that would also suck hard. :smalleek:

Sisqui
2007-08-03, 09:54 PM
I would try some other means first. Man, oh man, do you not, I repeat NOT, want to pay the higher interests rates on everything you buy for the next seven years because of a repo on your credit. :smalleek: