PDA

View Full Version : Let's... build the "perfect" nerd/geek bar

Decstarr
2017-05-29, 05:41 AM
Hey guys,

currently exploring the idea to open up a place for fellow nerds & geeks here in the Heidelberg area. To do this, I first need to come up with several options for the business concept and would really like/appreciate your help. I need to gather some information first to be able to set up a business concept and create a real survey.

The idea is to offer a place in which people who are interested in tabletop games - and other nerd topics - can hang out, meet each other, play their favorite games and enjoy some drinks and maybe food. We'd like to mimic the style of the typical US sports bar and also have several TVs up so people can watch Critical Role for instance or maybe some Esports Tournaments in Dota 2, LoL or anything else that might be of interest to watch. We're also considering to put in a gaming station area, where people could try out stuff that might be too expensive for the average user at home like a high-end PC running VR e.g. We'd like to use some - depending on the size of establishment - high quality gaming tables and would always have a high stock of dice & corebooks etc that customers could use. We're considering to add things like a reading corner with a stock of comic books and "classics" like LotR etc. Obviously, we'd always be available to help people make their first steps in the game of their choice.

So, my questions are:
- Would you go and spend time at such a place if it was somewhere near you?
- How would you picture such a place to be enjoying yourself?
- Would you be willing to pay money for a service like e.g. using high quality gaming tables?
- What would be times of day that you'd go and visit such a place?
- Does the idea of having screens there appeal to you or do you think it'd be too distracting?
- Is food important or would "snacks" suffice?
- Would you generally consider backing an idea like this on Kickstarter?
- Do you like the idea of mixing tabletop games with e.g Esport or do you think a more singular focus would be better?

Thank you very much!

EccentricCircle
2017-05-29, 06:52 AM
Sounds like a great idea. We have some board game cafes and geek cafes opening up in the UK, which seem to be doing quite well. (Look up Thirsty Meeples in Oxford and Geek Retreat in Birmingham.)

If you are mixing different types of gaming then the main priority is making sure that all participants can have the best experience. I would struggle to play a tabletop rpg, much less run one, in an environment where there are TVs and games consoles blaring, and people are hanging out, eating or drinking, the noise and distraction would just be too high.

You could maybe have a few dedicated gaming rooms, perhaps with different themes off your main area. That way a D&D group could rent the Fantasy room and have shields on the walls and an old Oak table. Sci fi gamers could have one set up with fake windows looking out into space scenes, or designed to look like a both in the Mos Eisly Cantina. A Cthulhu room could have vintage furniture and shelves packed with mythos tomes.

That way you can have the loud stuff like TVs and hangout zones in your main area, but people can still play RPGs comfortably out back.

So to answer your specific questions.
Yes, I would go to such a place.
I would only pay for gaming tables if they were quiet, and comfortable.
I would only be likely to attend such a place out of office hours.
Screens wouldn't appeal to me, and I would find them massively distracting, but I can see why others with a different gaming focus would enjoy having them.
For an evening game snacks would be fine, but if people are doing day long gaming marathons then food would be good, if people can't bring their own food then you would need to be able to provide it.
I probably wouldn't back such an idea on a kickstarter, but that doesn't mean its not a good idea.
I wouldn't be interested in esports personally, but a lot would, so mixing them might bring the two crowds together.

I hope that helps and good luck with your venture!

Natediggadoggit
2017-05-29, 07:09 AM
I also approve of this idea. sadly, I live in a fairly rural area and wouldn't be able to make use of it, but if it existed in my area, I would totally go there with my gaming group. I like the idea of mixing in Esports, because I worry about if it would be popular enough as JUST a gaming refuge to bring in enough business. I do enjoy esports myself.

The biggest attractor for me would be food availability, and comfortable seating. And food availability would include ordering from the bar, and also being able to just buy a giant tub of licorice or something.

-I would go to such a place
-I picture an open table with comfortable chairs I could rent for 3 hours, or maybe complimentary if we order enough food, and maybe a separate section where I can watch a LoL game or a Street Fighter tournament on big screens.
-I'd pay money just to rent the table, especially since I have a small apartment with not much furniture, but unlikely more than 7$ for a 3hr gaming session, I gotta have enough money to buy snacks.
-Times of day, basically the times of day that comic and gaming shops are usually open. Generally noon to 11pm
-I like the idea of screens, but it could get way too distracting in an intense RPG session when you want the players to be in character, and in world. And the noise if people are cheering them on would be too much. They'd have to be sectioned off.
-Food could be important, but it depends on the quality of the snacks. Like, I can be fine with chips and salsa, or the endless bread bowl at olive garden.
-I would not back it on kickstarter, as I wouldn't be able to benefit from it, living in a rural area.
-I like the idea of mixing esports in, for clientele sake, but that would require a lot more room to properly section them off, as it could distract people.

Firest Kathon
2017-05-29, 07:50 AM
That sounds really interesting, as I am located in the Heidelberg area.

Would you go and spend time at such a place if it was somewhere near you? Yes, I would go there. Probably not regularly, as I have other things going on, but I'd be a recurring customer.
How would you picture such a place to be enjoying yourself? There would need to be at least semi-separated spaces for RPG activities to avoid disturbance by/of others. We are currently hosting our Pathfinder Society sessions in a gaming store shared with a Magic the Gathering crowd, and it is hard to focus on the game due to the noise level. In addition, there might be a general area for hanging out, eating, playing smaller games (2-4 players), and watching e-Sports.
Would you be willing to pay money for a service like e.g. using high quality gaming tables? I would only be willing to pay money if the place offers above-average services. This includes certainly separated spaces, but also useful things like emergency gaming supplies for loan/purchase (dice, grid maps, pens), general miniatures for use during the games etc. Anotehr great service would be a locker area where you could store materials for recurring sessions.
What would be times of day that you'd go and visit such a place? Generally weekday evenings, maybe sometimes on the weekend for special events (in-store or e-sports)
Does the idea of having screens there appeal to you or do you think it'd be too distracting? Screens are great in the common area, less so in the gaming area. I would not want to have a game while a TV is running next to me, but being able to watch some stream until my game is on sounds appealing.
Is food important or would "snacks" suffice? Small food items would be great, being able to bring in own food would be OK as well. Maybe you could partner with one or more nearby delivery or take-out places?
Would you generally consider backing an idea like this on Kickstarter? I'd consider it at least.
Do you like the idea of mixing tabletop games with e.g Esport or do you think a more singular focus would be better? Mixing them is fine, just not at the same time :smallcool:. Appealing to a larger crowd sounds like a good idea, as long as they do not disturb each other.

Edited to add: You may want to post to this Facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/1471658536483931) for more feedback.

Decstarr
2017-05-29, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the Feedback so far. I realize I was a little bit too vague in outlining the idea.

IF we add the screens for Esport/Twitch general, it would be in a common "hang out" area, much like a typical bar. We'd likely have several "ordinary" tables there - which will also be big enough to host a battlemap and some character sheets of course - so people can just hang out or play there, if they are not bothered by the screens. Likely, on normal days, the sound would be turned off anyways or if we have sufficient funds, one could probably just implement some bluetooth solution, so you can use a headset to tune in the sound of whichever screen you want to watch. This way, we could keep the noise issue limited to some degree.

I like the idea of having "game rooms", likely even with a solution to put up ambient sounds just for your table. The problem I see here is that by definition, we want to bring people together and with having separate rooms this kind of contradicts the whole idea. But it perfectly makes sense for people who want to play their game without being interrupted, so it is something we'll be considering.

As to paying for "gaming tables". This whole thing comes later in the business plan when we think about monetizing the business. It basically comes down to "we have a limited number of awesome tables meant for gaming, so if people want to block one for a number of time, we'd need to be sure that we create enough revenue during this time". So it'll either be a pay-per-time concept or maybe something like "minimum consumption" or another solution just so we can be sure the tables aren't occupied endlessly without creating sufficient income.

Elvenoutrider
2017-05-29, 09:06 AM
I've seen nerd bars open in my area but they have one problem they keep hitting. Drunk people aren't careful with the toys, board games or comics so things end up damaged, things missing.

The bars seem successful and there absolutely is a market for such things.

Side note- make large drinks involving dry ice or lighting the surface on fire and people will overspend on those

Kami2awa
2017-05-29, 09:51 AM
Make it amenable to conversation. By this I mean don't have loud music and try and avoid crazy amounts of echo. I know the latter sounds a bit odd but I have been in places (particularly underground restaurants) where the amount of echo actually hurts your ears after a while. Also, don't make it too hot. These are the two things that put me right off certain bars and pubs.

Pilo
2017-05-29, 10:45 AM
I have been in at least 5 places which looked like what you described.

One is an E-Sport place, which is quite expensive to start, as the owner had to buy computers, it works well though this is their facebook (https://www.facebook.com/WarpZoneRennes/) and they have a twitch channel if you are interested.

I know a place which is a game's bar, there is board games, lot of tables and chairs, and it is quite crowded. They do a lot of events (karaoke, geek/movie quizz) which fill the place. They serve food (homemade quiches, toasted ham and cheese sandwichs and pizzas) and drinks (wines, beers, soda and such). They have a lot of board games and every waiters knows how to play them, and they explain everything and often play a turn or two with the customers. It is called l'heure du jeu (http://www.lheuredujeu.fr/). However it is very noisy and that's an impediment.

There is an other place like that which is on the contrary a boardgame/cards/roleplaying game shop which is also a restaurant. The games are on the walls and there are table on the center, so you can play then eat, then play again, then buy some games. It is called the Amusance café (google can show you nice pictures). Once again, the main feature is that everyone, from the shopkeeper to the cook, is fond of boardgames.

Honest Tiefling
2017-05-29, 12:07 PM

Absolutely.

Three factors: Quiet, Not-smelly, and friendly. The last two might require booting out people, however, and I don't know how most feel about that.

- Would you be willing to pay money for a service like e.g. using high quality gaming tables?

Depends on the price point. But if I am buying, I also want the chance to reserve, and to be there consistently despite other events. Paying for computer time is a must.

I imagine Weekends are the highest, followed by weekdays after school/work due to the age of many a gamer.

- Does the idea of having screens there appeal to you or do you think it'd be too distracting?

Very distracting. Maybe only a few screens, with gaming tables away from them. Playing DnD is enough like herding cats to make this difficult. Perhaps have a food area where people can eat/drink/socialize/watch, and then a quieter area for games?

The LFGS near me lets people known to the staff to bring in food. I would suggest letting regulars who are known not to make a mess or bring in smelly food bring in outside food, and have snacks. Also, it has a nice selection of Asian sweets and drinks that are pretty hard to find, so getting exotic treats of some stripe might be worthwhile.

Were it in my area, which...I think you are not. I have seen a few restaurants in my area do a Kickstarter successfully. here's one a little ways away from me, if that helps. (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/northberkeleyparklet/a-parklet-for-north-berkeley-build-it-with-us/posts)

- Do you like the idea of mixing tabletop games with e.g Esport or do you think a more singular focus would be better?

I'd say this depends on space constraints. Most people I know of RPG game, and don't have an interest in e-sports but wouldn't mind watching some to chat with other gamers, hence concern about noise.

2D8HP
2017-05-29, 12:33 PM
......I have seen a few restaurants in my area do a Kickstarter successfully. here's one a little ways away from me, if that helps. (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/northberkeleyparklet/a-parklet-for-north-berkeley-build-it-with-us/posts)...

I think we're neighbors HT!

:smile:

Lvl 2 Expert
2017-05-29, 01:16 PM
Just the ones I have a decent answer for:

People pay for pool tables and table soccer (and pinball, and...), it's the same thing. But like with those things you have to figure out if and where they fit.

I've never had a commercial bar that I treated like my second living room, but if gamestores are any indication a place with room for tabletop games has potential to draw an afternoon crowd as well as the usual evening rush.

I don't like bars with screens. They suck attention in. Then again, I don't typically go to a bar to watch TV. An in between way might be a beamer you can whip out for big events. Aside from large esports tournaments maybe things like live coverage of the E3. You can advertise it on the windows and to people who are there in the weeks before and people will come to chat while also following the news in gaming. And as you mentioned, there is such a thing as a sports bar, there are possibly plenty of people who would go to a bar that always shows esports, just not me.

That's a hard one. I think it would be nice to have some bar food, something warm. Does not have to be a full menu, but at least some deep fried snacks or something similar.

No, definitely not if it's not in my area. And if it is I can't really think of a lot of incentives that would be both fitting and easy to hand out/implement. I'm not giving money for a ****ty T-shirt, I want to get something that improves my experience at the bar.

That being said, the idea might be more pitchable to property owners, investors or even banks than you realize. A guy owns five bars in town, one of them is not doing well because it's too bland, you have a concept the city does not have yet, maybe done some market research indicating your potential customer base, they might let you run the place...

My concern would be that the tabletop crowd might be maybe a bit too nerdy for but mostly kind of out of place in an esports place. No offence to any of you, last of all myself, but gaming (with a computer) is pretty mainstream now, like superhero comics, fantasy books and science fiction TV series. The bar is also set up to make gaming a spectator sport. Meanwhile the table top games are live, there are groups sitting separately from the rest of the bar playing that Dungeons and Dragons game. That group over there seems to be having a good time, but why at that other table is that one guy yelling a description of a castle over the volume of the music? Then again, a lot of bars have both dancing and pool, and I could easily have written this paragraph about those two things.

Decstarr
2017-05-29, 02:56 PM
Thanks again for all the great input and especially all the links! you guys are very helpful!

Jay R
2017-05-29, 03:16 PM
Two of the major attractions of Hexworld in Austin (when it was open) were:

1. The ability to find people to game with. If you didn't have a steady group, you could expect to find some players.

2. The games library. They were very good about ordering new boardgames, so it was a place to play a game once or twice before deciding whether to buy it.

halfeye
2017-05-29, 03:28 PM
Hey guys,

currently exploring the idea to open up a place for fellow nerds & geeks here in the Heidelberg area.

So, my questions are:

No, I don't go to pubs.

No.

I can't see that paying.

Nope.

Showing TV commercially is expensive (legally, in my country, YMMV or not). Anything else is a minority activity at the very best.

I haven't done kickstarter yet, and I don't plan to.

What do you mean by Esports?

Seems negative I know, but you have to aim to survive, if you do this, and the vast majority of people in your area are not going to bother, even if you are well known, and getting well known is very difficult.

veti
2017-05-29, 04:21 PM
So, my questions are:

Thank you very much!

From a business perspective, my concern would be that people playing games tend to sit in one place for a very long time, and they won't spend all that much in that time. They may buy a drink and a few snacks, but nothing like as much as customers in a regular bar who are there primarily for those things (who will eat and drink up, and then leave, thus freeing the table - the gamers will still be sat there, all afternoon).

1. No, I wouldn't go there. But I would have done, when I was younger (and had time).
2. My mental picture is of fairly low tables, maybe 1.5 by 2 metres, surrounded by (probably) a single U-shaped bench, so an indeterminate number of people can sit around the same table. The bench needs to be comfortable enough to recline on (if there's space). Each table and bench forms a self-contained space, so up to about 10 people can sit around one table without, essentially, disturbing anyone else.
3. Would I pay money just for using the table? Hmm, tricky. I'd pay for beer and snacks while I was using it, certainly, but rent for the actual table? Probably not at a rate that would make it economically viable.
4. Chiefly weekends. Potentially, all afternoon and evening.
5. Put the screens on one side of the room and the gaming tables on the other, with the bar between the two. There could be room for both, but screens close to the tabletop area would be distracting.
6. For food, if you don't want to go to the trouble of running a full kitchen, I suggest doing a deal with some local takeaways. You hand out their menus and phone orders to them, and take a commission every time they deliver to you.
7. I'd want to see a considerably more detailed business plan before I put money into it.
8. More than one type of game is fine, so long as you give people the option to isolate themselves from other groups. The table setup described above would take care of that, I think.

Geddy2112
2017-05-29, 04:51 PM
Gonna echo a lot of what was said above:

Would I go and spend time there? Absolutely. The local brewery in my town is open on weekends and they let you(the owners encourage) you to bring board games, as well as have some of their own for patrons to use. I am there a few times a month, and if they have a gaming day I usually go with my friends.

How would I picture such a place? Quiet, or at least not loud. I don't mind if there are other games going on on nearby tables, but I need to be able to hear what is going on at my table and not hear the details of the other games. A background din is tolerable, but I would not want it to be loud. Even without private rooms, I would really like having waitstaff so we did not have to get up to get drinks and interrupt the game.

Would I pay for a table?-Maybe. I would not pay to sit at a picnic table and play a TTRPG, but if the table was in a private room, or table rental let you rent any of the games from the store, then were talking.
That said, you stand to make the most money on selling booze and need to be hustling that over table space. Ideally, you would not want to charge for tables unless you had such demand that even with a charge you are booked solid. You could have a base rate for the table-say, 10 bucks an hour. However, if the table is ordering more food/booze than this price, they don't pay the base rate. I bring this up because while I don't mind paying for table space, I would prefer to buy pizza and beer from my game shop and support them that way.

As an aside, Japanese Karaoke bars charge a flat rate per person per hour for a room, and they just provide the karaoke stuff. They also sell food/ drinks a la carte but they make most of their money off private rooms. A lot of them have what is called Nomihodai(all you can drink) which for an extra fee per hour, you can drink as much as you want. It would certainly never fly in America(I honestly don't know how it does there) but you could offer a similar service-i.e. renting a room at a higher rate includes chips and fountain drinks. Worth looking into that business model.

When would I go?Nights and weekends, I could see myself moving my game night to there and playing some pickup games, so maybe 2 nights a week if I really liked it.

TV screens? If they were on mute it would not be too distracting, but I don't want some loud music or sports program on in the gaming area. If you had a common area and private gaming rooms then it would not be too bad.

Food? At minimum snacks, but having real food would be ideal. If people are going to be there for 3+ hours real food becomes a viable thing, and a lot of game groups often do food at the start of the session or might break for it. Nothing fancy, but having it would be an option. That said, food has a really low profit margin-to be rolling in cash you need to be selling booze.

Back on kickstarter? Only if it was local, and only if I got something for it.

Tabletop and esport? Very against this, mainly because while there is some overlap, they are different crowds and require a very different setup. In the not distant future, esport will be on at sports bars or there will be esports bars, while tabletop gaming is different.

I've seen nerd bars open in my area but they have one problem they keep hitting. Drunk people aren't careful with the toys, board games or comics so things end up damaged, things missing.
The bars seem successful and there absolutely is a market for such things.
I also totally second this. There are some places in nearby cities that have done this and been successful, but lots of people drinking is going to lead to problems.

Mr Beer
2017-05-29, 09:21 PM
So, my questions are:

Theoretically, yes but probably not in relaity. I like drinking and I like RPG stuff but my RPG friends don't drink.

So, my questions are:

Boozing in a nerdspace.

So, my questions are:

No. I would game at home instead of paying.

Screens yes, but separate from gaming area. You need some separation anyway.

Evenings. Maybe a weekend day sometimes.

I strongly suggest you serve some kind of food because drinkers need to eat. Also, this is a way to monetise. I would go with bar snacks and avoid things that are too sloppy because you have board games etc. that react badly with ribs, meatball sauce etc.

Don't let people bring their own food. It's a short step from that to having a dozen neckbeards show up, hog up free tables (not your high end gaming tables which they would have to pay for) for a day long RPG marathon, while eating smelly home made curry and smuggling in sodas in their bags. Basically using your expensive location as a free library space.

Nope. Most businesses fail and hospitality especially so and niche hospitality maybe even more so.

-

I don't mind either way but I strongly suggest you develop your own brand. There is inevitably going to be some crossover from TTRPGS to computer gaming, anime, fantasy, sci-fi, movies, comics etc. Too narrow and not enough people are interested, too broad and you don't know what you are. You are the one with the passion, so make your mark.

2D8HP
2017-05-30, 12:00 AM
Heidelberg, Germany?

Far from my "neck of the woods" then.

Oh well, I won't let ignorance of the subject prevent me from having an opinion!

In California "drinks but no food except for snacks" would mean that no one under 21 could come in, and that would limit your clientele.

So you should serve food.

I have seen bars and cafes with board games in them, but no RPG books, that would be cool!

OK, my wishlist:

Near where I live The Gilman Street Brewery sells good Ale and Beer in half pints, and full pints, but no food.

Other places if they sell don't have half-pint serving sizes, and that means some of the stronger drinks mean that I have to wait too long to sober up enough to drive.

Food, and good beer (I 'm partial to Downtown Brown, NewCastle and Ferme Noire) would be nice, and I have that at the Westbrae Biergarten even closer to my house, but It's

1) Outside seating.

2) Only full pints, no half-pints (good Beer though).

3) I don't like the sandwiches that much, especially for what they charge.

The Kensington Circus Pub had a really good tasting Beer, and a greaf Portobello mushroom "burger", but:

1) The pint was too much alcohol (my fault, I could have chosen a 4% instead of the 7.6%), a half-pint option would've been nice.

2) The kitchen didn't open till 5pm.

Other places are further away or unknown to me.

I'd like:

1) Tasty food quick, corned beef sandwiches, Portobello mushroom burgers, etc.

2) Tasty Ale, and Beef (maybe even wine, oh! maybe even mulled wine and mead!
By the glass, the pint, and the half-pint.

3) Be between my work and my home, so I may stop off for a "nip", and a "bite".

4) Quiet, comfortable spots to read.

5) Stuff I want to read (RPG rulebooks, fantasy fiction, history).

6) Genre films/T.V. shows with subtitles.

7) Pleasant music in some spots (but not too loud all over).

8) Tables that people are gaming at, for me to eavesdrop on (sadly, with a soon-to-be-one-year-old at home, I can't stay long enough to play any full sessions myself anymore).

9) A restaurant next door that I can bring takeout home from, that has food my wife would like, at a price that she doesn't complain about my spending it.

A hardware store close by would be nice to!

:cool:

Algeh
2017-05-30, 01:30 AM

Maybe. I'm somewhat picky about places that are too loud/overstimulating, so I choose smaller, quieter bars when I can. I like to read while I drink (coffee, alcohol, or anything in between, depending on time of day and circumstance), so someplace quiet enough to read, well-lit enough to read, and where the environment encourages loitering long enough to read would be the likely criteria.

By myself, I like to read. With other people, it would be a nice way to invite new people to a gaming group without telling them where I live.

It would have to be a pretty compelling upgrade over what I had at home before I'd pay money for it. I'd be much more willing to make sure we ordered enough food/drink/etc to cover an hourly minimum order.

If it were a good place to read by myself, I'd go in the middle of the day on weekends to get out of the house. For a gaming group, evenings or weekends.

I dislike screens unless I'm actively there to watch something. I have a favorite doughnut shop that I go to every 4 years to watch the World Cup (I started going there the year the World Cup was in South Africa and many of the matches were at really early times like 7am where I lived, and liked that particular crowd so I tend to go back even when it's in an evening time zone for me), and I can enjoy the group participation aspect, but I find screens distracting if it's not what I'm there for.

It depends on the snacks. If there are a variety of reasonably hearty options like a cheese platter, I'm fine with grazing on a variety of finger foods. If it's just chips and sweets, then I'd be less likely to stay as long.

I don't really do Kickstarter.

Depends on what else is available in your area and how broad a net you want to cast. I have never gotten into Esports, and I don't know how much overlap there really is between that and tabletop. Personally, if I found a bar that hosted filk circles once a week (or month) and had gaming stuff every night I'd enjoy both of those together much more than Esports, but that possibly says more about me than it does about what goes together. Maybe look at what other kinds of tracks and events your local gaming cons offer and think about if it makes sense to support those things, whatever they are where you are.

Decstarr
2017-05-30, 09:42 AM
Heidelberg, Germany?

Far from my "neck of the woods" then.

Oh well, I won't let ignorance of the subject prevent me from having an opinion!

In California "drinks but no food except for snacks" would mean that no one under 21 could come in, and that would limit your clientele.

So you should serve food.

:cool:

In Germany its different, since drinking age for low alcoholic stuff (beer & wine) is 16 and for hard stuff 18. So I'd say that's a uniquely US specific predicament :-)

Thanks once again for all the input so far. We are just starting to do the planning and all this REALLY helps. So far, I hadn't even thought about an outside area e.g. but of course that would be super dope (and would likely eliminate Heidelberg as a possible location since space is pretty damned limited here. Which would still leave other cities, of course).

If anyone has more input, feel free to shoot me! I'll likely be setting up a real survey and the concept any time soon and will share that here as well.

CharonsHelper
2017-05-30, 09:57 AM
I'd also suggest looking up Snakes and Lattes in Toronto, Canada. I believe that it was one of the first gamer cafes, and it's done well enough to start chaining out. (And I know of several other gamer cafes which were modeled off of it.)

Basically you pay a few bucks/person for access to all of their games (it's a board-game focus) and they have slightly overpriced drinks and snacks (though they're non-alcoholic). Plus at the front of the store they have a small retail area where you can buy many of the same games they have in the back.

Also of note - I know that many board-game companies will give game stores a demo copy for free and/or even cheaper than wholesale. I'm not sure if it'd be 100% ethical to rent it out - but certainly not illegal. And probably not unethical so long as you carry it in the retail half.

Dappershire
2017-05-30, 10:28 AM
AFK Tavern in Seattle.

With this many bars already doing it successfully, I suggest ringing up the owner/manager of some of these places and interviewing them on how they did it.
So long as you're not competing, they should be helpful enough.