PDA

View Full Version : Frost Giant Question

KittenEV
2017-05-29, 06:30 AM
Hi, I'm putting my players up against 2 frost giants soon. To make it more interesting I wanted one of the giants to grab up one of the players and throw them/try to eat them. So like a grapple first to get them in hands and then next turn do a throw attack or chomp attack.

The only problem is I don't know what sort of dice I should roll for damage for hurling a player through the air and chomping down on them Attack on Titan style. Any ideas?

Also, does anyone know how I should do movement if one of the frost giants try to get away with a player in hand? Like half speed i'm guessing?

Khrysaes
2017-05-29, 07:20 AM
Hi, I'm putting my players up against 2 frost giants soon. To make it more interesting I wanted one of the giants to grab up one of the players and throw them/try to eat them. So like a grapple first to get them in hands and then next turn do a throw attack or chomp attack.

The only problem is I don't know what sort of dice I should roll for damage for hurling a player through the air and chomping down on them Attack on Titan style. Any ideas?

Also, does anyone know how I should do movement if one of the frost giants try to get away with a player in hand? Like half speed i'm guessing?

For the throw do fall damage. Have the giant throw them up(maybe at an angle). use the boulder throw range, or just say a height and do fall damage from there. I would give them a dexterity save to land and reduce damage, disadvantage with heavy armor, or not whatever fall damage says. If the giant spikes them into the ground, I would treat it as an auto hit with the thrown boulder damage from the giant, roll still to determine if it is a crit.

For a bit attack.. probably a D8? Thats what bears get right, look at the biggest bear in the MM. Adult Dragons are of similar size and do 2d10 but they have sharper teeth, so maybe 2d6 or 2d8. Give the giant advantage.

Laurefindel
2017-05-29, 07:45 AM
Use boulder damage. This way, you're not 'cheating' a bigger attack that isn't represented by their CR.

As for range, if you throw them 15 ft., PCs can (most likely) get up and attack again. If you throw them further than that, you're adding an ability that would increase their CR since the thrown PC can't retaliate on its turn.