PDA

View Full Version : Making an orc sorcerer?

Rfkannen
2017-05-29, 01:53 PM
Howdy! So I have a character concept for an orc sorcerer and I was wondering how would you suggest making it work? The orc is generally not at all suited to casters and I was wondering if there was a way to build it so that my being an orc is a benefit and not a hinderance.

Picturing her as a classic mage type, not a shaman or gish. High charisma would be good to convince people she was half human/ not get killed.

Useing orc from volos. Would prefer to not switch to half orc though if it really won't work I could.

No UA besides ranger. I am open to dipping. I would prefer to play a sorcerer but could be convinced to any full caster besides druid.

How would you do it?

Findulidas
2017-05-29, 02:12 PM
Howdy! So I have a character concept for an orc sorcerer and I was wondering how would you suggest making it work? The orc is generally not at all suited to casters and I was wondering if there was a way to build it so that my being an orc is a benefit and not a hinderance.

Picturing her as a classic mage type, not a shaman or gish. High charisma would be good to convince people she was half human.

Useing orc from volos. Would prefer to not switch to half orc though if it really won't work I could.

No UA besides ranger. I am open to dipping. I would prefer to play a sorcerer but could be convinced to any full caster besides druid.

How would you do it?

As the usual sorcerer you dont have to do anything special. Its charisma based and damage is done though spells. The intimidation is based of charisma which will be your highest stat so that helps. The melee orientation of an orc wont be very useful due to sorc's being mostly ranged spellcasters.

Be aware that if you have low intelligence in some games you are expected to speak more simply and be generally more stupid if you do that sort of rping. Scores under 8 particularly suffer from this. This obviously depends on how your group/dm feels like you should interpret things. If nobody cares and you really dont want to then why do it.

lunaticfringe
2017-05-29, 02:13 PM
Hope for good roll to put in Cha?

I allow people to swap out a racial Ability Score Adjustment in these cases. So instead of +2 Str you would get +2 Cha. But I'm fairly accommodating, I want you to play your Concept. Talk to your DM is my advice.

If AL Point Buy, you'll be a bit behind in the beginning but you should catch up. Sorcerers don't need feats at all really.